PDA

View Full Version : Iso Loader found in new Official Firmwares!

DarthPaul
July 1st, 2007, 09:45
Source: DevsGen (http://www.devsgen.com/psp/index.php?topic=240.0;topicseen)

MathieuLH explain, on devsgen.com that firmwares 3.50 and 3.51 have an ISO loader made by Sony.

Mathieulh says that since 3.50 Sony left us a nice prx called np9660.prx, this module is no more than an iso loader meant to load encrypted isos from memory stick ( take a look here : http://moonlight.lan.st/3.50/kd/np9660.html ).
Also Sony have started to use flash3 and game_plugin seems to look for binaries from there.

The real question to ask is: " Why an ISO loader in an official firmware ?"

In here is a good question and the assumptions on the subject are on the way. Most probable gives as explanation that Sony will propose to play with downloaded PSP games via its network PSN. Would the era of the GOD (Game on Demand) be on the way?

Awesome,uh? Let's see if this gives us more compatibilty. :D

DIGG THIS (http://digg.com/gaming_news/Iso_Loader_found_in_Official_Firmware)

http://digg.com/gaming_news/Iso_Loader_found_in_Official_Firmware

Rules Reminder

The news of this ISO Loader from Sony doesnt mean we condone piracy and downloading of Sony PSP Isos, if the Loader is to be used as a way of loading your own games onto a mem stick then that is fair enough. Please remember that the downloading of ISOs kills off the very console your a fan of. Piracy is bad for all.

pibs
July 1st, 2007, 09:53
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=67430

theres a thread about this already

kcajblue
July 1st, 2007, 10:12
still interesting.
and since there is two it means more people will read it.

mat_dizzy
July 1st, 2007, 10:13
Haha.. nice! But of course im sticking to custom firmware, as always!

wraggster
July 1st, 2007, 10:14
If Sony can some how let you play your own legally owned games on a mem stick then i think it could be a killer app.

wraggster
July 1st, 2007, 10:15
hmm or could it be Sony allowing you to play your own PSX Games on the PSP?

DarthPaul
July 1st, 2007, 10:21
Someone please ban wraggster for double posting!! Haha :p
Well yeah,maybe Sony is trying to make more people use their firmwares. But that...that's pointless having Dark_AleX by our side.

wraggster
July 1st, 2007, 10:25
True but the easiest way to get people off Custom Firmwares is to dangle a big enough carrot to make them use the official Firmware

jonezybaby
July 1st, 2007, 10:26
wraggy double posted!!!!!!! haha

well remember the good old 3.00fw? plays only encrypted psx games!! along came DA and wow we have our own psx games!!!!

This gives DA sumet to work on and if this is the case piracy will rocket!!

wraggster
July 1st, 2007, 10:30
Well lets hope that Piracy doesnt win, remember that by pirating games your basically killing off the console you love.

Look at what happened to the Dreamcast

splodger15
July 1st, 2007, 10:46
I dont think it will get people of custom firmware I will not leave cistom firmware just for and ISO loader when OE have them built in. My personal opinion on this is that we shall recieve 3.50 OE soon so really there is no point updating to official firmware when we will already have it

gannon730
July 1st, 2007, 11:20
i think theres a chance tht sony have just made a few exploits whilst doin this

Veskgar
July 1st, 2007, 11:59
True but the easiest way to get people off Custom Firmwares is to dangle a big enough carrot to make them use the official Firmware

True. But at this point I don't think they grow carrots that big. The previous carrot was PS1 emulation. Regulars on this site will remember all the people (you know who you are) who stated they would upgrade to SONY's firmware even if it meant losing homebrew so they could play PS1 games on their PSP.

And look, SONY has a wonderful POPS emulator but they give us barely any games to purchase. So OE custom firmware from Dark_AleX has been godsend for PS1 fans.

Anyway, this doesn't surprise me. This will most likely be used for PSP games able to be purchased on the Playstation store. SONY is finally realizing that there are limitations with the UMD I think and that games play so much better off of the memory stick. Battery consumption is probably a big factor also. When you back your games up from UMD to memory stick, you save loads of battery life.

