PDA

View Full Version : Confirmed: PS3 fully backwards compatible

wraggster
June 14th, 2005, 19:52
Sony has put to rest any fears surrounding PlayStation 3 backwards compatibility by confirming that the next-gen console will play both PS2 and PSone games, via a combination of hardware and software emulation.

"Developers sometimes do things that are unexpected," explained Sony Computer Entertainment boss Ken Kutaragi. "Their games run but are written in ways that make us say, 'What is this code?'

"We need to support backwards compatibility for these games too, so using software alone for compatibility is difficult."

In contrast, Microsoft has cautiously stated that its next-gen machine will just be capable of playing 'top' titles for the original Xbox.

As Xbox 360 won't run Xbox games off embedded hardware, there is the risk that some games could catch out the emulator - and hence wouldn't work.

"The current Xbox will become antiquated once Xbox 360 launches in November," reckons Kutaragi. "When that happens, the original Xbox will be killing itself.

"The only way to avoid that is to allow 100% compatibility from launch but Microsoft won't be able to guarantee that. It's technically very difficult."

Christuserloeser
June 14th, 2005, 21:18
PS1 and PS2 - very nice. Once I get my hands on a used PS3 (let's say during the next ten years) I could play my old PS1 games - hopefully in high resolution like with Bleem!cast.

WSOUNitePirate895
June 19th, 2005, 14:12
Cant wait to be able to run emulators on this thing! with a HDD, and that power an a possible OS, Hopefuly we start seeing PC emulators to RUN on PS3. DOubt we can ever get a PS3 to run on PC but PC to PS3 (like the games) I would like to see that

Backwards Compatabily lol, My mother was always like " ALL THESE SYSTEMs you buy all theses games then comes a new system and the games turnout to be a waste of money, not buying you anymore of it" thank god for B.C. ppl with the same problem dont get yelled at :)

As for the graphics, not to imppresed, really would like to start seeing all that cool stuff we see in movies and anime, all those games that make you be in the actual game. It's the 21th century and were still playing with tv screens its sad. :(