PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew On The 1.50 Is Here

wraggster
June 15th, 2005, 15:24
The PSP DEV team from Spain have released the exploit that requires swapping memory sticks early and so now all 1.50 PSP owners can play emulators and Homebrew heres some instructions emailed to me a minute ago :

<BLOCKQUOTE>Here's a basic rundown on how to "convert" a normal homebrew program to run on a 1.5:

Take a program called the "MS Swap Tool"
Select the homebrew file you want to use on your 1.5 PSP
Select an Output Directory
Click on "Generate Files" and it will make 2 directories on your Harddrive.
Copy the stuff in MS1 into a directory like <MSDRIVE>\PSP\GAMES\TEST on your first Memory Stick
Copy the stuff in MS2 into a directory like <MSDRIVE>\PSP\GAMES\TEST on your second Memory Stick
Now, to actually launch the file:

Take out any UMD that may be in the PSP
Go to the Game > Memory Stick menu and highlight the Launcher Icon but don't press any buttons
As soon as you press the button to launch the homebrew app, you must quickly swap out your first memory stick with the second memory stick
WARNING: Removing the memory stick while the PSP is accessing it can damage the memory stick and possibly damage your PSP as well.
</BLOCKQUOTE>

Download the files needed here --> http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/files/swaploit_1.5_psp-dev.rar

Greensprout
June 15th, 2005, 15:30
Click on "Generate Files" and it will make 2 directories on your Harddrive.

It only makes one directory called 'output' inside there are the MS1/MS2 folders..

aseddon130
June 15th, 2005, 15:31
2 memory cards ... im screwed and im not happy :(

Greensprout
June 15th, 2005, 15:35
2 memory cards ... im screwed and im not happy :(

Just get a 32mb off ebay.. less than a tenner..

aseddon130
June 15th, 2005, 15:39
lend me £10 then XD

peanut
June 15th, 2005, 16:13
aseddon130.....do u have a memory card reader that will read ms duo???
coz if you think about it, why would you need 2 memory sticks if u have a reader for your pc....transfer the 1st file over, put it in psp, take it out, put it in ms duo reader, transfer the 2nd file, put card in ur psp...done!
ive not tried just using 1 card so im not 100% it would work

Amiga
June 15th, 2005, 16:19
Thank god i don't have a 1.5 lol :)

But more power to the guys who figured it out.
Now make it so you dont have to fart about :)

Greensprout
June 15th, 2005, 16:28
aseddon130.....do u have a memory card reader that will read ms duo???
coz if you think about it, why would you need 2 memory sticks if u have a reader for your pc....transfer the 1st file over, put it in psp, take it out, put it in ms duo reader, transfer the 2nd file, put card in ur psp...done!
ive not tried just using 1 card so im not 100% it would work

I agree this method would work BUT you only get about 5 seconds to swap the ms so you'd run out of time..

leggy
June 15th, 2005, 16:32
See, for all those that said it wouldn't happen - it has now

peanut
June 15th, 2005, 16:36
i still cant get this working. tried 4 different homebrew apps and none work. yes including the hello world! doing my head in

Greensprout
June 15th, 2005, 16:49
Try Chess / Arkanoid and Tetris they all work..

peanut
June 15th, 2005, 16:58
Aha! just worked out why i cant get it to work, didnt read the bit about pressing O then changing ms duo.
well ive just tried it with 'hello world' and it froze. my psp doesnt actually turn on anymore, im not joking! the battery was on 10% so it should have 25 mins left.
someone just tell me it's my battery. pleeeeeeaassee

peanut
June 15th, 2005, 17:01
just plugged charger in and it turned on ok, but it was still on 10%
so it wasnt my battery. everyone just be careful when switching your memory stick, might just be worth waiting for a better method

Greensprout
June 15th, 2005, 17:02
Charge it up and find out.. :p

ganon
June 15th, 2005, 17:04
looks risky if i had a second card i might of given it a shot

peanut
June 15th, 2005, 17:12
tis risky. i was bricking myself just then, more than i was just before my maths exam this mornin.
theres nothing really impressive about the exploit either, half the homebrew wont boot and theres nothing really technical about it, someone has just been messing around with their psp and memory card

