PDA

View Full Version : holux 240 charge and use

cydus21
July 1st, 2007, 07:47
Hi all,

Is it possible to wire the holux 240 so tat i can charge and use it at the same time??

i'm not a electrical person, can someone tell me how the wire works? especially if the ground connecting to the PSP will cause any problem if i charge and use at the same time?

thanks!

*edit sorry one more question

issit possible to wire the psp remote control to control the directional pad of the psp?

thanks once again!

MIB.42
July 1st, 2007, 10:05
Hi all,

Is it possible to wire the holux 240 so tat i can charge and use it at the same time??

i'm not a electrical person, can someone tell me how the wire works? especially if the ground connecting to the PSP will cause any problem if i charge and use at the same time?

Not from the remote/headphone port unless you put in place a step-up converter for one. The Holux240 requires +5V from the USB, the controller only has 2.5V available. On top of that, we have no idea what load that 2.5V is designed to bear. So, theoretically it is possible ( with a current limiter added to the step-up )... But again, we'd have to know the load bearing capacity on that little port. I am not sure on the upper USB port... OR, we could separate it out and use the 3.6V from the PSP... Somebody who actually knows this stuff might answer more correctly...

Is it possible to wire the psp remote control to control the directional pad of the psp?

Not without some excessive cutting and soldering... ;-) From software it is possible to assign the remote control keys to certain actions though, I have done it before. However, this could not co-exist with the 236/240 GPS devices, as they are using the same data port...

cydus21
July 1st, 2007, 12:36
hi MIB.42,

i think u mistaken my first point. i wanna charge it thru USB not drawin power from PSP. sorry for not mentioning tat. so basically there will be two wire running out from the mini-b, one to psp and the other to a USB for charging

r2000
July 1st, 2007, 12:56
It is possible.
You just need to make a splitter cable.

cydus21
July 1st, 2007, 13:54
i was thinking of connecting the remainding unused wires to a USB. i'm only afraid of frying my PSP..

*edit

ok.. now i've found out which wire is the one for chargin my question is do i need to connect 2 grounds? 1 for the PSP data and the other for the charging cable?

Thanks alot!

r2000
July 1st, 2007, 14:10
For the PSP, you need to connect rx and ground which goes to the holux tx and ground.
To charge holux, you need to connect v+ and ground on the holux.
Yes 2 wires go the the same ground.

MIB.42
July 2nd, 2007, 02:59
hi MIB.42,

i think u mistaken my first point. i wanna charge it thru USB not drawin power from PSP. sorry for not mentioning tat. so basically there will be two wire running out from the mini-b, one to psp and the other to a USB for charging

- Charging what? ( PSP or the Holux )?
- "Thru USB" ( on what the Holux or the PSP or some other external USB device or USB charger )?

r2000
July 2nd, 2007, 07:06
Charge the holux.
That was what I understood what the OP wanted.

MIB.42
July 2nd, 2007, 07:11
Charge the holux.
That was what I understood what the OP wanted.

Ok, so far we are on the same page.
Next question : where does OP want to charge the holux from if "not drawin power from PSP" ?

r2000
July 2nd, 2007, 10:42
Ok, so far we are on the same page.
Next question : where does OP want to charge the holux from if "not drawin power from PSP" ?

Charge from a separate power supply.
Holux cannot take power from PSP anyway.
PSP can also be powered from a separate power source so this is not the issue.

I think what the OP wanted is a way to power/charge the holux while it is connect to PSP, thus occcupying the USB port which is also used to power the holux.

What the power souce is is another matter. He/she wanted to know how he/she can connect power to Holux while it is connected to PSP.

That is what I understood.

May be you interpreted it differently?

MIB.42
July 6th, 2007, 21:12
Charge from a separate power supply.
Holux cannot take power from PSP anyway.
PSP can also be powered from a separate power source so this is not the issue.

I think what the OP wanted is a way to power/charge the holux while it is connect to PSP, thus occcupying the USB port which is also used to power the holux.

What the power souce is is another matter. He/she wanted to know how he/she can connect power to Holux while it is connected to PSP.

That is what I understood.

May be you interpreted it differently?

Yeah, I thought OP wanted to charge the 240 from the PSP. In my case I have a car-adapter for my PSP and only have one cigarette lighter...

r2000
July 6th, 2007, 23:20
One cannot charge through PSP.

You can only use separate power. One for PSP and one for Holux.

cydus21
July 7th, 2007, 04:40
hi all,

after few busy days i manage to sit down and try to wire it up.. not very nicely done but i've done it! the charge light comes on so does the fix flashin light.

i basically wired the GPS -> PSP wire onto a car charger with split points. one for chargin the PSP and the other for data transfer. i will upload some pictures once i've got the time again!

thanks all for the replies

MIB.42
July 7th, 2007, 07:49
One cannot charge through PSP.

You can only use separate power. One for PSP and one for Holux.

Au contraire, see my post before!
It would just be a tiny bit complicated... We're "engineers", thus nothing is really impossible... :D

r2000
July 8th, 2007, 16:15
Au contraire, see my post before!
It would just be a tiny bit complicated... We're "engineers", thus nothing is really impossible... :D
By separate power I mean separate power connection. Of course you can use one power source to split the power to feed both PSP and Holux.

MIB.42
July 8th, 2007, 21:34
By separate power I mean separate power connection. Of course you can use one power source to split the power to feed both PSP and Holux.

Indeed, but that is not what I said in the post - needless to say -... Anyways, we all know what the sensible solution is.

sin22eze
September 22nd, 2007, 22:06
yep... just connect the red and black up to a external socket.. i've used the same plug as the psp, that way i am able to use the same charger to charge both the psp and gps...

http://img517.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cimg1406eh4.jpg

PDG
September 23rd, 2007, 01:31
yep... just connect the red and black up to a external socket.. i've used the same plug as the psp, that way i am able to use the same charger to charge both the psp and gps...

http://img517.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cimg1406eh4.jpg

Well i love my cable :)
Yes the prototype that looks like shit but it charges both PSP and Holux and provides MApThis with GPS data at the same time :)
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72462