PDA

View Full Version : Having trouble moving a file in linux

Man
July 1st, 2007, 17:34
I want to move the scph1001.bin, i own several old psones, so bite me, from one folder into the BIOS file in my EpsxE emulator, so i use the comand line and :

mv matt/scph1001.bin usr/local/game/epsxe/bios

but it comes back with this error :

mv: cannot stat `matt/scph1001.bin': No such file or directory

but obiously it is in that directory, hence screenshot:

NoQuarter
July 1st, 2007, 17:43
Okay it looks like your not specifying the complete path,am I to assume you are in your users home directory,if so you need to remove matt from your path probably because you are referring to the directory you are already in.Or yoiu could specify an absolute path.It also appears only root can write to that dir,use sudo

sudo mv /home/matt/scph1001.bin /usr/local/game/epsxe/bios.

What no beryl?lol
please somebody correct me if I'm wrong!

Man
July 1st, 2007, 17:48
mv: cannot move `/home/matt/scph1001.bin' to `/usr/local/game/epsxe/bios': No such file or directory

thats what i get when i do that, and my beryl/compiz was all screwy, so im not using it, and im going to cut the grass, so i might not be back for a little while :(

NoQuarter
July 1st, 2007, 17:51
If the file is on your desktop not in the folder matt then that needs to be in you path.
Run: locate scph1001.bin so we can see where it is from the command line.just drag the bios to the desktop and try to copy it from there.

Man
July 1st, 2007, 18:20
Ok, so im a F**king genius, all i did was modify the original .zip file, to have the Scph1001.bin, in the zip, so when the zip file overwrote the other files, BAM, on scph1001.bin in the bios file !!!

NoQuarter
July 2nd, 2007, 03:14
Lol,glad you figured it out.

parkermauney
July 2nd, 2007, 03:46
'sudo nautilus' will give you root abilities in the file browser.

Man
July 2nd, 2007, 04:02
Ya, BUT, i cant figure out joypad configuration, im just re-playing final fantasy 7, so iv decided to just use the keyboard.