PDA

View Full Version : Broken router port.

ganondorf
July 2nd, 2007, 04:36
Ok, so I was having some renovation a few days ago. I had to disconnect everything. When I was putting everything back together, I noticed the router was not working.

My router is a Linksys befsr41. I think the "WAN" port (the most important port on the router is damaged.) It looks completely fine though. The whole router is working except that port. I was wondering if there is a way to fix the port. Do I need soldering experience or something? I cant get a replacement because I opened the router to see what the problem was.

That was a very expensive router. If it is broken, any recommendation on what router I should get.

Man
July 2nd, 2007, 04:45
Depending upon what kind of connection your looking for, wireless or not, we picked up a cheap D-link router, and it works wonderfully, D-links are the best for the money.

ganondorf
July 2nd, 2007, 04:54
D-link huh. I will have to check it out. But I really dont want to throw out my router, it completly works except for that port.

Also, which is better, wireless or wired. My router is wired and it works really well (100.0 mbp's). Will wireless have interference problems?

kcajblue
July 2nd, 2007, 05:19
my cousins d link crapped out in like 1 week.
d links are cheap cause they are crap.

bah
July 2nd, 2007, 07:57
A mate had a d-link adsl modem/router, used to crash quite often under heavy traffic which really pissed him off, he got a cheapass billion one (I have the same brand) and says its a lot better.

Mine would be an older model, his supports ADSL2.

I think the big thing with more expensive models vs decent cheap ones is they often have better wifi range.

edit: Triv1um is right, linksys used to have a really good rep if you had the dosh to spend, i don't know much about their more recent models.

Triv1um
July 2nd, 2007, 08:20
Cant beat linksys. I have used them ever since they came out.

My dad uses alot of belkin too, you need to spend alot of coin to get a good one though.

ganondorf
July 3rd, 2007, 00:13
Ok, I guess im going for a new wired linksys. This really sucks because my router can split internet for 4 computers. Ahh well. Thats life.

parkermauney
July 3rd, 2007, 00:34
I've got a semicrappy belkin, I'd prefer linksys.