PDA

View Full Version : PSP: AniMayhem

Sp3ct0r
July 10th, 2007, 17:33
Here is my entry for the GBAX Coding Competition 2007

AniMayhem is coded in LUA for the PSP. It is based on the Japanese game, Jump Ultimate Stars.
In case you don't know, Jump Ultimate Stars is a Nintendo DS game in which you can play
as various characters from many of Shonen Jump's manga. AniMayhem includes 18 playable characters,
from series such as Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, Rurouni Kenshin, Yuu Yuu Hakusho, Dragon Ball Z,
D. Gray-Man, and Black Cat. The goal of the game is to destroy your opponent by reducing their
health to zero until all their lives are gone.

PS: This game contains over 1,400 images, that took a long time :p

++++++++++++
--Credits---
++++++++++++

Coded By: Sp3ct0r
Graphics: Sp3ct0r
Music & SFX: Sp3ct0r
Sprite Sheet Credits: Grim, Hyperlon, KyubiEyes, Neimad, Rei Master, Nemu, Alejo, menos_grante,
Nightmare, NeRo, Bentobox, Bonzai, Pakis Pride, and Illmatic.

--if i forgot anyone, just contact me and i'll add you to the credits.

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/2516/screen1ii2.png
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/4316/screen2zs1.png
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/845/screen3kp6.png
http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/1295/screen4qq0.png

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

wraggster
July 10th, 2007, 17:50
did you submit this to the guys at gbax ?

Aryn
July 10th, 2007, 18:10
The game reminded me of Smash GPSP, an earlier homebrew game.

The graphics were pretty nice but I thought the battles were a bit too long due to the characters not doing enough damage to each other, perhaps making the battles shorter would make the game more appealing. However, I am impressed with the character sprite design, they are well drawn and well animated. Perhaps you should consider offering your services to other homebrew developers as a 2D character designer.

Sp3ct0r
July 10th, 2007, 18:43
did you submit this to the guys at gbax ?

yes i did submit it, if you look at the gbax entries Here:

http://gbax.gp2x.de/gbax2007.html#TheEntries

it is the 4th one down from the top.

yoshinatsu
July 10th, 2007, 18:44
Awesome idea, I was always jealous of the DS's Jump Ultimate Stars;)
I hope there are updates to the game, evolving it and making it as big as Jump Ultimate Stars.
Nice name btw, you can also evolve it by putting in some game characters from other 2D GBA/DS sprites, like Sonic etc.

PS: Don't forget to put Death Note characters!! :)

RDToT
July 10th, 2007, 18:47
cool man
keep it up

titch.ryan
July 10th, 2007, 18:49
looks great

Sp3ct0r
July 10th, 2007, 19:14
Awesome idea, I was always jealous of the DS's Jump Ultimate Stars;)
I hope there are updates to the game, evolving it and making it as big as Jump Ultimate Stars.
Nice name btw, you can also evolve it by putting in some game characters from other 2D GBA/DS sprites, like Sonic etc.

PS: Don't forget to put Death Note characters!! :)

Haha lol, i love Death Note, i jus finished reading the series last week. currently there are no games that have characters from death note that you can fight as, but in JUS you can call on the powers of a few DN characters, and i did add an item where Ryuk flys overhead and drops a death note, and when u pick it up, the enemy dies :)

ps: Kira FTW!!

emuking
July 10th, 2007, 19:19
must try this game, also cool death note weapon

zeritooverride
July 10th, 2007, 20:31
Game is pretty good, keep the good work. I'm actually looking forward for future updates and more features.

DarthPaul
July 10th, 2007, 20:44
Omg!! Nice one man! Very nice one! Damn I really need my PSP working!

yoshinatsu
July 10th, 2007, 21:44
I played a little (it's REALLY addictive IMO, and that's good :))
It's a really good clone of Jump Ultimate Stars, and it can be better, since it's homebrew (meaning it's an ever evolving game) and can have ANYTHING from Jump Superstars AND Jump Ultimate Stars AND from other games too, as I suggested in my previous message;)
You should make Ad-Hoc multiplayer, this kind of multiplayer you have is kinda annoying.
I really like the game. NICE work dudes, don't leave it like that, this game can become a legend of the PSP.

