PDA

View Full Version : jEnesisDS v0.4 - Genesis Emulator for the Nintendo DS

wraggster
July 10th, 2007, 00:17
Heres an entry into the GBAX Coding Comp 2007 (http://gbax.gp2x.de/gbax2007.html).

Release from Lordus

"jEnesisDS" is a Sega MegaDrive/Genesis Emulator for the Nintendo DS.
It started as a port of my Java Genesis/32X emulator jEnesis. By now, the code has been
completely rewritten and many parts (CPU core, parts of GPU) are written in ARM assembler.

It didnt quite want to release it yet, but decided to do so entering it in the GBAX competition.
There is no sound emulation yet, just some code to fake the Z80 and make more games boot.
Unfortunately this can affect some games, that use the Z80 for timing, but should be O.K for most
games.

Compatibility is already quite good, but not anywhere near the Java version, due to the missing
Z80 emulation and some "shortcuts" taken to speed up the emulation.

jEnesisDS has a quite accurate software renderer, which i decided to disable for this release,
because it is a compile time option atm and cannot be choosen in the settings yet.
The hardware renderer is not complete and shows certain glitches with some games, but is already
quite usable with most games. If a game is missing sprites (Eliminate DOwn) try disabling
H-INT emulation.

You have to play a bit with the settings to make some games boot or work better.
Some games work faster with "Idle Loop Detection", others without (Castlevania, Gunstar Heroes),
and some games just boot if it is disabled.
The same goes for H-INT emulation. If a game doesnt boot just try changing those options.

Very few games will just boot, if checksum autofixing is disabled (Dynamite Heady, Thunder Force IV).

Currently i see no way to include scaling into the HW renderer, so you have to live
with parts of the screen being cut off or use the SW renderer (once it is enabled in a future release).

Changelog:

v0.4 * Initial Preview Release
- Custom ARM asm Motorola68000 CPU core
- Hardware and Software renderer (this release defaults to the HW renderer and the SW
renderer can not yet been choosen through the settings.
- VDP emulation with all DMA modes
- Horizontal & Vertical Interrupts
- Support for PAL/NTSC and all country codes (all games will run at 60Hz though)
- .smd, .bin & .gen support
- partial SRAM save/load support (doesnt work for all games yet)
- Line based renderer
- Scroll Layers A+B & Window rendering with priorities (horizontal Windows arenot emulated in the
HW renderer yet)

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

phanboy_iv
July 10th, 2007, 01:32
Great! I would really like a good Genesis emu for the DS.

Sir_Voe
July 10th, 2007, 02:05
Really wasn't expecting this. Runs everything I've thrown at it nice and smooth, even Contra: Hard Corps. A very nice surprise, thanks.

crookedmouth
July 10th, 2007, 03:07
I agree, runs with good speed and feels correct. It didn't run Pirates! Gold though :( love that game, but anyway Streets of Rage2 , Golden Axe 1 & 2, Mercs, PGA all feel fantastic.
Great work Lordus. The "yet" at the end of no sound emulation is heartening :)

fook123
July 10th, 2007, 03:17
First DlDI support for my games n music and now gunstar heroes on the go...... this is awsome.

Lordus
July 10th, 2007, 03:30
It didn't run Pirates! Gold though :( love that game

This made me kind of wonder, because i know i've tested that game, so i looked into it and found out, that somehow i stupidly compiled the version i submitted with an older version of my cpu core.

I guess that my "real" current version should boot about 15-20% more games.

I am a bit too lazy atm to release a fixed version, as i didnt sleep very much lately, but i might in the next days.

Gunnex
July 10th, 2007, 03:50
Wow, full speed. I am happy.

crookedmouth
July 10th, 2007, 03:52
This made me kind of wonder, because i know i've tested that game, so i looked into it and found out, that somehow i stupidly compiled the version i submitted with an older version of my cpu core.

I guess that my "real" current version should boot about 15-20% more games.

I am a bit too lazy atm to release a fixed version, as i didnt sleep very much lately, but i might in the next days.

Thats even greater news Lordus :)
I was just wondering, how realistic is the possibility of sound? As it stands now this is an incredible alpha, so either way thank you.

edit- I hope that didn't sound rude. I'm not knocking the emulator, the picodrive dev was so certain that he couldn't do sound.

