PDA

View Full Version : [PSP] Dark_AleX Leaving Scene?!

Pages : [1] 2

D0N
July 2nd, 2007, 20:18
via Dark_AleX (http://dark-alex.org):

Bye, scene.

I've decided to cease OE development, and leave PSP scene.
The reasons are various.
One of them is the time it consumes, which i'm losing from other things.
The other is related to my security. I didn't like Sony menaces to PS3 hackers.
I think it is better to leave now rather than end paying the consequences.

DIGG THIS NEWS (http://digg.com/gaming_news/Dark_AleX_Leaving_Scene) - LETS SHOW SONY THAT WE WONT BE BEATEN

http://digg.com/gaming_news/Dark_AleX_Leaving_Scene

shorty_carnage
July 2nd, 2007, 20:33
D_A you will be greatky missed

shorty_carnage
July 2nd, 2007, 20:34
D_A you will be greatky missed

Cloud_35
July 2nd, 2007, 20:36
NO WAY!!!!! THIS A NIGHTMARE!!!???

anyway, if he feels that way, then so long and thanks for all the fish

SpacemanSpiff
July 2nd, 2007, 20:38
Well that just sucks

Napalm-Death
July 2nd, 2007, 20:41
Thanks for everything, good luck in whatever you decide to move onto. ^_^

MadCat_rus
July 2nd, 2007, 20:43
If this is a joke, than it is а REALLY BAD ONE.

cozy
July 2nd, 2007, 20:43
Hey D_A pass your info onto someone else......Please do 3.51oe-a before u go and thanx for all your hard work over the years :)

sapjes
July 2nd, 2007, 20:44
shit, I've just donated ^_^

too bad he's leaving, I hope he continues to support other ppl who are trying to crack them PSPs

Sterist
July 2nd, 2007, 20:45
umm.... he hasnt done anything illegal.. has he?

Scet
July 2nd, 2007, 20:47
is there som1 to finish his work on the new UMD iso runner discovery, and/or some new OE's? i hope so. but we love you DA. ill miss u. COME BACK TO ME!!!!

DrNicket
July 2nd, 2007, 20:50
Assuming this is true (the source seems legit), A sad day indeed.

Ethoscapade
July 2nd, 2007, 20:50
very likely he thought that a cracked UMD loader was putting somewhat too large of a target on his head.

SnoopKatt
July 2nd, 2007, 20:51
Too bad :( maybe the rest of his team will continue his work...

CaptainMorgan4
July 2nd, 2007, 20:52
Wow this is very random, this sucks, will OE continue through others?

Anonymous D
July 2nd, 2007, 20:53
omg i was just saying this to someone the other day, and it happened, i respect his reasons though and how much he has contributed.
i can fully understand his concerns over sonys action against homebrew.

jerrt
July 2nd, 2007, 20:53
well it will be sad to see him go. he has done some amazing work, but if he feels it is time for someone to carry on the torch, then i will understand.

here is to you. [: *raises glass*

IM back!
July 2nd, 2007, 20:54
sony wins, we're doomed.

splodger15
July 2nd, 2007, 20:54
WTF why cash it all in for what other things

ish420ism
July 2nd, 2007, 20:57
Let's hope Mathul will take over, with help from the noobz.
Maybe it's time for other guys to step up.

tallica
July 2nd, 2007, 21:00
I think this is a joke?

xg917
July 2nd, 2007, 21:01
WHAT CAN SONY REALLY DO TO HIM! SONY AINT GOT SHIT ON HIM DEM NIGGAZ R WAK AS HELL. NO VAYA PORFAvOR!!

Canti
July 2nd, 2007, 21:02
Nooo!
I just dl 3.40 just before this msg from his site...
This rly sux...
Whos gonna continue it...?

Sonicboy 101
July 2nd, 2007, 21:02
How unexpected.
Well, I am deeply saddened by this. :(

blindfold
July 2nd, 2007, 21:03
What will happen with us now? ;(

tvrstl
July 2nd, 2007, 21:07
FACK!!

Why???

and what did Sony do to the PS3 hackers?

this is a sad day indeed!!!!!:'(

Safari Al
July 2nd, 2007, 21:08
Why????????!!!!?!???!? D_A please pass on your knowledge of the OE firmwares to someone to continue this pleeassse!!! You will be greatly missed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

saint24
July 2nd, 2007, 21:09
sorry to see you go but self preservation always takes priority

take care d.a. and thanks for all that you brought us

gannon730
July 2nd, 2007, 21:09
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooo! dont leave us we need u Dax well gd luck 4 the future and kld u please relese 3.51oe or could u try nd get sum1 to carry on with ur wonderfull work first gd luck we will all miss ya D_A

xg917
July 2nd, 2007, 21:14
he will come back... i know it.. remember that guy that pretended to be dark alex.. and he had his website full of brickers.. well dark alex said he was going to leave at that time... and this isnt any bigger than that time.. this is just insane.. he will come bak..

Zin0099
July 2nd, 2007, 21:16
man i was gonna use the downgrader and use dax 3.40oe-a untill 3.51oe-a i might just update for this unless someone takes over

x3sphere
July 2nd, 2007, 21:16
This is no joke... he is really leaving.

tvrstl
July 2nd, 2007, 21:17
he will come back... i know it.. remember that guy that pretended to be dark alex.. and he had his website full of brickers.. well dark alex said he was going to leave at that time... and this isnt any bigger than that time.. this is just insane.. he will come bak..

I wish!!

****in' sony!!

but this will get their consoles to slow down sales I think!!!

jefdizon
July 2nd, 2007, 21:18
sorry to see you go but self preservation always takes priority

take care d.a. and thanks for all that you brought us

I'd have to agree, i smell a class action lawsuit coming, maybe that's why he decided to close shop before those corporate bastards at Sony start harassing him and his family. The hint is on the last two lines,

I think it is better to leave now rather than end paying the consequences.

To D_A, thank you for your efforts in supporting the homebrew community, truly the scene has lost one of its pillars. I only hope you were able to pass on the torch to others. :)

mexicansnake
July 2nd, 2007, 21:18
Thanx for everything Dark_alex, and good luck!!!.

Indeed he has done alot for this scene, he is a legend!.

parkermauney
July 2nd, 2007, 21:24
D_A, you will be greatly missed.

As for sony:

F*** YOU YOU G****** MOTHER******* S*** MY F****** C***!!!

wraggster
July 2nd, 2007, 21:25
unless someone has posted this in a sick joke on Dark Alex site then i suppose it is real.

Makes you wonder if Sony traced him down and gave him a cease and desist ?

ian h
July 2nd, 2007, 21:26
wow, shocking.why doesny da just not release the no umd iso loader?im sure ppl would rather see him stay than have this released right?

S34MU5
July 2nd, 2007, 21:28
:'(

parkermauney
From the looks of his site:

1) It was super haxxorzed

or

2) Sony directly threatened him.

(Bastards)

mexicansnake
unless someone has posted this in a sick joke on Dark Alex site then i suppose it is real.

Is real, look a his homepage. And it was confirmed by many well respected devs.

**** you stupid $ony.

jwilds73
So where can I download 3.40 OE from now? I haven't upgraded since 3.10 because there hasn't really been a need too.

VampDude
July 2nd, 2007, 21:31
Someone will undoubtfully continue where DarkAlex has left off, or DarkAlex is going to take a break from the scene then come back when he's reclaimed all the time he feels he's wasted building his reputation making OE firmwares!

tvrstl
July 2nd, 2007, 21:31
****, thank you wery much for everything "Dark~AleX"
You'll be missed!!

hope somebody can fit in u'r place!!

now, let me cry in peace!!

Damn Sony for this!!

mother****ing idiotic company!!

Now I'm Real Pissd!!

parkermauney
July 2nd, 2007, 21:33
Everyone DIGG IT!

DIGG THIS NEWS (http://digg.com/gaming_news/Dark_AleX_Leaving_Scene)

We need to get teh internetz ANGRY!!!

D0N

It's been confirmed by mathieulh:

http://forums.qj.net/showpost.php?p=1650315&postcount=20

wraggster
Lets get this news on digg and show sony how angry we are

DIGG THIS NEWS (http://digg.com/gaming_news/Dark_AleX_Leaving_Scene)

fucht017
July 2nd, 2007, 21:38
Thanks for everything you did for the PSP scene D.Alex...Use Your talent for other great things:thumbup: You made the PSP something realy special.:o..We already miss you.