Sp3ct0r
July 10th, 2007, 22:23
I played a little (it's REALLY addictive IMO, and that's good :))
It's a really good clone of Jump Ultimate Stars, and it can be better, since it's homebrew (meaning it's an ever evolving game) and can have ANYTHING from Jump Superstars AND Jump Ultimate Stars AND from other games too, as I suggested in my previous message;)
You should make Ad-Hoc multiplayer, this kind of multiplayer you have is kinda annoying.
I really like the game. NICE work dudes, don't leave it like that, this game can become a legend of the PSP.

Wow lol, thx for the positive feedback! This is actually the first thing I've ever coded lol. I originally started making it just for fun, then i started workin on it more and more. I used to have Inuyasha and FMA characters in the game, but i removed them, but i think when i make an update for this game, i'll prolly add a bunch of chars from the naruto ninja council games, and more. Oh and i really want to add an Ad-Hoc mode, but i have tried and am absolutley clueless on programming Ad-Hoc lua, so if anybody can work with me on that please contact me, cuz ive been doin all this coding solo.

(BTW in the next update you can expect at least 5 more characters including Kyubi Naruto)

carlitx
July 10th, 2007, 22:28
omg i love it man its totaly awsom i hope you win :D

Sp3ct0r
July 10th, 2007, 22:54
Ok heres an idea. Why don't people post characters from Jump Ultimate Stars, Jump Superstars, Naruto Games, and other Anime Videogames that they would like to see in the game?

Here are some chars i am currently adding

- Kyuubi Naruto

- Inuyasha....maybe

- Kurama (YuYu Hakusho)

- Gintoki (Gintama)

- Majin Buu (DBZ)

- Eve (Black Cat)

and more....

BTW im debating whether to add Yugi from YuGi-Oh into the game. In my opinion yugi-oh is stupid and i don't think it should be considered anime, however he is a playable character in JUS, so if u guys could help me decide it would be good.

MonkeyBoy1916
July 10th, 2007, 22:56
yay, Finally ya released it ^_^

You forgot to give me the beta ><

wolfpack
July 10th, 2007, 23:35
just for the hell of it, add solid snake, that would be awesome :p

.:}<3\/!}\{:.
July 10th, 2007, 23:41
Hi guys, I've been off the scene for quite a bit, but now I'm back and ready for more Homebrew :) .

anyways Awesome release and a fantastic game, I'll hope you'll keep upgrading it!!! :) thx again! :)

DarthPaul
July 10th, 2007, 23:45
I tried to copy it and I'm getting an error. It says the file is corrupted. I'll download it again...
Edited:Oh nevermind,I didn't notice that I didn't even finished downloading it..lol

And about adding characters..
How about Link? Or Sora? :p

parkermauney
July 11th, 2007, 00:03
Snake would be awesome, you should add some characters besides just anime. Gets kind of old.

Kvonx
July 11th, 2007, 00:10
this definately is the BEST............keep working on it, reminds me of smashgp. If you get adhoc working the judges would forget about the competition and you'll win by default lmao!!! nice this will definately have a future espeacially if u can 3+ characters fighting, TOTAL MAYHEM!!!!! YES MAN!!

Sp3ct0r
July 11th, 2007, 00:10
Snake would be awesome, you should add some characters besides just anime. Gets kind of old.

Haha lol, the whole game is based off anime, but i do agree more characters from other stuff would be fun.....maybe if i released another version of it that just had random-ass characters lol

DarthPaul
July 11th, 2007, 00:19
Oh yes baby add Darth Maul!!

Haha sorry,I'm over excited... I was playing it right now and I was gonna make a critic but tried with another character and splash! You shut my mouth without even saying it. I thought every character had a Shuriken. Man the game is very pulished! You made an excellent job here. I hope to see future releases.

Sp3ct0r
July 11th, 2007, 00:31
Oh yea and i know the throwing weapons jus kinda appear in front of them, but i didn't have enough time to add a throwing animation for the characters. i kinda got lazy like a week before the competition deadline, and didnt have time to add alot of features i wanted to, and also i know that Train from black cat, throws a shuriken, when he should really be shootin a bullet, and allen walker from d gray man throws a shuriken when he shouldnt be

ish420ism
July 11th, 2007, 01:25
Omg!! Nice one man! Very nice one! Damn I really need my PSP working!