DanTheManMS
July 10th, 2007, 04:06
It's interesting to see a Genesis emulator take advantage of the DS's 2D hardware to speed things up like this. I didn't notice any major graphical issues in my limited testing, so I'm guessing this move is more effective than it is with the SNES emulators for the DS. Does the DS have enough layers to correctly emulate all of the Genesis layers in hardware? This is a major problem of the hardware emulation of the SNES emulators for the DS, so I'm just curious if you ran into the same pitfall.

In any case, this looks great so far, so thank you for your contribution Lordus.

Just a question: about how much is the software renderer expected to slow things down? I know PicoDriveDS uses a software renderer, which is why frameskip is effective (and used) for it. With the software renderer, will a frameskip option be available to increase speed?

Lordus
July 10th, 2007, 04:33
Thats even greater news Lordus :)
I was just wondering, how realistic is the possibility of sound? As it stands now this is an incredible alpha, so either way thank you.

edit- I hope that didn't sound rude. I'm not knocking the emulator, the picodrive dev was so certain that he couldn't do sound.

No problem. Of course the first question i expected before releasing it was about sound. I cannot really say much about it atm, but ill definately try everything i can to make sound work. PSG sound is realistic in my opinion, the FM chip just really needs a lot of power to be emulated. But we'll see ;)

It's interesting to see a Genesis emulator take advantage of the DS's 2D hardware to speed things up like this. I didn't notice any major graphical issues in my limited testing, so I'm guessing this move is more effective than it is with the SNES emulators for the DS. Does the DS have enough layers to correctly emulate all of the Genesis layers in hardware? This is a major problem of the hardware emulation of the SNES emulators for the DS, so I'm just curious if you ran into the same pitfall.

In any case, this looks great so far, so thank you for your contribution Lordus.

Just a question: about how much is the software renderer expected to slow things down? I know PicoDriveDS uses a software renderer, which is why frameskip is effective (and used) for it. With the software renderer, will a frameskip option be available to increase speed?

It would be a lot easier, if the DS had 8 BGs on ONE screen. The Genesis just has 2 layers, but there are also 2 problems: It has per tile priority and can address 2048 tiles, while the DS can just address 1024 per layer.
So i am already using all 4 DS layers to make up for the per tile priority and dynamically map Genesis tile indices to DS ones. This process is not perfected and if you encounter glitches, its most likely, that the game used more than 1024 unique tiles in a layer. But i am working on improving that of course.

The software renderer slows down quite a bit. Most games run "fullspeed" with a frameskip of 1-2. When the SW renderer is enabled ill also include an option to adjust frameskip.

Junixx
July 10th, 2007, 04:40
Oh WOW! I wasn't expecting this when I got home, running fullspeed too! Great Work! :thumbup: :D

Adrenalin
July 10th, 2007, 06:51
Dude! brilliant stuff.

kudos kudos

RV2006
July 10th, 2007, 11:38
This looks amazing!

I hope you continue to work on it, and make it even better!

F2bnp
July 10th, 2007, 12:43
I hope he updates it soon...
It is kinda good actually.
I can now play sonic 3 good!