Nicko01
July 2nd, 2007, 21:42
!!!! OMFG
This just SUCKS.
HarleyG can still make the CFW's...

Justise
July 2nd, 2007, 21:42
No! Tell Me This Is A Joke!
Aaaaaa!!!!!

Is there anybody else who can release a Homebrew free Firmware???

porchemasi
July 2nd, 2007, 21:47
omgss why can't he just develop the code and release it on a libary pc or privately! lol this is rediculous!

drock82
July 2nd, 2007, 21:52
his greatest achievement was no doubt the cracking of the ps1 emulator,i hate that hes quiting but hey hopefully he'll just be behind the scenes and assist others who wants to finish his work-i guess it wont be name oe no more -if its not patent:p,well anways ill be updating to 3.40 0e,im really gonna miss the no umd function:mad:

steve520
July 2nd, 2007, 21:59
I really wish you wouldn't leave Dark_Alex your like everybodys idol, but if thats what you have to do than go for it and thanks for your hardwork.

July 2nd, 2007, 22:03
THIS IS NOT SONYS FAULT

starogre
July 2nd, 2007, 22:04
IF THERE ARE NO MORE OE'S (even tho there will be)

EVERYONE BOYCOTT SONY'S NEW UPGRADES

scarph
July 2nd, 2007, 22:05
This is a great loss, yes, however Dark Alex can be replaced. Its that team C+D that do some hard work. Once we have a cracked firmware, theres a handful of people in the world that can make an OE. Source code is out correct?

factor remix
July 2nd, 2007, 22:07
whatever.... we still have because25, strmnnrmn... and.... noobz?

dthpsc
July 2nd, 2007, 22:11
This blows hardcore but I guess we've got to respect the man's right to leave the scene (?)... :/

Robertlatacz
July 2nd, 2007, 22:13
How much do you think sony paid him to stop?

Lodis
July 2nd, 2007, 22:14
whatever.... we still have because25, strmnnrmn... and.... noobz?

This is exactly why those ungrateful idiots cussing Becus25's custom firmware calling it crap should have kept their mouths firmly shut. The number of times I have heard comments like ''Why use Becus25's custom firmware because we have 3.40 OE''

Anyway, if this news is true then it is sad but I do not understand why he just doesn't take a long break instead of leaving completely. This is something he clearly loves doing and gets alot of enjoyment out of so to give this up might not be a good idea but thats how it goes.

Cokemusic
July 2nd, 2007, 22:21
Sony hatred increased 10,000%

nielsss
July 2nd, 2007, 22:22
man wtf **** **** this sucks ass i normally dont swear but this rly sucks balls

Dark alex, all the best you've a great hacker to the community

OH and once again f u c k

factor remix
July 2nd, 2007, 22:23
dark_alex is study in hight school (like me)...

let him get a great life please...

ps: Offcourse I will miss dark_alex, but whatever... he decided to retire...

scarph
July 2nd, 2007, 22:25
he is not in high school. He has a real programming job...

Kakkaman
July 2nd, 2007, 22:26
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Please! Someone keep making OE:s, PLEASE?

ICE
July 2nd, 2007, 22:26
crap

Cokemusic
July 2nd, 2007, 22:27
Dark Alex leaving the scene might encourage more competition and might actually be more beneficial.

From what i've seen he is one of the if not the most popular PSP coders, everyone who can code customer firmware will be fighting for the title of homebrew king.

Where there's a will there's a way.

kcajblue
July 2nd, 2007, 22:30
it still sucks that hes leaving.
he was a person who probably had the most impact on the psp homebrew scene.

Triv1um
July 2nd, 2007, 22:38
great loss in this vast community. If this is true it will damage this community.

Ashame but he has a life.

zoson
July 2nd, 2007, 22:40
He should apply for a job at Sony in the development department. Make that money.

Thanks for the work you've done, DA.

rommaster321
July 2nd, 2007, 22:44
A very sad day indeed, Dark_aleX will be greatly missed... Thanks for all you did

I bet Sony did some kind of threat, i hope new coder's don't get scared now that this happened.

voodoo69
July 2nd, 2007, 22:46
i think what happened is he got a good offer from Sony)))) who would refuse a lifetime employment with ... zeros in your paycheck?

starogre
July 2nd, 2007, 22:49
Yes, thanks for the hard work...

The emulators are fun enough to play that I don't play many psp games...In fact, there are so many old games I can play on my psp to keep me occupied for huge lengths of time from here on out.

Jeez, even the new psp games aren't that great, or at least at the moment, so I don't know if i would really want to update to sony's official firmwares...ever...if there are no more OE's, of course...

However, if enough people don't update, sony may lose business in their newer games (there are still tons of people without homebrew firmwares, though :/ ), so maybe sony will cut down their new firmware releases, doubtfully though because of features not just games...

parkermauney
July 2nd, 2007, 22:53
That won't work, there are WAYYY too many noobs.

factor remix
July 2nd, 2007, 22:56
ok whatever... we have oe.

Thats all I need for my psp, 3.40 oe

ps: everyone from dcemu is in this topic, look below at the "Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread"

Buddy4point0
July 2nd, 2007, 22:58
this had better be
http://www.stampandshout.com/_gfx/_btn/_tn/bullshit.gif
please!
if not i hope the guy making the other custom firmwares starts working on new firmwares.

Buddy4point0, ab88, ahmedm00, Airdevil, amororis, bails, bish, bluman, bubba421, bumfacekilla, Cascade, Chameleon, Cloudhunter, Cokemusic, CRanga, darB, Darkfrost, DenGladeBagaren, diagrafi, DogmanSp, double_d, Draak332, dthpsc, duvala, Eterius, factor remix, fanpages, FrostyTheSnowman, gammern, grobyc47, homemade, humble, ian h, Jelly4000, jxa3625, Kakkaman, kgsws˜™, lionheartng, Lodis, mangravy, marcnet, mareko_pl, Mew, migsgiz, mikebeaver, mp3man, Mr. Bungle, murgo, m_d_uk, neenoo, Neo Zeed, Nicko01, nielsss, Nipedley, noeleyc, NoQuarter, oafan, ogm, One Eyed Newt, PadTheMad, parkermauney, PeterFile, pete_uk, Predator, RevVS, ricki_b, Robertlatacz, rommaster321, RV2006, scarph, Sharpy, Shtroodle, spectrum3, spider_ppc, Squidman, starogre, swordmasterx, Tesseract, theICE_MAN, Veskgar, voodoo69, waco13, Wings1, wolfrainxd, xardas, Yankee_182, ZeakStarwind, Zhenek, zoson
and many others love you man

unfortunently i think this might have something to do with sony and big money

Cloudhunter
July 2nd, 2007, 23:00
THIS IS NOT SONYS FAULT

O RLY?

'Nuff said.

This is exactly why those ungrateful idiots cussing Becus25's custom firmware calling it crap should have kept their mouths firmly shut. The number of times I have heard comments like ''Why use Becus25's custom firmware because we have 3.40 OE''

Anyway, if this news is true then it is sad but I do not understand why he just doesn't take a long break instead of leaving completely. This is something he clearly loves doing and gets alot of enjoyment out of so to give this up might not be a good idea but thats how it goes.

You know why we say it's crap? It's because it IS crap. I've heard of many semi bricks from it, or worse.

And his 3.02 IE? Give me a break, that's just an addon to 3.02 OE, and he named it as a entirely new firmware...

Cloudy

kcajblue
July 2nd, 2007, 23:01
i remember when everyone used to just have 1.50 and that was fine.
then the OE firmwares came out and i was like wtf is this!?!?!?! i dont want it. ill stick with 1.50.

oh and buddy. i should be part of that list too.

parkermauney
July 2nd, 2007, 23:03
Matheluih (sp?) isn't going to code alone.

So OE is pretty much done for.

penileartery
July 2nd, 2007, 23:03
OH SNAP.

ARE you serious?

sony, i completely hate you, i guarantee its your fault, why would you do this. because you cant outcode him?

i dont think he would just leave, specially with this new OE on its way. i know it

Airdevil
July 2nd, 2007, 23:07
Only one word to say in this situation

BRIBES

The only poss reason i can think of.

Buddy4point0
July 2nd, 2007, 23:11
well i hope he at least relises 3.51 oe
we will deffinantly miss you man

Cloudhunter
July 2nd, 2007, 23:11
Only one word to say in this situation

BRIBES

The only poss reason i can think of.

Nope.

He just didn't want to get into trouble for OE.

