PDA

View Full Version : [UPDATE] Xandu's Media Player 2 1.2B [BETA]

-Xandu-
July 12th, 2007, 21:04
Fixed bugs, here's:

Changelog:
-Font finally polished, XMP looks better now.
-The "weird" noises before playing reduced.
-The back bug that happened when you go back to the library.
-Play/Pause icons now look better.
-Scroll bar doesn't overlap the battery.
-Folder bug now fixed, all folders work.
-Analog in other menus now works.
-Music Quiz updated (now views score)
-Shuffle feature added BETA.
-XMP can enter folders in folders (like: PSP/MUSIC/FOLDER1/FOLDER2/Music.mp3), the XMB Mp3 player can't.
-XMP is a bit louder than XMB ;).

Screenshots:

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u120/SXandu/snap0054.png
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u120/SXandu/snap0053.png
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u120/SXandu/snap0055.png
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u120/SXandu/snap0058.png

Features:
-Supported formats: MP3,WAV,OGG,MOD,S3M,IT and more to come!
-iPod graphics (including animated songbar)
-iPod clickwheel using analog
-Mp3 streaming (which means you can load up huge sized Mp3s)
-Shuffle mode
-Music Quiz
-Album Art
-ID3 tags
-iTunes friendly (song info)
-Lyrics functional
-And much more inside!!..

Known issues:
-Some songs may not have proper songlength
-Only ID3 v1 supported for now (v2 will be added soon)
-HUGE Album Art may not show up properly.

Don't forget to check out the PDF user manual included inside ;).

Special thanks to:
Homer - For his great help and support.
GBAX and Emuholic for sponsoring XMP.
YoungLink(Cloud Kun) - For BETA testing, sorry for all the people who didn't PBeta test.
pspfan - Great bug reports.
GBAX entry page. (http://gbax.gp2x.de/gbax2007.html)

Hope you like it :).

Give feedback via comments.

Important Notes:
-Make sure it's in PSP/GAME150 to work perfectly.
-Make sure your music is in PSP/MUSIC or MUSIC (either of them Mp3s outside subfolders if you want them to appear in Music Quiz)
-Read the User Manual troubleshooting section.
-Make sure your files don't have foreign characters (Chinese or Japanese for example).

Report bugs here (if there are any).

Alternative Download :
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u120/SXandu/DN2-1.png (http://www.badongo.com/file/3732312)

parkermauney
July 12th, 2007, 21:09
Wow, this is looking even more awesome than before, definitely dling it.
What other formats does it support besides MP3,WAV,MOD,S3M, and IT.

You could just specify.

D0N
July 12th, 2007, 21:09
Nice work Xandu! Keep it up! :)

dj2005
July 12th, 2007, 21:10
Great work Xandu.

splodger15
July 12th, 2007, 21:16
Nice Work Xandu this will come in handy when I go away for a while

xavz
July 12th, 2007, 21:26
:( can't play it. It loads but quits soon after the first screen..

Auriman1
July 12th, 2007, 21:31
Shuffle feature now implemented? That's all I needed to hear. You can bet I'm gonna be using this now :D

I might as well note this media player supports .ogg files, since it wasn't mentioned in the description, whose compression rate can be far superior to .mp3 files.

-Xandu-
July 12th, 2007, 21:35
Sorry there was a file missing, re-uploading now.

burrito
July 12th, 2007, 21:50
Good job. The only thing missing is being able to change the cpu speed like LightMP3 (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66610) can. I hope that this is added in the next release.

Ranmax09
July 12th, 2007, 21:53
Thanks for the new version -Xandu-, Looks alot better with the font changed now. If you're looking for more features to add I got one for you: Volume boost just like SimpleAmp, DJSP, and LightMP3.

parkermauney
July 12th, 2007, 22:00
Yeah, the psp's volume sucks.

DarthPaul
July 12th, 2007, 22:31
Cheers Xandu ! Thanks once again for your great application. And good luck in the competition.

pspfan
July 12th, 2007, 22:52
Nice! Much improved, dling now and will provide another report (but I'm sure it won't be as long since you fixed a lot!)

E.J.
July 12th, 2007, 23:02
Well, every release it looks better!

The volume boost isn't a bad idea, it would be great to have some EQ too (if itsn't too hard to implement)

Another good feature would be not stoping playback when you get back to the browser.

