PDA

View Full Version : Capcom To Unveil New 2-D Fighting Game

JKKDARK
July 5th, 2007, 02:22
via Wired Blogs (http://blog.wired.com/games/2007/07/capcom-to-unvei.html)

Capcom, a publisher that once ruled the video arcade on the strength of its fighting games, hasn't produced a traditional 2-D fighter in over three years, much to the chagrin of its fan base. Today, their Japanese arm decided to rile up said fan base by posting a teaser trailer for a new 2-D fighting game, to be unveiled soon.

No details were given as to what that game might be. The site says the game is a "Capcom original," which could mean that it's a new franchise, but could also simply mean that it is not based on an outside license.

Fan speculation has already run the gamut: Street Fighter IV? Marvel vs. Capcom 3? Rumormonger "neo2046" at GAF says that it's based on their Devil Kings (Sengoku Basara) franchise, and developed by Guilty Gear makers Arc System Works.

I doubt it'll be a Street Fighter game, as I believe the rumors that control of the storied martial arts franchise has been handed to Capcom's US division and the artists at Udon Comics. But apart from that, your guess is as good as mine, at this point.

Basil Zero
July 5th, 2007, 03:20
hopefully it'll be something cool and not messed up.

Darkstalkers was awesome

maybe something about knights and medieval era like soul calibur, that would be so pwnage :)

VampDude
July 5th, 2007, 04:35
They need to release namcoXcapcom outside of Japan, although neither namco or Capcom can agree on what company it will go under. But sadly that game isn't new so it's not that, I reckon it's another multi-cast game of characters from other Capcom games

Junixx
July 5th, 2007, 05:42
Ohhhhhhh I'd love for it to be a Marvel vs. Capcom game!

gslop
July 5th, 2007, 07:14
sounds interesting

Basil Zero
July 5th, 2007, 07:39
doubt it is Marvel VS Capcom ,since EA owns marvel, and we all know how they are :rollseyes:

NamcoXCapcom SHOULD COME OUT, YOU HEAR THAT CAPCOM OR NAMCO, RELEASE IT!!!!

anyways, hopefully it involves weapons.

Baboon
July 5th, 2007, 11:55
I wonder if this is for the arcade or for home consoles?

Either way a new 2D game would be great - so long as its not like their last dismal effort 'Capcom fighting jam'.

JKKDARK
July 6th, 2007, 23:08
I loved the vs games, I played them on Dreamcast :)

VampDude
July 6th, 2007, 23:36
I loved the vs games, I played them on Dreamcast :)

Dreamcast I believe was the first home console to have the V.S. games :)

JKKDARK
July 6th, 2007, 23:48
Dreamcast I believe was the first home console to have the V.S. games :)

No, the first one was X-Men vs. Street Fighter, available for Sega Saturn and PlayStation.

chrono75
July 7th, 2007, 00:36
This is good news! However, I don't think it's SF or MvC3. I believe it will be a branch off of Final Fight most likely. It's been a long time since we've seen a title from that series.

ish420ism
July 8th, 2007, 05:23
The good old days. I was the 2D fighter MuthaF-ing Mastah. Even against the Asians. And they were good:thumbup: .