July 3rd, 2007, 06:31
EDIT -

No longer posting here.

Please refer to:

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=67765

For the latest and final version.

Hyrule_boy
July 3rd, 2007, 15:31
I have to remove the normal Quake files from my flashcart right? because now I placed your pak file and the text file at the right place, it just starts Quake not Rocket Arena.

x999x
July 3rd, 2007, 15:40
Do you have the full version of quake installed?

Sir_Voe
July 3rd, 2007, 16:40
I got it working. It's pretty cool, the bot is ruthless though. I was surprised to see the shotgun shells being ejected because I dont remember that in regular QuakeDS. I don't know if it's a remake of an old map, but a corridor or two would be nice to add a little tension.

Edit: Didn't realize I could just switch bots to change their skill level. Skimmed through the readme and missed that.

x999x
July 4th, 2007, 00:53
The maps are originals that I made with portable devices in mind. I do plan on incorporating more, I have about 4 additional maps I am testing that are also small in scale.

I'd really like to get something like Q3DM17 made, but without jump pads, it will have to make use of teleports, which nixes much of what makes that map so great imho. I guess time will tell once I get it hammered out.

x999x
July 4th, 2007, 01:28
I have to remove the normal Quake files from my flashcart right? because now I placed your pak file and the text file at the right place, it just starts Quake not Rocket Arena.

Once again, thanks to Simon I've finally figured out the command-lines with PocketQuake.

That said, I've changed the installer with a new package that will allow you to keep your single player missions, however it will still automatically start up in a game of rocket arena (that's intended and faster than waiting for the necropolis demo).

Check the new install files, and delete the old ones, you'll be happy you did ;)

x999x
July 4th, 2007, 02:27
I don't know if it's a remake of an old map, but a corridor or two would be nice to add a little tension.

I feel you, and thanks to you bringing this to my attention I have addressed this and found a purpose for deathmatch mode for this mod... TENSION

Deathmatch mode is now one map only, XPloadzone by Randal(blindtypist). This map is optimized for the DS, and features no health and no weapons. Random backpacks are picked up on spawn, and therefore it becomes a game of survivability and the fight for the best backpack (the one with the rockets). Did I mention there's corridors? Oh yeah!!!

I'm creating ANOTHER new install package which I will consider FINAL for now and make a new video showing the differences between the two mod modes, as it's much much clearer now that this new map has been added.

:thumbup:

Pilot_51
July 4th, 2007, 10:37
Nice, I'm checking it out.

It's probably not what you're aiming for, but if some Quake2 maps could be converted to QuakeDS that would be very cool. Those maps are nostalgic for me since Q2 was one of my early FPS addictions.

db77
July 4th, 2007, 15:25
Hello
outhere iam curious to try out your mod but rapidshare is vhore, its very difficult to download something from them..can yu pls. upload it anywhere else ? :) that would be great, thanks D.

Mr_Biggs
July 4th, 2007, 15:36
yeah, im having trouble getting this mod as well. rapidshare tells me my download session is invalid each time i try to get it. it looks damned cool, so i'd really like to have it ASAP. Thanks.

guttertalk
July 4th, 2007, 16:56
This has been fun replaying Quake on the DS. Great job on getting a mod to work. Seems like we need to have a QuakeDS and mods site. :)

It would help folks to see a) settings to adjust for mods on the DS and b) mapmaking recommendations for the DS.

BTW, I tried loading a map with the following but it would not work:

-game<newline>
+map kustok<newline>
<end of file>

Any suggestions for setting the map at startup or switching via console?

Thanks.

x999x
July 4th, 2007, 18:56
Simon has told me that maps not residing in a PAK file will load up with a checkerboard as it's textures. I'm pretty sure I didn't package Kustok in this, but I did repackage it with XPloadzone.

To get Kustok to load, you'll need to fist place it inside of a PAK/maps/ directory (use pakexplorer) inside your omicron folder.

To start the game on Kustok your qdsopts.txt should look like this:

-game
omicron
map
kustok
<------- Make sure to put a blank line here!!

That's it, no <new line> or <end of file> tags, Simon used those to help explain how to write the txt, but you DO need a blank line under the last statement, or else QDS will not read it.

To add Kustok to the map rotation, you must first decide which gametype you want the map to appear in. Let's say DM.

Find dmstart.cfg inside of the PAK0.PAK file found in the Omicron folder.

Find:

Samelevel "2" and change it to "3" to include the new kustok map, or leave it and remove my maps.

Find:

alias map1 "dbdm"
alias map2 "dbsg"

Add:

alias map3 "kustok"

----

You can change the order, or remove my maps entirely and just use Randalls (kustok/xploadzone).

If you don't mind waiting a few hours, I will have a new QDS.A to release, this one is "Final" and will evoke two modes of gameplay with only a couple button clicks, Rocket Arena and DM. RA is fast and furious, DM is an intense survival match on a big level with many rooms and corridors.