Cloudy

Cokemusic
July 2nd, 2007, 23:13
I heard that people with OE firmwares are stuck @ that forever .

Something about the PSP loosing it's ability to run official firmware ?

Is there any truth in this , and if so is there anything that can be done ?

ahmedm00
July 2nd, 2007, 23:16
When the 100% No-UMD functionality was released every assumed that this was the "big news" that was building up....but to me THIS is the big news!! :(

I wish you all the best Dark_Alex! you have been amazin! Thanks for contributing so much!

Uberman
July 2nd, 2007, 23:16
Way to go, Sony. If you can't beat 'em, take legal action. :mad:

This is the problem, however, of this type of thing going through one person. It's a single point of failure, a single point of attack. If 30 people knew how to do this, if 100, if 1000 knew, then it would be far tougher for Sony to stop things. This is why file sharing had to become decentralized.

Cloudhunter
July 2nd, 2007, 23:20
I heard that people with OE firmwares are stuck @ that forever .

Something about the PSP loosing it's ability to run official firmware ?

Is there any truth in this , and if so is there anything that can be done ?

It's only downgraded TA-082's which can't upgrade to 3.30 plus... Other PSP's can always go back to official Sony firmware.

Not like losing out on official firmware is a big thing though.

Cloudy

starogre
July 2nd, 2007, 23:22
i doubt it cokemusic...

i think that now sony has the upper hand in releasing newer firmwares with the final fantasy psp games coming out....eventually...

they don't have me yet, though...i'd rather have emulators than the crap psp games they've been coming out with....

the rumor you are thinking of is probably something about people who downgraded from 3.5 using lumines with a TA 082 motherboard can't update back to official firmwares without the release of a tool (or at least thats what Noobz talked about - they said they were looking at that tool as a future release)

and yes, sony had to have done something, DA wouldn't just quit right before releasing his last OE (especially without a final, more formal, goodbye), unless he thinks he pushed sony too far in hacking the security patches constantly...

Airdevil
July 2nd, 2007, 23:23
argh ive decided that if no new OE firmwares are made, im going to have to buy a new psp, cause im not loosing the great functionality of the OE for the likes of new UMD releases.

GOW is something which makes me want to buy a new psp.

alucard001
July 2nd, 2007, 23:25
i dont think he's goin anywhere, i think he just wants a reminder of why he's workin hard for us, all he wants to hear is how much he will be missed, and how good he is at wat he does. i think its to reasure himself, that even tho he isnt changing lives, he is still making a lot of people happy, including me, i hope this is the reason, and hopefully he doesnt leave the scene

shango46
July 2nd, 2007, 23:26
Well, this is certainly a dark day for the PSP scene. You will be greatly missed. Thank you for all of your hard work and dedication. I hope the source code for OE will be released so others can pick up where D_A left off.

xg917
July 2nd, 2007, 23:28
now i feel like there is no reason to own a psp. until N64 fully works on it. i might not play my psp ever again..

Cloudhunter
July 2nd, 2007, 23:32
argh ive decided that if no new OE firmwares are made, im going to have to buy a new psp, cause im not loosing the great functionality of the OE for the likes of new UMD releases.

GOW is something which makes me want to buy a new psp.

Devhook anyone?

Cloudy

parkermauney
July 2nd, 2007, 23:38
Yeah, I was just thinking that.

Since OE, Booster hasn't been working on it.

ahmedm00
July 2nd, 2007, 23:39
now i feel like there is no reason to own a psp. until N64 fully works on it. i might not play my psp ever again..

or u can jst get the old N64 out and play that instead of waiting, and continue to just use your psp

JKKDARK
July 2nd, 2007, 23:39
It's very sad, these custom firmwares are amazing :(

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 164 (75 members and 89 guests)

Anonymous D
July 2nd, 2007, 23:41
speaking of booster has anyone heard anything of any new devhooks? does the current one support newer fws?

mcdougall57
July 2nd, 2007, 23:41
goodbye you shall be surely missed by the homeberew scene

xg917
July 2nd, 2007, 23:43
or u can jst get the old N64 out and play that instead of waiting, and continue to just use your psp

i do have an n64 but its more exciting playing it portably.. also most of my games dont work on n64

Devhook anyone?

Cloudy

good point.

hey has any1 tried this? : put a compatible umd in your psp, click on the umd icon, right after the gameboot logo goes black, switch umds with one that isnt compatible with the firmware you are on. and see if it works.

sorry if that was mentioned but i havent had a chance to try it

DragonPimpsta
July 2nd, 2007, 23:45
this is a historical date

BYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Shiori
3.40 OE-A will still be good for a long time.

Tesseract
I'm more likely to blame the recent BBC Article (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6397797.stm) featuring Dark Alex and Fanjita. It brought them a little bit more into the public eye, instead of quietly respected in the 'Scene'. This made them bigger targets for possible harassment by SONY....

I too hope that the Source will be passed on so that work can continue in other hands. I wish DA well, and hope that he doesn't get into any serious trouble because of his amazing work.

JKKDARK
July 2nd, 2007, 23:47
Yes, the devhook is really useful. We need to do what we did before if we want to still use the new updates from Sony.

burrito
July 2nd, 2007, 23:49
Damn it. He should have at least made OE open source, so that it could be continued.

psman
July 2nd, 2007, 23:50
thank you very much. we truely lost one of the best. we all miss you

parkermauney
July 2nd, 2007, 23:50
It's titled "Open Edition", Why?

I emailed sony politely asking about it, and still haven't a response.

Neo9786
July 2nd, 2007, 23:51
you will be missed! thank you for everything you have done!

ZeakStarwind
July 2nd, 2007, 23:52
It was nice of you to help in the service of those in needs of the community for the freedom of homebrew and for the sake of all homebrew community. You have my grattitude and you will be known for all. Dark_AleX, live on and prosper.

I feel like I should help out the community as well for the custom firmwares. hell, I think I'm going to start learning how to code. If there is a source code for custom firmwares it would be most grateful to have a link to it or just e-mail it. But...don't think I'll be learning constantly as I too have to do my studies at College.

Cheers.

Xiofire
July 2nd, 2007, 23:53
Is it me, or do those reasons seem abnormaly feeble/weak? They just dont seem like big enough problems to cause such a drastic result.
Anyway, props to DA, he has made the PSP the best handheld on the market with his firmware. Sorry to see yew go.
-Xiofire
(PS: Dont flame me for the above comments)

Tetris999
July 2nd, 2007, 23:54
Yawn who cares somebody can take charge, its not like he was the ONLY one who could make custom firmwares

someone is bound to do it, the reason why nobody else was because there was somebody already doing it, no biggie

if people want it, someones gonna make it aight?

im pretty pissed though, he shouldnt have built momentum and promised some cool new stuff then smash it at the very end

i dont know who to be angry at actually...

mavsman4457
July 2nd, 2007, 23:57
What a shame. Now all of the people criticizing the other custom firmwares saying, "What's the point? Dark_AleX's is so much better," will eat their words and come crawling back to the other custom firmware makers. It's up in the air for another person to become famous and adored so fill that role.

robotdevil
July 2nd, 2007, 23:59
Nor will you, beyond canned generic responses that is. I've tried before.

Anyway, Dark_Alex you will be missed, I like many others hope you continue from behind the scene in helping other devs with their code. I do, however completely understand your reasons for leaving and wish you the best.

And to the rest of you, don't get carried away in blaming Sony, you must see this from their point of view too. Since you have emulators from many other systems running on the PSP, if Sony makes no efforts to stop it then they could be considered as supporting it, which could spell a HUGE lawsuit for Sony. Sony is a big corporation that has lasted many years and many lawsuits, if they felt they would lose more money by stopping homebrew then they would silently comply. The simple fact that it still exists after this long should be a clue that maybe Sony isn't trying as hard as they could. So lets get the Sony bashing under control peeps, without 'em you wouldn't bitch about PSP development at all.

Again, Dark_Alex we wish you the best and hope for your glorious return to PSP hacking.

parkermauney
July 2nd, 2007, 23:59
What a shame. Now all of the people criticizing the other custom firmwares saying, "What's the point? Dark_AleX's is so much better," will eat their words and come crawling back to the other custom firmware makers. It's up in the air for another person to become famous and adored so fill that role.

No offense, but the other ones kind of suck, and cause brickage.

