PDA

View Full Version : 3D Sound for All Consoles

mavsman4457
July 4th, 2007, 21:01
I know this technology isn't brand new but I don't think many people have heard about or experienced this yet. I don't understand why consoles are not utilizing the idea of 3D sound. This would be especially good for handhelds since this is best when used with headphones. Ken Kutaragi (If that is his name) even talked about 4D gaming but didn't mention 3D sound. Trust me, you will want to listen to this with headphones. Without further ado, here's the link:

http://r-1.ch.nyud.net:8080/VB-1.mp3

bah
July 5th, 2007, 07:01
Its certainly directional to the left and right as its stereo but I really cannot notice anything that indicates forwards and backwards (the 3rd dimension) other than a slight muffled sound to the voice sometimes, perhaps when the person is 'behind'.

Edit: Sennheiser HD 457 headphones.

What exactly is 4D gaming? Time passes in most games.
Is it when time is a gameplay mechanic beyond things happening rather than the game world being paused ie prince of persia?
Or events/actions that only occur at certain real world/in game times?
Anyone?

I found a '4D' mousepad (http://www.atruereview.com/steelpad4d/index.php), Im still looking for the flux capacitor.
(This is not an ad, do not pay $23 for a crappy mousepad).

rollinroll
July 5th, 2007, 08:20
OMG it sounds real! i almost got scared!

tvrstl
July 5th, 2007, 09:23
Oh Yeah, would like this on newer games!!

Cool. I kept looking behind my shoulder, and no one was there:P

DarthPaul
July 5th, 2007, 09:46
What the f? 3d Sound!? :O!! Awesome!!

Psyberjock
July 5th, 2007, 10:18
Some games already have this. Monster Hunter Portable 1 and 2 have Dolby Digital II. It sounds just like that. Then other consoles also have it. Even Xbox 1 had dolby 5.1 on certain titles.

It's available and even used at times, I think the game companies just think that users don't care enough or don't notice it enough to go through the trouble of doing it.

sup3rman
July 5th, 2007, 10:22
omg the end freaked me out! i was listening to it at 2am lol it was so real it sounded like someone else was in the room i riped my headphones of..lol if you dont think this wold enhance games you are stupid then lol:thumbup: :thumbup:

bah
July 5th, 2007, 10:25
Directional sound with a 5.1 speaker setup works great in PC games, the 2 speaker or headphones based systems have never been very effective for me.

If i was to say that things sounded like they were behind me in that track, I would have to say that everything did. Do you have any others that have someone in front, someone behind so it is clearer to differentiate?

MasterMunt
July 5th, 2007, 10:42
Can you imagine Silent Hill with that, all the monsters and all the different creepy sounds, the sirens... that was really incredible!

Vangar
July 5th, 2007, 11:36
Are there any other ones? That was awesome!

DarthPaul
July 5th, 2007, 12:28
Omg!! I'm listening to it right now!! I almost get the smell of the haircut haha! This is awesome... OMG THE END!! This freaks out!

error101290
July 6th, 2007, 19:01
this is really cool, I didn't realize that with only two speakers on a headphone that you could emulate every direction

defklf
July 6th, 2007, 20:32
well, you only have two ears so of course it's possible.

this technology has been used for games since.... hmmm... since around doom 1 i believe..

mcdougall57
July 7th, 2007, 13:47
oh this would kick so much ass in resident evil when zombies are creeping up behind you or metal gear solid so you can hear the enemy around corners, behind and above

bassCore
July 7th, 2007, 23:28
I've learned this technique in school, pretty basic actually. But it is really cool.

acn010
July 7th, 2007, 23:37
did you ever heard surround sound?!?!?!?! search it ;)

da1writer
July 7th, 2007, 23:59
This is actually used in Pspgenesis, just put on some headphones when playing your Genesis games and the music is totally surround sound. Trust me, It's unbelievable!

The_It
July 8th, 2007, 06:36
lol thats so cool

bah
July 8th, 2007, 07:00
Da1writer: No Megadrive/Genesis games are surround sound and I don't believe that PSPgenesis has any feature to add It (playback '3d' sound 'enhancers' working from a plain stereo source really don't work).

I'ts just good use of stereo.

Was this barber thing is done with the proper binaural (mic. in each ear of a dummy head) method, which is different to what games use as they have to use an algorithm to fake the same effect?

If the barber clip isn't true 'binaural' audio ( i recall them mentioning some algorithm) it would make sense as the 3D didn't really work for me.

da1writer
July 8th, 2007, 19:24
Sorry about that, you are right that it uses really great stereo. Is there any other mp3 files like the barber shop one?

l33t_haxz0r
July 8th, 2007, 21:39
:O thats crazy.. i thought i was gonna die when he got out the electric razor >_<

Skateblind
July 9th, 2007, 01:07
Boring, its been around for ages, I dont know if games use it, but thats what surround sound is for I guess. Post something better please, like some news...