PDA

View Full Version : New slimmer PSP revealed with video

bandit
July 11th, 2007, 23:20
Sony have announced that a new PlayStation Portable, dubbed the PSP Slim & Lite, will launch in Europe (plus the US and Japan) in September.

The new PSP will be come in several designs. Piano black, Ice Silver, Felicia Blue, Lavender Purple, Rose Pink and a special pure white version with a picture of Darth Vader on the back. They will be released in bundles. One with a 1GB memory stick and Daxter and the other with the Family Guy "Freakin' Sweet" UMD. The Darth Vader design will be released in a bundle with Star Wars Battlefront. Each pack will cost $199.

The video-out port means the new PSP will allow users to experience UMD video, pictures and movies from Memory Stick Duo and game software titles on their TVs at home. It’s also equipped with an enhanced feature to temporarily store game data from UMDs, reducing load time during game play; plus the ability to charge the unit through a PlayStation 3 or PC via USB cable during data transfer.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa112/dcemureviews/PianoBlack_f1.jpg (http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa112/dcemureviews/PianoBlack_f.jpg)
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa112/dcemureviews/PianoBlack_b1.jpg (http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa112/dcemureviews/PianoBlack_b.jpg)
Specs:

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa112/dcemureviews/PSPSPEC1.jpg (http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa112/dcemureviews/PSPSPEC.jpg)
Codec:

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa112/dcemureviews/PSPCODEC1.jpg (http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa112/dcemureviews/PSPCODEC.jpg)
Peripherials:

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa112/dcemureviews/PSPPERIPHERALS1.jpg (http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa112/dcemureviews/PSPPERIPHERALS.jpg)

Here is a video of it in action and a link to download (http://www.photocritic.org/t3/t3-psp-slim-and-lite.mov) the hi-res version:

http://www.youtube.com/v/Hn_ku9nmA8U

More hands-on pictures can be found at T3 (http://www.t3.co.uk/news/247/games/psp/psp-2-thin-and-lite).

Triv1um
July 11th, 2007, 23:25
Looks wiered.

What's the point of those shitty screens if there is no side view.

just looks wider to me, maybe because its less tall.

I can't watch the video as I am on the phone. I just saw screens.

cataphrax
July 11th, 2007, 23:36
That looks dumb, no more fun universal remote software, and possibly unhackable.

acn010
July 11th, 2007, 23:41
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I Saw It!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It Looks Great
DID IT SHOW THE FW 3.60????????????????

mcdougall57
July 12th, 2007, 00:04
yeah it showed firmware 3.60 but its got a video output and i want one imagine playing your homebrew in full screen once firmware 3.60 is cracked of course and wouldnt the video out look crap and squashed on a 4:3 screen as the psp is 16:9 and games do not have an option for 4:3

turnerl
July 12th, 2007, 00:21
time to own a psp aswell as my faithfull ds, man tvout sweet azz!

acn010
July 12th, 2007, 00:36
i have tv's that is 4:3 that have features of turning 4:3 ratio to 16:9

winxp64
July 12th, 2007, 00:59
did i read it right? 64mb of onboard memory?

acn010
July 12th, 2007, 01:25
yes.... 2 times the size

Sousanator
July 12th, 2007, 01:37
The new PSP will be come in several designs. Piano black, Ice Silver, Felicia Blue, Lavender Purple, Rose Pink and a special pure white version with a picture of Darth Vader on the front. They will be released in bundles. One with a 1GB memory stick and Daxter and the other with the Family Guy "Freakin' Sweet" UMD. The Darth Vader design will be released in a bundle with Star Wars Battlefront. Each pack will cost $199.

darthy is actually on the back, where the battery cover is

steve520
July 12th, 2007, 01:39
The new one looks just like the old one. Basically its lighter which and I dont care im sticking with my hacked PSP

nielsss
July 12th, 2007, 02:18
where is the second analog?

maxipower90
July 12th, 2007, 02:27
pile of ****

Napalm-Death
July 12th, 2007, 02:33
This is great. :D

DarthPaul
July 12th, 2007, 02:34
Oh yeah!! Sony rules!! PSP 3.60...hm..that Video Input is on 3.60..if we can put that firmware on our PSP's when it comes out there won't be any need to buy the new one.[Excluding the slimmer style] I hope Sony doesn't forget about us.[Original PSP users]..
USB Power Supply!! :eek:

where is the second analog?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4knlzBx53o&mode=related&search= it is. ;)

Sterist
July 12th, 2007, 02:38
that video didnt say a thing about it having twice the NAND flash mem. 64mb. original has 32mb. well, all storage devices have less than they're labeled to have. original has more like 28, and slim version prolly has somewhere around 54mb

fatcat04912
July 12th, 2007, 02:40
NO ONE ELSE READS THAT ITS USING STRAIGHT AVIS ANd GIFs WOO HOO

kcajblue
July 12th, 2007, 02:45
psp lite.
ds lite.

this is jsut sony copying nintendo some more.
and my old psp is fine.
there is no need for another one.

DarthPaul
July 12th, 2007, 02:47
psp lite.
ds lite.

this is jsut sony copying nintendo some more.
and my old psp is fine.
there is no need for another one.

Dude,haven't you noticed that Sony always release a Lite version of their consoles? Like with the PS1 and PS2..now PSP..next PS3. ;)

Sterist
July 12th, 2007, 02:49
and it's not 33% lighter.

its 27.3% lighter

fpcreator2000
July 12th, 2007, 03:03
The only saving grace this psp has is the 64MB of built-in flash memory for bigger and better firmwares, OE and IE specially, and the TV out. IR Sensor was never a big part of my life. I'm going to wait until it is hacked properly, or continue on enjoying my system.