Nicko01
July 3rd, 2007, 00:00
This is shocking for all of us.
The question now is who is going to take over?
I hope that he passes the source to the major contributors like team Noobz, team C+D, and Becus25.

l33t_haxz0r
July 3rd, 2007, 00:06
dang.. this sucks... D A you did good for psp owners everywhere

Shiori
July 3rd, 2007, 00:06
So... Erm... Will my OE psp melt now? Or come to a sudden untimely end? Or what?

xg917
July 3rd, 2007, 00:10
i am sure he will be back.. and with a new identity

paladinja
July 3rd, 2007, 00:11
"nnnnNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO(etc)"
-Vader

Neo9786
July 3rd, 2007, 00:12
i am sure he will be back.. and with a new identity

thats true... didn't the same thing happen with DevHook?

maxipower90
July 3rd, 2007, 00:19
we r screwed now, nooooo

xg917
July 3rd, 2007, 00:20
thats true... didn't the same thing happen with DevHook?

i dont know but it is 100% possible that he can use a different identity. comming back as a new person on his own forums or where ever dax used to hang out would be a great start, and math would know he is dax but pretend that he doesnt know. everything would be great even if no one didnt know that he came back

or maybe just come back as an anonymous coder

mfz64
July 3rd, 2007, 00:22
hell no! damn this sucks! DAX was loved by everyone in the psp scene....so what the hell's gonna happen to 3.51 OE-A?

parkermauney
July 3rd, 2007, 00:28
http://snappoll.com/poll/204314.php

VOTE!

Balthasar00
July 3rd, 2007, 00:37
ouch, that a bad new. Hope you will reconsider.. :D

luis_05
July 3rd, 2007, 00:39
sad news indeed :-(

DarthPaul
July 3rd, 2007, 00:40
whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat Theeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. ................................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!???????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????

starogre
July 3rd, 2007, 00:45
im surprised this many people are surprised...i saw this coming a loooooooong time ago.

he actually stayed in the scene longer than i expected...good for him! :) proved me slightly wrong

rabidchild
July 3rd, 2007, 00:54
To Dark-Alex, thanks for all your great work.

Hey, Sony congrats! You know what you've won? I'm going to not buy another single game that requires an upgrade. Just like I did with 1.50. You should thank Dark-Alex because without him, your handheld would have sold a lot fewer games.

starogre
July 3rd, 2007, 00:58
To Dark-Alex, thanks for all your great work.

Hey, Sony congrats! You know what you've won? I'm going to not buy another single game that requires an upgrade. Just like I did with 1.50. You should thank Dark-Alex because without him, your handheld would have sold a lot fewer games.

exactly, if everyone with 3.4 OE or w/e they have boycotted sony's new upgrades, boycotted their new games, and mass emailed saying 'WTF!? I CANT USE HOMEBREW AND PLAY UR NEW GAMES AT THE SAME TIME, OH WELL I GUESS ILL STICK WITH HOMEBREW', then maybe sony would give up, thats the only thing we can do.........

plus, if they cared that much about a few of the psp population using homebrew, wouldn't they care just as much or even more about that population thats not buying games anymore?

brainpan
July 3rd, 2007, 00:59
I wonder if Sony offered him a job? Anyway thanks for helping make the PSP useful D_A. Good luck in your future endeavors.

murgero1
July 3rd, 2007, 01:01
Dark_ALex,
because of you i have 3.40 oe-a, now i know that when i lied it hurt you but now i know that was wrong. My PSP is better than ever!:D But could you at least keep your site up so people can reffer to you oe's and se's,

thanks!!!!

shedeus
July 3rd, 2007, 01:08
3.40oe should be good for now. whats the highes FW required for games nowadays?

JKKDARK
July 3rd, 2007, 01:11
I think it is 3.50

mcdougall57
July 3rd, 2007, 01:19
i was actually kind of looking forward to 100% no-umd compatability aswell although it was not dark alex that brought up a hype about it, people within the forum made a good job of that

yoshinatsu
July 3rd, 2007, 01:21
I REALLY wish this is a joke.
So our best DEV is leaving...?
Oh,well... Ummmm... How can I say this......

just SHIT...:(

buildit92
July 3rd, 2007, 01:23
well, this was going to happen one day. but now we need someone else to lead us.

pkmusicmaker
July 3rd, 2007, 01:28
This is the crappiest news I've heard in a long time.

toaks
July 3rd, 2007, 01:30
this is quite funny and all, i mean the posts here and not the story about DAX leaving..

You know, this is NOT SONY's dooing, this is the pirates dooing, everyday people download 1000's of games (if not more) on open sites , that doesnt hurt the console/market or even make publishers and developers thinking about it all?

Anyone remeber the DC ?

anyway why not do a locked OE without ISO support and such?, just make it run homebrew , hopefully dax would join sony and make them do such a tool.

I am game for the homebrew but the piracy and "killing" the format is not exactly a cool thing for such a fine console and by all means its NOT sony's fault, they may have tracked DAX down but he's been walking about in the hive for much longer than expected.

Anyway i respect everyone ones work on getting homebrew loaders and homebrew onto my fav. handheld , shame that they didnt focus more about homebrew.

Yes i know, DAX is not dooing it for piracy at all and he meant all well and i respect that fully.

PS: i am pretty sure sony set up a lawsuit or such against dax, he most likely has been tracked down and hell that would scare anyone wouldnt it?.

Buddy4point0
July 3rd, 2007, 01:37
no, i like iso's but not piracy.
my umd drive is broken but i still buy games and rip the umd with a friends psp so that i can play them

buildit92
July 3rd, 2007, 01:38
that is pretty understandable but he was the best at what he was doing, but with all the support and donations we gets. if he ever gets sued he will have homebrew users and hackers there to bail him out. and if ur not willing to help the one who got u where u r now with ur psp, something is messed up with u. i say that he should keep going but i understand y he quit it. i can only hope that someone will jump in his place.

On The Rise
July 3rd, 2007, 01:39
Thanks for everything. You made it possible for me to downgrade and enjoy my psp with homebrew to a whole level with the 2.6 downgrader. If it wasn't for the downgrader I think my psp would've been sold or would've been a big paper weight. It would have been sweet if you went out with a bang and gave us 3.51 oe anyways good luck.

P.S. **** You Sony
Hey, We still have devhook.

Buddy4point0
July 3rd, 2007, 01:39
that is pretty understandable but he was the best at what he was doing, but with all the support and donations we gets. if he ever gets sued he will have homebrew users and hackers there to bail him out. and if ur not willing to help the one who got u where u r now with ur psp, something is messed up with u. i say that he should keep going but i understand y he quit it. i can only hope that someone will jump in his place.
good point build, if he ever did get a fine or sued or anything, i as would tons of others donate alot to him

Basil Zero
July 3rd, 2007, 01:40
I'm truly sad at this current state, if it is true(and it is i believe), will be the end of me getting any more commercial games for my psp.

I wanted to play Crisis Core and Disgaea portable, but now that wont be possible...oh well....

Anyways, hope the best for D_A.

Buddy4point0
July 3rd, 2007, 01:42
I'm truly sad at this current state, if it is true(and it is i believe), will be the end of me getting any more commercial games for my psp.

I wanted to play Crisis Core and Disgaea portable, but now that wont be possible...oh well....

Anyways, hope the best for D_A.
hopefully people will start making umd loaders and such again

buildit92
July 3rd, 2007, 01:45
Well i am sad to but i hope that this wont stop us. I am trying to get in touch with Dark_Alex so that he might be able to teach me about make Custom Firmwares and find exploits. It may not be succesfull but hopefully it will be. I am also asking others to try into making the homebrew scene alot better for us. Dont be sad, get glad. get glad in hopes that one day someone will take his place. dont say, oh someone else will do it. Im calling opon you, as well as everyone else, to take the challange to lead us through this problem and set us up for the next generation of hackers.

starogre
July 3rd, 2007, 01:59
hopefully people will start making umd loaders and such again

ya, that should be possible without having to fully code new operating systems/firmwares.

i believe as long as C+D or Noobz cracks/exploits the new firmwares still, someone could code a, for example, Version 3.6 UMD Loader, of some sort, that just uses the exploit to their advantage to run umd's or backed up umd's

i guess the idea is already out there, but i'm just bored and ranting :P

pibs
July 3rd, 2007, 02:02
in a way its kinda good, people will start actually buying games and more developers will come to the psp since their games are not being pirated.just get an extra psp, 1 for HB and one for sony's FW. for the people who complain about isos saving you battery life...... just buy the bigger battery they're cheap. don't get me wrong i love fw OE but i don't wana see psp turn into the next Cast away just yet.

I blame BBC for putting dark_alex on the spot with their dumb interview.