Same here. read the sig,:(

bobkarns
July 11th, 2007, 02:33
It'd be schweet to see Guts (Berserk) on there (although he isn't a jump character) .....But still ^_~

Mew
July 11th, 2007, 02:58
Sp3ct0r, this is GREAT homebrew!!
I hope you'll win! I really enjoyed playing it :)
Also best homebrew animations I've seen so far, great talent!

I would like to see:

- Edward Elric (Fullmetal Alchemist)
- Alphonse Elric (Fullmetal Alchemist)

and yeah.. Snake will be bad ass... Also Vegetaor even Vegetto!

Thank you for sharing with us that game! It's really great! x)

Greetings from Germany!

RikkyC
July 11th, 2007, 03:43
Wow man. This makes all other homebrew (bar emulators) look kinda shitty. Great stuff.
Some Hunter x Hunter characters would be great. They're in the Jump DS games. Killua kicks ass!
Oh and I think you should increase the amount of damage that all the characters do. Or at least make an option. Rounds take a little long.
Great work tho!

_LOONG_
July 11th, 2007, 05:42
i've save the file in psp/game but i still cant play the game. what do i need to play those emulation games? can someone pls give me an answer? pls reply to [email protected].
thanks!

parkermauney
July 11th, 2007, 05:46
No one is going to ****ING email you. If you're going to come to a forum to ask a question, don't be too lazy to check it. I can definitely confirm that you don't have a compatible firmware.

DarthPaul
July 11th, 2007, 07:05
Lol agree with Parker.

_LOONG_
July 11th, 2007, 08:18
i'm new hereand i didnt bookmark this page juz now. tat's y i leave my email but after tat i manage to find this site again. tis is juz my 2nd time here. may i know where can i get the firmware?

Filiph
July 11th, 2007, 13:08
i dont like the hud, its not as fun as i thought it would be... but the other gfx was really nice, errmmmm good work

titch.ryan
July 11th, 2007, 13:31
i hope this wins.

go to evilmana.com fro help with lua everyone there is very friendly.

mcdougall57
July 11th, 2007, 15:23
cool its got luffy in it as i used to watch that show

mfz64
July 11th, 2007, 15:44
cool...i'll try it out

ENG
July 11th, 2007, 16:27
This looks great, it's the sort of game i love to see as a homebrew game, reminds me of smashgpsp : )
I might try to edit some sprites to get characters that i want, hope you don't mind : )

Sp3ct0r
July 12th, 2007, 20:51
This looks great, it's the sort of game i love to see as a homebrew game, reminds me of smashgpsp : )
I might try to edit some sprites to get characters that i want, hope you don't mind : )

i don't mind :P

jus don't re-distribute the editted version without my permission please.

parkermauney
July 12th, 2007, 21:35
I thought they would have more moves, but there's only like 3.

Sp3ct0r
July 13th, 2007, 00:28
I thought they would have more moves, but there's only like 3.

currently there's normal attack, upward attack, downward attack, aerial attack (jumping), ground throwing weapon, and air throwing weapon.

howeva i'm aiming to add a special attack for each character, and an assistance attack, where another character will come in the screen and do their little attack thing. + i'm gonna add like a bunch of items and wuteva else i feel like addin.

PS: Suggestions are welcome.

XVredskysVX
July 13th, 2007, 17:52
wow cool game dude lovin it man. you should make a feature kinda like mugen where you can make new characters yourself or download character packs. TWO THUMBS UP

hatebreeder
July 13th, 2007, 18:29
great this is but you should make the characters be able to cause more damage (that seems to be the general consensus)

ani_mayhem
July 16th, 2007, 00:00
How about coming up with an original name?

Sp3ct0r
July 19th, 2007, 01:26
How about coming up with an original name?

lol it is original i jus came up wit it in my head, and u obviously jus made that account to post that comment cuz you have 1 post and you joined july 2007 lol

ani_mayhem
July 20th, 2007, 10:24
www.ani-mayhem.com

Sp3ct0r
July 20th, 2007, 18:03
www.ani-mayhem.com

Haha, lol wow i honestly didn't know that the name AniMayhem was already taken, hmm maybe i'll come up wit a new one. thx for the info though.

kurofox4444
July 20th, 2007, 20:22
Ah, I'd love to play this but... does it not work on 3.40 OE-A?

