PDA

View Full Version : Review: Sony PSP Chotto Shot Go!Cam Camera

bandit
June 30th, 2007, 03:25
Sony PSP Chotto Shot Go!Cam Camera
Manufacturer: Sony
Site: Buy from Goldenshop (http://www.goldenshop.com.hk/AI-trad/psp/offcamset.htm)
Price: $49.99

Overview : Using the PSP camera, Chotto Shot lets you edit photos and movies by adding background music, effects, and a variety of other options. Chotto Shot requires a firmware of 2.80 or above.

CAMERA FEATURES:
Digital zoom.
Swivels to face user or away from user.
Mic on the side of Camera.PHOTO FEATURES:
Night mode.
Photos can be taken in 340x240, 480x272, 640x480 or 1280x960 resolution.
There are 5 sound effects for when snapping a photo: the standard camera sound, a gunshot sound, some weird cartoon-like sound, a sound ressembling the uncorking of a bottle, and a sneezing sound.
Can have a "Narrator" I guess you could say countdown how much time you have left until your automatic photo will be taken.
"Dogwatch" feature. When set in "Dogwatch" mode you can set the camera in a desired place and when something passes it it automatically takes a photo.VIDEO FEATURES:
Night mode.
Option to automatically take a photo every .5, 1, 10, or 30 seconds. It then compiles these pictures into a 15 second video.
Option to let you take 450, 90, 15, or 4 pictures whenever you want no time limit then it compiles them into a 15 second video.SLIDESHOW FEATURES:
Has a calander.
3 backround music's. Able to listen to while viewing photos or videos in slideshow.
4 special ways to go from pic-to-pic / movie-to-movie such as fade out or fade out and spin. No special way is also an option.
4 different times in which the photo's switch. 5, 15 seconds or 1, 10 minutes. No time is also an option.
Option to display date when photo was taken.Quality/Usability : This review is based off of the Japanese Chotto Shot. Sony has the European version in Europe. Those who have imported the Chotto Shot and does not speak Japanese fluently can go to http://www.yourpsp.com/goedit (I believe has other European languages as well) or see update below to download the English software (79MB). (You will be asked to register and enter PSP model number and serial number before downloading software)

The PSP Chotto Shot is one of Sony's USB peripheral device for the PSP. Their other peripheral was the Sony PSP-290 GPS Receiver (http://reviews.dcemu.co.uk/review-sony-psp-290-gps-receiver-62023.html). The Chotto Shot is a 1.3 mega pixels portable digital camera that was originally released in Japan and is now available in Europe under the name of Go! Edit. There is no current plans or date to release this camera in North America. By inserting the camera at the top of the PSP, you can take pictures and videos in no time. The Chotto Shot also includes a UMD software known as EDIT. The software is in Japanese. Go!Cam in Europe is in English.

With the PSP turned on, under the PHOTO XMB, you will see an option for Camera. Without the camera attached, you will be given an error message asking you to connect the camera. With the Chotto Shot attached, you can now use it. Upon selecting the Camera menu, the Chotto Shot will automatically turn on. There is a red LED next to the camera that will flash to let you know that it is on. There is no flash so you will need to be in a well lit area. You can use the Chotto Shot either with or without the EDIT UMD in the PSP. If you have the EDIT UMD in the PSP, you are given more choices and flexibility when using the camera such as timer, countdown, etc., as well as the annoying character helper on every screen but luckily you are able to turn it off. Without the UMD, you are only given the basic features.

Considering the Chotto Shot is only 1.3MP, it is on par with those of camera cell phones. Pictures are grainy when in a low light area but with a well lit place, the pictures are pretty good. You can take pictures in 320x240, 480x272, 640x480 and 1280x960. Again, quality of pictures are dependent on how well lit the subject and area is. You are able to zoom x2.0.

In Movie mode, you can record videos in 320x240 (15fps), 320x240 (30fps), 480x272 (15fps) and 480x272 (30fps). You are able to zoom x1.4. You can record as long as you want depending on the size of your memory card and how much free space is available. The bigger the card and more space you have, the longer you can record. With the announcement of the new line of Pro Duo Memory Sticks (Pro-HG): 8GB (late 2007) 16GB (2008) and 32GB (2009), the sky is the limit! That is if the PSP's firmware allows such a big card to be read and written to.