I think this is a classic example of "if you can't beat em, join em" - Besides, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery and SONY must be constantly impressed, also aggravated I'm sure, at the truly fantastic stuff the homebrew scene puts out.

I don't think this was on the drawing board when the PSP was created. I think SONY was really putting a lot of hope for the UMD. And while UMD is OK, UMD Video seems to have been a failure and a lot of people dislike the UMD in general. My biggest problem with it is load times. Not all games have load times but some games have unbearable and inexcusable load times. The next issue is the battery consumption part. I hope SONY is working on an even more efficient battery than the Stamina version.

Very cool find indeed. Puts a smile on my face... :thumbup:

nielsss
July 1st, 2007, 12:56
Piracy FTW =)

Mr.Denny
July 1st, 2007, 13:09
Anyhoo, I think it's Sonys way of embracing the world of homebrew somewhat.

Accordion
July 1st, 2007, 13:14
downloading full psp games off the psn is the most likely outcome. the file size is not a problem, ps3 demos can be over 1GB

remansano
July 1st, 2007, 15:57
Buy a full game and download it in the PSN would be the best.
Imagine: God of War just released and in a few hours the whole world has already downloaded it. AWESOME!!
Not to mention it would be a lot cheaper (since we would not spend money on the UMD disc, box, manual...)

gunntims0103
July 1st, 2007, 16:16
Sony is taking a big chance if this is indeed a ISO loader in there new firmware. There must be tons of loopholes in the code and an exploit will be sure to come of it. Well in the end it might just be better for the homebrew community as a whole.

Also on terms with the users leaving custom firmware to update to official firmware. That would just never happen. The official firmware cuts you off from homebrew, even if it allows you to play ISO's on your memory stick. It still takes away so much more you could do with the system.

Currently there is a ISO loader already built into custom firmware. For the decent people who don't pirate games and actually just dump there own copy of there legally owned UMD and play them that way. I myself find this feature to work really well.

Cloudhunter
July 1st, 2007, 17:35
Sony is taking a big chance if this is indeed a ISO loader in there new firmware. There must be tons of loopholes in the code and an exploit will be sure to come of it. Well in the end it might just be better for the homebrew community as a whole.

Nah, people said the pops would amount to exploits, and it never did.

The key thing is, that it is playing encrypted ISO's. Which means, it wouldn't natively load an unencrypted one, so no unencrypted code can get in.

Cloudy

Buddy4point0
July 1st, 2007, 17:46
awsome! now hopefully there will be a psp store where you can download full games and play them!
sweet!

Accordion
July 1st, 2007, 19:01
it could be a trap?
if people use this iso loader then maybe a team working for sony could work out who was using it...

nah!
ooh!
¿?¿?

mcdougall57
July 1st, 2007, 19:29
hmm or could it be Sony allowing you to play your own PSX Games on the PSP?

thats what i was thinking aswell lol and if it was true then they would release a popstation type app anytime soon

Accordion
July 1st, 2007, 19:32
thats what i was thinking aswell lol and if it was true then they would release a popstation type app anytime soon

ps3 only though.

factor remix
July 1st, 2007, 19:34
"Download Playstation Portable games via Playstation Network, play Playstation Portable games in your Playstation 3 or Playstation Portable System.

Start your game in you Playstation 3, when you have school... copy it in your Playstation Portable System to continue the adventure."

burrito
July 1st, 2007, 20:26
They need to get the Playstation downloading thing to work from psp, or maybe even from a computer, for faster download speeds.

Lodis
July 1st, 2007, 20:35
Nah, people said the pops would amount to exploits, and it never did.

The key thing is, that it is playing encrypted ISO's. Which means, it wouldn't natively load an unencrypted one, so no unencrypted code can get in.

Cloudy

The encryption will not matter. One of the features of 3.51 OE is to have a patched version that will load any images just like the patch for Popstation.

burrito
July 1st, 2007, 20:38
Dark Alex is going to let 3.51 OE use unencrypted isos. 100% No-umd compatibility :) http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=67447

parkermauney
July 1st, 2007, 20:57
W00T!

Now I gotta buy a ps3!

burrito
July 1st, 2007, 21:06
W00T!

Now I gotta buy a ps3!
Or wait for Sony to make a new firmware that lets the psp download the games, instead of a ps3.