PDA

View Full Version : great port need programers!!

murgero1
July 12th, 2007, 17:34
I need really good programers for this one.
Win XP to PSP bios and file port.
This is possible with the psp because if we can rewrite the files from windows xp to a smaller more usefull codeing lang. we can port win XP to the psp.
4GB mem stick is big i 3.6GB is win XP so that is taken care of. but we still need to put it through a good coders advice:
If it is possible how can port windows?
i need all the people i can get!
plz assist!:thumbup:

bah
July 12th, 2007, 18:24
To put it simply, NO.

No way, no how, never, not going to happen.

cataphrax
July 12th, 2007, 18:33
First of all, that's gonna be extremely illegal. Second of all, the work required would be enormous. Third of all, don't waste whatever talents you have porting something that will probably get you sued. Port something else, like a good game.

parkermauney
July 12th, 2007, 21:40
bochs is the best it's ever going to get.
And why the hell would you want windows on it anyways.

Chameleon
July 12th, 2007, 21:46
And bochs (win 95) is even slow as hell, good luck with XP

parkermauney
July 12th, 2007, 21:52
It's not possible without 64mb of ram, so it wouldn't work anyways.

Chameleon
July 12th, 2007, 21:56
even with 64mb thats still unlikely, and who would be willing to give up everything on their mem stick for win xp... and thats if they have a 4 gig, if they have anything smaller their screwed.

parkermauney
July 12th, 2007, 23:20
You can fit a windows install on 2gigs of space. Still it would suck. What kind of architecture would the psp count as? It wouldn't run like it would on an x86 machine.

repuken2
July 13th, 2007, 03:54
And you'll need bill to lend you Win's source code.
I don't think so...

murgero1
July 14th, 2007, 13:29
No listen when you install windows to a PC, you got a folder called windows. That is what i call "source code"!
and you can use a demo ver. of win XP. All the files and folders are already setup! just move them or install on hard, then with a mod-chip you can easily get 256mb of mem and a lot of ram by moding the mod and spending $190.00 for the two mods and you have a fully functional win XP hacked PSP! And how is it illeagal if you are allowed to install win XP on 3 computers, the psp is considered a computer.

bah
July 14th, 2007, 15:18
No, that is not source code.
Those are compiled binaries and the data they use.

They are also compiled for the x86 CPU architecture not MIPS (the type of CPU the PSP has).

Programmers write code that is (relatively) readable, it is then put through a special program called a compiler which turns it into a binary, which is those instructions turned into 'CPU language' if you will.

Windows is closed source, you will not get the code to port even if you had the time to do so.
It is also AMAZINGLY complex, and huge amounts of it would have to be re-written, not just re-compiled.

There is also no modchip for the PSP that allows you to add extra RAM (working memory, not storage memory like the memory stick or where the firmware is stored).

The only real possibility would be to emulate the PC hardware, and that will be REALLY slow as others have said. Completely unusable slow.

I think my first reply (post 2 of this thread) is about all that needs to be said about XP on the PSP.

Exophase
July 14th, 2007, 20:15
Even if you did magically port Windows what would you do with it? Run Windows apps? Oops, those would have to be "ported" too.

murgero1
July 14th, 2007, 20:21
no! the exe'swould be placed in a folder for winXPprt.
and if i had enough money and time and the brains i could do this! but i cant so i asked!

goliath182
September 1st, 2007, 13:19
Good luck mate a i reckon its a good idea... if possible

JPJunkie
September 1st, 2007, 18:40
Even if you did magically port Windows what would you do with it? Run Windows apps? Oops, those would have to be "ported" too.

Thats exactly what I was thinking so what would be the point

punkonjunk
October 12th, 2007, 20:21
Bochs+tinyXP is sweet. I'm sure if you played with it, you could make a wondeful TinyXP PSP distro. But god knows I'm not doing it. Boot times on PSP are too long.

murgero1
October 20th, 2007, 15:11
What about windows psp, they did it (google it!!!)

it is a home brew app. i think it is lua or C++....

it is not the actual thing, but it looks real!!!

look in google images for windows psp or windowsXP psp.

yaustar
October 21st, 2007, 01:23
It isn't a port, it's a shell that looks like Windows and isn't fully featured like Windows.

What you are proposing isn't possible, end of story.

murgero1
October 21st, 2007, 17:38
Some one did vista!!!!! and i have the shell vers. for psp called windows PSP look it up on google.com!

yaustar
October 21st, 2007, 19:29
*puts hand to face*
It. Is. A. Shell.
It. Is. Not. A. Port. Or. Even. A. Clone.
It. Just. Looks. Like. Windows. It. Is. NOT. Windows.

I honestly don't know to make this clearer.

Exophase
October 22nd, 2007, 18:37
*puts hand to face*
It. Is. A. Shell.
It. Is. Not. A. Port. Or. Even. A. Clone.
It. Just. Looks. Like. Windows. It. Is. NOT. Windows.

I honestly don't know to make this clearer.

Try more periods XD

punkonjunk; Bochs on PSP is probably like running a 1MHz Pentium 3 (maybe a little more, maybe a little less, but think that order of magnitude). If you can't handle PSP's boot times of a few seconds then I don't think anyone is going to like waiting several minutes or even hours to get in WinXP on Bochs. Then when you get there I doubt even the mouse cursor will move in real time.

Windows XP basically requires a machine that's more powerful than PSP, even if it's stripped down. Running it on emulator definitely won't cut it, especially one like Bochs which is not designed to be fast but to be a useful debugging tool.

And seriously how can you call a pirated and hacked up copy of WinXP a "distro"? >_>