PDA

View Full Version : GTA3 for DC?!? For Real?!?

nate9999
July 2nd, 2007, 05:03
I was very shocked when i stumbled across this link of a group of people that appear to be trying to downgrade several aspects of gta3 to get it to run on the DC. The last update on this page however is from 2004. Anybody have ANY info to share on this project?

Here is the link
http://www.cuser101.karoo.net/gtafreedc.html

They call it GTAFreeDC!, and I would blown away if it was ever released.

JKKDARK
July 2nd, 2007, 05:08
No, it was fake sadly.

Masta-G
July 2nd, 2007, 10:45
Rockstar didn't port GTA3 to the dreamcast because it had limited specs (thats how they stated it right?)
I think it was just because sony paid them not the work on a dreamcast version, and the dc was failing at the time gta3 was released anyways.

ron
July 2nd, 2007, 12:37
I still remeber the day that appeared somebody in the Spanish pages of Dreamcast scene swearing that had one release. Sadly a great lie followed by some idiots.

Forget about that game in DC as Masta-G has said. The only way to get a game with these conditions is to wait for the scene with the new 3d tools....

The best is still to come for DC.

Regards

b0bel
July 2nd, 2007, 13:00
forget about GTA3 on the DC - it will never be possible...

but GTA 1 could be ported to the DC
http://ogta.fifengine.de/

nate9999
July 2nd, 2007, 17:59
It's a shame that it is fake. Some of the work they claimed doing on that page sounded legit and solid (guess we would have seen an update by now if it was for real), but oh well.

By the way, GTA 1 can already be played on DC through bleemcast, and it works quite flawlessly. Looks as good as GTA 2 did on the DC.

Masta-G
July 2nd, 2007, 19:54
Trust me the DC is very capable of running gta3.
When converting all of the textures to PVR format, lowering some bits it would fit nicely with its ram.
Rockstar just didnt port it because it wouldnt bring 'em any money, and Sony paid them to not release it on anything else besides the PS2 for the first 6 months or so.

Elven6
July 3rd, 2007, 21:23
People who say stuff that ran on the Xbox, PS2 and Gamecube could never run on the Dreamcast are stupid! How do you think games made for Xbox run on PS2? Or how Gamecube games run on PS2 and vice versa. Devs make it happen, if the Dreamcast made it a bit further we could have seen GTA on it eventually, probably with a bit better graphics then the PS2 versions I mean 4MB vs 8MB

b0bel
July 4th, 2007, 14:57
i think the DC could run GTA3, if Rockstar really wanted to release it on the DC.
But now? No source. This Game is closed. Also the game-data, which has to be modified, is property of Rockstar. So a port will never be possible.

the xbox/ps2/gc thing: the most games have been developed for the ps2. also the ports are officiall - made by the game-developers - not by home-devs.

I love my DC, and i don't have a ps2. through all my love for the DC - the PS2 is still the powerfuller system of this two. it has 4mb vram, right. but also more ram and a better CPU. Things like "God of War" are not possible on DC in that way they are on PS2

nate9999
July 4th, 2007, 16:15
so GTA3 is COMPLETELLY out of the question i guess, however, i had another idea. b0bel in a post above, linked to a site working on a freeware version of GTA1 for pc. Granted GTA1 is playable on DC through bleemcast, maybe someone can modify this engine to bring the camera down to first person view. Sure it wouldnt look nearly as good as GTA3, but work could be done to make it still pretty cool.

JKKDARK
July 4th, 2007, 16:51
That's not hard, nate9999. But the quality will be totally horrible and unplayable.

Elven6
July 4th, 2007, 17:45
the xbox/ps2/gc thing: the most games have been developed for the ps2. also the ports are officiall - made by the game-developers - not by home-devs.

I love my DC, and i don't have a ps2. through all my love for the DC - the PS2 is still the powerfuller system of this two. it has 4mb vram, right. but also more ram and a better CPU. Things like "God of War" are not possible on DC in that way they are on PS2

1. Thats true, but with commitment and good tools for a platform Homebrew can do anything. Its all upto the people to release the right tools to be modifing the files inside, and porting the tools to Dreamcast.

2. Of course the proccesor is better, but many devs said that Dreamcast games that take advantage of the system will not run on a PS2 without lowering the quality, greatly. We can see this in ma cross platform ports which were Dreamcast exclusives, they always get pwned for bad framerates, excesive glitching etc. Your probably going to say it happens with all games, which is true but PC games ported to the Dreamcast were praised for having good graphics and a great framerates, except for a certain few.

VampDude
July 7th, 2007, 17:43
GTA3 could've been possible, but for it to look anything like the PS2's version I think it would have had to be on 2 disks

JKKDARK
July 7th, 2007, 18:00
Of course the proccesor is better, but many devs said that Dreamcast games that take advantage of the system will not run on a PS2 without lowering the quality, greatly. We can see this in ma cross platform ports which were Dreamcast exclusives, they always get pwned for bad framerates, excesive glitching etc.