Sir_Winston
June 15th, 2005, 18:24
tis risky. i was bricking myself just then, more than i was just before my maths exam this mornin.
theres nothing really impressive about the exploit either, half the homebrew wont boot and theres nothing really technical about it, someone has just been messing around with their psp and memory card

dont knock it just enjoy it

sageinwhite
June 15th, 2005, 19:29
hmmm I just get the error message "the game could not be started (80010002)"

Zeno
June 15th, 2005, 19:40
This rocks. My first try with the SNES emu worked. I'm now playing Earthbound at perfect speed /w sound. (I overclocked the PSP to 333Mhz)

Cross
June 15th, 2005, 20:24
God I forgot till like 3 minutes ago, came here and saw that it was real and fell off my chair I was so happy!!!

I was also happy I kept my original PSP 32MB Card, I will use it for my EMU's and keep the 512MB for my Videos and Music!!!

I LOVE THE MAKERS OF THIS THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!

Jeisu
June 15th, 2005, 20:52

I hate to say it, but the converter is almost "crap." I had to make my own eboots for it to work. It's not hard, but the program isn't that good, I think these guys were in a rush for the .exe program, as creating your own eboots works fine, while the converter doesn't always work. Try creating your own eboots, if not I'll make my own for each one and just release them all in a .rar'd file.

xfilez
June 15th, 2005, 21:03
This rocks. My first try with the SNES emu worked. I'm now playing Earthbound at perfect speed /w sound. (I overclocked the PSP to 333Mhz)

how did you overclock to 333? i got the swapexploit and the game starts but slow as a turtle.

thanks

Jeisu
June 15th, 2005, 21:16
Flick the analog pad to the left, it'll bring up the emulator menu. Check for clock speed option, press left and right on the Dpad to alter it.

Terial
June 15th, 2005, 22:42
does anyone know where I can download this as a .zip? <<

Lord_Rob
June 16th, 2005, 00:03
This is risky i need a few posts of people who it worked for so if it worked post it so i have proof. And will this work on 1.51?

xfilez
June 16th, 2005, 00:28
how did you overclock to 333? i got the swapexploit and the game starts but slow as a turtle.

thanks

found the the menu to change speed, just press left on the analog joystick, menu will show up.

this is sweet!

slayer2psp
June 16th, 2005, 01:13
i cant get any of the homebrew games or emu to work i get that cant load on all of them has any body got this thing to work i followed what it says but am having no luck at all :mad:

slayer2psp
June 16th, 2005, 01:35
how did you get it to work cant get anything to load up which snes emu are you using

Knightjoda
June 16th, 2005, 04:09
So far I've run Snes9x, Rin and NesterJ no problems at all. I can't seem the get the unofficial release of Snes9x to work, but thats not really suprising considering all the software thats out was written for the 1.0 and it seems only natural that there may be some incompatabilities with current homebrew code.

Nightsong
June 16th, 2005, 05:24
Running the translated FFIV right now.. setting to full speed and FrameSkip 3 is getting near full speed on SNES9X .03.

urherenow
June 16th, 2005, 18:18
Ok, here's the scoop. Tried it on a 1.50 PSP. Everything I tried worked. Even the unofficial snes9x. Super metroid won't work on the unofficial so the latest official one is the one I reccomend you try. As a side note, I actually booted up the unofficial one with the same eboot I made for the official one (with the mswap app). My guess is once you have the small 16.2kb eboot, it will work for loading ANY homebrew stuff just be sure whatever you want to run is in the same named directory as the small eboot file is in. (this is the 2 card method)

This does NOT work on a 1.51 PSP.

urherenow
June 16th, 2005, 18:21
umnn... to avoid confusion you need to run the homebrew in the mswap proggy anyway even if you do just keep using the same small eboot for everything

Jeisu
June 16th, 2005, 18:41
I think it's better to make your own Eboots. I love having a nice Zelda theme going with a description that it's the SNES emulator.

cglover
June 17th, 2005, 02:49
Try creating your own eboots, if not I'll make my own for each one and just release them all in a .rar'd file.

