PDA

View Full Version : Do you know someone with, or do you have Autism?

ExcruciationX
July 2nd, 2007, 05:41
The guy that posted this thread is an Autistic "sufferer".

I'd just like to know if you know someone that has it, since I'm bored.

ganondorf
July 2nd, 2007, 06:01
*noob question*

Whats autism?

ExcruciationX
July 2nd, 2007, 06:05
*noob question*

Whats autism?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism

SnesR0X
July 2nd, 2007, 06:23
Not personally, not that I know of anyway. I believe you said before you had a minor case of it?

splodger15
July 2nd, 2007, 06:57
Nope I dont know any one with Autism

Tesseract
July 2nd, 2007, 07:13
I'm actually in the process of being evaluated for a form of Autism called 'Aspergers Syndrome'... Got a friend who's been diagnosed, too.

Kind of a scary concept to think that one's brain is miswired and there's no way to fix it yet.

Severe Autism was most popularly portrayed by Dustin Hoffman in 'Rainman'. It's a situation where you have little to no control over how your brain processes info, but Severe Autistics sometimes have a unique side-effect... Kinda like having the fastest car in the whole world, but only because you've removed the brakes. :P They tend to be very intelligent folks, just completely unable to communicate it properly to others.

High-Functioning Autism and Aspergers' Syndrome are similar, only the 're-wiring' isn't as severe. There are still hindrances to communication... For example, I can't really read books all that well because I tend to try taking in the entire page, rather than just word-by-word or line-by-line. Just ends up confusing me. I also have extreme difficulty precisely communicating what's on my mind, which tends to lead to rambling with large words. ;)

What finally tipped me off was this article (http://thestory.org/archive/the_story_252_Whats_It_Like_To_Be_Autistic.mp3) on an NPR show called 'The Story'. In it, the subject was talking about how some of his thought processes worked... It was eerily close to my own. He was 40 years old when he was diagnosed... So I figured that it might be something to help explain all the frustrations I was having from how my mind seemed to work.

Again... it's.... kinda freaky.

ExcruciationX
July 2nd, 2007, 11:37
I'm actually in the process of being evaluated for a form of Autism called 'Aspergers Syndrome'... Got a friend who's been diagnosed, too.

Kind of a scary concept to think that one's brain is miswired and there's no way to fix it yet.

Severe Autism was most popularly portrayed by Dustin Hoffman in 'Rainman'. It's a situation where you have little to no control over how your brain processes info, but Severe Autistics sometimes have a unique side-effect... Kinda like having the fastest car in the whole world, but only because you've removed the brakes. :P They tend to be very intelligent folks, just completely unable to communicate it properly to others.

High-Functioning Autism and Aspergers' Syndrome are similar, only the 're-wiring' isn't as severe. There are still hindrances to communication... For example, I can't really read books all that well because I tend to try taking in the entire page, rather than just word-by-word or line-by-line. Just ends up confusing me. I also have extreme difficulty precisely communicating what's on my mind, which tends to lead to rambling with large words. ;)

What finally tipped me off was this article (http://thestory.org/archive/the_story_252_Whats_It_Like_To_Be_Autistic.mp3) on an NPR show called 'The Story'. In it, the subject was talking about how some of his thought processes worked... It was eerily close to my own. He was 40 years old when he was diagnosed... So I figured that it might be something to help explain all the frustrations I was having from how my mind seemed to work.

Again... it's.... kinda freaky.
Yeah, the doctors thought that I might have Asperger's.

Don't take Autism as an impairment. I see it as just brain enhancement with all the qwerks that come with it.

JKKDARK
July 2nd, 2007, 14:12
No, I never had it.

parkermauney
July 2nd, 2007, 16:54
I used to stack up cans when I was little, am I autistic?

ExcruciationX
July 2nd, 2007, 17:00
I used to stack up cans when I was little, am I autistic?
Probably not.

Triv1um
July 2nd, 2007, 22:55
No I don't.

What is it like.

Cap'n 1time
July 3rd, 2007, 02:58
I dont personally, but I have one sister with full blown Asperger's, and another with what they are calling "High Performance Autism", which to me sounds like a scam created by pharmaceutical companies. I do have a photographic memory and an odd ability to remember numbers (past phone numbers of people, old school numbers, bus numbers, house addresses, etc) but none of that is attributed to any form of autism.