Exactly! Perfect example: Grandia 2

Elven6
July 7th, 2007, 20:16
Exactly! Perfect example: Grandia 2

I think Sonic Adventure was also a good example,

Cast128dreams
August 1st, 2007, 00:51
PLUS: Ecoo the dolpnin and Headhunter

1. Thats true, but with commitment and good tools for a platform Homebrew can do anything. Its all upto the people to release the right tools to be modifing the files inside, and porting the tools to Dreamcast.

So please the DC community needs someting FRESHING and quick.

narn
August 2nd, 2007, 01:54
I don't know if this is considered legal or not, so stop me if it isn't. I know there is a mod of Half-Life for the DC floating around out there. Could someone just make a GTA mod for Headhunter?

JKKDARK
August 2nd, 2007, 03:04
No. The Half-Life image was the commercial game developed for Dreamcast, but it was cancelled.

Elven6
August 2nd, 2007, 03:33
No. The Half-Life image was the commercial game developed for Dreamcast, but it was cancelled.

No, he says he was wondering if a mod could have been created for Headhunter.

narn
August 2nd, 2007, 15:30
Yes, Half-Life was never relaesed officially, and the leaked copy is Half-life gold which includes Blue Shift. However, a group of people actually made a mod to this game called "half-life opposing forces" which contains 2 more homebrew expansions and a ton of homemade maps and overall was done very very well (graphics are probably the best the DC will see and the save bug was even fixed). I could give a link but it would blatantly be to a warez site, so i will just not. Which brings me to the fact that i found out it IS INDEED illegal anyway, so I should probably just stop here.

However, would the Headhunter mod be legal in any way since it was actually released, and not stolen and leaked? Or is it basically the same concept? I feel that the driving around in this game is faster than in GTA games (except san andreas) and some of the details are more interesting (while some do suck more i guess as well). I think a very nice mod could be made to this game after seeing that Half-life mod.

Elven6
August 2nd, 2007, 17:46
It might be, but I don't know if their are any tools out to do it.

reliantkcar
February 20th, 2008, 23:07
SORRY DREAMCAST HAS BETTER RAM AND MORE OF IT READ THIS

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/ps2tech/page6.asp

I hate how people think the overhyped ps2 is more powerfull when facts and numbers show it's not

Shenmue wouldn't run on ps2 if you doubled the crappy 2x dvd drives speed and doubled the video ram to equal the dreamcast because dreamcast is RISC and can do more graphically while doin less work

sonic cd
November 22nd, 2008, 19:24
hi it would be cool if gta 3 was ported to the dc i hate sony for paying rockstar games to stop the the dreamcast gta 3
just think gta iv on the dreamcast well its just a deam on

kohan69
February 8th, 2009, 11:24
Dreamcast has GTA2, which is better than 3 and 4 combined.

F2bnp
February 16th, 2009, 18:41
SORRY DREAMCAST HAS BETTER RAM AND MORE OF IT READ THIS

I hate how people think the overhyped ps2 is more powerfull when facts and numbers show it's not

Shenmue wouldn't run on ps2 if you doubled the crappy 2x dvd drives speed and doubled the video ram to equal the dreamcast because dreamcast is RISC and can do more graphically while doin less work

Dude it's the 21st century.It's all about graphics cards ;)

jvilla1983
April 16th, 2009, 21:20
"SORRY DREAMCAST HAS BETTER RAM AND MORE OF IT READ THIS

Shenmue wouldn't run on ps2 if you doubled the crappy 2x dvd drives speed and doubled the video ram to equal the dreamcast because dreamcast is RISC and can do more graphically while doin less work"

Well.. yes it could. I've found that it depends on the development or the developers of the game and whether or not they want to push the hardware. The argument between RISC and CISC have been going on forever, some say one is better than the other. When it all comes down to it, it's a matter of programming, algorithms and optimization that make a program truely take advantage of the hardware it's running on.

For example, depending on the way one codes a program, an efficent program running on a slower CPU could beat out a badly coded program on a significantly faster CPU if the conditions were right.

As far as between the PS2 and Dreamcast, what matters more as said earlier is the GPU. I think the reason why games originally on the Dreamcast looked better than the ports to other consoles (Phantasy Star Online, Sonic Adventure dx/2, etc..) is because Sega wanted to release it's hit titles on other consoles to start bringing in cash flow after the amount of debt accrued from it's venture with the Dreamcast. In essance, it rushed development of it's killer games for some quick cash.

The PS2 shouldn't have any problem running what the Dreamcast has and IF programmed correctly using very optimized algorithms the Dreamcast MAY be able to run a great deal of the Software on the PS2. I say MAY because there are some titles which I would have a hard time believing on the Dreamcast (MGS3.. for example.)