TV OUT is the only reason I would buy this PSP, but Sony should release a TV out usb adapter for the current model so all of us who own a PSP aren't assed out. Mine works perfectly fine with 3.40 OE, and kicks every other PSP's ass on the block. With a memory card loaded with every King of Fighters for the Neogeo, and Street Fighter for CPS-I and CPS-II, not to mention the other systems loaded on the card (it's 4gb), this new PSP does not compare, that is unless it is hacked, and ready to display SvC Chaos: SNK vs Capcom on my TV, then I will probably buy it, but until then I'm sticking to my good old 3.40 OE PSP.

WARNING: because the current PSP models only contain 32MB of falsh memory, it is possible Sony might force us to upgrade to the new system through the use of a larger firmware upgrade than what the current PSP can handle. It might be a shot in the foot for them, but I will be a way to get people to move to "non-hackable" (hehehe, so was the Dreamcast) systems.

NOTE: NJ needs to do emulation for CPS-III on the PSP since it has been decrypted already. It's just a suggestion :D ;).

Xcliber
July 12th, 2007, 03:06
an extra 64mb of memory is just asking to be hacked...

But WAIT! Will the older firmware versions SUPPORT the PSP Lite's hardware?

That may be the end of PSP hacking altogether if the new PSP doesn't support older, homebrew friendly firmwares!

benny blanco
July 12th, 2007, 03:27
The connection fit the screen perfectly, you still have all the same functions, the games look blah. socom looked hot. Wheres metal gear 20th anniversery edition collection for the US? Metal gear 4 looks even better now. Hot... The connection to the tv is well needed, but a wireless connection to a tv would have been a better introduction. HDMI would have been a good option. I wouldnt be surprised if by the holiday season, sony would sell a psp and ps3 in some sort of bundle. I would definetly dish out the cash for a ps3 and a 2nd psp... Sony pee'd on the microsoft presentation, and the wii got wee'd on. Sony recievved the crowd of retarded presswith cheers when Hideo Kojima asked them what they thought of the new MGS4, cheers all around. Jerry from wii was talkin like a robot. the reps for microsoft seemed nervous, although the halo3 xbox360 system looked hot. i'm a get me one of those. If I can use the ps3 80gb like my psp 1.0 then im sold. bundle a 60gb ps3 with the old series psp, i would bite my nails to figure which way to go.

Uberman
July 12th, 2007, 03:36
Where's the hard drive?

Twice the memory simply isn't enough to cause me to even consider one of these. Mine works fine, and all I use it for is music and movies. Every PSP firmware supports music, and homebrew gives me full-screen movies.

It might be good for people who don't already have a PSP, but without something drastic (like a hard drive), it's actually very little to get excited about (no pun intended).

CaptainMorgan4
July 12th, 2007, 03:48
Would this double memory effect emulation ability by any drastic improvements?

jamotto
July 12th, 2007, 03:49
The 64MB's of ram will keep the game developers happy, should allow better graphics and help with loading times. The UMD door looks very cheap. The TV out not an important feature for me. The AVI feature is useless with it using mjpeg for the video.

Not going to be a day one purchase for me.

burrito
July 12th, 2007, 03:51
I will only consider buying it if:
battery lasts at least length of ds fat's battery
hackable
doesn't have that horrible finish the fat psps faceplate has (collects fingerprints and shit)
doesn't get hot when using wifi (the fat psp's manual says it can burn you o_O)

Man
July 12th, 2007, 04:09
First of all holy shit at the 48 people viewing, and the only way ill consider this over a DS lite would be if it was hacked, until then count me out !

pt9087
July 12th, 2007, 04:14
Kinda gay if theres no 2nd analog! they just want more money... greedy! like said ^^ up there somewere... My old PSP is fine!

Sterist
July 12th, 2007, 04:24
an extra 64mb of memory is just asking to be hacked...

But WAIT! Will the older firmware versions SUPPORT the PSP Lite's hardware?

That may be the end of PSP hacking altogether if the new PSP doesn't support older, homebrew friendly firmwares!

not an EXTRA. its only twice the original model, not tripple

the psp must have a hardware solution to play its games, otherwise it'd be emulating its' past games which requires a larger CPU than original -- aka software solution. so anyway, the hardware is different (smaller), but ultimately accomplishes the same processing. this means all firmwares supported. and in theory, 1.00 too even tho there wasnt an update eboot for it.

even if it didn't support older firmwares, the newer firmwares decend from older ones -- therefor have the same files and operate the same way -- therefor still launch "eboot.pbp"'s and only need 2 b hacked to do so

porchemasi
July 12th, 2007, 04:29
must be hacked for me to even think of buying, enough said! TEAM NOOBZ! IF YOU FIND ANOTHER EXPLOIT FOR 3.51 WAIT TILL 3.60 IS RELEASE, I WISH U HAD UNSTEAD OF THE 3.50 DOWNGRADER :(

I assume the new psp model must have a firmware above 3.60 so .... 3.60 fw plz be decrypted and maybe DaX will make his return under an different name??

xg917
July 12th, 2007, 04:36
DaX will make his return under an different name??

OMG you dont know how many times i have said that...

parkermauney
July 12th, 2007, 04:38
The dude before me made a good point. What if firmwares like 1.5 - 3.4 aren't supported?
Wouldn't we be screwed to hell?

ICE
July 12th, 2007, 04:41
The dude before me made a good point. What if firmwares like 1.5 - 3.4 aren't supported?
Wouldn't we be screwed to hell?

i dont think so. if they can make a downgrader for higher firmwares id say they could make an OE installer for them too. its just easier to code it the way we do now. down then up.

xg917
July 12th, 2007, 04:42
definately unless there is a way to run homebrew straight from 3.60 with no exploit but possibly with a new format of homebrew or differently encoded eboot. like... how does sony make their eboots work and we cant make our own eboots work? there has to be another way to encode the eboot to make it work with out using an exploit

@the ice man: the OE firmware installer straight from a firmware other than 1.50 wouldnt work because there would need to be a 1.50 subset and if the previous firmwares arent supported, that means no OE or homebrew..