Buddy4point0
July 3rd, 2007, 02:15
i hope sony realizes this will drop psp sales like 20,000x
because just the new downgrader increased sales 14,000x
yea so sony too bad you still lose

brasssmunky
July 3rd, 2007, 02:23
this is a disaster.
Dark_Alex is a god among men
i respect his decision to leave.
but i personally think it would be nice if he assisted someone else on releasing 3.51 OE first.
but if he doesnt want to do this, he doesnt have to. im just happy nobody on here is flaming him for leaving.

irishwhip
July 3rd, 2007, 02:25
At a time when i considered selling my psp, 3.02oe was released and reignited my interest in it.

Dark_AleX turned a mediocre console into something worth owning. no second rate psp game
or gimmicky ps3 connectivity is going to convince me to go with official firmware.
sony will lose a few £££ through loss of umd sales to people like us, but there
are not enough of us to really make an impact.

LikSang
Dark_AleX

brunobelo
July 3rd, 2007, 02:27
Well, I'm a big DA fan but I understand his reasons... And I hope sony burns. AND get swallowed by Nintendo.

Jonesyxxiv
July 3rd, 2007, 02:28
This almost reminds me of when PSmonkey laft the scene. Man this is huge. We will all miss you Dark Alex. Im kind of considering on giving up on the PSP homebrew scene. I used to use my PSP for music and internet, and now that I bought the iPhone I almost never use my PSP anymore. Now this juts makes me want to give up on PSP all together.

Atleast there will still be other custom firmwares, and people could always go back to using Devhook, but this is still very sad and we will miss you.

`The0n3
July 3rd, 2007, 02:40
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOO......well he has been far beyond a blessing for unlocking peoples psps to their full potential the scene wont be the same without him. :\ Considering all he has done this has been bound to happen some time da you are genius enjoy your time off thank you for everything my psp would be a dustcollector and my friends wouldnt be a brick collecting dust but a regular psp collecting dust without you. From 2.71se to 3.40 oe you have done wonders, sony will undoubtly lose a big chunk of their community if they keep updating their games to where you need the latest firmware now. When sony discontinues their psp's because no one else has been as much of a genius as you, you will be remembered as the person who stuck it to the man and made their systems sell. You were never a threat to sony but yet a godsend you will be missed and eventually sony will miss you to. Good luck in the future and keep on keeping on.

YOU MAKE THE PSP THE PSP THANK YOU FOR EVERYTHING DA YOU WILL BE MISSED!

kiariki
July 3rd, 2007, 02:55
I wasn't originally going to post, since I'm afraid of Sony attacking USERS but... D_A was really important. He allowed people to play newer PSP games without having to give up homebrew.

I wonder why he never released OE WITHOUT the no-umd... I bet that wouldn't have made Sony so angry at him...

gymnotropic
July 3rd, 2007, 02:55
That's a shame. I hope he leaves someone to take over his work.

holla2k
July 3rd, 2007, 03:04
This really sucks. Dark alex was a god in the psp scene. But i understand why he left. Sony sent him death threats. I would be scared too.

However this is not the end of the world. We still have devhook.Plus firmwares will still be decrypted. As long as that happens people can start making iso loaders or whatever again. Give it time people. The psp scene is not dead. Someone will take over.

Dark alex you will be missed!

LilSwish722
July 3rd, 2007, 03:08
NOOOO!!! I don't wanna be stuck at 3.40OE-A. But this is terrible man. I'm pretty sure that if Sony is risking your secruity, it's probably illegal.

starogre
July 3rd, 2007, 03:14
my guess is that sony saw DA's no umd update in news posts on homebrew forums or something (like these) and begged him not to release it for piracy reasons...

masamune
July 3rd, 2007, 03:17
ah poop...

well, I'm glad to have my current custom fw...

Thanks Dax, best of luck!!!

AvengedSevenfold Fan
July 3rd, 2007, 03:19
I think that he was a great contributer to the psp scene, and that he will be missed very much so, though a small idea lies in the back of my head that he was paid off by sony. well, either way, he did it all, and he is loved.

camcorderdoctor
July 3rd, 2007, 03:23
This is a tragedy - the psp scene is going to miss his work - me especially :( - but there may be a glimmer of hope if DAX will let someone take over his work - wasn't there just talk of a 3.51OE from Mathieulh - he has been helping DAX code these firmwares some (I think) - . Well - GOOD LUCK to you DAX and have a happy life you still are a god to everyone! Please pass along your works to a compitant individual, don't let it just die.

jinqui242
July 3rd, 2007, 04:02
Surely someone else can pick up and do similar work even without the source code. He's not the only smart coder out there...

ish420ism
July 3rd, 2007, 04:06
Dark_Alex won't get any of these comments.

Anyway, it's too bad for the community that the whole CFW OE dev team will have no part in picking up the project.

If I was DAX, I would have asked for a job at sony, before it all got out of hand.

P.S. And all the idiots who turned this into a war...WHO'S WINNING NOW?? NOT ME. THANKS GUYS

psp411
July 3rd, 2007, 04:11
daaammmm.. the homebrew scene has lost one of the MOST VALUABLE people in it. this just sux sh*t.. neways, hankyou dark Alex for everything youve done or the scene( and personally, making the oe fw and the 2./2.6 downgrader... ill neva forget that...) good luck on your life and best wishes yo :D :cool:

Solidsnake3000
July 3rd, 2007, 04:20
yo it would be such a fu**ed up move for sony to right now release every game and requires 3.51 to play it

ish420ism
July 3rd, 2007, 04:26
This tugs at the heart.
Just like when mame.dk closed down it's site.

Very, Very sad day for the psp community.

xg917
July 3rd, 2007, 04:44
CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT SONY CAN REALLY DO TO HIM.. AND Y R THEY STARTING TO TAKE ACTION NOW AFTER ALL THAT HAS HAPPENED!!!!

I BELIEVE THAT HE LEFT BECAUSE HE IS SCARED OF SONY.. thats a bad thing to say tho.. so sorry..

AvengedSevenfold Fan
July 3rd, 2007, 04:44
This and the Lik-Sang thing go almost hand in hand.

mike_jmg
July 3rd, 2007, 04:45
Wtf!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nooooooooooooo!!!
Why????????????

mike_jmg
July 3rd, 2007, 04:48
we'll try to survive without you, but I'm not sure we can
bye DAX I'm missing you already ;_;

opiate81
July 3rd, 2007, 04:49
Lame!!!
not Dark AleX leaving.. good on him I say.. all the retards that think the PSP is dead now.
Get a life seriously! all OE really does apart from PS1 (which you wont lose if you dont upgrade) is make Devhook obsolete (for UMD/ISO loading anyway)
You can still play homebrew games, apps, emulators and even near perfect PS1 emulation and you always will as long as you dont upgrade to an official FW.
Not forgetting Becus and his work with IE I`d imagine that by the time a game comes out that need 3.51 Becus or someone else will have either created a new custom fw or maybe just a hybrid fw like what was released just before the OE series.
ALSO you could either buy a new PSP or one of the modchips and have 3.40 OE and an official FW on the same PSP

Much respect to Dark AleX and what he has done but he was not the first, is not the only and definitely wont be the last or greatest to code for the PSP

jefdizon
July 3rd, 2007, 04:56
Just a thought, but if you're worried about being stuck on 3.40OE, then the next logical step (albeit illegal and would be considered piracy) would be to modify future game releases to make them compatible with 3.40OE.

I'm sure some of you pros can do it. :rolleyes: I've already seen games with custom soundtracks, so the rest is up to you guys to figure out. ;)

Gene
July 3rd, 2007, 04:59
I must say that this is very uncalled for. However, my regards to you, Dark_AleX. As a sign of respect to you. I promise never to upgrade my psp.

starogre
July 3rd, 2007, 05:02
Just a thought, but if you're worried about being stuck on 3.40OE, then the next logical step (albeit illegal and would be considered piracy) would be to modify future game releases to make them compatible with 3.40OE.

I'm sure some of you pros can do it. :rolleyes: I've already seen games with custom soundtracks, so the rest is up to you guys to figure out. ;)

the only way to get the games is to download them which, of course, IS piracy

the next logical step is either devhook or an isoloader/umdloader that takes advantage of any exploits found in the next fw by noobz or c+d, which then allows playability of new games without having to upgrade to the next firmware

porchemasi
July 3rd, 2007, 05:06
The only reason for this is because Sony must have sent him a notice to stop what he was doing. No one has a mood swing that makes u on the path from making the newest OE from 3.50 to 3.51 in a flash then the next day quit...