hadrian
July 10th, 2007, 13:02
What i've tested so far

Addams Family
Aladdin LITTLE SCROLLING PROBLEM
Another World SLOW
Aquatic Games
Art of Fighting LITTE GRAPHIC GLITCHES
Batman
Beyond Oasis BACKGROUND GLITCHES
Bio-Hazard Battle NOT WORKING
Brutal - Paws of Fury GRAPHIC GLITCHES ON FIGHTER SELECT
California Games NOT WORKING
Cannon Fodder GRAPHIC GLITCHES
Chakan
Chaos Engine GRAPHIC GLITCHES
Chuck Rock
Chuck Rock 2
Clayfighter SOME GRAPHIC GLITCHES
Columns 3
Comix Zone GRAPHIC GLITCHES
Cool Spot
Death & Return of Superman
Decap Attack
Earthworm Jim
Earthworm Jim 2
Eternal Champions SPRITES FLICKER
Fantastic Dizzy
Fatal Fury 2
Fifa '96 NOT WORKING
Flashback
Ghouls 'n' Ghosts SLIGHT GRAPHIC GLITCH
Gods
Humans CRASHES AT MENU SCREEN
It Came From The Desert CRASHES AT MENU
James Pond
James Pond 2: Robocod
James Pond 3: Operation Starfish CRASHES AFTER EA SCREEN
Jim Power
Jimmy Whites Whirlwind Snooker NOT WORKING
Joe & Mac Caveman Ninja
Jungle Book GRAPHIC GLITCHES
Jungle Strike
Killing Game Show NOT WORKING
Killing Game Show Remix NOT WORKING
King of Fighters '98 CRASHES AFTER FIGHTER SELECT
Krustys Super Funhouse NOT WORKING
Land Stalker
Lemmings
Lemmings 2 - The Tribes
Lethal Enforcers
Lethal Enforcers 2
Lion King
Mega Bomberman NOT WORKING
Mega Man - The Wiley Wars NOT WORKING
Mega Swiv CRASHES EMULATOR
Mega Turrican
Mick & Mac Global Gladiators
Midnight Resistance
Mortal Kombat II NOT WORKING
Mortal Kombat III NOT WORKING
New Zealand Story
Ninja Gaiden NOT WORKING
Ooze
Page Master NOT WORKING
Paperboy GRAPHIC GLITCHES & CRASHES SOMETIMES
Paperboy 2 A LITTLE TEXT GLITCH
Psycho Pinball
Punisher GRAPHIC GLITCHES
Risky Woods GRAPHIC GLITCHES
Ristar
Road Rash NOT WORKING
Robocop Vs Terminator
Rocket Knight Adventures NOT WORKING
Samurai Showdown SOME GRAPHIC GLITCHES
Second Samurai
Shadow of the Beast CRASHES AFTER EA SCREEN
Shadow of the Beast 2 SOME GRAPHICAL GLITCHES, SOMETIMES SLOW
Shadow Run
Sonic The Hedghog Compilation
Sonic & Knuckles
Splatterhouse 2
Splatterhouse 3
Speedball II
Street Fighter Special Championship Ed
Strider
Strider 2
Sunset Riders
Super Street Fighter NOT WORKING
The Haunting GRAPHIC GLITCHES
Worms
Xenon Megablast SLOW & WITH GRAPHIC ERRORS
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Hyperstone Hiest
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Tournement Fighters
Terminator
Terminator 2 - Arcade Game TEXT GLITCHES
Toejam & Earl SPRITES FLICKER
Turrican BACKGROUND GLITCHES
Ultimate Mortal Kombat NOT WORKING
Urban Strike
Vectorman NOT WORKING
Vectorman 2 NOT WORKING
Wiz & Liz
Zero Tolerance
Zombies Ate My Neighbours SOME GRAPHIC GLITCHES
Zool BACKGROUND SHAKES A LOT

XDelusion
July 10th, 2007, 14:33
I'm trying to play Monster World IV translated into English, but the emu tells me that the game is only ment to be played in such and such country, then hangs at that screen.

Is there some sort of rom tool that can get me past this issue? If I don't patch the rom to play in English it boots right up, but in English it hangs. I tried to alter the region with Sega Tool, but it said there was no protection or something and could not do it.

Other than that, Castlevania is running quite well, I hope it can perform at the same speeds with sound implimented!

Great work, a total surprise!

For those who don't know, this is Monster World IV:

http://www.emucamp.com/monsterworld/genesis/monster%20world%20iv/screenshots.htm

Homerun
July 10th, 2007, 16:33
Picto DS Or This?

Granville
July 10th, 2007, 17:41
This is cool! If you need extra power you might consider using ram expansions (opera, ezflash 3in1). Just don't make it necessary. It might free up some room to get the sound working. Maybe no, though. I've no experience in programming. Do larger roms like Sonic 3 and Knuckles boot in this? And how did you get this to work in NO$GBA? I saw it on the website, but it crashes whenever I press select on the first config screen. Keep up the good work!

Dyson
July 10th, 2007, 18:32
Amazing tool! I came on here earlier today with the intention of finding a Genesis emulator - and low and behold, a brand spaking new one is posted today! Not to mention it works fantastically.

Just out of interest, why is it hard to implement sound in to working emulators?