YourStillWithMe
July 12th, 2007, 04:45
I was actually planning on buying a second psp in the near future. . so this works out for me. I already have a 3.40 OE one obviously so i'm going to wait for this new slim psp to be hacked and in the meantime, enjoy my 3.40 oe :-)

parkermauney
July 12th, 2007, 04:45
Maybe someone could create the next KXploit. 0_o

Meh, I doubt it.

Nocuddle
July 12th, 2007, 05:03
ZOMG I just pooped my pant... analogue AV? That is soo cheap.

Chameleon
July 12th, 2007, 05:08
I bet analog video output is overated just like remote play... itll probably restrict the features so that nothing can be done useful with it if it were to be hacked

hungle0
July 12th, 2007, 05:18
Does anyone else notice how flimsy the new UMD loading bay is now? We have to manually pry "pop" it now instead of the spring-loaded eject mechanism.

I was hoping for a redesigned d-pad personally.

CaptainMorgan4
July 12th, 2007, 05:20
How exactly does it work?

edit: regarding to chameleon

acn010
July 12th, 2007, 05:23
Does anyone else notice how flimsy the new UMD loading bay is now? We have to manually pry "pop" it now instead of the spring-loaded eject mechanism.

I was hoping for a redesigned d-pad personally.

and where did you came from???
lol

Emeriastone
July 12th, 2007, 05:26
Lighter and slimmer? Looks easier to break!

BTW: To quell some of the downgrading speculations I would propose that Sony would be smart enough to develop a brand new type of XMB that doesn't run on the first gen PSP firmware. Any type of downgrading to 1.00 or 1.50 would simply not be possible because of incompatibility.

jvabbdac
July 12th, 2007, 05:29
More memory will be great !!!! Finally Daedalus will can work at full speed !

mike_jmg
July 12th, 2007, 05:51
jvabbdac yeah!, with more memory daedalus might work full speed

Four things:

1.Tv out sounds freaking great, but with no homebrew, no way it's worth it.
On a second thought why would you want to go back from handheld to home console, kind of not so great if you really think about it, it's just because it's new.

2.I have a theory wich I came up with, when the Lumines exploit happened:

I think that Noobz team has a lot of other exploits from other games and that they are using them as the time comes. I'm sure this new firmware will be hacked, but please Noobz team wait a little bit

3.We are really going to need a new OE
Any takers?

4. Looks a lot slimer, now mine looks like a monster ;_;, :( , but the umd door looks very crappy

bah
July 12th, 2007, 05:51
Double the system RAM, WTF?

So is the system going to be using this for caching to reduce load times, or are games actually going to make use of it (some additional features if the newer model is detected), leading to games that look better on the PSP lite?

I really didn't think sony would segment the market like that, I guess time will tell.

EDIT: Did they finally start using screens with a reasonable response time?

SnesR0X
July 12th, 2007, 05:57
I'll get it right when it comes out in hopes of homebrew

and the fact it comes with video out is very pleasing :D

dragaron
July 12th, 2007, 06:01
1) I thought Sony denied any inner workings on a new version of the PSP just a few months ago.

2) IMHO, TV-OUT capabilities < Homebrew capabilities. This new PSP will have new firmwares that prevent homebrew. Unfortunately, without DarkAlex around, we may not see another custom firmware to combat the dictatorship of Sony and their lacking firmware features. If Sony had half of a brain, they would implement some of the changes that have been implemented through homebrew. The ability to read text files, play videos that are not MP4's and run simple unsigned code are just a few things many fans would enjoy. If they would just accept that people love to be creative, they could harness that and create a device that allows the users to create their own programs under a structure that Sony approves of. Unfortunately the dark side of homebrew will prevent any of this from becoming reality. Piracy hurts even the people who avoid it.

mike_jmg
July 12th, 2007, 06:06
OMG!, I'm feeling kind of left out already

mike_jmg
July 12th, 2007, 06:17
F*ck you $ony, Hahahahhaha! and you're never going to sell the older ones in stock ahhahahahahahhaha!

Chameleon
July 12th, 2007, 06:20
How exactly does it work?

edit: regarding to chameleon

You use the av cable to view whats occuring on the psp from your tv such as photos, music, etc...
The only thing that would be useful in this situation would be running homebrew... which doesnt come standard ( sony's going to try and block this feature from getting hacked)
This doesnt include the lack of features and/or speed
( if you recall sony usually half-asses features and
critiques them with firmware updates)

hd_
July 12th, 2007, 06:38
I wonder how the 64mb ram will effect the old psp? Will new games rely on the 64mb ram? Sounds very sad if they do that..

CaptainMorgan4
July 12th, 2007, 06:42
What kind of cable, the av cable? You mean like a av (yellow n red/white) to a usb end? Or are you saying a data cable, the mini usb (that plugs into the psp) that goes to a USB?

edit: how would this help Daedalus and other emulators if/when they hack it, the 64mb memory?

Chameleon
July 12th, 2007, 06:42
Obviously sony will try to get rid of homebrew on the old psp by forcing users to get the new psp by forcing new features in their face... and concentrating on the firmware of the new psp that wont work on the old psp due to low flash space.

EDIT: yes, im speaking of the red,yellow, and white cables.
The reason most emulators for psp now days are slow is because of this low ram space.

heeroyun
July 12th, 2007, 06:50
Mostly the new PSP won't be able to run the old firmware , like 1.5 --> no more homebrew . We will need another custom firmware .

ish420ism
July 12th, 2007, 06:52
A lot of you homebrewers that run emulators of other systems, insult people that run isos, calling them pirates. Well, what the fuk does that make you guys. You people running snes, atari gba, n64, or whatever you have on your psp, are the real pirates. so shut the fuk up. and yeah I run isos, proud of it too. just how you guys don't pay for snes, i don't pay for umds

and the new psp is fuken awesome. I'm getting one fo sho. as far as the umd drive door, remember the walkman. You people don't even know what the hell your complaining about.
Idiots. If you take this personal, GOOD:D
:rofl:

Veskgar
July 12th, 2007, 07:27
When I saw the pictures, I laughed. It reminded me of those cheap Chinese PSP knock off's (Popstation Portable anyone?) that play black & white games from the stone age.