Xx FightStar xX
July 12th, 2007, 23:19
Great release thanks:)

Auriman1
July 12th, 2007, 23:41
Thought I'd make a bug report.

It tends to crash after you let it play through several songs on its own (the black reboot screen would appear right as it starts the next mp3, which would still play all the way through). In my tests, it normally occurred after playing through six songs (error on the seventh song).

Please note this only happened when I let it automatically go through songs, compared to manually switching to the next one with the R button.

Also, after a song crashes in the above fashion, if you press start to reboot, although the menu opens again, if you try to start another song afterwards, it immediately crashes again. If you press start to reboot after this second crash, it only loads the coding competition page before crashing again.

If you instead go back to the PSP's XMB instead of pressing start to reboot, it's working again when you re-enter the application. Perhaps there's a bug in the reboot mechanism?

Regardless, this media player is really starting to shape up. Keep up the good work, Xandu :)

SnoopKatt
July 12th, 2007, 23:51
Can this do folders in folders?
EX: "ms0://PSP/MUSIC/Hatebreed/Supremacy"
Because I know the PSP XMB player can't do that.

Safari Al
July 13th, 2007, 00:20
great job xandu! *downloading*

Yay the font is better now!

pspfan
July 13th, 2007, 01:26
OK, so again great job, big improvement yet again. Here's my report:

Good Stuff:
-Font fixed. This makes an amazing difference. Just like I had imagined, it looks much cleaner, more professional, and more awesome.
-Weird sounds reduced (though still present, they are better.)
-When you play a song and push next track a few times, the last song played is now the highlighted song! Much better, but there is a problem with this (I will get into that later in the bugs section).
-Play/pause icons now fit in with the background
-Play icon now shows automatically when you start playing a song (before, you'd have to pause and then unpause to get the play icon to show)
-Scrollbar issue fixed, but still not perfect (I'll get into that later in the bugs section)

Bugs:
-Weird sounds when skipping tracks still exist though reduced. Could they be completely fixed if the mp3 was stopped (not paused) before going to the new song?
-Going next or previous track a few times changes the highlighter to be on the last song played. However, it doesn't work like that when on "Shuffle mode".
-The scrollbar doesn't overlap/have 2 scrollbars anymore, but it still doesn't start at the top (which would be ideal). Small bug, though, and should be low on the priorities.
-Slide transitions still don't work anywhere except going from Library to Now Playing and visa versa (they don't work when going from the main menu to Music Quiz or Settings or visa versa)
-When you finish the last song in the list, and go to next track it still doesn't go to the first song.
-Not really a bug, but I noticed on your screenshots have a background image, but it seems to just be white for me. I checked my brothers iPod Nano, and it is just a white background, so I'm not sure why your screens have that anyway.

Suggestions:
-Add ability to continue playing music while browsing the menus. I know you said it would be crackly, but maybe we can figure that out if it is enabled.
-Add fast forward/rewind options. If it's too hard, how about a "skip 15 seconds ahead/behind" feature? It would be neat if you could use the analog clickwheel during the Now Playing screen to move forward/back in a song just like a real iPod.
-Add the Shuffle Songs option to the main menu (that's how it is on a real iPod).
-Add an option to sort songs alphabetically.
-Exclude non-playable files from the library.
-Add support for other ID3 tags (I know someone who can help with this).
-Once other forms of ID3 tags are supported, remove the filename from the playing screen (it won't be needed if the tags are shown).
-Add playlists! The author of LightMP3 may be able to help here, but he coded in C so it might not be too helpful...just a thought, though.
-Add option to Sort by Artist or Song (or Playlist, when they are added). This sorting could be done either using tags (first choice), or by the filename if all songs are named like "Artist - Song.mp3".
-Add a Clock with date and time (I think this is pretty easy to add, just call up what the PSP says)
-Add Brick (aka Breakout)! Very fun game :p. Would be awesome if you could play it while listening to music.
-Add Solitaire. Would be awesome if you could play it while listening to music. Brick is more wanted by me, though :)
-Add photo support :p...haha I barely have any photos, but I was just throwing it out there.
-Add Video support, I know this is very hard, and I don't even expect it to be put in, but again, I'm just throwing it out there.
-Add Contacts.
-Add Calendar.
-Add Notes.
-Add Stopwatch
-Add About screen (Lists number of songs, number of photos, capacity, available space, and version).