Sonny_Jim
July 10th, 2007, 22:26
This is cool! If you need extra power you might consider using ram expansions (opera, ezflash 3in1).
Having more RAM does NOT make things faster inherently. Given that there's not many Genesis games bigger than 4MB, add on top of that the fact that it's slower than main memory AND hard to code, I don't think there's any point.

wraggster
July 10th, 2007, 22:38
thanks Lordus for a truly breath taking entry into the ds emulation scene.

Decent 16bit emulation is something we all dream of for the DS, Genesis and Snes were and are the best consoles ever made for sheer awesome games.

anyone tried

Meglomania
Super Skidmarks

blindfold
July 10th, 2007, 22:45
Great! It's like breaking a law of gravity. Honestly I didn't expected that coming.

Did you wondered about using one screen for normal display and the second screen for zoomed view in the same time? At least DSs' 2 screens can be used somehow....

Lordus
July 11th, 2007, 02:42
Thanks for all the positive responses!

hadrian:
Bio-Hazard Battle and Rocket Knight Adventures should definately work, i guess the roms are at fault here.
Many of the other games work with the current cpu core, which also fixes some of the graphic glitches.
Most of them are due to the hardware renderer though, which is still quite experimental.

XDelusion:
If you know how to do that, then try changing address 0x1f0 of the tranlated rom from 'U' to 'J' in a hex editor, then it should work.

Just out of interest, why is it hard to implement sound in to working emulators?

The sound hardware of the Genesis needs a lot of power to be emulated. There is a Z80 as sound processor, a FM Chip and a PSG.
It is like you would have a complete Master System emulator running at the same time. Not to mention that everything also has to be synchronized.

Did you wondered about using one screen for normal display and the second screen for zoomed view in the same time? At least DSs' 2 screens can be used somehow....

A scaled view will be available with the software renderer. I dont see a way to do that with the HW renderer. To have both running at the same time would slow things down a lot.

darkknight090
July 11th, 2007, 04:48
for some odd reason i try to use this emu and i can't get it to load, and this was after i patched it, i'm using a max media dock if that helps.

crookedmouth
July 11th, 2007, 04:53
I can't believe that guy tested almost 100 games when you said that your newer cpu core will be 15-20% more compatible. That's the power of the 16bit dream.

cory1492
July 11th, 2007, 05:56
Nice Lordus, thanks for sharing (compo or no)!

Drego
July 11th, 2007, 15:25
Wow. I think I speak for the rest of us in the community when I say "Thank you"
This is top of the line for an alpha release. PictoDrive can't comepare to this. When this loaded Pirates!....I was sold for life.

So yeah, great work!

As for the sound. I believe that the way you are trying to go about might actually work. I would be so happy if I could hear the sounds of my childhood come back :-)

Keep up the good work! :thumbup:

F2bnp
July 11th, 2007, 15:49
The GUI is actually really cool!

Dyson
July 11th, 2007, 15:51
The sound hardware of the Genesis needs a lot of power to be emulated. There is a Z80 as sound processor, a FM Chip and a PSG.
It is like you would have a complete Master System emulator running at the same time. Not to mention that everything also has to be synchronized.

Thanks for the reply! From reading your reply, it sounds as though it might not be possible to do, however, I'm sure you've got some sort of workaround planned.

Metaluna
July 11th, 2007, 17:12
I've just tried Beyond Oasis / Story of Thor which doesn't work with Picodrive and it runs at full speed!

I really couldn't believe my eyes! very impressive work indeed! :thumbup:

igotdez
July 11th, 2007, 22:49
I Dont Get It How Am I Apose To Find The Roms On This After I Press Selct To Contue Im Using A Max Media 4 Gig

crookedmouth
July 12th, 2007, 05:10
Wow. I think I speak for the rest of us in the community when I say "Thank you"
This is top of the line for an alpha release. PictoDrive can't comepare to this. When this loaded Pirates!....I was sold for life.

Pirates! works for you!? I get a green screen and then garbled movement. What settings did you use? The rom I have works great with picodrive so I doubt its the rom.

for some odd reason i try to use this emu and i can't get it to load, and this was after i patched it, i'm using a max media dock if that helps.

I have to tap the controller icon then press select, then navigate to roms folder.

I Dont Get It How Am I Apose To Find The Roms On This After I Press Selct To Contue Im Using A Max Media 4 Gig

You are using the DLDI Patch for MMP 4GB HDD right?

