PDA

View Full Version : Cave Story PSP Release Candidate 1

wraggster
July 10th, 2007, 20:44
Ufoz (http://community.livejournal.com/doukutsu/92798.html?mode=reply) has released a new version of his port of Cave Story to the PSP, heres the details for this release:

http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/2073/88634767pg8.png

So it looks like this is going faster than expected. The port is pretty much finished apart from fixing a few bugs in the game's script where it doesn't work well with the wider screen. But it is playable from the beginning to the end, and very fun :D

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

emuking
July 10th, 2007, 20:54
cool finally get to play this game that i have been hearing so much about

DarthPaul
July 10th, 2007, 21:02
A lot of awesome homebrew games lately!!
PSP HOMEBREW SCENE LIVES FOREVER!!

Veskgar
July 10th, 2007, 21:40
YES!!! A shmup!

Nice work...

SpacemanSpiff
July 10th, 2007, 22:14
Holy shit that was fast :p
Veskegar: This isn't a shoot-em-up, its an adventure game with platforming and shooting elements. Sort of like a cross between Zelda and Metroid.

blindfold
July 10th, 2007, 22:49
Thank you. Now I have at least one good game to play on my PSP.

Goemon4
July 11th, 2007, 00:16
hey theres tons of great brew for the psp, look for Callisto

this games looks great, ty for this one!

wow, this game is amazing! thanks alot!

bobkarns
July 11th, 2007, 00:24
Hooray! I actually just finished this game on PC a few weeks ago, and I thought "wow this would be great on psp" and lo and behold....IT'S HERE!!!

Downloading......NOW

nofx_sk8
July 11th, 2007, 01:53
Great game - realy. Would love to try it on my psp

bobkarns
July 11th, 2007, 02:24
Ok I've played it on psp for a while, and I must say, what i've played so far, it seems really flawless. (Actually, I like the way it plays quite a bit better than on the PC.) At any rate, KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!

titch.ryan
July 11th, 2007, 13:28
yes its finished this game rocks. great work

mcdougall57
July 11th, 2007, 15:22
Holy shit that was fast :p
Veskegar: This isn't a shoot-em-up, its an adventure game with platforming and shooting elements. Sort of like a cross between Zelda and Metroid.

what so does that little thing that you control jump and not fly?

sedkiller
July 11th, 2007, 15:24
Man how I loved the first release ! Now I have the complete game ! This game is one of the best homebrews ! great job keep working hard.

SpacemanSpiff
July 11th, 2007, 16:53
what so does that little thing that you control jump and not fly?

Well technically you DO get the ability to fly later in the game. :cool: But the action mainly focuses on jumping & shooting like you would see in a Metroid game, while exploring dungeons and a few villages looking for items that allow you to reach new areas and progress the story.

Exophase
July 11th, 2007, 17:10
Excellent port.. runs great so far. Amazed at how quickly this was done (under two weeks), this time PSP homebrew has really put DS homebrew to shame.

Too bad this game wasn't really designed for PSP's screen + resolution, so things are pretty small and the ghosting is a little bad sometimes (fortunately not all the time), but that can't really be helped.

I wonder if this is the first complete Cave Story port?

devmas
July 12th, 2007, 04:38
Wow... could this be a great port to the most perfect game out there?

I mean, sure its not necessarily the greatest game ever, but, as somebody said online somewhere, I do believe it is the most perfect game ever. I mean, there is literally nothing wrong with it. When I get a PSP again I will be sure to try this and keep it on it.

parkermauney
July 12th, 2007, 04:42
This is a very great game. Has rpg elements in a platformer.

kiore
July 12th, 2007, 10:21
haven't tried it out yet but the screen shot reminds me of R-TYPE

dark heart
July 13th, 2007, 00:51
well try it out then. it's pretty good until you get up the fighting the mining machine, and then it's tediously difficult!:mad: does anyone know the best way to avoid those little green ghosts that fly around?

parkermauney
July 13th, 2007, 02:45
I just kept jumping up and down and trying to shoot them. I'm at the place where you have to get the something 00.

I died, and will resume later.

PeterM
July 13th, 2007, 07:09
does anyone know the best way to avoid those little green ghosts that fly around?
I think they're fish, which will be explained a little when the boss dies.

I found Blade level 3 a good weapon against this boss. The fish home in on you, so you can't just sit still at the boss and fire.

One tactic that works is to fire the blade at the centre of him when he opens, then run away to the side shooting the blades towards the fish chasing you (which should be mostly sideways and easier to hit).

Good luck. I also found this boss very hard!

blindfold
July 13th, 2007, 20:14
I don't think we should focus on the game itself here, but on game as a port. There are many web pages where you can find all info, walkthrough, secrets etc already. Remember that this one has already a couple of years. Try this site for game info itself: http://www.miraigamer.net/cavestory/

As for port: It is amazing, I hate screen ghosting - why those PSP has such a bad screen refresh?

I wonder what the 'silent makers of official port' will do - as for me, I don't give a shit, as they wanted to change music and gfx to something 'more up to date' (- that in my opinion is equal to destroying one of the best games). They are making that port one year already, while you did it in about a month!

sedkiller
July 14th, 2007, 05:55
Man this is the best homebrew i've ever seen !! im curently at the final cave :) Im addicted to this game ! (Is there a cave story 2 ?)

PeterM
July 14th, 2007, 08:25
There's not a Cave Story 2. The author (a Japanese guy called Pixel) swore never to work on a project of such size again!

He is now working on a vertical shoot em up called Guxt.

Cloud_35
July 15th, 2007, 00:51
This game is kickass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sedkiller
July 15th, 2007, 07:08
Oh ow sad :( it could have been great :) )

SpacemanSpiff
July 16th, 2007, 22:33
Just a heads up, this has randomly crashed on me twice now in Sacred Grounds, very frustrating.

tuddy
December 30th, 2007, 18:05
I liked this on the PC, and supposedly, it's even more fun on PSP. Downloading it now to find out.

#1 Gamemaster
April 22nd, 2008, 23:41
I love this game on computer hope it's just as good on the PSP downloading it now.

staticshade
April 23rd, 2008, 00:49
pretty sweet works on the psp slim 3.90m33

MercifulDark
May 25th, 2008, 03:37
i love the game, but i cant weaken the mineing boss, not one bit. i tried absolutly everything, is it a glitch?