Likely hood is he got a order from Sony to stop b4 legal consequences are taken... only logical reason ... EVEN if it does take up most of your time it oculd be a hobby to work on coding solely on spare time no reason to quit all togehter

psp411
July 3rd, 2007, 05:07
F**k U Sony!!!! I Hope U GO Bankrupt U F***kin Fools... If It Werent For Tha Devs Then Sales Of Your System Wouldnt Be This High!!!! U Fools Are Literally Gonna Lose The $ You So Desperately Want!!!! My Psp Is The Only Thing You'll Ever See Me Buyin From Yall Mothaf**kin Goofs!!!

xg917
July 3rd, 2007, 05:23
The only reason for this is because Sony must have sent him a notice to stop what he was doing. No one has a mood swing that makes u on the path from making the newest OE from 3.50 to 3.51 in a flash then the next day quit...

Likely hood is he got a order from Sony to stop b4 legal consequences are taken... only logical reason ... EVEN if it does take up most of your time it oculd be a hobby to work on coding solely on spare time no reason to quit all togehter

he can come back as anonymous or just with a different identity..

robotdevil
July 3rd, 2007, 05:33
Well, I'm a big DA fan but I understand his reasons... And I hope sony burns. AND get swallowed by Nintendo.

Why? Because the DS has such great homebrew potential? Or because Nintendo is great at getting people to buy a rebranded console? Or because they charge $10 for a 20-year-old game?

F**k U Sony!!!! I Hope U GO Bankrupt U F***kin Fools... If It Werent For Tha Devs Then Sales Of Your System Wouldnt Be This High!!!! U Fools Are Literally Gonna Lose The $ You So Desperately Want!!!! My Psp Is The Only Thing You'll Ever See Me Buyin From Yall Mothaf**kin Goofs!!!

First off, even if everyone on the planet stoped buying PSP's and PS3's it wouldn't bankrupt Sony. It's actually a pretty small part of their business. Secondly, Sony made THE BEST handheld ever. Period. What Dark_Alex was doing WAS illegal by the fact that he was breaking their encryption code and stealing their Intellectual Property. What could Sony have done to him? Well, since he didn't sell it for profit, and actually drove sales of the PSP up they can't hit him for loss of business damages, but they could get him on punitive damages. Somehow I think DAX knew this and accepted it. Don't get me wrong, I'm sad to see DAX go and I wish Sony would lighten up, but search my previous post in this thread for an explanation on why they can't. Besides, with the head of the PlayStation development team stepping down to pursue other interests this may be the last great portable ever. Kinda sucks, losing Kutaragi and Dark_Alex within one month. They both will be greatly missed.

Wally
July 3rd, 2007, 05:42
Dark_Alex,

Its great you have contributed to the scene,

We will all miss you dearly for all the work you have done for us.

Good luck for the future :)

yoshinatsu
July 3rd, 2007, 05:44
Oh well... After reading 18 pages of posts...
I realize what Dark_Alex meant to EVERY PSP user:( :( :(
Thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for your contribution to the PSP Scene. You will always be the heart and soul of EVERYONE's PSP...
You'll return... Won't you?:o
Don't leave us alone:(

psp411
July 3rd, 2007, 06:16
First off, even if everyone on the planet stoped buying PSP's and PS3's it wouldn't bankrupt Sony. It's actually a pretty small part of their business. Secondly, Sony made THE BEST handheld ever.

I kno that they will stil make $ from theyre other product but i can hope:p
Also, i have to agree that this is the best handheld console right now. The reason y it is the best is because of the homebrew that can be ran on it( i remember when i bought my 1st psp and i litterally stopped using it after a month because i was bored of mc3:dub edition). By the contributions of dark_alex and others, we can enjoy homebrew capabilities with the good, useful functions of the sony official firmware. this is why i love oe. Since D_A is leaving the scene for "reasons" (sony.. *cough* cough*) we wont be able to have this unity between sony and the homebrew community. I can see why they want to eliminate oe... to stop piracy but if you really consider the following... only %10 of psp owners even know about and use homebrew and a smaller fraction of that pirate games. I learned about homebrew for consoles when i leared about homebrew for psp(14 yrs old... now im 16).since nobody arond me knew about it(friends, aquintances etc.)i didnt even know that theyre were ways to play games without the offical game.i learned all these things when i learned about the psp community . as average as i am, does sony hoestly think average eople will get up one day and be like" im going to download a game and play it on my current console." this thought wont even occur unless you are hinted about homebrewand the capability of doing so(and no1 can lie about that.) honestly, sony will lose $ by these pirates but to fully lock out homebrew(which makes psp more interesting... well to me:D ) juss to gain more $... bad move. sony cares more about their $ figure than theyre own customers... the ones who put the $ in their pockets. this is what led my rant.:)

(do i pirate? no because i own all the game that i have an iso of. my isos are what i rely on b/c my umd cases are broken and i cant use the disc anymore-.-... pirates are untruthful people who should recognize the damage they cause)

once again, i want to thank D_A for all he has done for the scene and i wish him good luck on his future:D

Mark30001
July 3rd, 2007, 06:30
Hopefully someone else would pickup from where things were left.

BrooksyX
July 3rd, 2007, 06:43
Thanks for all your work Dark_Alex, the psp scene would not be even close to where it now is without you. This is a very sad day for the psp scene.

Hopefully someone will be able to pickup 3.51 OE and give us 100% NO UMD compatability. Especially since my UMD drive is broken.

Aryn
July 3rd, 2007, 06:44
Dark Alex, after what you have done for the PSP homebrew scene I suppose you deserve to move on to better things. Good luck in your future endeavors.

Oh, and to those who are all doom and gloom over this, there are others who will likely keep the scene going. Even if there are no new firmware versions I doubt that people who are enthusiasts over this will allow SONY to put a leash on them (for lack of a better metaphor) as they intended. :p

Lumir
July 3rd, 2007, 06:53
Some simple input.

Looks like the big company sony got to him. Of course anyone of normal standards would be scared, but its still quite sad to see such talent ending with a "scare tactic" from some company.

Yet there is still hope. If sony has not located/found out/or ect who Dark really is then it would be quite easy for him to conintue his much appreciated work through the various ways to keep himself hidden... That is if he really isnt beaten by sony.

Maby he's just tired... maby he's scared... or maby he cant hack the new firmwares... regardless there is always a way to overcome such an adversary such as sony...

Simply put no one anywere can control the internet. Not the president, not an organization, and certinly not Sony.

Heh if you think about it, what if the internet peeps worked togather to distribute Dark's work. Heh it would be an unstoppable force if people used the right tools and methods of distribution.

But internet peeps working togather for this dosent seem like a reality. And Dark seems quite tired and not willing to take the risk.

Anyways great work Dark, you and your work will be missed. Im sure someone else will carry on the torch, using some other exploit/method. Regardless thank you.

gunntims0103
July 3rd, 2007, 06:59
I'm speechless

LilSwish722
July 3rd, 2007, 07:06
I think he got paid off.

jedikevin20
July 3rd, 2007, 07:09
The legend is leaving. A really bad day for the psp community. He'll be greatly missed. We will all suffer for a bit but we will get threw this. Hopefully alex will still help the new makers in he firmware community.

urherenow
July 3rd, 2007, 07:13
Wow, this thread is so long I already forgot half the stupid stuff here I wanted to comment on. First off... Hats off to dax. I don't blame him one bit and I truly thank him for his work. Still I wish the source would magically appear on irc or sth and make it's way to the public.

Next... NO downloading ISOs is NOT the only way to get them (not everybody is a damn pirate). How do you think they are made available for download in the first place, stupid? There are several homebrew programs that allow for copying a UMD to your memory stick.

Now... I don't think we have to sweat new UMDs quite yet. The last several firmware revisions iirc have been decrypted/unpacked with the same code so I don't think they have changed much. With that in mind, New games that require 3.50+ could easily still work if you simply use the SXT version changer (iirc the last version that I have lets you make the PSP think it is fw 7.0 or sth)

and/or we will be FORCED to go the ISO route again and swap out .sfos and .prxs just like we did in the beginning (around 2.0 or 2.5)

I think we will still be ok at least until fw 4.0 when they will more than likely update all the encryption and such.

AND... saw news on attack of the show today about a revamped PSP coming out anyway. PSP Slim I think is the name and it will have an 8GB internal flash!