The Chotto Shot allows you tinker with the Shutter Sound as it offers you 5 different sounds and the folder number just like on a digital camera. Like camera cellphones, you have to ability to ZOOM -/+. Image quality for both camera and movie is FINE and STANDARD. You are also able to play around with the WHITE BALANCE and EXPOSURE ADJUSTMENT. Under the PHOTO mode, you are given an extra option, EFFECT which lets you play around with some effects such as SKETCH, TOY CAMERA, DISTORTION, etc.

Pressing the R trigger allows you to record movies or snap photos depending on the mode you are currently on. If you have taken any pictures or videos, pressing the L trigger will let you review your images and videos that you have taken. Pressing SELECT will swap between PHOTO and MOVIE mode.

With the EDIT UMD inserted into the PSP, you are given a few extra options. Here is a translation (taken from English Go!Cam):

MAIN MENU

VIDEO
--------
[ ] for replay of last video. R to record. X to stop.
The option list:
SAVE
CANCEL
PREVIEW/REPLAY
CONTINUE/RESUME

SELECT for option menu

Row 1:
1. Intermittent photo - 0.5 1.0 10 30 OFF - Takes pictures at set intervals
2. Time-lapse photo - 450 90 15 4 OFF - Each shot combined into video
3. High Sensitivity - Night mode

Row 2:
1. Show help
2. Show robot
3. Show date

PHOTO
--------
SELECT for Option Menu

Row 1:
1. Frame - TRIANGLE to activate
2. Watchdog - There 3 different type of dogs, and it watches differently. When activated, it requires different things to take picture

Lazy Dog: Detects Sharp, loud wacking sound, any short and sharp sound, and take a picture (A painful dog sound will be heard - like being wacked)
Old Dog: Detects fast motion, and takes a picture (A growling angry dog will be heard - as if the dog is biting something angrily, and swinging it here and there)
Good Dog: Detects any movement that moves, and takes a picture. Very sensitive to motion. (A bark - like a normal watch dog)

3. Timer
4. Timer Sound
5. High Sensitivity - Night mode

Row 2:
1. Sound FX
2. Show Help
3. Show Robot (helper)
4. Show Date
5. Picture resolution

ALBUM
--------
TABS - ALL, GROUP, VIDEO, PHOTO

SELECT for Option Menu

1. Show help
2. Show robot
3. Repeat
4. Play bar

TEMPLATE
--------
Choose video
Option
1. Template select (with confirmation)
a. Pixelated sound and video
b. LIVE NEWs footage (war zone)
c. MAMBO!
d. Surreal photo?
e. Reversal World
f. Japanese EDIT
g. Thunder & lightning storm
h. Cloud hell
i. TV Sitcom
j. Weird metal/goth

2. Preview
3. Save (save new file or overwrite)

SELECT for option menu

1. Top status bar (tooltips) toggle
2. Toggle helper
3. Loop video toggle
4. Timeline toggle

Conclusion : Overall, the Sony PSP Chotto-Shot Camera is a nice peripheral but will never replace a real digital camera. To get the best quality from the camera, you'll need to be in a well lit area or outside in the daylight. This is for fun, giggles and playing around with. Unfortunately, if you dont live in Japan, you'll have to import this. No release date or official announcement of any release outside of Japan. I personally prefer just inserting the Chotto Shot onto the PSP and snapping pictures. Hardly did I have the need to use the EDIT UMD and its special features such as timer and what not. If you dont know Japanese it will take some trial and error to understand what menu and button on the EDIT UMD does (luckily I provided a translation above).

*UPDATE*
Those interested in getting the Go!Cam English version can get it by following these steps:

1. Download (http://www.pspfanboy.com/files/UCES90027.zip) the program zip file. (79MB)
2. Extract the contents of the zip file.
3. Connect your PSP to your computer using a USB cable.
4. Go to the PSP/GAME folder.
5. Copy UCES90027 folder into the GAME directory.
(File provided by PSPFanboy.com)

Images via comments

Sketchy
June 30th, 2007, 13:35
I personally think this is a good idea, i mean the psp is now the ultimate multimedia device and dont forget the GPS either, it's a 7 in 1 solution now. Both of these accessories are small and compact so they aren't ugly - although in terms of the camera i think it is for ppl without a digital camera in the first place, with it's lack of a flash and below average MP. However good for ppl if they lack a camera and, like me, always have their psp with 'em thus taking holiday snaps in between munching terrorists in R6 Vegas :D

With the announcement of the 8GB and 16GB Memory Stick Pro Duo, the sky is the limit!

16GB!!! w00t! bandit d'ya know when it's released (I'm in UK btw)?? and/or how much it'll retail at??