Then I took a look at the video. That was a little better. But I really don't like the cheap looking UMD door that you have to pry open yourself. Also, I'm not thrilled about the speaker holes being moved up towards the top. Those to me look really awkward.

With no improved LCD, no 2nd analog nub, and not too many other new features, this looks like a disappointment.

The best way to put it is to say that the change from Nintendo's DS from phat to Lite was an incredible redesign.

SONY's PSP going from its current form to PSP 1.5 or "slim" is just not as exciting.

I will say that the technical spec changes mainly being the increase of RAM is very appealing to us homebrew junkies hoping for the day when the new PSP may be modded or hacked.

Anyway, this new PSP probably cost SONY less money to manufacture but yet they are still raising the price. The extra UMD and memory stick don't appeal to me too much.

What I'll probably do if I have the extra $$$ on hand is buy a launch PSP Slim so that it has the lowest possible firmware on it and just let it sit in the box for 6 months or so until some headway is made on the homebrew side of things.

SONY has the right idea in mind but I think they fell short of many people's expectations on what a new PSP could be.

Chameleon
July 12th, 2007, 07:49
A lot of you homebrewers that run emulators of other systems, insult people that run isos, calling them pirates. Well, what the fuk does that make you guys. You people running snes, atari gba, n64, or whatever you have on your psp, are the real pirates. so shut the fuk up. and yeah I run isos, proud of it too. just how you guys don't pay for snes, i don't pay for umds

and the new psp is fuken awesome. I'm getting one fo sho. as far as the umd drive door, remember the walkman. You people don't even know what the hell your complaining about.

My friend you are ignorant... people dont insult others for running isos, they arent allowed to talk about them in most sites because of legal reasons, and furthermore people who do say such things are covering their own ass ( fanjita, DAX, Noobz) for their creations that make piracy for others easier

But I do agree with the fact that snes, 64, genesis...
is almost just as bad as UMD piracy, but the fact remains that all of the older systems are no longer continued in production thus not effecting sales, dumping UMDs on the other hand hurts everyone!!!!

Tetris999
July 12th, 2007, 07:52

i forgot it was called

ABANDONWARE

yes use little brain

CaptainMorgan4
July 12th, 2007, 08:00
Chameleon about the av cable it is the y/r/w end to what type of end, the mini usb that plugs into the top of the PSP?

Spotfist
July 12th, 2007, 08:00
I honestly doubt SONY would leave out all the people who own the old PSP regarding the extra bit of memory... surely this will be used for the reduction of load times and not for making better games... Perhaps there will be a patch for the previouse model that allows the use of the emory stick or something? Has any compony done this in the past? Did this happen with the DS?

The loss in sales would just be far too much for SONY to think about! The PSP is struggling at the moment so re-starting basically from scratch with the news of a hand held xbox on it's way surely would be a dumb idea!

Im just glad it doesn't make the old PSP look too bad like the DS light made the original DS look like it was 20 years old! hehehe They look identicall at quick glance! ;)

Chameleon
July 12th, 2007, 08:08
it has one input (to PSP) (same connection of av cables) and three outputs (to TV)

To spotfist: sony has already used basically all space available for their firmwares, with all the new features they are planning to add i seriously doubt that sony will try and squeeze it into a place with minimal room.

yoshinatsu
July 12th, 2007, 08:15
i forgot it was called

ABANDONWARE

yes use little brain

Most of the games you play on emulators are not Abandonware, they have the rights for their games, and they are protected by the ESA.
Like it or not, playing roms on emulators, are the same when playing UMD ripped ISOs.
The only difference is that when playing roms, you don't directly hurt the developers (although there are some exception like e.g. when playing Final Fantasy II on a SNES or a GBA emulator, while there is a PSP remake) while when playing UMD ISOs, you directly hurt Sony and the modern developers.
Both of them is 100% piracy.

ish420ism
July 12th, 2007, 08:39
Most of the games you play on emulators are not Abandonware, they have the rights for their games, and they are protected by the ESA.
Like it or not, playing roms on emulators, are the same when playing UMD ripped ISOs.
The only difference is that when playing roms, you don't directly hurt the developers (although there are some exception like e.g. when playing Final Fantasy II on a SNES or a GBA emulator, while there is a PSP remake) while when playing UMD ISOs, you directly hurt Sony and the modern developers.
Both of them is 100% piracy.

Word. Someone gets it:D

fanpages
July 12th, 2007, 08:41
...If Sony had half of a brain, they would implement some of the changes that have been implemented through homebrew...

If Sony have any clue they would employ DAX.

Maybe they already have...!?!

But yes, the "improved load times" must be the reason that Dark_Alex "left the building".

No touch screen... no new button layout... no built-in camera... but an improved battery life. Whoopy-doodle-doo! :(

The Wi-Fi switch location has moved, the UMD drawer mechanism is less complex (meaning it is less bulky for the overall slim appearance), and the infrared port has been removed.

I'm not so sure a lighter model is a good idea, to be honest. Having a heavier handheld device means you are less likely to forget it is in your hand, and drop it accidentally. And a larger device looks like it costs 200 dollars. The new UMD drive looks a bit fragile to say the least.

I never had a problem with the battery life, and if I did, I would just buy one of the many third-party battery extender products, a secondary battery that I'd keep charged for swapping with the dead one, or sit beside an electrical AC outlet socket & plug in whilst gaming.

And to think Sony wonders why the Nintendo DS is outselling the PSP!?!

Let's hope the touted PSP2 is not far behind.

Furthermore, why, oh why, is the Darth Vadar Silkscreen variant in Ceramic White?

Erm, hello!

He represents the "Dark Side"!?!