I got Rail Arena working this morning as well, it's very easy to install, but I'm waiting on hearing from SimonJHall if he has a way to evoke a differeing command line from QDS without have to unload mods each time you want to try a new one.

x999x
July 4th, 2007, 19:16
Nice, I'm checking it out.

It's probably not what you're aiming for, but if some Quake2 maps could be converted to QuakeDS that would be very cool. Those maps are nostalgic for me since Q2 was one of my early FPS addictions.

Hi Pilot, long time no see, hows Chuddy?

I've done a search for Q2 maps in Q1, and ironically that community seems more bent on getting Q1 maps inside of Q2! :(

This means I'll have to recreate the only Q2 map I like, The Edge... My Worldcraft trial expired, so I'm not sure when I can get to creating it without the wifey seeing yet-antoher-creditcard-bill.

My next map is actually going to be Q3DM17, The Longest Yard. I will use Teleports in place of the jump pads though sadly... Hmm, was there anything in Q1 that worked like a jump pad? I think I remember a huge fan on one level that would shoot you into the air when you jumped over it... Wishful thinking, or am I confusing things?

Sir_Voe
July 4th, 2007, 19:45
x999x-"I think I remember a huge fan on one level that would shoot you into the air when you jumped over it... Wishful thinking, or am I confusing things?"

That's an original Quake level called "Wind Tunnel" if I recall correctly. The effect is very similar to jump pads.

simonjhall
July 4th, 2007, 20:37
Just wanna add a tiny little thing here:

-game
omicron
map
kustok
<------- Make sure to put a blank line here!!This should be -map, not just map.

But still, good work on the mod. Please - can other people make mods? I spent a lot of time making the game compatible with mods!

x999x
July 4th, 2007, 21:29
x999x-"I think I remember a huge fan on one level that would shoot you into the air when you jumped over it... Wishful thinking, or am I confusing things?"

That's an original Quake level called "Wind Tunnel" if I recall correctly. The effect is very similar to jump pads.

Awesome, now I've gotta get my worldcraft registered to start building again :(

Mr_Biggs
July 5th, 2007, 00:10
psst... x999x... that download still aint workin for me... could you post the latest build in a attachment? (pretty please? i'd love to have a DM by myself.)

EDIT: went to my neighbor's house with a flash drive for the D/L :D nevermind. i'll give this a shot and a blast after i clean my kitchen.

x999x
July 5th, 2007, 02:16
psst... x999x... that download still aint workin for me... could you post the latest build in a attachment? (pretty please? i'd love to have a DM by myself.)

EDIT: went to my neighbor's house with a flash drive for the D/L :D nevermind. i'll give this a shot and a blast after i clean my kitchen.

About to serve it up in a new thread since this is the final version and under it's new name, QDS.Arena.

:thumbup:

Mr_Biggs
July 5th, 2007, 02:36
whaaa???? i just got the newer one to download, and then you trump that by putting up a new one? gaaahhhhh!!!! :D

Hyrule_boy
July 5th, 2007, 02:58
Do you have the full version of quake installed?
Nevermind my previous post I made a stupid mistake! xD

guttertalk
July 5th, 2007, 05:44
Thanks for the tips on the qdsopts.txt syntax. Unfortunately, I still couldn't start an alternate map: I tried using one in your pak, devise. Changing dmstart.cfg to alias map1 "devise" didn't change the starting map either.

Also, I noticed that any time a bot appears, my bindings are reset, even though I have defined "shoulder L" for attack. It works fine until that first bot appears.

I'd love to get into adapting/creating mods for this, but I don't know that I have the knowledge.

Nice work, though those bots did kick my butt . . . a stylus isn't the same as a mouse. :)

Pilot_51
July 5th, 2007, 08:25
Hi Pilot, long time no see, hows Chuddy?He's not nearly as active, he jumped into RL in a hurry once he revealed his little secret. Biggy pretty much took his place.

I've done a search for Q2 maps in Q1, and ironically that community seems more bent on getting Q1 maps inside of Q2! :(

This means I'll have to recreate the only Q2 map I like, The Edge... My Worldcraft trial expired, so I'm not sure when I can get to creating it without the wifey seeing yet-antoher-creditcard-bill.The Edge is good, it's my favorite and most nostalgic since the demo is what I played most. If someone could port the Q2 weapons too, that would be just about perfect to give QuakeDS the Quake2 feel, but that's probably not very easy and it would be better to wait for Quake2DS.
Is there still no free map editor? I find that rather unusual.

x999x
July 6th, 2007, 22:16
Please refer to this thread for the Final Build of this Modpak. It has a new map lineup and two distinct game modes:

Hyrule_boy
July 7th, 2007, 13:32
I did exactly what you said but I can't get it to work either...

x999x
July 7th, 2007, 20:06
thread closed.

Please visit:

For the latest, and final build of this modpak.

I will address all questions there forthwith!