"This game cannot be started."
"The data is corrupted."

[Edit:] Ah, never mind... The XMB Theme I was using wasn't allowing homebrew to run...

Nice game, but the animations and walking left and right seemed a bit slow, but it's good so far... I might try to figure out how to code in LUA:D ...

[Edit2:] (After looking at the sorce for pong)... o_O... I can't belive you coded this XD

ICE
July 20th, 2007, 20:29
www.ani-mayhem.com

LMAO thats hilarious. anywho looks good man keep it up. this is a clone of an online game so.. GET TO WORK! j/k

humble
July 21st, 2007, 03:14
the game is great keep it up

Sp3ct0r
August 4th, 2007, 01:25
Ah, I'd love to play this but... does it not work on 3.40 OE-A?

"This game cannot be started."
"The data is corrupted."

[Edit:] Ah, never mind... The XMB Theme I was using wasn't allowing homebrew to run...

Nice game, but the animations and walking left and right seemed a bit slow, but it's good so far... I might try to figure out how to code in LUA:D ...

[Edit2:] (After looking at the sorce for pong)... o_O... I can't belive you coded this XD

lol yea it's actually the first thing i've ever coded. It's actually not as complicated as it looks to learn LUA though. The best way is to look at the sources of other games and see how they work.

EDIT: going to release AniMayhem v2 soon (30 characters so far) X3

OvercastkidXX
August 27th, 2007, 00:22
I've never been a big fan of homebrew games but I must say this is rather well done. Congratulations on creating such a widley (from the 5 topic pages I've scanned) well recieved game; I myself am extremly impressed with this release, and it's especially interesting for me because I've always thought "DAMN that looks like fun" whenever I saw screens/videos for Jump! Superstars/Jump! Ultimate Superstars. Very nicley animated too! True to the series, colorful, and in a very simplistic way fun and enjoyable. However if you add specials and a few more sttacks as well as new characters in the next release you'll have something here that is really golden; incomparable to other homebrew and more properley compared to "actual" games. Very good work!:D

Also to mention, if you add characters from other anime series you'll have you're hands on something that J!S/J!US will never have, because you'll be branching outside to series by other companies and such.

Oh, and, whoever said add Snake earlier...that would be hilarious. If Snake were properly translated in, even if just as a joke, that would be a huge plus. At least for me. I'm a massive MGS fanboy..

sasukedemon9
November 2nd, 2007, 03:52
how to start it it hard:rofl::confused:

EMLEY
December 16th, 2007, 19:42
how do i put it on my psp what file and what is the name of the file can you email me at [email protected]

EMLEY
December 16th, 2007, 19:43
how do i put it on my psp what file and what is the name of the file can you email me at [email protected]:(

Hood_Jr
January 3rd, 2008, 09:05
Ok heres an idea. Why don't people post characters from Jump Ultimate Stars, Jump Superstars, Naruto Games, and other Anime Videogames that they would like to see in the game?

Here are some chars i am currently adding

- Kyuubi Naruto

- Inuyasha....maybe

- Kurama (YuYu Hakusho)

- Gintoki (Gintama)

- Majin Buu (DBZ)

- Eve (Black Cat)

and more....

BTW im debating whether to add Yugi from YuGi-Oh into the game. In my opinion yugi-oh is stupid and i don't think it should be considered anime, however he is a playable character in JUS, so if u guys could help me decide it would be good.

I don't think you should put Yu-Gi-Oh in the game either. He's not the fighting type and I didn't really use him in JUS.

Characters:
-Inuyasha (demon form to if possible)
-CS2 Sasuke
-Hiei
-Genkai
-Sensui
-Itachi
-Yoruichi
-Grimmjow
-Hollow Ichigo
-Killua
-Vegeta

(This is all I'll suggest for tie now b/c I don't want to overwhelm you. Plus I don't know how to code (yet) so I can't help you.)

That's all I can think of for rite now. Would it be possible for you to add to more players so it can be four players like JUS? Thanks in advance.