If you are looking for a "fatline" PSP for that special someone (or ones) in your life for Christmas, you may well find a bargain surfacing on eBay later in the year.

Just don't let your kids (whatever size they are) know about the new Darth Vadar model... but if they find out, then you can buy stickers for the old "fatline" model. Who's to know?

Personally I'd go for the 'Ice Silver' slimline if I was having any of them.

As for the other colours; Felicia Blue, Lavender Purple, & Rose Pink... urgh!

BFN,

fp.
1upGamers.com Moderator
---
Sony PlayStation, PlayStation One, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 2 Slimline, UK PSP [3.30 OE-A], Japan PSP [3.40], UK PlayStation 3 [1.82]
Nintendo GameCube, GameBoy Advance SP, DS Lite
---
"The lack of spatial and quantitative relations is a weapon of maths destruction" [N.Lee - 2004]

"Old gamers do not die, but their equipment gets smaller & more complicated" [N.Lee - 2006]

Dickhead
July 12th, 2007, 08:58
No IR??? THAT REALY SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think I will stick to my old PSP!:mad:

ish420ism
July 12th, 2007, 09:28
No IR??? THAT REALY SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think I will stick to my old PSP!:mad:

yeah, that sux. but who really needs ir anyway:rolleyes:
Now if there was a way to control the psp using the ps2 remote, that would be cool:thumbup:

Chameleon
July 12th, 2007, 09:31
yeah, that sux. but who really needs ir anyway:rolleyes:
Now if there was a way to control the psp using the ps2 remote, that would be cool:thumbup:

Or the ps3 controller :D

Dickhead
July 12th, 2007, 09:31
Well People Use the IR for that IR keyboard within homebrew!

Chameleon
July 12th, 2007, 09:34
That does suck for the future of dosbox :(

Psyberjock
July 12th, 2007, 09:49
Reading some of these posts, I think we need to examine some things and make some clarifications. Of course none of this is known for certain, but based on what has been said and a basic understanding of English and electronics in general, please consider the following:

It’s also equipped with an enhanced feature to temporarily store game data from UMDs, reducing load time during game play;

This feature probably makes use of the 64Mb of MAIN memory (that means RAM) to help with the caching and swapping of the ISO. Remember the ISO loader that DaX and Mathieula (spelling?) found in 3.50? I'm pretty sure it's for this too. I doubt that the old PSPs will make use of this feature since they are lacking the extra memory.

Specs:

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa112/dcemureviews/PSPSPEC1.jpg (http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa112/dcemureviews/PSPSPEC.jpg)

Ok, first the memory. This is MAIN memory, meaning RAM. This is not flash memory. It makes no mention of flash memory. We can only assume that the flash memory is the same 32 Mb that we have now. Remember the survey that Sony took, asking which features people want and which ones they want to get rid of? I think the firmware will be the same format and size as past firmwares. However, more RAM means the ability to process more information at faster speeds since it doesn't have to be loaded from the UMD or memory stick as often.

Next, the AV Cable. Notice the Main Connectors section. See where it says "video out/headset connector"? That's probably using a "/" because it doubles as both. Separate features to this point and past this point have gotten a separate line. Why would they deviate from that convention now? Think iPod video out cable. It will have an extra band of metal on your mini-stereo jack which will carry the video data. It won't be running through the USB and there's probably not some extra port. At least I couldn't see one. Furthermore you shouldn't have to worry about the aspect ratio of the PSP and your current TV. I'm sure the PSP is capable of displaying the 16:9 image on your 4:3 TV with the black bars at the top and bottom of your screen, preserving the aspect ratio and not squishing it.

Finally, I really don't expect Sony to stop development of the older PSPs. Yes, the new ones have a few more features, but the games will have to run approximately the same on both systems. While you will benefit from faster load times with a new system and maybe longer battery life, they would be shooting themselves in the face to allow new games that would not satisfactorily run on the older systems. While homebrew would be able to take advantage of the extra memory, I doubt that Sony will allow game developers to do the same. It will probably be reserved for the ISO swapping. The new systems will of course have new motherboards with new methods of locking out homebrew, but as someone has already mentioned, it is essentially the same system, running the same firmware. There will probably be a way to downgrade if the right hackers try hard enough. Thus it hardly needs to be said that the old PSPs will of course be able to update to future firmwares.

I hope this answers some questions and sets some people straight. Again, I do not have one of these PSPs and I've never seen one except for this post, but it only takes a little thinking and some remembering of past news to figure out what's going on.

P.S. Sony if full of lying bastards. Only a month or two ago they denied the latest rumors of the new PSP. Of course we all know they were trying to protect their interests, but it's still inexcusable. Lying to your customers is no way to retain them. Anyone who just bought a PSP is probably kicking his or herself for trusting Sony. Indeed, no one should ever trust Sony.

Zin0099
July 12th, 2007, 09:52
what about the iso loader sony has at least it sounds like we can download our umds under offical FW and play for i would say for "30 days*" then the iso doesn't work then we have to delete and redownload

atleast sony gave us that

tv output sounds good to me too

plus i want 2nd psp

*just what i think is

kiore
July 12th, 2007, 10:09
Its a conspiracy!!!!
D_A must have been silenced before this egg hatched

Shyvnal
July 12th, 2007, 10:24
If it gets hacked ill buy one (maybe 2). If not, fak it.

Nocuddle
July 12th, 2007, 10:36
I think PSP just lost the last word: Portable.

I still think WTF the TV out for? Am I gonna carry a 80 cm TV with me on a trip?

And no thanks, I got a PC with TV out, DVD player, VHS, MG-35, whatever that goes to my TV. Playing PSP games on TV? This aint console... it's a fuxxor handheld!

