PDA

View Full Version : DSJabber

Malax
July 13th, 2007, 16:02
Hi DCEmu Community!
I started developing a Jabber-client for the Nintendo DS. Currenty, its not very advanced, but it works. I already talked to some friends using my DS :). Now my concern: What do you think about a Jabber client for the Nintendo DS? What do you guys expect from a jabber client? Im in doubt there are many jabber users out there, but if you use it: Please post your opinion!

My plans so far:
Implement the basic Jabber protocol described in RFC 3920 and 3921.
Implement some XEP's like Groupchat, VCard, File transfer and so on. (Jingle would be sooo cool, but currently far away)

Are there any XEP's you want to see in DSJabber? I hope you like the idea and visit the project's blog at: http://malax.de/dsjabber (English, dont be afraid of a .DE domain ;-))
Malax

PS: Sorry about my bad english, it isnt my native language. ;-)

theli
July 13th, 2007, 17:05
nice to see someone started to work on it ... :)
as for me i would like to see full unicode support with user-selectable fonts :)
and, of course, ability to have some different keymaps for input not only with latin characters ...

XEP-0136 would be nice too

and ... tabs for chat windows would be awesome :)

XDelusion
July 13th, 2007, 20:19
I could really go for this, assuming it will support ICQ as well like most Jabber Clients!

dark.nowhere
July 14th, 2007, 03:11
Malax, thank you for this. I've wanted one of these for nds for some time now. I'll try it out when it's released. IMO the biggest concern (aside from actually working) is convenient input. There are a few options, like the DSOrganize keyboard.

I could really go for this, assuming it will support ICQ as well like most Jabber Clients!

Jabber and ICQ are different protocols. It would be nice to have a universal IM client, even though I really only use Jabber and MSN.

ramjet
July 14th, 2007, 06:16
Jabber can be used as a gateway for other IM protocols, i think this will be cool also

saicrazyfire
July 16th, 2007, 02:14
google talk anyone?

TeenDev
July 16th, 2007, 02:56
yes! another chat program!

does anyone actually use Google Talk though???

texinick
July 18th, 2007, 04:04
I know quite a few that use google talk. Fortunately Google Talk uses Jabber, so the DSJabber program would therefore let you talk to Jabber & Google Talk users without doing anything special.

As for MSN/AIM & ICQ etc, it depends on a) the server that you use, and whether they have the relevant gateways set up and b) whether the client is coded to spec to allow the user to connect to those gateways.

If you could get a DSJabber coded that meets the specs, then that would pretty much give you a multi-protocal chat client. An excellent addition to the DS IMHO.

zorcy
July 18th, 2007, 14:00
great thing about google, it works on many locked down work sites, finds the firewall i guess, i never checked, it works and thats what i use. this is a great app, thanks