PDA

View Full Version : Quake 2 - Multiplayer Beta 2

BrooksyX
July 8th, 2007, 17:53
McZonk has updated his blog over at http://emergencyexit.untergrund.net/

He also has released his second multiplayer beta for Quake 2:

I am one of those geek who code for relaxing. My girl is in holidays and between the exams I really need some relaxing. So I am working on Quake 2 in the free time. When I decided to continue the work, I knew that exams will be soon. So I want to start after them and I said the first release will be in august. But as every semester I hate learning and instead I doing tons of other stuff like practice guitar playing or even tidy up and cleaning the desk.
I fixed a lot of bugs and added some features in Quake 2. And now it is time to release the second multiplayer beta. I still focus on multiplayer, because I think this is the more capable type of gameplay for the psp.
Here is another video from Stranno playing against his friend and me.

.pak File Support

Quake 2 has a simple archive format called pak. I have added support for pak files. This will decrease the copy to memory stick rapidly. It also increases loading time a little bit. I have rewritten the memory management for those archive and they use much less memory. So it is acceptable to use them.
Sound

I čave implemented sound in Quake 2 now. It is still very buggy and slow. Exspecially the sound during the id logo is pretty ugly because a lot of power is used for decoding the video data. But during the game it is very nice even if not all sound data is loaded so far.
Clipping

As I already explained in another post psp hardware clipping is implemented very badly. So you need to correct it in software. In the previous Quake 2 versions I did this with some flimsy tricks. So I never looked as bad as on the first screenshot, but this is the result of pure hardware clipping on the handheld.

http://emergencyexit.untergrund.net/wp-content/uploads/q2-110.png
Quake 2 - Faulty Clipping

http://emergencyexit.untergrund.net/wp-content/uploads/q2-111.png
Quake 2 - Fixed Clipping

Now I finally fixed clipping. During my studies I learned that it is much more important to optimize the algorithm than the code. And so the algorithm is pretty fast, but the code is not. Even if clipping is not slow at the moment, there is a lot of potential to make it faster, by using the vfpu as example. Since I have an algorithm I am happy with, I can now start to optimize the speed.

http://emergencyexit.untergrund.net/wp-content/uploads/q2-112.png
Quake 2 - Clipping Regions

http://emergencyexit.untergrund.net/wp-content/uploads/q2-113.png
Quake 2 - Clipping Regions

The screenshots show the different regions of clipping. The blur regions are sorted out early without even be clipped. I use a polygon prediction to decide that a surface does not need clipping at all. The green surfaces are tested, but not clipped and the yellow ones are clipped at the viewing frustum. The first screenshot uses no exact clipping, so the green regions never can reach the borders of the screen. The second image increases the size of the viewing volume. So more polygons are sorted out early. The threshold (ε) is still between the psp hardware clipping limits. When the tolerance is raised the chance of clipping errors is increased to, but the drawing is faster. You can set the clipping tolerance via console. The variable is called: gu_clippinge and a good ε is between 0 and 5, default is 0.
There are still clipping errors in the sky and the inline models like doors and elevators. I will fix this with the next version.
Flipscreen support

You can set gu_flipscreen 1 in the console to turn around the psp viewing by π (180°). So you can hold the psp upside down. I implemented this because I want to make Quake 2 as configurable as possible, but it is not in the menu because I think that not much players will use it and when you enable to it accidentally, it may be very confusing.
Master Server

I am trying this with my beta testers, but it is still not stable enough to use. So it is disabled in this release.

Please be sure you read Quake 2 Multiplayer Howto before you ask question. And again, if you have trouble, do not post in a random board, instead come to the chat irc.freenode.org #emergencyexit and ask my teammates or me. If you want to play a game, you are also welcome to challange me. I will accept if I have the time.

Did you read the text or just scrolled down to the link?

Download is too big to upload, link is at the bottom of http://emergencyexit.untergrund.net/2007/07/quake-2-multiplayer-second-beta/

titch.ryan
July 8th, 2007, 18:29
awesome great work.

this will be amazing once everything has been implemented.

gslop
July 8th, 2007, 19:25
Thanks this is awesome!

scarph
July 8th, 2007, 19:50
coolio

Vangar
July 9th, 2007, 02:35
Does it have bots yet?

Briggzy11
July 9th, 2007, 03:16
I rarely criticise a computer game however I have played every Quake game (including 3 and 4 online) and I really hated them. I cannot see why people love this game, either way its good to know it can play on a PSP right. Well done McZonk, A* for all the work you are putting into this project

bah
July 9th, 2007, 05:33
Excellent, thanks McZonk!

Briggzy11: Other's seem to quite enjoy them :)

From playing quake 1 with no 3d acceleration to my beloved voodoo2 powered GL quake onwards the series has been one of my favorites. Pre CS they were THE online FPS games to play.

*shrug* each to their own.

Thanks once more for all the work McZonk, It's very much appreciated.

Panini
July 9th, 2007, 14:48
Is this adhoc multiplayer or just infastucture?

If someone could tell me id be happy as I cant check the readme now. :)

McZonk
July 9th, 2007, 15:25
Only multiplayer over infrastructure at the moment.

Buddy4point0
July 9th, 2007, 16:26
i love quake on psp. its great and very well put together. still has a few things it could need but overall is very nice

Baboon
July 9th, 2007, 20:51
Ideal this is being worked on. :)

When adhoc is sorted this will be a killer game on my lunch breaks in work. :)

Gabba Gandalf
July 10th, 2007, 16:31
i cant see any servers :(

titch.ryan
July 10th, 2007, 19:01
has anyone set up a server?

Gabba Gandalf
July 10th, 2007, 19:57
ive just played against mc Zonk (hes realy good or hes cheating ^^ ) and Team Emergency Exit
its realy funny to frag some people on the psp in quake 2

McZonk
July 11th, 2007, 01:33
I am not cheating, I'm just really good. The only advantage is that I have lower ping because the server is next to me (but ping is not that important on the psp) and I have a better Quake 2 than the second beta. My version runs with 30 to 60 fps instead of 15 to 30 in the current public version, this offers better aiming.
Some players that regularly join my server since the first beta are much tougher opponents now. So practice to master Quake 2 on the psp. Good luck!

Gabba Gandalf
July 13th, 2007, 13:46
cool i didnt know that you are German McZonk ^^ hallo -.-
but i want to know if there are other maps in the beta cauze we only play The Edge

siulmagic
July 16th, 2007, 00:26
i cant seem to get this to work when i try join network server psp lan light lit on then turns off and quake 2 just freezes i cant still exit quake 2 eny one know how to solve this id really apreciate also do i need full quake 2 to play or can i just play with the files you guys ditribute in quake 2

takhaet
July 17th, 2007, 09:05
Cool game!