Video_freak
July 12th, 2007, 10:36
I've been waiting for this for a while now. I expected a redesign but meh this will do. :)

Just the 64 MB or RAM alone make it more worth it for the web and less loading times. Only $200 too!!!

hd_
July 12th, 2007, 10:52
P.S. Sony if full of lying bastards. Only a month or two ago they denied the latest rumors of the new PSP. Of course we all know they were trying to protect their interests, but it's still inexcusable. Lying to your customers is no way to retain them. Anyone who just bought a PSP is probably kicking his or herself for trusting Sony. Indeed, no one should ever trust Sony.Well, not if they picked up a copy of lumines as well :P

Hopefully what you said is correct. I will probably try to get one when it comes out- I have wanted a second psp to play multiplayer with.

I think (and this isn't the first time I have said this regarding a 'slim design psp') that a lot of people were expecting too much when they were asking for a second analog stick. We can't really say what the controls feels like from watching the videos- but I am hoping that they fixed the dpad and all it's crappiness.

While the umd slot does look kind of dodgey now- I say good on Sony for having the balls to do all that was possible to shrink the psp.

b8a
July 12th, 2007, 11:36
The black model deffinitely looks like one of the cheap chinese impersonators. Too much like a cheap toy.

If there's any way to run homebrew on this, then I'll deffinitely pick one up. If not, I'll just look for an older PSP when it comes time to test multi-player applications. All of these new features would be nice, but there's no deal breakers here. At the very least I expected several gig of onboard memory. That would've gotten me chomping at the bit to get one, but, meh, oh well.

To everyone saying that Sony "lied" to us about an upcoming PSP overhaul: proove it. There might have been a release that I missed somewhere, but in every article that I've read Sony and it's representatives always said something along the lines of "we can't comment on speculation". It's the news and forums sites like these that interpretted those statements as denial and posted headlines like "Sony Denies PSP Remake". So, if anything, it's the news and forums sites that lied to you. There's plenty of reasons to hate Sony, but I'm afraid this isn't one of them.

Accordion
July 12th, 2007, 11:38
i expect the ram is in two parts, the original 32mb for actual game data like all psps use. and the extra 32mb is used only for streaming off the disc in the background ready to be passed to main ram.

reakt
July 12th, 2007, 12:49
No more infrared! If we can run homebrew on these babies, there'll be no "universal remote" support!

Baboon
July 12th, 2007, 13:04
TV-out is will be nice... Lets just hope the d-pad is improved over the previous crap incarnation.

erix2006
July 12th, 2007, 13:18
finally they revealed it. After denying it 3 times! Though the features dont impress!! :)

penileartery
July 12th, 2007, 13:27
finally they revealed it. After denying it 3 times! Though the features dont impress!! :)

yeah! they were too embarrassed! haha

emuking
July 12th, 2007, 14:45
basically the same, what a waste :(

Lodis
July 12th, 2007, 15:18
Sony had an opportunity to seriously improve the current Psp model but instead they do minor adjustments to it and add a new mediocre firmware. They know where they can stick their new Psp. However, I might consider one after it has been totally hacked wide open.

Accordion
July 12th, 2007, 15:36
too funny.

if a new portable had been unveiled every forum would be full of angry plebs complaining that the console they bought only two years ago is now redundant.

It seems quite clear this will be the only PSP to be produced from now on[the low price suggest this]. It isn't intended as a replacement for current owners but a more finished product for the new customers.

im glad im not being left with useless hardware in my hands and actually have a choice whether i want the revision or not.

Uberman
July 12th, 2007, 15:57
Only $200 too!!!

That's the funniest thing I've read so far! Pay more, get less! :rofl:

burrito
July 12th, 2007, 16:11
Has anyone noticed that the redesigned psp's battery is 1200 mAh, but the old psp's battery is 1800 mAh?

I hope they add a built-in mic, like in both ds versions.

Accordion
July 12th, 2007, 16:17
Has anyone noticed that the redesigned psp's battery is 1200 mAh, but the old psp's battery is 1800 mAh?

just.

i hope this isn't a sly method on declaring that the battery life is unchanged, rather, the new version uses less power so uses a smaller battery for the same amount of time...

burrito
July 12th, 2007, 16:18
Only $200 too!!!
What nintendo did was they made the ds lite the price that the old ds was before the ds lite came out. And they dropped the price of the fat ds.
But Sony is making the psp lite cost MORE than what the old psp cost a few months before releasing the psp lite.

Sony needs to learn from Nintendo about prices of redesigned consoles. The psp lite should cost $170, and the old psp should cost $140.

Sonicboy 101
July 12th, 2007, 16:18
TV- out huh? Sounds great!

burrito
July 12th, 2007, 16:22
I want to just add an extra 32mb (or more) of RAM to my psp lol

DragonPimpsta
July 12th, 2007, 16:26
im mad at all the bad comments about it.. Its proven to be better, even though its not THAT much better..

it'll eventually get hacked for custom firmware, then that'll be awesome

from what i see the befits are its slimmer to fit in my pocket better and lighter
you can play your games/videos to a tv that should be interestiing. u could record you speed running a game or something

straight avis & gifs? whoa, u could put your porn directly on your psp

usb charge- makes things easier
bigger onboard memory-- more possiblities
wifi switch mvoed--- wont accidentally turn it off so much

only thing u really lose is infra red so u cant do universal remotes , and it wont come with ability to use custom firmware as of yet but im sure it'll happen lol, everytime i open psp news i see that a new fw has been cracked, but dunno with dark alex being gone

Accordion
July 12th, 2007, 16:27
What nintendo did was they made the ds lite the price that the old ds was before the ds lite came out. And they dropped the price of the fat ds.
But Sony is making the psp lite cost MORE than what the old psp cost a few months before releasing the psp lite.

Sony needs to learn from Nintendo about prices of redesigned consoles. The psp lite should cost $170, and the old psp should cost $140.

new psp is a bargain!

199$ for bundle. of PSP, Daxter, 1 GB memory stick duo, and Family Guy.

equals a PSP for 134$ with very good extras that people will actually want [better than the awful bundles at launch]

off topic: the original DS should never have gone to market. prototypes are not consumer products.