Thanx in advance :D

bandit
June 30th, 2007, 14:21
I personally think this is a good idea, i mean the psp is now the ultimate multimedia device and dont forget the GPS either, it's a 7 in 1 solution now. Both of these accessories are small and compact so they aren't ugly - although in terms of the camera i think it is for ppl without a digital camera in the first place, with it's lack of a flash and below average MP. However good for ppl if they lack a camera and, like me, always have their psp with 'em thus taking holiday snaps in between munching terrorists in R6 Vegas :D

16GB!!! w00t! bandit d'ya know when it's released (I'm in UK btw)?? and/or how much it'll retail at??

Thanx in advance :D
There is no official release date except for sometime in 2008 (if it sticks with its schedule). All Sony did was show the prototype of the Pro-HG which is a new line of Memory Stick Pro Duo's and that was pretty much it. You can read more about the Pro-HG's here (http://arena.nikkeibp.co.jp/news/20070130/120722/).

I updated the review slightly with a little more information on the memory sticks.

cypressice
June 30th, 2007, 14:27
i think this is really neat but it feels kinda overboard, and i dont like saying that cause nothing beats a psp once you have cf installed. i would like to check out one of the cameras so i could make a better judgement.

tomkungnarak
June 30th, 2007, 15:08
I bought this little device together with a GPS after X'mas last year. I like it in terms of portability and the picture quality isn't bad. I mean 1.3 Mega Pixel may sound below standard for today's portable camera (in mobile phone or PDA), but when i shoot photos and put it on my computer the picture is beyond my expectation. Well, it's good for outdoor or a place that has enough light though. Otherwise, the picture is really bad. The video is not bad too. It has a built in microphone so you can use as a mic for some games like Talkman as well. I normally don't use the UMD that came with the camera. Because the later firmwares provide camera function which support unlimited video shooting (per your space in Memory stick)

I hope Sony will launch a Voip program that can be used with this camera and perform as a video camera. That is awesome!

PS I thought the camera is sold in EU already??

bandit
June 30th, 2007, 15:12
I bought this little device together with a GPS after X'mas last year. I like it in terms of portability and the picture quality isn't bad. I mean 1.3 Mega Pixel may sound below standard for today's portable camera (in mobile phone or PDA), but when i shoot photos and put it on my computer the picture is beyond my expectation. Well, it's good for outdoor or a place that has enough light though. Otherwise, the picture is really bad. The video is not bad too. It has a built in microphone so you can use as a mic for some games like Talkman as well. I normally don't use the UMD that came with the camera. Because the later firmwares provide camera function which support unlimited video shooting (per your space in Memory stick)

I hope Sony will launch a Voip program that can be used with this camera and perform as a video camera. That is awesome!

PS I thought the camera is sold in EU already??
I dont think so. I havent see a English box of it anywhere or more news or info or even topics about the camera being discussed.

tyranos
June 30th, 2007, 15:25
this post is old or something , because the camera is already being sold in europe
i think the release date in europe was around the 16 th may

bandit
June 30th, 2007, 15:40
this post is old or something , because the camera is already being sold in europe
i think the release date in europe was around the 16 th may
Ah yes, you are right. I forgot that it was released in Europe and is called Go! Edit. Time to update again. My review is not old but the review itself is based off the Japanese version. I'll have to get my hands on the English software and will probably update the review when I have a chance.

Mind you, I live in the US and not in Europe. So I dont know all the release dates or when products were exactly released.

tomkungnarak
June 30th, 2007, 17:18
Ah yes, you are right. I forgot that it was released in Europe and is called Go! Edit. Time to update again. My review is not old but the review itself is based off the Japanese version. I'll have to get my hands on the English software and will probably update the review when I have a chance.

Mind you, I live in the US and not in Europe. So I dont know all the release dates or when products were exactly released.

Don't worry. I'm sure it will be benefit to people who haven't got this camera yet. ;) I always like a review like this.

I'm in US too but I'm from Asia ieiei

urherenow
June 30th, 2007, 19:10
ahh... that explains it! I was going to ask where the english files came from. But I'm still kind of confused why the english files aren't in ISO format... I picked up my camera in Japan a couple of weeks ago. Had no idea you could change the resolution. I'll play around with it now that I have the english files. Thank you!!!

UPDATE: The english files don't work for me. PSP screen stays black and the power turns off after a couple of seconds. Am I supposed to rip my Chotto shot UMD and replace some files with these english ones?

and another problem: None of the UMD Dumpers I've tried so far work with 3.40 OE :( Which can I use to dump an .iso file now?

bandit
June 30th, 2007, 20:24
ahh... that explains it! I was going to ask where the english files came from. But I'm still kind of confused why the english files aren't in ISO format... I picked up my camera in Japan a couple of weeks ago. Had no idea you could change the resolution. I'll play around with it now that I have the english files. Thank you!!!

