PDA

View Full Version : Webfest

wraggster
July 10th, 2007, 01:13
Heres an entry into the GBAX Coding Comp 2007 (http://gbax.gp2x.de/gbax2007.html).

Release from James Higgs (aka Jum)

Webfest is a abstract 3D wireframe "tunnel shooter" based on Tempest, but targeted more toward home handheld/console player. It uses the E3D cross-platform 3D scene library which I am busy writing, and in fact started off as one of E3D's examples.

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

voorheesda
July 10th, 2007, 02:46
Sound cool! But one important thing, please post some screens when you post something, not an order of course. It would just be appriciated. Peace!

Goemon4
July 10th, 2007, 03:02
great game, very fun, glad to see some great entries in this comp

IamAbe
July 10th, 2007, 06:31
like voorheesda said, i dont pull out my psp and put on a game unless i see a screenshot first and it looks good;) . anyway, thanx for your hard work, i'll try it out if i have time :D .

brasssmunky
July 10th, 2007, 06:43
need screenz plz

Buddy4point0
July 10th, 2007, 16:58
wheres darth paul? i would love to see a screen of it before i download this. as it sounds really cool but i wanna make sure it is

Aryn
July 10th, 2007, 18:26
This game is a great Tempest clone, complete with retro vector graphics and sound effects. I actually enjoyed playing it for a few minutes, and it brought back fond memories of playing games on an Atari 2600 when I was younger.

Actually, I am not sure about whether or not anybody agrees with me on this but I believe that the game would be more interesting if the graphics and sound effects were updated a bit, perhaps replacing the vector drawn ships with 3D polygon models or adding better visual effects for attacks/enemy deaths would spice things up a bit.

Filiph
July 11th, 2007, 13:26
cool ^^

jum
July 11th, 2007, 15:00
Thanks for the feedback already dudes. Just got to say 2 things:

1. I'll try to add a screenshot here, but really the game looks 97% like Tempest (and plays 85% like Tempest :} )

2. Very early on I decided not to "spice" up the graphics and 3D models, because A) making a game is NOT about eye-candy, and B) the existing graphics communicate effectively with the player, and C) I wanted to rather spend the time on implementing better gameplay, and figuring out how to make a Tempest-style game work on a handheld console.

- Jum