PDA

View Full Version : Ubisoft pulls DS game over offensive content

Shrygue
June 29th, 2007, 18:39
via Games Industry (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=26263#)

Ubisoft is pulling DS game Mind Quiz off the market due to comments in the game which have been labelled as offensive.

Poor performance sees the player labelled in a manner derogatory to the disabled.

Ubisoft has blamed the Japanese development team for the error and its own slack quality assurance.

"As soon as we were made aware of the issue we stopped distribution of the product and are now working with retailers to pull the game off the market," a spokesperson told the BBC.

"The game was developed in Japan, and we unfortunately did not pick up on the offending word in our quality assurance," said the publisher.

The offensive blunder emerged when a woman contacted BBC Radio Ulster to complain about the game.

The woman's three-year-old son had suffered from brain damage before passing away just before last Christmas.

_X_Zero
June 29th, 2007, 19:53
what? how is this game bad??

residentskitz
June 29th, 2007, 21:04
think McFly, think.

"The woman's three-year-old son had suffered from brain damage"

"Poor performance sees the player labelled in a manner derogatory to the disabled."

i've played this and if i remember correctly it says something about brain damage when you suck. like "is your brain damaged?" or something similar.

a screen shot would be nice tho.

BirdFLU
June 29th, 2007, 22:15
I read that it was Borat's voice saying "Are you retard like my brother Bilo?"

XDelusion
June 30th, 2007, 01:10
This is retarded!

wiggy fuzz
June 30th, 2007, 13:27
that's like nintendo pulling Mario and Luigi PIT or Pkokemon deamon because the characters say "Noob"

Veskgar
June 30th, 2007, 16:26
As if Manhunt 2 wasn't vulgar enough now we have brain training games using comical sarcasm to throw out insults to its players to motivate them to be smarter?

Shame on those insensitive Japanese developers. What were they thinking? I'm sure they were directly attacking mothers who have lost children to brain damage when they created that dialog.

I mean here we have a game that actually has the nerve to reward players with images of cute and cuddly animals for relaxation (PSP version). What the hell were they thinking?

OK but seriously, this IS retarded. It looks like the same ridiculousness we see when everybody tries to be "politically correct" is starting to surface in the Video Game industry.

If games like Mind Quiz can be censored and pulled off of retail shelves, the future is going to be very bleak in terms of creative content in video games.

So yeah.... this IS retarded. And the ones involved in the decision must be the ones with brain damage.

Dogmatic1
July 1st, 2007, 19:21
When you do poorly it labels you "Super Spastic".

The game clearly didn't go through much in the way of changes for the European market as the format it displays dates is something I've never come across before (Year/Month/Day), whereas the British standard would be (Day/Month/Year).

I'm glad it's been removed from sale... they should put more effort into making sure their product is suitable for their target audience instead of doing it on the cheap and putting out a confusing, offensive and well, just plain crap game.

devdj
July 1st, 2007, 19:35
this is bullshit