PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo and Microsoft Wake Up to Families

Elven6
June 29th, 2007, 15:48
This is pretty lengthy so I just posted the first 3 paragraphs.

After years of allowing children (let's be honest: allowing boys) to blow up spaceships, steal cars, and basically shoot anything that moves, the good folks at Microsoft who make the Xbox 360 video-game console have decided to go after a new market: moms.

That's right. Recent media reports said Microsoft plans to create a whole new set of games that will appeal to families. In addition, the company wants to make the family games that it already offers easier to find, placing them on prime retail space in place of war or sci-fi-type games. (Don't worry, boys, you'll still be able to get "Gears of War," Microsoft's best-selling game at the moment.) Microsoft may even cut the price on its game console before the holidays. Such a move is hard to even think about in June, but that's how marketing folks see the calendar.

Why the shift? Because nothing focuses the mind of a business executive like the success of a rival - in this case, Nintendo. But it's not just the wireless Wii that has vaulted Nintendo to the top of the gaming world. It's the decision that Nintendo president Satoru Iwata made about going after new markets.

Source: http://www.kotatv.com/Global/story.asp?S=6723648

Mabye Microsoft should advertise Viva Pinata a bit more, like showing an ad for it after the show is over or something.

h4s30
June 29th, 2007, 18:47
there are some people in microsoft that need to be sacked right now

nintendo is able to go after new markets due to how the wii is its simple easy for anybody to pick up and play

the xbox and ps2/3 are hardcore consoles unless you've been playing games a decent amount of time you're going to have some difficulty playing some games

i mean look at the controllers they have have enough buttons for like 5 wiis

xbox has just lost some points with me

Demolition49
June 29th, 2007, 21:13
lol funny how microsoft follow in nintendos footsteps just like sony have.... copy cats.... first sony with the motion sensors and now microsoft with the family fun games. Nintendo are the front runners and it looks like its going to stay that way as they always break the barrier.

paul1991
June 29th, 2007, 21:31
Acutally,
Microsoft was saying this befor the 360 launched.
They are just saying it again.
Look how much their "Our system for 30 year olds that live in their mothers basement and have no friends is acutally for families" campaign has worked so far.

Joe88
June 30th, 2007, 01:23
Nintendo is the only one who will accomplish this

VampDude
June 30th, 2007, 02:11
Microsoft will copy anything, the Wii is a family console and now Microsoft want to turn things around and create a new market within the market they already have on their console that is nearly and clearly going to be number 2 in the console market by attracting parents to play videogames as a family with their kids.

mnky
July 3rd, 2007, 16:09
i mean woah, appealing to a family market, thats just disgraceful. :@

VampDude
July 4th, 2007, 22:53
i mean woah, appealing to a family market, thats just disgraceful. :@

Why is it?

Microsoft want to widen their audience!