PDA

View Full Version : Joystiq hands-on with the new PSP

wraggster
July 13th, 2007, 23:37
Article via joystiq (http://www.joystiq.com/2007/07/12/joystiq-hands-on-with-the-new-psp/)

We spent some alone time with the newly announced PSP redesign. At first glance, the system appears to be identical to the original system, but getting our hands on the system revealed that this is, in fact, a significant upgrade to the original. The most immediate thing we noticed was how light the system is: the original was in no ways heavy, but the new handheld is certainly much lighter, without making it too feathery.

The glossy new finish of the redesigned PSP is very attractive, although we're afraid that it might attract fingerprints much more easily than the already susceptible original. Regardless, the shiny new sheen makes the system makes the original look dull in comparison.

The new system is thinner, mostly due to the newly designed UMD door. Instead of having mechanical gears that force the system open, this system features a latch that must be opened by hand. The door feels much more secure than the original. According to John Koller, dropping the system won't result in the UMD shooting out, as it did in the previous system design.

In addition to being slimmer, the new system also has redesigned buttons that feel much more responsive than the original. The D-Pad and face buttons all have a little bit more resistance to them, making the tactile sensation of using the system that much better. Unfortunately, Koller explained that the analog nub is not improved, although we found that a brand-new system works better than our system from launch.

There are also a few more minor changes, such as the omission of the unused IR port. The Wi-Fi switch has been moved to the top of the system, where it's less likely to be hit by accident. The Memory Stick port was moved to the other side of the system, and is much more cramped. We're a little disappointed by that change, because it makes swapping the Stick out of the system a little bit more difficult than previously.

The new headphone jack (pictured, above) not only moves further to the left of the system, but utilizes a new pin system that allows for the system's video-out. Component or composite cables can be used for TV out, but Koller explains that PSP game output will only be component-compatible. Movies (of both Memory Stick and UMD flavors) can use either component or composite cables. The video output of UMD video is especially impressive, due to the UMD's high video resolution. Many people have forgotten that UMD movies are encoded in DVD resolution: 480p. We're certain that this new feature will make UMD movies more viable than they have in the past.

Screens Via Comments

E.J.
July 13th, 2007, 23:56
The earphones port looks all the same to me.

Could this tv-out be implemented on software? (that would explain why games can be output only in composite)

If so... wouldn't it be posible to have this feature in the ol' good PSP

PSPdemon
July 14th, 2007, 00:22
The earphones port looks all the same to me.

Could this tv-out be implemented on software? (that would explain why games can be output only in composite)

If so... wouldn't it be posible to have this feature in the ol' good PSP

the problem with this is that it is different.... and also that the new model uses a new type of nand ( 64 instead of 32 )

also we dont know how much this new firmware uses up in space.... so that too could be a new problem of intergrating this 3.6 firmware with current psp's

I think this is what the psp really needs...

Ill be sure to buy this when it comes out :)

Thanks for Everything,
PSPdemon

xcjzerox
July 14th, 2007, 00:23
I just called sony

this is what they said the first version of the psp will keep coming with new FW updates with the other one will keep having new feature the whole video output
will be for the new one the is coming in sept im SO ANGRY NOW I HAVE TO BUY A Whole other UNIT

zheg_pagaza
July 14th, 2007, 00:54
pictures sux!!

voorheesda
July 14th, 2007, 01:46
Its not a too big difference :S its not like the difference in DS PHAT and DS LITE... rip off !!!!!!!!!:@

emuking
July 14th, 2007, 02:03
um psp redesign a rip off, at least with the ds lite you get something

shedeus
July 14th, 2007, 02:07
video is out is kinda cool but.... not really the point of the psp is it? i'll stick with my fat ass psp running OE and homebrew

sony.1991
July 14th, 2007, 02:56
They promised us 8gigs of BUILT IN FLASH! The ONLY good thing about this piece of S*** is the video out which should have been in the first design. Hey where's the smaller design they were telling us about? Or the LED screen?

Shadowblind
July 14th, 2007, 03:02
Hmmmm...so say this only only has firmware above 3.60. Dark_Alex is gone, and they probably added more crap to keep homebrew-ers from making the best out of their, uh, "console". Not to mention ANYONE who even STARTS to hack this console is gonna get sued like crazy from $ony.

So whos gonna buy it for its crappy normal games?

sony.1991
July 14th, 2007, 03:09
So whos gonna buy it for its crappy normal games?

Idiots, that is the target buyer isn't it?

mike_jmg
July 14th, 2007, 06:18
I just called sony

this is what they said the first version of the psp will keep coming with new FW updates with the other one will keep having new feature the whole video output
will be for the new one the is coming in sept im SO ANGRY NOW I HAVE TO BUY A Whole other UNIT

I'm with you man this really sux, I'm already looking at my psp as a monster compared to the new one.

