PDA

View Full Version : PS3 is Linux "supercomputer", claims Kutaragi

wraggster
June 13th, 2005, 23:06
Sony Computer Entertainment boss Ken Kutaragi has claimed that the PlayStation 3 is being positioned as a supercomputer capable of running multiple operating systems, with the Linux system to be pre-installed on the machine's hard drive.

Interviewed by Japanese website PC Impress Watch, Kutaragi lashed out at Nintendo and Microsoft for defining their systems purely as toys or game consoles, and said that PS3 will be sold as a "supercomputer".

In order to accomplish that, the system will ship with the Linux operating system on its hard drive - although it's not yet clear whether that drive will actually ship with the system as part of the default configuration, or as an optional extra.

Kutaragi claims that the PS3 will be capable of running multiple operating systems, and could in theory run Linux, Windows and Mac OS X together. He also mentioned Lindows, a variety of Linux designed to emulate the ease of use of Windows, and alluded to a "new OS" which could be the Linux-based system which Sony is rumoured to be working on with a number of other Japanese companies as a potential competitor to Windows, especially in the media space.

This isn't the first time that Sony has tried to position one of its systems as a personal computer rather than a console - the firm tried to make the same claim about the PlayStation 2, in a move which was largely seen as an attempt to win lower import duty from the European Union.

However, this time around, Kutaragi seems serious about the system's computer-like capabilities - citing applications such as photo and video editing as possible functions for the system's Linux operating system software.

Such functionality would be a logical evolution of the type of software which ships with Sony's PSX media centre systems, and would be an unsurprising addition to the box given the company's ambition in the home media space.

It's an area where Sony seems likely to face competition not only from Microsoft, but also from Apple - which commentators believe is likely to make a bold move into the living room with a new product line based on the popular and low-cost Mac Mini computers, and powered by Intel processors.

It has emerged that Sony did indeed approach Apple with a view to encouraging the computer maker to include the Cell microprocessor in its future systems, but according to sources close to the Japanese company quoted by the New York Times, Apple boss Steve Jobs was "disappointed" in the Cell processor and opted for the Intel deal instead, although whether technical or commercial reasons were foremost in that decision is still unknown.

RockGod
June 13th, 2005, 23:44
Big deal. Sony really has it all wrong. Although admirable in their idea of pushing technology in my opinion Microsoft has the better machine. Just because the PS3 will be a "Linux supercomputer" as Kutaragi says what matters and I hope your all with me on this is the gaming. Not using it as a computer. Hell, they sell Vaio's for that. Plus to me the PS3 is a bloated mess of technology.

They want to push Blu-ray on us and that's all fine and dandy because either that or HD-DVD will eventually be the standard but really how many of us (truthfully) have HD-televisions? How many of us will get into big Lan parties? Who will have two, (count them!) two screens/monitors to have dual display? Who won't try hacking the machine when bluetooth is enabled?

Sure Microsoft has similar goals but they are trying to be a bit more modest and keep us happy. oh and for the record for any fanboys out there: Killzone 2 at E3 was CG boys! CG! not realtime! And really, demos? who the hell cares about demos?

Dreamcast:The Father of all Next-Gen Consoles!
Dreamcast:The Legend will never Die!

ptr.exe
June 14th, 2005, 16:01
I completely agree, HDTV is pointless to me, and the hassle of setting up two monitors seems pointless, and as for blu-ray, most of todays games don't exceed the 4.7GB provided by standard DVD, or anywhere near 8GB by dual-layered. More storage really isnt necessary.

I think as it said in the article, Sony are simply claiming this to lower customs, and won't actually deliver any support for it.

The next generation, for me at least, will be dominated by Nintendo Revolution.

WSOUNitePirate895
June 19th, 2005, 14:21
I remember something being said about the PS3 not being made for gaming, its actually a multimedia inovation or something (iforget the exact words) but had me thinking....if not for gaming, what else does sony have in mind for ps3

WHurricane16
June 20th, 2005, 06:06
Just have to wait and see. Kutargi and Sony has lied and over imbellished things over, and over, and over again. What makes this time different? Crying wolf gets you no where, but I want to at least see if he can back this up.