If not, DL it.
DLDI Patch for MMP 4GB
http://forums.maxconsole.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=15443

If so just navigate to your roms folder and press A.

turnerl
July 12th, 2007, 06:28
NO WAY! perfect monster world emulation!!! cant even emulate it perfect on my gamecube or ps2 LOL
thankyou, thankyou, thankyou!!!

igotdez
July 12th, 2007, 20:11
Pirates! works for you!? I get a green screen and then garbled movement. What settings did you use? The rom I have works great with picodrive so I doubt its the rom.

I have to tap the controller icon then press select, then navigate to roms folder.

You are using the DLDI Patch for MMP 4GB HDD right?

If not, DL it.
DLDI Patch for MMP 4GB
http://forums.maxconsole.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=15443

If so just navigate to your roms folder and press A.

well i did patch it and everytime i lauch it it works fine and everything but right after the configs i press select to contiue and i dont get nothing am i apose to name the folder with my roms a specail name or something

Tooplex
July 12th, 2007, 21:23
awesome emulator but the Screen position is a bit zooming in so its hard to see a few things off screen is that hard to fix and will there eventually be sound do you think?

DanTheManMS
July 12th, 2007, 21:29
awesome emulator but the Screen position is a bit zooming in so its hard to see a few things off screen is that hard to fix
Read the ReadMe file to find out.

and will there eventually be sound do you think?
Read the other posts in this thread for some info about sound.

EDIT: also, the first post in this thread mentions scaling as well

Lordus
July 16th, 2007, 01:43
As promised, here is the updated version with the newer cpu core.
I decided to split the HW and SW renderer versions, because it makes my life a bit easier...

The SW renderer version is included as a separate binary in this release and features 2 different scaling types:
"Jitter" might look better for action games, "Blend" mostly makes text more readable.

There is also a new option in the HW renderer: Force Update

If enabled, it reduces the chance of tile corruptions, but can also lead to massive slowdowns, if a game updates more tiles than the DS can handle in rapid succession.
So "off" is basically faster. You can however switch to "on" temporarily, if the tiles got corrupted to force a one-time update (Viewpoint).

Hope you like it ;)

turnerl
July 16th, 2007, 01:59
Thanks Lordus you ROCK!!!!!!

Sir_Voe
July 16th, 2007, 04:24
I'm enjoying the new builds, especially the SW one. Most of the games I like run well with frameskip set to 1, which is less of a trade-off than I expected. Can't wait to see where this one goes. Thanks again.

em22
July 17th, 2007, 00:39
Bloody brilliant! Excellent work, I always knew the DS was powerfull enough to emulate the Ganesis!

Thanks a lot my good man! I cannot wait for sound to be squeezed out of the cpu aswell!!

Please keek up the momentum :)

fkhan
July 17th, 2007, 08:47
@ Lordus

I have not tested 0.4a but sometimes game ran(Golden Axe 3) above 60fps, so I was wondering if you could please lock fps to 60 so it does not ruin our play by running too fast.

**Will see if this is fixed in 0.4a**

Thanks anyways

FOXit2U
July 17th, 2007, 13:08
This is pretty good! :thumbup:
But with HW renderer version, there are still many bugs in Sonic games! :( Sonic 3 is a real buggy thing! And after I completed the first Zone Of Sonic 3 and I come in the second Zone of the game, you know, by falling from the sky, It freezes! :( Also some bugs in Sonic 1 and 2! And Sonic 3D Blast doesnīt even run. :(
But I think, you will fix this stuff in newer releases in the future! ;)
Well, now all we need is screen scaling in HW Renderer and Sound! :)

Now the Software renderer, well, its good, but the framerate isnīt as good as in HW renderer, but, thats normal I think! SW renderer in PC games is also not the best in fps! ;)
But the SW renderer hasnīt the annoying bugs in Sonic 1 and 2, I havent truly tested Sonic 3 with SW renderer yet, but the Intro runs whithout bugs (not like HW renderer where you see alot of pixels and the moving hand only)!
At least I know how the scaling works and looks like, And I must say It looks very good!
So, please keep it up and if you can, try to make a build with sound emulation and include it in one of the next releases! ;) :thumbup:

Greetz,
FOXit2U

DanTheManMS
July 17th, 2007, 18:42
FOXit2U:
I too get the freeze in Sonic 3 when falling from the sky. Just use the Software renderer for that stage and then you can go back to using the hardware renderer.