I urge those of you who are being told you have some form of autism to do some research of your own and get second opinions. These days it seems like anyone will do anything to make a buck.

red_sox32
July 3rd, 2007, 03:12
grrrr..i have autism yea! *drools* i like bunnys *tries to bite ear and says my name at same time*

Tesseract
July 3rd, 2007, 04:44
No, red_sox... That's called 'paranoid delusional'. That's considerably different :P

And Cap'n, my waiting this long was because of precisely what you say. I first heard about Aspergers' about 2 or so years ago, but I didn't wanna jump to any conclusions. Also, I thought that a general psychologist wouldn't be properly trained to diagnose it, and that someone properly trained to diagnose it would see it anywhere. :P

It wasn't until I heard that article on 'The Story' that I really decided to buckle down, put my fears aside, and give it a shot. I don't plan to just roll over and make it easy for anyone... If it's something this significant, I wanna be damn sure.

From what I've read, though, there ARE fine differences between HFA (High Functioning Autism) and Aspergers', though they are very thin differences. Either way, they're almost the same thing.

red_sox32
July 3rd, 2007, 05:05
when you say aspergers it sounds like ass bugers. LOLZ

kcajblue
July 3rd, 2007, 06:06
dude sox, stop spamming.
and this isnt a laughing matter.

ExcruciationX
July 3rd, 2007, 06:09
dude sox, stop spamming.
and this isnt a laughing matter.
Yeah, really, sox. Don't be a jackass.

I actually thought it was spelled like "assburger's" when I was little.

red_sox32
July 3rd, 2007, 06:11
my bad. its just so funny. durrrrrrrr. lol no I'm done

VampDude
July 3rd, 2007, 16:13
Yeah, really, sox. Don't be a jackass.

I actually thought it was spelled like "assburger's" when I was little.

eX will have 2 of those, I bet you got asked if you wanted fries with that! lol :rofl:

ExcruciationX
July 3rd, 2007, 17:52
eX will have 2 of those, I bet you got asked if you wanted fries with that! lol :rofl:
An assburger sounds gross, unless you're into scat sex, or you're Hannibal the Cannibal. ;)

Anyway, what's it like? I'm not sure, since I've never lived someone else's life.

Whenever I'm in a strange environment (lets say a party for example) I'll eventually start flipping out (I have overcome this).

Mark30001
July 4th, 2007, 00:36
I grew up knowing a kid with autism, since we were in the first grade till we graduated high school.

I'm completely ignorant about how one is diagnosed with autism, but according to him, he became autistic after taking some sort of medicine when he was much younger.

Nodtveidt
July 4th, 2007, 13:43
A large number of autism cases are caused by the chemicals in vaccines.

ExcruciationX
July 4th, 2007, 19:36
A large number of autism cases are caused by the chemicals in vaccines.
I'm convinced that's the problem, although the medical profession won't admit that.

Tesseract
July 4th, 2007, 20:01
OFFICIALLY, there's no known cause. The number of people being diagnosed has spiked within the past 20 years or so.

I hate conspiracy theories, though, and I haven't been researching long enough to come up with a hypothesis of my own...

gdf
July 4th, 2007, 21:24
maybe you are just a spazmoid! no joking. but yeah i know a dude with asbergers, pretty ****ed up guy. some totally autistic people are awesome at maths especially...

VampDude
July 4th, 2007, 22:46
maybe you are just a spazmoid! no joking. but yeah i know a dude with asbergers, pretty ****ed up guy. some totally autistic people are awesome at maths especially...

They tend to make up in areas other than whats affected, so where someone is psycho that person could be the smartest person alive. I know it's not autism, but look at Stephen Hawking he is a genius!

ExcruciationX
July 4th, 2007, 23:35
...some totally autistic people are awesome at maths especially...
Unless you talk to me. I suck at math. It's dumb to me.

For me to excel at school, I need be on a sedative (to slow me down enough so I can learn something) all the time. I'm also good at humor when I'm sedated or off my meds.

Tesseract
July 5th, 2007, 00:00
Yeah... something like that would probably help with my issues with learning stuff... I love number-math, but I can't wrap my head around stuff like Calculus or geometry/trigonometry. Basically, if it deals in absolutes, I'm fine. Which is where my problem with learning how to program comes in :P I can handle HTML, 'cause it does exactly what you tell it to ("I don't even see the code. All I see is Blonde... Brunette...Redhead..."). I can't handle Java or C++ or whatnot 'cause you have to tell the computer how to decide what its supposed to do.

I just don't think I'd like the Idea of having to 'underclock' my brain just to learn stuff. :P I'd also be worried that my 'real' personality would be undermined by whatever meds I might be advised to take to combat the other stuff going on....

(EDIT: Ah, here we go. Found something useful I had been looking for for a previous post...)

