PDA

View Full Version : need help choosing UNIX distribution

kyyubidx
July 10th, 2007, 18:33
hey there fellas,

i was thinking (and still am) of installing an UNIX OS on my desktop PC, but i dunno which distribution to choose... i would like something that would be easy to use, developer friendly and able to run WINE...

hoping to ear from ya

quzar
July 10th, 2007, 18:47
Do you mean linux? Unix is a completely different beast.

Junixx
July 10th, 2007, 18:50
Id recommend Ubuntu :thumbup:

Oh wait developer friendly... er.. not sure about that but I'm somewhat sure you can download the needed things

VampDude
July 10th, 2007, 18:51
hey there fellas,

i was thinking (and still am) of installing an UNIX OS on my desktop PC, but i dunno which distribution to choose... i would like something that would be easy to use, developer friendly and able to run WINE...

hoping to ear from ya

UNIX 03 maybe?

Goto http://www.unix.org/ if your stuck for deciding, theres quite a bit to read :)

Man
July 10th, 2007, 18:56
Im using the newest ubunty 7.04 fiesty fawn, and its been my favorite yet, this is the third time iv switched from windows, and this seems to be the best one.

kyyubidx
July 10th, 2007, 18:58
OMG!! i didn'y mean UNIX... its was linux... damn that voice to text!

Man
July 10th, 2007, 19:05
7.o4 ubuntu, its the easiest, and works the best Imo.

and its linux

ExcruciationX
July 10th, 2007, 19:28
You could use SuSE 10.2, that's pretty easy to use.

Just pick one that works good for you and stick with it.

parkermauney
July 10th, 2007, 19:38
If you are looking into development, any distribution is good, but I recommend ubuntu.
If you are looking to multimedia development and mastering, I recommend elive.

kyyubidx
July 10th, 2007, 19:45
thanks dudes :D i'm dling ubuntu

VampDude
July 10th, 2007, 20:13
OMG!! i didn'y mean UNIX... its was linux... damn that voice to text!

lol, UNIX...

...Anyway, Ubuntu is probably the best Linux OS. If you goto the Free Stuff thread there is a link where you can get FREE Ubuntu cd's :)

Man
July 10th, 2007, 20:25
OH YA !! thats where i got my linux CDs, i forgot to mention it, they came in like 2 weeks, i was surprised.

VampDude
July 10th, 2007, 20:51
OH YA !! thats where i got my linux CDs, i forgot to mention it, they came in like 2 weeks, i was surprised.

I forgot that I ordered mine, and I wokeup a few weeks ago and there they were siting on the doormat... They sent me 3 FREE discs! :D

kyyubidx
July 10th, 2007, 21:29
omg.... i downloaded ubunto 7.02 from their site...

Man
July 10th, 2007, 21:36
yoy shuld have downoaded 7.04 as it is the newest.

kyyubidx
July 10th, 2007, 22:00
yep i do... though its only 700mb large

VampDude
July 10th, 2007, 22:10
yep i do... though its only 700mb large

lol, go and download the newer one... It should only take roughly 20/30 mins :)

kyyubidx
July 10th, 2007, 22:39
i already got 7.04 and have it installed... but it doesnt play mp3 format :S and i can't re-size the desktop to 1200x1024... any ideas?

Triv1um
July 10th, 2007, 22:50
i already got 7.04 and have it installed... but it doesnt play mp3 format :S and i can't re-size the desktop to 1200x1024... any ideas?

You need to install the codec pack. This can be simply be obtained from the add/remove tab in applications.

For screen res you can change it under the system then administration tab. Look for it.

kyyubidx
July 10th, 2007, 23:30
uuuhh... yeah about the codec pack? where is it exactly i can't find it in the sound & video part... and most of the appz it says it can't install them... as for the resolution ubunto doesn't allow me to go any farther than 1024x768

parkermauney
July 10th, 2007, 23:58
If you have nvidia graphics, install the drivers with envy. (google)
I think you can change the res with the nvidia-config app.

kyyubidx
July 11th, 2007, 00:05
i thought of that... but i have to install them as a root and it won't allow me tp login as one claiming i can't do it on that screen

parkermauney
July 11th, 2007, 00:52
I mean the ones in the repositories via synaptic.

You need to add the universe and multiverse repositories.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Ubuntu

That'll work on 7.04

And if you get wine, make sure to get it from their site, not the repositories, it's an old build.
http://www.winehq.org/site/download-deb

Direct link to deb package.
http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/archive/ubuntu/feisty/wine_0.9.40~winehq0~ubuntu~7.04-1_i386.deb (http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/archive/ubuntu/feisty/wine_0.9.40%7Ewinehq0%7Eubuntu%7E7.04-1_i386.deb)

Definitely don't go with that .run package they have, it once screwed my install to hell. Use the app named "Envy" to install them.
http://www.albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html

kyyubidx
July 11th, 2007, 02:55
panic! a friend of mine gave the OLD display drivers from the repositories and i installed them not knowing they were the OLD ones... now i X doesn't boot up and i dunno the commands to tell it to go get the new drivers from the removable device connected to ti... anyone? plz? its urgent

Junixx
July 11th, 2007, 04:02
Ok (I hate it when X breaks)

you should be able to sometime get back to the CLI (command line input) screen if you dont diagnose the problem etc.

put in your login name and password then type this:

sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf

after that find someplace that shows your video card and if its Nvidia it might look something like this:

Section "Device"
Identifier "nVidia Corporation G71 [GeForce 7300 GS]"
Driver "nvidia"
EndSection

change "nvidia" to "nv" and see if that helps..... oh and about the MP3 thing, Id recommend to install XMMS, thats what I use anyway, its kind of like WinAmp, you can find it via Synaptic, it will install Mp3 things and you might grab some other plugins like wma while your at it

(PS - If its an intel video card try "mesa" or "vesa"...if its ati try "ati")

parkermauney
July 11th, 2007, 04:16
Yeah, that's what happened to me when I tried to run the packages that came from the nvidia site.
When you get it recovered, definitely use envy.

kyyubidx
July 11th, 2007, 12:07
that thing doesn't worked... i just see a blank file... anything else?

parkermauney
July 11th, 2007, 17:53
What thing? The xorg.conf file?

It must've gotten wiped clean somehow.

Try:

cd /etc/X11/
ls

There should be some file that looks like a backup of xorg.conf. (eg. xorg_conf.backup, etc.)
So run:
sudo cp (name of xorg backup file) xorg.conf

That should get it back.