Screen scaling in HW mode is unlikely, as is explained in the ReadMe file.

The Software renderer is made to be more accurate graphically at the cost of speed, so yes the FPS drop is expected.

Lordus
July 17th, 2007, 22:14
There are several games that can occasionally freeze with the HW renderer. That is a bug ill be working on until the next release.

As for graphical glitches: I'll try to minimize them in the HW renderer as much as possible, but it wouldnt be realistic to think it could ever accurately emulate the Genesis.
It is meant to make games more enjoyable at a higher framerate, but not to be pixel perfect.
There are some features of the Genesis VDP that just cannot be directly virtualized by the DS hardware (i.e. vertical column scrolling or sprite priorities/masking/limits). To implement those things would probably make the HW renderer slower than the SW one.
There are some things that can be optimized to make the SW renderer faster, and i am working on that, but it wont ever reach the HW renderer either.

As i got many mails about that and it also got asked here ill try to explain, why scaling is not possible with the HW renderer:
1. The Genesis has 2 BG layers, the DS has 4. The Genesis however has per tile priorities, meaning that a single tile of one layer that is behind another one can still be drawn in front. The DS is not capable of doing that, so i have to use all 4 BGs to emulate this behavior.

2. The Genesis can assign 2048 unique tiles per layer, the DS 1024 (with the BG being in Text mode). Tiled rotation BGs (the ones that can be scaled in Hardware on the DS, and there are only 2 of them!) have another format that just assigns a maximum of 256 unique tiles per layer.

Sonic3D is over 3MB, which is the maximum filesize jEnesisDS will load atm. The DS just has 4MB of RAM, so games like this would need some kind of paging to work. I am planning to add support in the future, but its not quite high in my list.

FOXit2U
July 17th, 2007, 23:38
How good will be the framerate in SW renderer when you put it to the maximum limit? better then now or noticeable better and smoother? Can you say some details on that?
At the moment the sw rendere feels like it has only a framerato of 15fps - 20fps.
And How good will be the framerate when you implement sound, because, this may need much of the cpuīs power (as you said some time ago)!?

Well, how good maybe the sound emulation? May it cause in extrem slowdowns in both renderer versions when turning on sound?

Greetz,
Tobibrocki

Zarigis
July 18th, 2007, 00:02
Amazing release! Unfortunately the fact that scaling is not possible with the hardware rendering makes some games unplayable, seeing as your life bar or such get rendered off-screen (such as beyond oasis). Would it be possible to have some sort of offset feature where you could choose to view the top-left portion of the screen rather than render just the center?

EDIT: Also, because of the control scheme some games "eg, 'Lost Vikings'" are unplayable because some buttons they use aren't implemented.

Tripsk8er333
July 19th, 2007, 07:49
AWSOME, I like the interface and the "Genesis" feel Great work! :)

p.s. can't wait for sound.

GREAT WORK! :)

cruton
July 19th, 2007, 17:59
I downloaded it and patched it up for my GnM, and I put that in my root directory of my card. Now, tell me if I'm doing this wrong... I also put my games in the same directory. When I boot up the emulator, I can't find the games so that I can play them. What am I doing wrong? Please help! The SNEmulDS doesn't do this!

Lordus
July 19th, 2007, 20:13
EDIT: Also, because of the control scheme some games "eg, 'Lost Vikings'" are unplayable because some buttons they use aren't implemented.

The only button that is not implemented is the 6-button pad's "Mode" button. So as long as you dont need that it should be fine...
Buttons are mapped like this:
A=[Y]
B=[B]
C=[A]
X=[X]
Y=[L]
Z=[R]
START=[START]
L,R,D,U= directional keys

totocorp
July 20th, 2007, 09:23
jEnesisDS rocks !:thumbup:

The idea of Zarigis is pretty good. There was a fabulous Master System emulator for GBA named DrSms, now discontinued.

It proposed 2 modes for screen scaling :
- the mode scaled which corresponds to the jEnesisDS_SW screen scaling,
- the mode unscaled which corresponds to the jEnesisDS_HW with no scaling screen.