OK, the last 8 suggestions (that I highlighted in green) are really just so that we could have a full out iPod with menus like this:

Music
-Playlists
-Artists
-Songs
Photos
-Slideshow Settings
Extras
-Clock
-Contacts
-Calendar
-Notes
-Stopwatch
Games
-Brick
-Music Quiz
-Solitaire
Settings
-About
-Shuffle
-Repeat
-Clicker
-Date & Time
-Contacts
-Legal
Shuffle Songs

So, basically I'm saying don't even consider those last 8 green suggestions until a LONG time from now when everything else is working :)

Anyway, I think a menu like this would do just fine for now:

Music
-Playlists
-Artists
-Songs
Extras
-Clock
Games
-Brick
-Music Quiz
Settings
-Clicker
-Date & Time
Shuffle Songs

One last suggestion:
-Have a poll and see how many people think the formats other than MP3 are needed. If it's not too many, you could remove support for the other formats in order to increase memory. I'm not sure how it's handled in the program though, so this may or may not help memory. But, if having only MP3 support would help memory (so you could use the new memory to maybe implement my first suggestion :D!!), I would be all for it!

OK, that's it for my report. Dang that was another long one...Still up for beta-ing if you want ;)

Edit:
One last suggestion:
-Make the music quiz more like the real iPod one. Basically just do these things: If the person is wrong, have it display "incorrect" and also show the correct answer. And time should be in hundredths of a second (so it starts at 1000 and goes down). Then, when you answer correctly, the time that you answer the question in (in hundredth of a second still) gets added to your score (which starts at zero). In addition to showing this score, the number of correct answers out of the number questions ASKED so far should be displayed (right now it is the number of correct answers out of the number of total questions). Lastly, fade out wrong answers as time goes down.

OK, one more suggestion:
-I agree that the analog could scroll a little faster when at the top or bottom of the screen (it scrolls faster between the top and bottom of the screen, though).

Mark30001
July 13th, 2007, 02:12
It's nice to see this is still in development.

Keep up the good work!

GmDude66
July 13th, 2007, 02:25
1. Volume bar
2. Alphabetical order
3. ID3v2
4. Eliminate jittery sound while switching tracks (maybe completely stop the song and clear buffer before playing next song
5. Eliminate jittery sound while scrolling through menus/playing music quiz (maybe a bigger buffer, I noticed it reads every like 2 seconds)
6. Allow music to play ANYWHERE :D

Otherwise, GOOD JOB!!!

Seriously, I will use this instead of the XMB music player :D

xg917
July 13th, 2007, 02:30
nice taste of music and cool app. im gona get this.

neverSurrender
July 13th, 2007, 04:02
It looks fantastic and works pretty well. Very impressed!

Only issues I have with it are the switching-tracks garbage noise, and the fact that I can't figure out how to get it to sync with iTunes.

There is a way to do the later right or did I just completely miss the boat?

gunntims0103
July 13th, 2007, 05:50
Great stuff Xandu!

aznTerz
July 13th, 2007, 05:57
this player was worth the wait...
lolz
wellz one thing...
can u increase the speed of the analog
scrolling?

fpcreator2000
July 13th, 2007, 06:21
I'll grab it as soon as it gets wma support.

pspfan
July 13th, 2007, 06:49
OK, so I forgot to add these two suggestions in my post (but I will edit them in after I post this just so that they are all in one post).

-Make the music quiz more like the real iPod one. Basically just do these things: If the person is wrong, have it display "incorrect" and also show the correct answer. And time should be in hundredths of a second (so it starts at 1000 and goes down). Then, when you answer correctly, the time that you answer the question in (in hundredth of a second still) gets added to your score (which starts at zero). In addition to showing this score, the number of correct answers out of the number questions ASKED so far should be displayed (right now it is the number of correct answers out of the number of total questions). Lastly, fade out wrong answers as time goes down.

-I agree that the analog could scroll a little faster when at the top or bottom of the screen (it scrolls faster between the top and bottom of the screen, though).