Pervasive developmental disorders (PDD) like autism and Asperger Syndrome have been on the rise for years. Measles Mumps Rubella (MMR) vaccines and thimerosal-containing vaccines (which are approximately 50 percent ethylmercury) have been suggested as possible causes. A new McGill University Health Centre (MUHC) study, published in the scientific journal Pediatrics, assessed the link between childhood immunizations and PDD in 28,000 Quebec children and finally clears MMR vaccines and thimerosal-containing immunizations as risk factors.

ExcruciationX
July 8th, 2007, 16:36
Yeah, my question is why the heck they'd put mercury in a vaccine. No wonder it screws people.

Man
July 8th, 2007, 16:55
Its like putting toxins in smokes, it doesnt make sense, the tobacco kills its supporters, and some things are never known.

VampDude
July 8th, 2007, 18:34
Yeah, my question is why the heck they'd put mercury in a vaccine. No wonder it screws people.

They probably put it in the vaccines as it's an active ingredient?

I was bored and played with Splodger15's signature, no offense to people with autism I just thought this was funny when I had the idea to do this
Which I must admit is lame (I should've taken the O away)
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n304/vampdude/GTautoism.jpg

wolfpack
July 8th, 2007, 19:51
my girlfriend has autism, followed with a bunch of other disorders (OCD, ADD, ADHD) she takes many pills when she wakes up, and sleeping pills to get to sleep. plus with her OCD she tends to pluck out her eyebrows for some unknown reason, but she draws them in later. shes a nice girl though. but she cant keep straight eye contact for more than a few seconds, because her eyes start wandering off somewhere else. i guess before i knew her she was barely able to communicate and she'd stare at the floor a lot, but now shes better at looking at the persons face and talking. nice girl though, she just hates her family. she went goth after a while and right now shes very friendly to almost everyone. Her autism has affected her in the past but shes overcoming it pretty well.

scarph
July 9th, 2007, 01:11
I'm a counselor at a camp for disabled kids and stuff. Lots of autistic kids. Most are pretty smart and can sometimes talk. They get frustrated with everything however. I can imagine. If you know you could do something but you're being limited. Must be tough.

SSaxdude
July 9th, 2007, 02:03
I think I know someone who has autism. I have ADD and I take drugs for it.

Hello I have ADD.

Edit: VampDude you spelled autism wrong. What are you retarded?!?!?!?!?!?

gdf
July 9th, 2007, 22:49

Hello I have ADD.

Edit: VampDude you spelled autism wrong. What are you autistic?!?!?!?!?!?!

lol, look at the spoiler.

VampDude
July 10th, 2007, 01:15

Hello I have ADD.

Edit: VampDude you spelled autism wrong. What are you retarded?!?!?!?!?!?

Are you

RETARDED?
---
Didn't you see in the brackets in my spoiler that I said I should've taken the O away!

ExcruciationX
July 10th, 2007, 18:31
my girlfriend has autism, followed with a bunch of other disorders (OCD, ADD, ADHD) she takes many pills when she wakes up, and sleeping pills to get to sleep. plus with her OCD she tends to pluck out her eyebrows for some unknown reason, but she draws them in later. shes a nice girl though. but she cant keep straight eye contact for more than a few seconds, because her eyes start wandering off somewhere else. i guess before i knew her she was barely able to communicate and she'd stare at the floor a lot, but now shes better at looking at the persons face and talking. nice girl though, she just hates her family. she went goth after a while and right now shes very friendly to almost everyone. Her autism has affected her in the past but shes overcoming it pretty well.
Yeah, doctors say I have some effects of 6 disorders (ADHD, ADD, Bipolar, mild autism, and some other ones). I've managed to overcome almost all of them except Autism.

gdf
July 10th, 2007, 21:26
maybe you got a new disease, Exitis.

ExcruciationX
July 11th, 2007, 05:16
maybe you got a new disease, Exitis.
That's a positive way of looking at it.

Tesseract
July 13th, 2007, 00:01
I did a little digging and found that they've found an actual genetic cause for Autism and Aspergers' Syndrome. It seems that it's one specific chromosome that decides to misbehave which causes Spectrum disorders.

From what I understand, this region of the chromosome is swapped with another in Aspergers' and completely missing in those with full-on Autism.

Source: http://www.nature.com/ejhg/journal/v11/n2/full/5200939a.html

ExcruciationX
July 13th, 2007, 01:04
I did a little digging and found that they've found an actual genetic cause for Autism and Aspergers' Syndrome. It seems that it's one specific chromosome that decides to misbehave which causes Spectrum disorders.

From what I understand, this region of the chromosome is swapped with another in Aspergers' and completely missing in those with full-on Autism.

Source: http://www.nature.com/ejhg/journal/v11/n2/full/5200939a.html
It could be one cause of it.