The description of the 2nd mode (the best for me) is : "This option leaves the background and sprites unscaled. This means that you will have to scroll the screen up and down using the GBA L and R buttons. But it does give the best quality of graphics." One precision : it runs in game.

Lordus, do you think an option of this type (to scroll the screen up and down using the L and R buttons or use the tactile screen if these buttons are already used) would be possible to implement in a future release of JEnesisDS_ HW ?

One other question : I'm a fan of Wonderboy and it was a great surprise to see the 5th and 6th episodes working !!! The problem with these 2 games is that the saving possibility (and necessity to really play) doesn't work yet. Do you envisage to implement an save state option in a future release (which solve the problem without EEPROM support) ?

Thanks a lot for your amazing job and, please, excuse my poor english (I'm french). I hope my questions doesn't offend your work :confused:

Lordus
July 20th, 2007, 12:12
Lordus, do you think an option of this type (to scroll the screen up and down using the L and R buttons or use the tactile screen if these buttons are already used) would be possible to implement in a future release of JEnesisDS_ HW ?

One other question : I'm a fan of Wonderboy and it was a great surprise to see the 5th and 6th episodes working !!! The problem with these 2 games is that the saving possibility (and necessity to really play) doesn't work yet. Do yo envisage to implement an save state option in a future release (which solve the problem without EEPROM support) ?

Thanks a lot for your amazing job and, please, excuse my poor english (I'm french). I hope my questions doesn't offend your work :confused:

Screen positioning for the HW renderer is definately going to be there, it just didnt make it into the last release.

I am not really a fan of save states, but as it would be quite hard to implement eeprom saving into my current design, save states will be there in a future release.

Dont apologise for your English, its surely a lot better than my french ;)

knuxthefox
July 20th, 2007, 23:15
The emulator runs great, but how long before you have sound support?

totocorp
July 21st, 2007, 10:47
Screen positioning for the HW renderer is definately going to be there, it just didnt make it into the last release.

Yo, yo, yo !!!!!!!!! :thumbup:

I am not really a fan of save states, but as it would be quite hard to implement eeprom saving into my current design, save states will be there in a future release.

Hip hip hip, hourra !!!!!!!!! :D

I have just read an article in the press (Time Magazine): "The next release of jEnesisDS have now supplanted Harry Potter as the project the more awaited of the year. Lordus - Lord of Emulation - more powerfull than Lord Voldemort ? Undoubtedly !" :rolleyes:

nyprimus4
July 25th, 2007, 00:46
Gunstar Heroes runs silky smooth, neeeeed sound.

em22
August 10th, 2007, 00:27
Lordus : How are things coming on my good man? I'm not expecting a release, I'm just wondering if you have managed to get a bit more done..

Cheers :)

Lordus
August 10th, 2007, 02:41
I'm just wondering if you have managed to get a bit more done..

Cheers :)

Yes ;)

There will be definately a new release this month.
Some of the new features that are already implemented will be savestates and vertical scaling/screen positioning in the HW renderer version.

totocorp
August 10th, 2007, 18:23
The life is beautifull ! :thumbup:

henchturk
August 11th, 2007, 14:24
Does anyone know how to get the ea games (e.g. NHL and Fifa) working?

I get a red screen...

Sin-07
August 13th, 2007, 06:37
Very great work. I canīt wait for the next release.

I wanna play Mortal Kombat 2, with sound please.

Saff
August 14th, 2007, 05:49
Umm... guys, I need help with this. I patched up the jenesisDS HW and SW nds files, placed them into my flash card (G6 Real 8G) and attempt to run the program. That all worked, but when I pressed select, i just got a blank menu, and then the ds freezes. Help of any kind would be greatly appreciated.

bigleak2
August 14th, 2007, 20:26
i have a datels games n music and all the emu workbut this is one is the cooliest lol:thumbup: :D but anyways lordus when will you ever add sound to your emu i ant to play ultiamet mortal kombat 3 and mortal kombat 3 2 and 1 sorry about the spelling im kinda of in a hurry im about about to beat nba jam on your emu and im so happy :thumbup: :cool: so i would like to take this time to thank you for making this emu g2g:o

nhusch33
December 29th, 2007, 14:41
its sounds great.
if you need other to be testers of your emus i wont mind helping, im a big genesis fan love the idea of having land stalker on the go.