Robert de Clair
July 13th, 2007, 08:12
BUGS:

Still doesnt work with 3.40 kernel, its bug only for peoples with 8GBMS
Navigation with analog are strange, i can only move 1 time up and after that one time down, so i can scroll down few songs or few menu positions cause after i click analog down im sliding down only one position and i can't choose down again (before i press 1 time up)

sorry for my english

wishes:

support for SID format
support for zipped tracker files like MOD, IT, S3M cause this files could be pretty compressed for less room on MS

pspfan
July 13th, 2007, 08:18
Robert de Clair,
It will work on 3.40 kernel if there is a luaplayer for 3.40 kernel. I don't know if there is yet, but if there isn't then it won't work until someone makes one.

-Xandu-
July 13th, 2007, 08:45
Can this do folders in folders?
EX: "ms0://PSP/MUSIC/Hatebreed/Supremacy"
Because I know the PSP XMB player can't do that.

Yep ;).

Wow nice list pspfan *credited*.
Auriman1: Checking your bugs now.

erix2006
July 13th, 2007, 10:30
Istalled it. Works fine! Thanks. The music seems to be louder or is it me? :rolleyes:

Robert de Clair
July 13th, 2007, 15:28
request for next relases :)

XM formrat (PC Trackers)
SID format (C64)
MID/KAR format (with display text function)

possibiliy of playing from zipped archive (even with more than 1 file with)

it's nice loking player with mod support so great for oldschool emufanz like me ;)

XVredskysVX
July 13th, 2007, 18:05
you rock dude.

dangee
July 13th, 2007, 19:06
nice 1 -Xandu- ,
just tried a hi-def mp3, & the sound quality was noticably better (sharper , less wow 'n flutter) than the XMB.

Robert de Clair
July 13th, 2007, 20:30
Hmm but aplication really often are freezing :(
play / quiz / play /quiz / freeze

in quiz there are strange sounds (similiar to this one when changing mp3) when im changing answers (up/down).
in settings should be selectable sampletime for quest 10 secs sometimes is to small for recognising a slow orchestral music :)

pspfan
July 13th, 2007, 22:54
request for next relases :)

XM formrat (PC Trackers)
SID format (C64)
MID/KAR format (with display text function)

possibiliy of playing from zipped archive (even with more than 1 file with)

it's nice loking player with mod support so great for oldschool emufanz like me ;)

I think there is a media player that is only for playing rom music and that stuff, and can do zipped stuff. I don't remember the name, though.

Robert de Clair
July 14th, 2007, 08:41
pspfan:

yes - MILKY PLAYER - http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=30038
but he was horrible keysettings, MILKYPLAY playing most MOD XM and other tracker format, zipped also

there is another one for SID and Chiptunes player (Game Music Gear http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=67568) but have strange keysettings too, doesnt support zip files and is.... strangelooking

so i think if Xandu still be working on player that may be a ULTIMATE player for MOD SID XM MP3 and many other music formats.
Xandu player is nicelooking, clearly and with simple keyset. just intuitive. Ofcourse stil have some bugs (damn freezing) but i trust Xandu will improve stability and functionality :)

still sorry for my english

databoy2k
July 14th, 2007, 08:41
Another great release! The app is fast becoming more polished. Well done.
On the analog scrolling issue... Is it possible to make the up and down arrows go up and down a full page, and the rotating analog stick work like the iPod? I've got a flipping TON of songs, and the current setup makes it impossible to select songs below the letter H or so... Any chance of using page-up/down to fix that?
Kudos on another fantastic release... If I run into any new bugs I'll let you know! Thanks for the scoring on the music quiz btw - Much nicer to have a goal!
--Databoy2k

djlenny51
July 14th, 2007, 15:24
how come the album art does not display even though its one of the features, i have the album art pretty small, any one having the same prob. ohh nice work xandu!

mikhded
July 14th, 2007, 19:23
great program, been improving by huge steps. I've got my money on it because I have so many ogg tracks, and don't want to have to make new playlists everytime I delete/add tracks to my psp (a la pspradio). Speaking of ogg, I've noticed some bugs related to that file format:

-repeats ogg's indefinitely, never changes tracks. (on the upside, no 6-song limit!)
-shuffle setting not observed or settable while an ogg track is playing (most likely related to above?)
-playing an mp3 with shuffle NOT on will not be able to play an ogg file that is next, it freezes. (I noticed that if multiple ogg files are next, the title of the third ogg file is displayed -- however, mp3, ogg, mp3, it froze before even displying the ogg filename).

