PDA

View Full Version : MapThis on Ebay

Denisottawa
July 12th, 2007, 06:18
There is a lot of smart people but some of them are just real f********.
:(
The funniest thing is that the m* f*rs put a picture with Japanease Map!:)

What can be done to stop the bastards?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/40-cartes-France-Europe-DVD-pour-SONY-GPS-PSP-290_W0QQitemZ290136315049QQihZ019QQcategoryZ117986 QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

To francecommerceonline

"Dear Sirs,
Do you happen to have any rights for the MapThis program?
Thanks. Will be waiting for your soonest reply.
Denis"

From francecommerceonline

"Hello,
Mapthis is a freeware. We don't sell the programm. We offer the solutions for the GPS and cards we have made.
Best regards, "

a bit later

From francecommerceonline

"Hello,
We are not M...F... !!!
We do not want to make money with this program. We simply wish to help the user of the GPS to be able to use it easily. If Deniska wants to contact us, it can it.
Best regards,"

r2000
July 12th, 2007, 13:09
I think he is selling the "maps" for use with Mapthis.

It will depend on how/where he obtained the maps and whether those are copywrighted.

It is the copywright holder of those maps that has a say, not Mapthis.

FatesWebb
July 12th, 2007, 14:08
uh, you are not allowed to distribute the maps, or the software. both are a violation. you don't have to be the person violated to make a complaint.

here:
http://cgi1.ebay.ca/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll

steve520
July 12th, 2007, 15:49
When I clicked on the link it said seller ended it early because there was an error so he probably changed it.

Denisottawa
July 12th, 2007, 18:44
Yes, they have ended this auction.
What will be next.

May be Deniska has to sell the brand FrAneCommerCeonline
on EBay?
:)

in7ane
July 12th, 2007, 20:44
That's an interesting development :)

I doubt there is much point in reporting things like this - EBay seems to have a very lax policy (see how many collections of copied and preloaded PSP games there are).

For people planning to sell Map This! and/or any kind of maps: selling navigation equipment/data for use in vehicles is potentially more serious than just selling pirated games (see the disclaimers in most of the online map services about using the maps for driving). And, I would imagine, very different rules apply to someone creating the maps and using them themselves versus being sold a fully working solution.

Just a friendly warning, if you sell a product and/or service, you may end up being considered responsible for situations like this: http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/03/26/subaquatic_merc/

atari800
July 12th, 2007, 23:24
I'll never shop at ebay again based on problems I had been trying to buy another psp. A "fist-fight" broke out between me and the seller (bricked on arrival) and I thought I had paypal buyer protection on my side - ha

I opened a dispute - and I had a pending refund in paypal for a long time
I inquired about it
I got this back
=====
A "Pending Refund" is a refund funded by the sender's bank account. The
refund will post as completed as soon as the ACH transfer completes from
the sender's bank account. If the electronic funds transfer is denied by
the bank, PayPal will re-try the transfer in an attempt to complete the
option to refund the sender of the payment. In this case, the funds can be
delayed. For more information on when the refund will clear, please contact
the sender of the refund.

If the refund cannot be completed, the pending status will become canceled
and the refund will not post to the receiver's PayPal account. For more
information regarding a canceled refund, please contact the sender of the
refund.
=====

"If the refund cannot be completed, the pending status will become canceled
and the refund will not post to the receiver's PayPal account."
"If the refund cannot be completed, the pending status will become canceled
and the refund will not post to the receiver's PayPal account. For more
information regarding a canceled refund, please contact the sender of the
refund."

So in essence - if you open a dispute and you get a dialog with the seller - at this point Paypal washes their hands of the situation. They will try again to get money - if nothing happens YOU contact the seller (which you are already fighting with) to get money back

Best to spend the extra $20 and get a new whatever -

Thats my interpretation and my new look at ebay
Buyers beware

Codaz
July 13th, 2007, 01:33
Indeed the buyers protection or shipping insurance is very weak. That's why i don't buy items more expensive that say 50-60 bucks, which is indeed a lot. I now realize it's russian roulette i played. Stil i received my products but not al very well packed.

I ordered from Japan and the US, i live in Europe.

Denisottawa
July 13th, 2007, 04:01
Deniska and In7ane,
May be you have to register your programmes to prevent such cases?
Somewhere like
http://www.benedict.com/Default.aspx

or

http://www.clickandcopyright.com/Copyright_Your_Software.asp

deniska
July 13th, 2007, 06:01
Nice find, Denisottawa!
Well, this is not the first time people try to sell free software or resource... I don't have time to go after each violator.. Hopefully prospective bidders would do their "homework" and don't overpay for something that they can get for free...Or perhaps the "big boys" like Google, MSN or Ebay would go after those "businessmen".. I believe selling Google's map material does not sit well with their "Terms of Use" ;-)

FatesWebb
July 13th, 2007, 14:12
That's an interesting development :)

I doubt there is much point in reporting things like this - EBay seems to have a very lax policy (see how many collections of copied and preloaded PSP games there are).

For people planning to sell Map This! and/or any kind of maps: selling navigation equipment/data for use in vehicles is potentially more serious than just selling pirated games (see the disclaimers in most of the online map services about using the maps for driving). And, I would imagine, very different rules apply to someone creating the maps and using them themselves versus being sold a fully working solution.

Just a friendly warning, if you sell a product and/or service, you may end up being considered responsible for situations like this: http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/03/26/subaquatic_merc/

actually I did complain to ebay, and about 30 minutes later the item had ended, so I think that is why....

AlexRoxUrSox
July 13th, 2007, 15:46
HAHA! Well these people obviously have nothing better to do. I mean come on, selling free things? Thats like someones girlfriend asking you for money in the morning after you got lucky.
Deniska, copyright the software as a freeware and make sure no one steals or profits from your hard effort.

Alex

r2000
July 13th, 2007, 16:27
Many people do sell pirated software.
The problem is most authors do not find it worthwhile to pusue it and that is not good.
There is no problem with Mapthis as it is.

Seafal
July 16th, 2007, 09:29
@Denisottawa: funny, hwo you left your abusing part out and replaced it with "a bit later".
i dont think flaming helps much and proofs you not being cool-headed enough to cause any harm to them ^^

i actually dont care what people sell at ebay. its their risk and the customers stupidity. if i was deniska i would be glad to be known so well, thats all