YourStillWithMe
July 3rd, 2007, 07:19
My friend just left for the Navy this morning . . .so this doesnt even phaze me. However, thanks a lot for everything Dark Alex, You're a good man. Dont worry about 3.51OE. . .You've done so much already dude. Thanks for everything!

acid23
July 3rd, 2007, 07:58
it's really sad/bad news... thnx D_A for your hard work...

[Roger]
July 3rd, 2007, 08:23
if only i now what method he uses i will continue the research to the greater FW OE

Tophe
July 3rd, 2007, 08:32
Thank you Dark Alex, for everything. If you ask me $ony should pay you for doing this work. You are the reason me and several of my friends bought a PSP.

Whithout homebrew and emu's there's just no point in owning a PSP.

So.. thank you Alex. I hope someone will step up and continue your work. You're a legend.

jeegee
July 3rd, 2007, 08:37
So it is true,,,, Aw,, Many thanks to Dark aleX for all his input into the homebrew scene. The king is dead.....

bish
July 3rd, 2007, 09:08
Thank you, for all your work and effort-you released the full potential of the psp rather than stifle it like sony did(regularly!) good luck in any future projects, if they are executed half as well as your oe line you will be onto a winner

skulkk
July 3rd, 2007, 09:10
Dark Alex - you will be missed, you took a psp and made it into a portable multiplatform gaming system. I thank you for all of your work. I understand the reasons for your leaving, and i hope that Bony backs off it's legal dogs to allow you to return in the future. Without you i would not have bought a psp in the first place. - Ta

To all you out there who are slagging Dark Alex or anyone who does work on a custom firmware - DON'T. - You have a choice to use or not use custom firmware, everyone knows the risks. I presume most of the people out there who are slagging these heroes of our platform off have not made custom firmware of their own, so don't critisize until you can do better yourselves - nuff said.

I wish Dark Alex a happy life and again wish to thank him for converting my psp into the powerful system it is today.

kjetil1991
July 3rd, 2007, 09:22
thanks for the Oe version Dark_AleX im sure you will be back after some time... but for now its just sad =(

-Xandu-
July 3rd, 2007, 09:45
He's done great things to the PSP community, he will surely be missed!

And no, I'm not giving out his e-mail address so stop PMing me about it!

Milleniumas
July 3rd, 2007, 09:58
We should continue the scene whithout him. We need some papers from the DA about the PSP firmware or start to diassemble the firmware ourselves. Never done programming on a psp just the last two years on Windows, but maybe need to change?

h4s30
July 3rd, 2007, 10:24
certainly a bummer he left

a lil disappointed that we may not see 3.51 OE

of course I do appreciate what he's done *he'd done a great deal if anyone doesn't know*

also this is a great oppurtunity for other people to rise up in the scene

Vangar
July 3rd, 2007, 10:49
Well this could end the time of new psp firmware hacks on new firmwares. It could end with more devhook style firmware emulators once again.

froggie22
July 3rd, 2007, 10:54
great work DA you were the one that made me want to keep my psp and the only reason i use it because of the stuff i can use it for because of your great fw hope your will consider coming back to the sceen one day. goodluck with all ur uni stuff

razorak
July 3rd, 2007, 11:36
Sad to see him leave the scene but i'm greatly thankful for what he has done (downgraders, custom firmware, etc). Particularly since my psp was a 2.6 ta-082 to begin with...lol (the more important thing would be that he had the great practice of giving, i dun remember any1 having to pay for the stuff that any1 coded...lol. That's the most heart-warming thing about it, that such kind people do exist)

Cheers and all the best!

Draak332
July 3rd, 2007, 12:17
its very sad to see you leave
@vangar
i think dax has spoiled the whole scene, he has just made homebrew too easy(dont get me wrong, spoiled in a good way)
and dont forget Becus25, he still makes custom firmwares
ones again, a big NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

shrimpidy
July 3rd, 2007, 12:42
This may sound a little extreme but does anyone think there's the possibility that he got paid off by Sony? If this topic has been brought up earlier, then 'm sorry. I just didn't want to read through 200 messages. Thank you Dark Alex for all that you have done.

PSPegasus
July 3rd, 2007, 13:07
Looks like Devhook's going to make a return. No more custom firmwares means no support for later games. Huzzah we've got nothing to look forward to!

-Xandu-
July 3rd, 2007, 13:12
I think Sony will stop making firmwares now since no one is going to crack them.

Gabba Gandalf
July 3rd, 2007, 13:13
why Dark Alex :(
but anyway thanks for all custom firmwares
you are a God for all PSP owners

HumanIce
July 3rd, 2007, 13:24
nooooo!!11
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t155/HumanIce64/dark_alex.jpg

kharaboudjan
July 3rd, 2007, 13:40
well. the scene will live on.. its no big deal i guess.

thanx for the Custom OE firmwars though :D

XioN980
July 3rd, 2007, 13:59
ummm DAX wasn't the only hacker out there, but probably best though, remember he did have some help with OE firmwares, if they all quit THEN panic

starogre
July 3rd, 2007, 14:00
I think Sony will stop making firmwares now since no one is going to crack them.

noobz (fanjita) and team c+d are still cracking them

as long as they are exploited i'm sure someone can use it to their advantage to make a umd loader for the newest games without having to update to the next fw

besides, sony will always update, just not silly little security patches like 3.51, etc...it will be extraneous features no one wants, but, updating in the first place is now a challenge just to play the new games anyways...

hetster
July 3rd, 2007, 14:18
well i dont know about everyone else but this isnt as big a deal for me as everyone else.
i think D_A deserves a lot of credit for what he's done so far with unlocking the fimrware but he also deserves a life. for whatever reason he has decided to leave the scene wether it be coz its time consuming oir sony offered him a job or he's been threatened with legal action. i fully understand why he would leave. i mean why would someone put themselves in a possible legal fight so that other people can carry on playing illegal copies of games
the only reason for regular updates is for iso loading, i mean i hear a lot saying dont leave do a 3.51 oe before you leave. the only thing 3.51 has extra is the security patch for lumines and games that will require 3.51. so why hold on for a patch that plugs an exploit?.

i still use 3.10-oe as i dont play ANY psp games on my psp. i use my psp purely for emulation of megadrive, nes, n64, psx (which is why i love D_A). i laso watch live tv on it etc.virtualy everything but iso loading.if it wasnt for psx games and the internet broswer i'd actualy still be on 1.5 lol. this is why D_A leaving the scene hasnt had the same imapct with me as everyone else.

i peronaly think it will be good for the scene. this will inspire lots of other coders to take the position of #1 psp hacker/coder.
and if sony took the time out to look into the homebrew community and find a way of 100% homebrew with 0% chance of an iso loader i seriously think homebrew would become officialy supported by sony..

either way Thanks to Dark Alex. enjoy your retirement from the scene and good luck in all your future endevours.

gladiator5
July 3rd, 2007, 14:35
nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnoooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooo.

you must dont stop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
why,why,why.
now i can push my psp in the garbage can.
no newer custom firmwares, is no newer games on the psp.

dont stop plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

and if you stop(dont hope so).
would you ever make a new custom firmware, so that we allllll, can play the newest games???

`The0n3
July 3rd, 2007, 14:38
Becuz25 is the future of custom firmwares now. Lets just hope he stops living in the past on firmware and starts cracking the new firmwares.

AlexRoxUrSox
July 3rd, 2007, 14:47
OE Development went against sonys likes. They were angry that people were menacing with their machines. Even though the software development was under the GDML Free software license, Sony fought back with their secret armys of anti OE/hombrewers. Sounds stupid?
Believe it.

AlexRoxUrSox
July 3rd, 2007, 14:49
umm.... he hasnt done anything illegal.. has he?

OE Development went against sonys likes. They were angry that people were menacing with their machines. Even though the software development was under the GDML Free software license, Sony fought back with their secret armys of anti OE/hombrewers. Sounds stupid?
Believe it.

Cloudhunter
July 3rd, 2007, 15:15
Becuz25 is the future of custom firmwares now. Lets just hope he stops living in the past on firmware and starts cracking the new firmwares.

Yeah, he's the future aright... The future of bricks.

He doesn't have the knowledge necessary in order to move on to later firmwares.

Cloudy

DarthPaul
July 3rd, 2007, 15:33
Yeah, he's the future aright... The future of bricks.

He doesn't have the knowledge necessary in order to move on to later firmwares.

Cloudy

Lol "The future of bricks." funny :rofl:

Anyways...Bye DAX,I'll love you no matter where you are.

pt9087
July 3rd, 2007, 15:41
Hmm its a Dark Dark day!

