PDA

View Full Version : Ridiculously Priced Retro Games...

ptr.exe
June 15th, 2005, 14:54
As i was looking around eBay, i started thinking about the price of some 'rare' games, and how strange it is that alot people wan't the game purely for collections and not to actually play.

There are games i really wan't to play but cant simply because i cant afford to spend £80 on eBay for a game thats 8 years old.

Games such as Panzer Dragoon Saga, Radiant Silvergun, Samba De Amigo, and to a lesser extent Rez, Paper Mario 64, Shenmue 2 and Super Mario RPG, i really wan't but refuse to pay so much for.

And people say that i shouldnt play illegal roms, with prices like that for retro games do i really have any other choice to play such great games?

Anyone have any thought's on the money that exchanges hands for these games?

Darksaviour69
June 15th, 2005, 15:17
Panzer Dragoon Saga: £150+
Radiant Silvergun: £150+

Samba De Amigo: i don't thing that the game is rare, its the original marcas are very rare (£100 +) but u can get cheap 3rd party ones

Rez: about £35 2 £50 (i got a promo one for £6 on eday)

Shenmue 2: about the same (i got it when it first came out)

Paper Mario 64,Super Mario RPG? revoluation?

FrierTuck
June 26th, 2005, 00:09
ptr.lynch has a point, when things cost 150 on ebay,the original company isnt getting any of that, they already got paid, and are done with it. I think roms for older systems, ones not supported buy the companies should be legal, even encouraged. I say that, because, it could make someone buy a sequal or remake for a newer system

Kaiser
June 26th, 2005, 01:04
Ya I had to get roms for all my genesis games recently. The battery packs are dead on most of them and I can't save anymore.

curt_grymala
June 26th, 2005, 03:50
You guys have a point, but you're not thinking it all the way through.

True, the companies don't get any of the money from sales on Ebay. However, they will get money if they choose to re-release the game.

For instance, Nintendo doesn't get any money for the sale of Metroid or Bomberman on Ebay. However, they get plenty of money (way too much, IMHO) for those exact same games in the Gameboy NES Retro series.

In addition, quite frankly, as long as the company holds the copyright, it will never be legal to make or have roms of those games.

Kaiser
June 26th, 2005, 07:26
One thing that helps this whole problem is companies releasing collections of all there old classics to the current platforms. For example Sega is soon to release a collection called Sonic Gems. The best part of this is it contains the original Sonic CD with its Japanese soundtrack (which can get really pricey on ebay for the Sega CD). This is great because thats the only game I've been missing in my sonic collection (discluding 3d ones 'cuz they all suck).

All though I've heard arguments that these packs can only emulate the original game and never capture the exact game in its originally released version.

FrierTuck
June 26th, 2005, 17:41
i have a copy of sonic cd for my pc and it only cost like 5 bucks, but i guess when you add in the japanese part it gets pricey

Kaiser
June 27th, 2005, 00:36
i have a copy of sonic cd for my pc and it only cost like 5 bucks, but i guess when you add in the japanese part it gets pricey

Ya up until that pak thats coming out thr pc version is all I can afford and its American version which has the crappy soundtrack.