Also, I've noticed the 6-song limit, but what I haven't been able to figure out is if shuffle will ever choose an ogg track. Has anyone else noticed? I'm guessing it would have the same freezing results...

beavisx
July 15th, 2007, 03:28
Will .flac be added since all my music is in this format

Safari Al
July 15th, 2007, 03:52
Never heard of that format

GmDude66
July 15th, 2007, 06:04
xD, that format is old-school..

Convert to MP3, get modern.

dj2005
July 15th, 2007, 06:15
xD, that format is old-school..

Convert to MP3, get modern.

Except that flac sounds a lot better than a lossy format such as MP3. Not going to notice a difference on the PSP though.

jamotto
July 15th, 2007, 07:28
Except that flac sounds a lot better than a lossy format such as MP3. Not going to notice a difference on the PSP though.

With a decent pair of headphones you can.

iwantanimac
July 15th, 2007, 13:40
I get weird noise for the first 20 seconds of some of my tracks. They're all prepared by iTunes and have album art, so maybe it being unable to read ID3 2, maybe it's trying to play my tags?

And it freezes when i try to use the Music Quiz when i have all my music in subfolders.

It looks great, though!

-Xandu-
July 15th, 2007, 13:48
Yeah, you have to have them outside so they appear in the Music Quiz.

Sup Psp
July 15th, 2007, 22:55
Very nice application. But i think your missing a playlist and fastfoward and rewind, and i really think you should forget about the scrolling wheel thing, that is way too slow.. You Mind as well create a regular scrolling, but a really fast one though.

gorkagb_89
July 20th, 2007, 13:56
just a great music player Xandu! will you release another version which not gets freezed, as it happens quite a lot...thats the only bad point I have found in XMP.

auns555
July 22nd, 2007, 18:21
Thank you Xandu

GmDude66
July 23rd, 2007, 13:36
lol, any updates Xandu?

michauko
July 25th, 2007, 09:09
Hi,

- Thank you for this *great* job ! I've been waiting for an OGG player since the day I had my PSP (quite a long time, it was sold with a firmware 1.52 :O

- I can confirm you have to avoid special caracters, french ones for example : é, è, ç, à
It just freezes everything :(

I saw on this forum a lot of insane functionnality wish-list. Maybe one reasonnable thing would be to allow the up and down arrow to be pressed one time to make the music list scroll, instead of press-press-press-press-ooch my finger.

Again, thank you, let us know when you release something new !

michauko
July 25th, 2007, 09:11
oops, ok, I don't have an ipod, but I understood what you did, you can use the analog stick... much more complicated :)
I'll try this, then.

punkonjunk
August 3rd, 2007, 06:40
Hi Xandu! I'm very impressed with this player so far.
I'd like to make a few suggestions -
A display for how much battery time remains in actual time. That'd be awesome.
The ability to turn off the screen on a button press. Or at least the backlight.
More information on the usage of images in the music folder.

as I use it more, I'll give you a few more suggestions, if I have anyomore. But even at this point, it tops sony's crappy media player!

Oh yeah, how about video support? XD

pspfan
August 3rd, 2007, 09:17
The ability to turn off the screen on a button press. Or at least the backlight.
Sony put this feature in for any homebrew or game or anything. You just hold the screen button (next to the music button) for a few seconds and the screen goes black.

Anyway, Xandu, have you been working on this? It's OK if you've been taking a break, I was just wondering on the status of the next update/release.

-Xandu-
August 3rd, 2007, 09:39
Yeah I've been taking a break since then.

I might put this up at NEO Flash compo, what do you think guys?

pspfan
August 3rd, 2007, 09:40
I think that'd be awesome. You'd have my vote. When you start working on it again, I'll be happy to provide more bug reports :D

-Xandu-
August 3rd, 2007, 09:59
New rule:
[7] If your production have enter other compo BEFORE this NEO compo ,then you can't use it to enter our compo again.

EDIT:

Ok, the 7th rule have changed...

[7] If your production have enter other compo before, you can enter this NEO compo still.

Alright, wish me luck.
I'll fix the memory bug in this version (which froze after playing 6 songs).

punkonjunk
August 3rd, 2007, 15:53
Aw man, I wish I knew that screen thing earlier.

Also, hey, is there a way to select multiple albums to play at once? Or do I have to make playlists and use those?