DragonPimpsta
July 12th, 2007, 16:35
hmm well.. i guess since its a completely new psp they might COMPLETELY rredesign the firmware, lol meaning it wouldnt possibly support 1.5, meaning wouldnt support homebrew :-O .. im a noob i dont know anything about coding

crypysmoker
July 12th, 2007, 16:55
remember kiddies... JUst because DAX "says" hes gone does not mean he is. Name changes, witness protection... think about it?? ;)

And yes, it said 3.6 in the video, but a lot of those things are in Firmware 3.5, just locked away.
The UMD drive looks even more breakable then before, the thing look like if I get mad at TEkken D.R that I could break the whole thing in half with my hands.

And unhackable LOLOLOLOLOLOL, Come on now, as soon as everythign comes out it is always said to be unhackable, but look at every new console in the past 2 years, they are all hacked to shit allready. and this is sony we are talking about, they couldnt keep thier consoles unhackable if they hired DAX himself to write the security

Speediakal
July 12th, 2007, 17:08
hmm, i was thinking of getting a new psp (one i can hack and the other for the most recent FW or something i unno) and this looks alright. I hope the 3.60 FW will have support for those video codecs, 'cause i have been waiting forever to have AVI and MJPEG supported.

g00gy
July 12th, 2007, 17:40
i wont get it unless it has Firmware OE with full PS1 emulation without the playstation store.

parkermauney
July 12th, 2007, 17:57
Anyone who is getting it. Do not upgrade at all, no matter what awesome features come out. It will eventually be H4xXd.

Paho
July 12th, 2007, 18:02
eh... about the design... i think it totally sucks... why didnt they change the freaking directional buttons??? those buttons are really uncomfortable!!! you cant press up+right with those xD .... sony is so boring.. didnt change the design AT ALL... freaking stupid... is it really worth it?

cdc1991
July 12th, 2007, 18:07
I personally think that the new PSP will be good. Maybe I only say this 'cause I just broke my PSP and am looking for a new one... I do believe they're going to try and make it hackproof, but fail miserably and only make it slightly harder (Remember TA-082?). I don't believe Dax will make a comeback under a different name, as he knows we all love him the way he was... he only quit for exams and too many other things in his life and once they clear up, I think he'll return as his good old former self!

mike_jmg
July 12th, 2007, 18:08
Okay, I calmed down from the F*** #$% stuff (LOL)

I saw the sony E3 conference trhough gamespot last night and I noticed something, the video output cable was conected on the Headphones plug, or at least I think so. (unless it has another port somewhere around there)

This could mean that we can have tv-output too, only with the damn FW 3.60 but it may happen

Anyway I still want one!!!!! sh*t!!!!!
It is like half as thick as the original for God's sake

And everyone talking about the D-pad, I think is the same piece of sh*t than before. But I've come up with a solution, the more you wear it out it works better LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!, it's kind of weird but true (at least mine does)

burrito
July 12th, 2007, 19:07
new psp is a bargain!

199$ for bundle. of PSP, Daxter, 1 GB memory stick duo, and Family Guy.

equals a PSP for 134$ with very good extras that people will actually want [better than the awful bundles at launch]

I would only want the psp, I have no need for the other stuff. And why will it come with an old game? Why not a new one, like Wipeout Pulse?

off topic: the original DS should never have gone to market. prototypes are not consumer products.
This is actually the original ds :p
http://pocketmedia.ign.com/pocket/image/article/513/513188/e3-2004-the-nintendo-ds-revealed-200405110429536.jpg

So this is really a redesigned version:
http://www.proporta.com/F03/i/nintendo_ds_silicone_web.jpg

Sketchy
July 12th, 2007, 19:09
y'know i like this idea too, again it's smaller, got a few new features (not amazing but still, has things that the old doesn't).

One thing i don't get is y are ppl are like

'No IR?' No IR? i've never used universal remote and probably never will, i wud have more fun playing PQ Practical Intelligence Quotient 2 while taking a runny S**T while having a chest infection than f*****g about with a stupid 'remote' turning TV's on and off on and off etc etc etc.

The position change of the WLAN switch is a relief , i get p**sed when playing a wi-fi game only to knock the switch with my hand, thus promptly ending one's game :mad:, the extra battery life is gd too when using network games the original doesn't last that long at all.

And secondly how cum that ppl here keep flaming the very company that created this very console, that plays our isos/roms/emulators (Thanx 2 OE) Movies games music and wot not. No sony doesn't like Homebrew and never will. From a business perspective u can see why. Then there's the 'they just want our money', well duh, hate to break it to ya but sony can't do jak wiv out it. business - money = no business.

The 'wheres the hard drive?' Well a hard drive wud suck any battery dry within about an hour and a half so wu be pointless, then there's the fact that sony are, providing the schedule sticks, releasing a chunkier 16GB MS Pro Duo nxt yr, and then in 2009 a 32GB :eek: is supposed to make an appearance. (that almost rivals my very first laptops hard drive:o)

At the end of the day, it doesn't meet every1's expectations, but Sony noticed wot they believe the original lacked and attempted to make it better.

Have they failed, probably not. For every 1 person that says 'its sh*t, not buying it' there are 3 like 'yeah thats cool, i'm gonna get one'

*end of rant* :D

Peace

cataphrax
July 12th, 2007, 19:27
Speculation and yelling aside, the name is probably one of the more creative on the market: Psp Slim & Lite. Absolute genious. I was expecting something like Psp Slim & Lite & And TV-Out & And more memory.

xg917
July 12th, 2007, 19:33
if i make money some more money ill get this once its out. it will be hacked, DAX will make a return once.
i have faith

ish420ism
July 12th, 2007, 19:38
What the hell is daxter??? Did DAX get hired by sony? Is that the reason he left the scene, without any real explanation. If so, good for him. Remember the guy who came up with DJSP? I think he got hired to do the visualizations for the music player. Can anyone elaborate??????