UPDATE: The english files don't work for me. PSP screen stays black and the power turns off after a couple of seconds. Am I supposed to rip my Chotto shot UMD and replace some files with these english ones?

and another problem: None of the UMD Dumpers I've tried so far work with 3.40 OE :( Which can I use to dump an .iso file now?
I'm running 3.40OE-A. There is no need to dump the UMD or anything like that. Why would Sony require you to rip the UMD? Let alone having ISO's. Sony would never condone such a thing. Just download the file I provided above, connect your PSP to your computer or memory stick to card reader and transfer files and place in PSP/GAME folder. The downloaded file has a few data files and a EBOOT.

The instructions on how to run this is all above. What kernel on the OE-A? You need to be on 3.40 Kernel. To find out what you're on, turn the PSP off completely (not standby). Hold the R trigger and turn the PSP on. You will be at the OE's Recovery Mode. Go to CONFIGURATION and see if you're on 3.40 Kernel. If you're on 1.50 Kernel, you need to change it to 3.40.

Sketchy
July 1st, 2007, 00:12
There is no official release date except for sometime in 2008 (if it sticks with its schedule). All Sony did was show the prototype of the Pro-HG which is a new line of Memory Stick Pro Duo's and that was pretty much it. You can read more about the Pro-HG's here (http://arena.nikkeibp.co.jp/news/20070130/120722/).

I updated the review slightly with a little more information on the memory sticks.

Thanx for that buddy - it was just days ago that i was saying 2 my friend that it wud b kl if $ony wud release a bigger memstick than the 8GB - in my collection i ave 2 8gig sticks and a 4gig both wiv less than 80meg left.....

And by 2009 $ony expect to have 32GB MS pro Duo's on sale......huh i can imagine that.......'the homebrewers storage choice, the new ultra speed 32GB Memory Stick Pro Duo form sony ONLY $358'.......:rolleyes:

urherenow
July 1st, 2007, 01:49
nevermind. I didn't know that it was an official file! (silly me, it wouldn't be on this site if it wasn't)

Anyway the 3.40 kernel thing works good, thanks for the info! Problem is that I keep everything with me to downgrade/upgrade someone's psp so putting all my usual stuff in game150 won't work for me (1.5 firmware won't see it!!) putting this in game340 seems like it will work but only for a few seconds (when it tries to load the other files but can't find them because it's looking in game/ instead of game340/) I wonder if I can do some hex editing for that....

Nope. encrypted... I'll just have to restart my PSP and change the kernal mode whenever I want to use it.

Again, thanks for all your help!

bandit
July 1st, 2007, 05:21
nevermind. I didn't know that it was an official file! (silly me, it wouldn't be on this site if it wasn't)

Anyway the 3.40 kernel thing works good, thanks for the info! Problem is that I keep everything with me to downgrade/upgrade someone's psp so putting all my usual stuff in game150 won't work for me (1.5 firmware won't see it!!) putting this in game340 seems like it will work but only for a few seconds (when it tries to load the other files but can't find them because it's looking in game/ instead of game340/) I wonder if I can do some hex editing for that....

Nope. encrypted... I'll just have to restart my PSP and change the kernal mode whenever I want to use it.

Again, thanks for all your help!
If you place your upgrade and downgrade files in GAME folder even though you're on 3.40 Kernel, it should work still. I think.

mcdougall57
July 7th, 2007, 14:04
i dont think the resolution would meet my needs

nice review though

goliath182
August 4th, 2007, 09:25
I Love this camera. The still Resolution isn't all that great but the videos are extremely high quality. A must for PSP owners

Jake123
August 7th, 2007, 00:57
when does this become available in the US

i realy want this

myphrill
August 8th, 2007, 14:18
Can the PSP webcam be used for video conversations over the wifi with other PSP users? I'm thinking of getting a PSP each for my girlfriend and I. Without 'skype' style conversation ability, the whole camera idea is fruitless.

bandit
August 8th, 2007, 16:51
when does this become available in the US

i realy want this
No release date for the US. Same goes for the GPS.

Can the PSP webcam be used for video conversations over the wifi with other PSP users? I'm thinking of getting a PSP each for my girlfriend and I. Without 'skype' style conversation ability, the whole camera idea is fruitless.
No this can not be used as webcam. Maybe if someone or Sony comes out with an app.