F9zDark
July 3rd, 2007, 16:33
Wow this really sucks ass. But there is a clear difference between DA and the PS3 hackers:

-PS3 hackers set out to make an ISO loader from the GET GO. Their intention was solely pirating.

-DA made custom firmwares, that while they came with an ISO loader for both UMD and converted PSX games, his main priority was keeping homebrew alive on higher firmwares so PSP owners could play homebrew AND new games without having to make a sacrifice.

The fact that Sony has let DA do this unimpeded for so long as it is, is a testament to the fact that they either:

-Don't care as much about the PSP as they do the PS3
-Or had respect for the fact that DA made firmwares that allowed us the best of both worlds. Thanks to DA I was able to buy both MGS:PO and Killzone Liberation.

Well thanks for all your work DA, you will be missed.

Solidus Snake
July 3rd, 2007, 16:35
Thank you very much, Dark_Alex, for your work, also continued after hard times in your life.

May Fortune be with you ;-)

DarthPaul
July 3rd, 2007, 16:40
I was reading posts from MaxConsole,and look what I found....

" Mathieulh

I confirm, this is true, Alex is leaving the scene and stopping any further OE developments."

"Alek

I'm MrTuto_Alek, webmaster of the page, and it has NOT being hacked, it's an official announcement.

Take care, alex."

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i49/lord-daniablo/mathIRC.png

Sadness. :'(

the_eternal_dark
July 3rd, 2007, 16:44
So dax is quitting? I was wondering how long it would take for Sony to go after him. This totally blows. I hope all goes well for dax.

I wonder if Team C+D and Noobz can/will write custom firmwares later on? And why is everyone hating on Becuz25? At least, he has some skill/balls to tackle firmware modding as well, I believe his skills will improve at a much faster rate now. And what about HarleyG? Where has he been? And if I'm not mistaken, wasn't there another team a long while back who was supposed to be making a replacement firmware specifically for running homebrew?

Sonicboy 101
July 3rd, 2007, 16:45
No new OE? :(

kjetil1991
July 3rd, 2007, 16:47
we must keep the homebrew alive

jurkevicz
July 3rd, 2007, 16:53
Maybe Sony got a hold of DA before firmware 4.0 got released and he made an OE of it. This sucks really BAD, but I got a feeling this is just a break from everything. I'm almost sure that whenever a good firmware comes out, Dark Alex won't resist the cravings for making an OE of it. Also, thanks to DA I was able to BUY UMDs without upgrading my firmware. Now if there's a game that requires a higher firmware, I just won't buy it. F*CK SONY.

AvengedSevenfold Fan
July 3rd, 2007, 17:00
Sony did NOT win. We may have lost the leader on our side of the war, but we still have an entire army to fight with.

DarthPaul
July 3rd, 2007, 17:05
Sony did NOT win. We may have lost the leader on our side of the war, but we still have an entire army to fight with.

That's the spirit!

Squidman
July 3rd, 2007, 17:24
and now we have HarleyG [sp?] and Becus25, i wonder what will become of 3.50/1.....

Skai725
July 3rd, 2007, 17:31
I feel for Dark_Alex, I respect that he had the guts to go this long, and I also I agree he deserves a life like the rest of us who use his work FREELY I might add. I might have just started being in the homebrew scene but even if you have been here from the beginning doesn't give you the right to flame on him, unless you can do better and make a Custom Firmware then you have no right to insult him. Because I've tried coding... and its incredibly Frustrating if you don't like it. Thanks Dark_Alex like many have said you have made my PSP the best system I've ever owned PERIOD.

murgero1
July 3rd, 2007, 17:33
Lets hope DAX can come back as another user, but sony... if they did this then i will not buy their stuff any more, i won't even upgrade! i hope sony has bad sales the next few months!!!!!!!!!

Skai725
July 3rd, 2007, 17:39
Also if Crisis Core requires a higher firmware than 3.4 i'll be one sad PSP owner....

mat_dizzy
July 3rd, 2007, 18:36
OH SH*T!!!

I now refuse to buy sony products :S DARK ALEX!! Your the reason my psp hasnt died from dust, you rock, and hopefully you will return one day!

Hyper-Beaner
July 3rd, 2007, 19:02
You rule Dark Alex!!!

hydrogenoptic
July 3rd, 2007, 19:06
Oh man why! i guess theres a time and place for everything huh.
thanks for all the hard work in the psp scene.
You will be definitley missed by all psp enthusiasts thanks again for the great work and help you've given to all psp users.

One of the thousands of fans,Hydrogenoptic.

Kimi_no_Zack
July 3rd, 2007, 19:11
:eek: :confused: :( :) :D
I think many people would agree that the scene would not be nearly what it was, had you not been here. and from this point forward, the rest of us will have to learn to do more, rather than just waiting for the next DAX release.
Good Call. all in all, I'm positive it's a good call to leave before the hand looming over decides to come down.

lastly, SONY will never recieve close to the respect that I have for you.

have a great life, DAX :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

neverSurrender
July 3rd, 2007, 19:13
Incredibly disappointing.

I bought a psp specifically because I heard about it's ability to run emulators and custom firmware on it. A lot easier than lugging 10 game systems around from deployment to deployment.

It's been great up to this point, because the actual psp games have been sort've...well...awful. While there are a few gems, I'd much rather spend my time playing Secret of Mana or Contra than most of the newer titles. However, with the titles Square has lined up like CC, FFT, and Dissidia, I can't help but worry that I'll have to shell out another 150 bucks to have a psp specifically for running psp titles.

Thanks for all the work you've done, DAX. You've given many soldiers the ability to stay true to our gaming roots. Hopefully someone will pick up where you've left off somewhere down the road.

-Xandu-
July 3rd, 2007, 19:21
and now we have HarleyG [sp?] and Becus25, i wonder what will become of 3.50/1.....

harleyg left a long time ago when he quit working on 0x89, and he only did that cf patch anyway..

hydrogenoptic
July 3rd, 2007, 19:23
Skai is right DA does deserve a life like the rest of us man , its only right to let him be.
DA rules! (could have made done well in the sony industry haha)

murgero1
July 3rd, 2007, 19:31
he could have made a ton of money doing what he did, but choose to give it away for free! thnx dax.

molster
July 3rd, 2007, 20:04
Ok, I hope this hasnt been done yet, as of right now, all our thanks wont ever reach him, I have made a site where everyone can go post their thanks, once there has been a good deal of them, I will compile them all together to send. I am going to place this on many forums.

The fact is...Dark-alex is gone... its a very sad fact... but the least we can do is thank him for everything he has brought to us!

http://www.thank-dark-alex.co.nr

or (thanks to the other member who made this banner)
http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/4131/untitled9xe4.png (http://www.thank-dark-alex.co.nr)
now links to the site.

This site is NOT ment to bring him back, as everyone has said, hes NOT coming back, but this is a way to make sure he knows how much he has been loved and how we all wish him the best of luck.

pampam
July 3rd, 2007, 20:13
IMG]http://kiko5[/IMG]

pampam
July 3rd, 2007, 20:17
dude im supporting all of your work.....and you rock

pampam
July 3rd, 2007, 20:32
help shorty carnage can you give me a link to psp games plz....

pampam
July 3rd, 2007, 20:33
can you give me a link to psp games plz

sup3rman
July 3rd, 2007, 20:36
:eek: wow not something you see every day man da you did alot for everyone you turned my psp from worthless garbige to a system i use everyday man sony is a bunch of jerks becouse homebrew is what sels the psp ...and when you leave we are going to be back to the stone age with the psp as sony starts releasing new fw...:(

DarthPaul
July 3rd, 2007, 20:42
No WAY!!! No good bye!! Let's make a RIOT!!! Who's with me!? If you're with me copy my sig into yours and let's take our REVENGE!!!

Veskgar
July 3rd, 2007, 20:45
can you give me a link to psp games plz

Can somebody please ban this idiot?

Its that sort of behavior that gives SONY reason to try and put an end to great devs like Dark_AleX. Comments like that and acting on them is a negative influence on PSP homebrew.

To use this thread of all threads to triple post asking for PSP games is a big insult to Dark_AleX. You don't appreciate his work, you exploit his work.

Omega weapon
July 3rd, 2007, 20:57
:mad: yes i completly agree with the comment above , this tread is almost like a tribute to d.a. and his great work and you have the cheek to ask for a ****ing link for games you are pathetic