DUH!!! DAXTER the game. Silly me:rofl:

parkermauney
July 12th, 2007, 19:52
Sony is a GIGANTIC dumbass for not expanding the flash. They are going to be 100% screwed after the next couple firmware updates.

Solidsnake3000
July 12th, 2007, 21:21
will some one be able to hack the tv out thing and does this have bluetooth and wat is the point of taking out the infrared i think sony is smoking

Milleniumas
July 13th, 2007, 11:33
need a f*cking tv out on my old PSP! I Don't want to buy a new PSP!

fanpages
July 13th, 2007, 11:39
need a f*cking tv out on my old PSP! I Don't want to buy a new PSP!

You won't want to pay this price for a "PSP2TV" unit:

[ http://www.consolesandgadgets.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/2117?osCsid=03b2c0a34398dabf1bd95080 ]

But check eBay for this criteria, you'll find a few on offer, presently:

(Blaze TV Adaptor, PSP ON TV, PSP2TV, PSP TV ADAPTER)

BFN,

fp.

Safari Al
July 13th, 2007, 13:39
Sorry this will just be dumb. They know that people are gonna hack it and there's nothing they can do about it. Besides who wants a smaller screen anyway?

xcjzerox
July 13th, 2007, 15:45
The new flash0 and 1 is like 64mb they change it..

another bad think is they won't work on the older models cause is hack so right now i emailing sony about this..

tallica
July 13th, 2007, 17:33
It doesnt look any slimmer tho

Mr.Denny
July 13th, 2007, 17:44
Meh

Looks the same :/

Video_freak
July 13th, 2007, 19:25
Besides who wants a smaller screen anyway?

Why the hell does everyone think the screen is smaller?! The only thing they took out was the iR port. Everything else is the same or better.

Oh and they might have expanded the flash but just didn't put it on the spec cheat because the average user wouldn't even know what it's for...

mike_jmg
July 13th, 2007, 20:32
You won't want to pay this price for a "PSP2TV" unit:

[ http://www.consolesandgadgets.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/2117?osCsid=03b2c0a34398dabf1bd95080 ]

But check eBay for this criteria, you'll find a few on offer, presently:

(Blaze TV Adaptor, PSP ON TV, PSP2TV, PSP TV ADAPTER)

BFN,

fp.

How da f*ck does that thing work?, where does it go, is it fake?

Accordion
July 13th, 2007, 21:47
How da f*ck does that thing work?, where does it go, is it fake?

its very real. you need to install a pcb inside the PSP and it adds some extra bulk on the bottom.

other products are simply cameras attached to the screen. not good.

cataphrax
July 13th, 2007, 21:57
Yeah, or use remotejoy. You need a computer but its better then those ugly solutions.

mavsman4457
July 14th, 2007, 02:51
Are any of these "new features" just features that will be added to the next firmware and not the PSP. I heard over on qj I think that USB charging is something that is allowed by the new firmware and I'm really hoping that AV out would also be the firmware and not just the hardware of the new PSP. Man I hope someone can get homebrew going on the new PSP. If that happens then I think I'll get it.

the_eternal_dark
July 14th, 2007, 04:49

People who still use ghetto short hand such as 'fo sho' ought to be shot. Come on, it's 2007 and tupac is dead, get with the times (like start a whiny emo band and start cutting yourself, NOW). You're lame, dude...

This new PSP looks so damn cheap. What I am hoping for is a third party company that makes a usable tv out for the old model (such as video upscaling, among other things). That's the only real reason (tv out) I'd buy the new one (but not at $199 again, Sony will never learn will they...) and only if it ever has the possibility of getting hacked. Well, let's just wait and see what happens.

xg917
July 14th, 2007, 05:24
People who still use ghetto short hand such as 'fo sho' ought to be shot. Come on, it's 2007 and tupac is dead, get with the times (like start a whiny emo band and start cutting yourself, NOW). You're lame, dude...

This new PSP looks so damn cheap. What I am hoping for is a third party company that makes a usable tv out for the old model (such as video upscaling, among other things). That's the only real reason (tv out) I'd buy the new one (but not at $199 again, Sony will never learn will they...) and only if it ever has the possibility of getting hacked. Well, let's just wait and see what happens.

TUPAC AINT DEAD! :eek:

LOL im jus playin. i think he dead.. R.I.P.
but yea jus cuz he talk like dat dont mean u gotta insult the kid aiight. and ur pretty lame if u emo cuz dats some sad shit. no offence, i just dont get it..

but yea other than that the new psp is going to be unhomebrewable. i think that..

the_eternal_dark
July 14th, 2007, 12:42
TUPAC AINT DEAD! :eek:

LOL im jus playin. i think he dead.. R.I.P.
but yea jus cuz he talk like dat dont mean u gotta insult the kid aiight. and ur pretty lame if u emo cuz dats some sad shit. no offence, i just dont get it..

but yea other than that the new psp is going to be unhomebrewable. i think that..

Lol, emo sucks. I like real music and pants that actually fit. Chick pants on a dude is eww.

http://users.adelphia.net/~edenparkstackums/Xanga_emo_sucks.jpg

ish420ism
July 14th, 2007, 12:59

You're telling me "Get with the times", Dreamcast user:rofl:
My sig is meant for you as well;)

Sketchy
July 14th, 2007, 15:18
You're telling me "Get with the times", Dreamcast user:rofl:

lol he gotcha wiv that one :D

Peace

fanpages
July 14th, 2007, 15:56
...This new PSP looks so damn cheap.

And the old one, the PSP "Fat & Heavy", *is* cheap:

[ http://www.boots.com/shop/product_details.jsp?productid=1059978 ]

BFN,

fp.

sirhax0r
July 14th, 2007, 17:33
I will only buy this if someone hacks the firmware and a game or something requires it. I mean, I am not paying another $400AUD for a PSP. Hell no. Extra RAM sounds good though, maybe it'll open the doors to emulation of more conoles... and better homebrew, perhaps. Hmm...