That would also be great for PSP owners who don't use Windows.

Jdemon
June 17th, 2005, 04:01
THIS ROCKS!!!!!

I tried the SNES emulator and it works great...I was a little afraid to overclock my PSP... but I did just to check it out.

BTW if you want to check out the SNES you don't need the converter, the converted files are available http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/
This sure isn't the perfect solution but it's one hell of a step closer :D
btw you can hold in the card (MS1) before you press the button...making the switch a little smoother to do.

Now I have to search through my old backup discs for Bahamet Lagoon :cool:

Jdemon
June 17th, 2005, 04:08
BTW many thanks for passing on the info Wraggster! Something tells me you may want to make this a "Sticky" at the top of the forum with a big flashing "READ ME FIRST BEFORE POSTING" tagged to it. :D

ArchAngel
June 17th, 2005, 18:25
For those who were complaining about this method not being the best, obviously you are not looking at the full view here. Now that someone has uncovered a loophole in the infamous 1.5, Shit will be falling from the skies. Personally I think that sony knows about these exploits and are leaving them as breadcrum trails for us to find. Try thinking of something unexpected they will do with the 1.51...

slayer2psp
June 18th, 2005, 09:31
it works real good i was just dumb i wasnt doing the folders right. the snes emu works pretty good a lot of games are full speed the nes emu also works real well the megadrive emu is ok just needs some work would also like to be able to play neogeo pocket but it just wont find the roms would also like to see doom working it starts to load then it stops. but im real happy great work to all the people that make these great emu and homebrew games you guys rule

Hulex
June 20th, 2005, 09:15
In case there's a little bit of confusion as to get the swap trick working worrectly...

I can't clarify any of this since I only have the one 32meg memory card right now. But I just ordered a 512meg one off of Amazon in a couple of days. Can't freakin wait =P Anyway...

Here's prolly how the dude figured it out. If you look closely at your PSP, you'll see that when you select the game to load up and it shows the PSP logo, the light doesn't start blinking right away. That means it's not accessing the memory card, therefore, at this point, it's completly safe to remove the memory card in this 5-second window without losing any data.

This same principle can probably be applied to other ideas. For instance, using the PSP's on-board memory, there is a built-in function that allows files to be "copied" from one card to another using the PSP and several memory card swaps. I would guess that Sony would attempt to release a firmware update to disable this to prevent this "exploit", if you will. So it would be obvous that, if you wanna keep using homebrew, do NOT upgrade your firmware. There's currently no need to at this point anyway. Only possible reason I could see would be if they released their own standalone browser for the PSP, which would make Internet access with the Wi-Fi that much easier.

I personally cannot wait for my 2nd Memory Card. Free movies and 16-bit games on my PSP. Bliss! ^_^

kidloak09
July 7th, 2005, 04:29
The trick is cool (of taking out the MS1 and inserting MS2 as fast as you can) but theres an easier way to do it... Place two folders in the game folder of the psp. For example the only snes emulator avaliable for the 1.5 do this
ex: psp/game/%SNES%/ <the one that goes in MS1>
psp/game/SNES/ <the one for MS2>

Now you can play your snes emulator without having to swap memory sticks.
P.S. All your roms still go in the MS2 folder

kidloak09
July 7th, 2005, 04:33
the one with the percent signs is MS1

Luster_2
August 27th, 2005, 10:38
hmmm I just get the error message "the game could not be started (80010002)"
That's the same problem for me when I want to lanch a game plz can anyone help me ='(='(

Cap'n 1time
August 27th, 2005, 18:10
That's the same problem for me when I want to lanch a game plz can anyone help me ='(='(

well. do you have a 1.5 psp?