This is just a pile of $h*t, and even if you got it, then you have to see if at some point it can be hacked. (I don't think a modchip will fit in there)

And if this ever happens you won't be able to use it at it's full capabilities cause there won't be a 3.60-OE

so what's the point, it's just a BEAUTIFUL PIECE OF $h*t

mike_jmg
July 14th, 2007, 06:26
Idiots, that is the target buyer isn't it?

You are the idiot, We all love our psps because we can put almost whatever we want on it. (Making my coffe is the only thing missing)

I have a snes, a gba, a video player, an mp3 player, an HP 48Gx calculator, an instant messenger, a web browser, i can use a keyboard, i think there is some sort of notepad that goes with it. (All in one great handheld). With a crappy battery life of course but I can live with it

Oh! I forgot it also plays PSP games

DessyDago
July 14th, 2007, 06:57
You are the idiot, We all love our psps because we can put almost whatever we want on it. (Making my coffe is the only thing missing)

I have a snes, a gba, a video player, an mp3 player, an HP 48Gx calculator, an instant messenger, a web browser, i can use a keyboard, i think there is some sort of notepad that goes with it. (All in one great handheld). With a crappy battery life of course but I can live with it

Oh! I forgot it also plays PSP games

I think he meant that idiots are the people who only use their psp for normal psp games.

MicroNut
July 14th, 2007, 08:32
It will be hacked, its only a matter of time.
There will be new "wizards" to bring us new dreams
The old will become new again and this will be the portable emu / homebrew system of choice.
Its lighter, has more internal memory and video out.
There is a whole lot of psp1 experienced coders that will be able to apply what they already know.
A large code base for new coders to draw from and apply to the new psp.

The only thing that disappoints me is that DA never got to finish what would have been the final OE firmware for the original PSP.
3.50OE could have been the crowning jewel, a brilliant end to an amazing feat.

ish420ism
July 14th, 2007, 08:34
They promised us 8gigs of BUILT IN FLASH! The ONLY good thing about this piece of S*** is the video out which should have been in the first design. Hey where's the smaller design they were telling us about? Or the LED screen?

sony promised no such thing. in fact, your the idiot for believing the rumors you read on these biased forums.

mat_dizzy
July 14th, 2007, 11:31
i wonder if dark alex was forced off the scene by sony as a result of a "fresh non homebrew psp"? well i will wait for a while before it gets hacked! If it does which its bound too... And the only cool thing is the video out for homebrew :) otherwise its a rip off! If you already own one that is

Cokemusic
July 14th, 2007, 13:04
No i'm guessin the 3.50 official ISO loader capability was the last nail in the coffin.

mauro2029
July 14th, 2007, 14:19
The video out feature does sound sweet... too bad about the ir port, I use mine constantly... the other improvements I guess do make it better.... I guess we'll just have to wait and see it personally once its released to see if its worth the purchase.

Veskgar
July 14th, 2007, 14:36
There will be 2 types of people who will buy this redesign ripoff.

1.) The unsuspecting consumer who is the type to lease a new car every year and upgrade to 3.51 firmware the moment its announced because its the "newest" and....

2.) Homebrew hopefuls like myself who will probably want to secure the earliest firmware version of the PSP redesign hoping that some day a downgrader or custom firmware updater will be released. Hell, I'd even be excited about a hello world! exploit on the new PSP.

innocentnaiveboy
July 14th, 2007, 14:40
I was just about to buy a PSP, and then I read about this new version being released in September.... So i'll just wait a month and buy that instead... all good for me!

pubjoe
July 14th, 2007, 15:17
It's only 10% thinner and the video out is not worth losing homebrew for.

Nothing to get angry about. You don't "need" to buy it, you either want it or you don't. And it's pretty cheap too! sell your old one on ebay to pay for it if you must - No big deal.

delirumhappy
July 14th, 2007, 19:25
Are the Ice Silver and White PSP's coming to the US?

burrito
July 14th, 2007, 20:12
it might attract fingerprints much more easily than the already susceptible original.

:mad:

the new system also has redesigned buttons that feel much more responsive than the original

:)

the analog nub is not improved

:mad:

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=19704&stc=1&d=1184366232

I don't notice any difference. :mad:

utilizes a new pin system that allows for the system's video-out

I would never use this. PSP is supposed to be portable. :(

And this won't allow homebrew for a while. :mad:

So overall, this gets 1/6 or 16.7%. Not worth buying.

jaws365
July 15th, 2007, 15:25
Lighter equipment is always welcome! I was hoping for a redesign to make the PSP fit better in my hands, maybe this is the solution?

During a lifetime of gaming Iīve never been worried about wrist damages or anything, untill I bought Sony PSP...:eek: :eek: :eek:

Of course, if it is not able to run PSP Rhythm it ainīt worth shit to me.

xg917
July 15th, 2007, 19:49
I was just about to buy a PSP, and then I read about this new version being released in September.... So i'll just wait a month and buy that instead... all good for me!

thats if u dont want to try homebrew..