PDA

View Full Version : E3 2007: Old PSP to be Phased Out

wraggster
July 14th, 2007, 13:13
Via IGN (http://uk.psp.ign.com/articles/804/804905p1.html)

Seybold also shed some light on the company's plans for the older PSP model now that a redesign has been announced. Will it be phased out as well? Or receive its own price drop?

"The newly designed PSP will replace the original PSP design starting in September with the $169.99 PSP Core Pack and the $199.99 Daxter PSP Entertainment Pack."

Cokemusic
July 14th, 2007, 13:49
I hate the fact that they are stoping the production of old PSP's this is guaranteed to have to effects.

1.Decrease the increase of the homebrew user population.
2.Increase the price of homebrew compatible PSP's

And on top of this there's 20 Million + original PSP owners , 13-17 Million of these probably won't buy the 2nd PSP because of the lack of additional Feautures.

Is Sony going to stop supporting original PSP's , I've heard that because of the difference is shape and size many current PSP accesories won't be compatible with the newer model , Sony is in a way forcing us to move the the newer version.

I'm personaly annoyed with this , I feel my needs as a customer are being ignored , It used to be super cool to have a PSP where I live but now i'll look like a 'tard because I don't have the newest version of the PSP ( despite the fact that it's not much better at all).

Chameleon
July 14th, 2007, 14:03
Is Sony going to stop supporting original PSP's , I've heard that because of the difference is shape and size many current PSP accesories won't be compatible with the newer model , Sony is in a way forcing us to move the the newer version.

That's exactly what ive been saying from the beginning

tvrstl
July 14th, 2007, 14:09
I hate the fact that they are stoping the production of old PSP's this is guaranteed to have to effects.

1.Decrease the increase of the homebrew user population.
2.Increase the price of homebrew compatible PSP's

And on top of this there's 20 Million + original PSP owners , 13-17 Million of these probably won't buy the 2nd PSP because of the lack of additional Feautures.

I'm personaly annoyed with this , I feel my needs as a customer are being ignored , It used to be super cool to have a PSP where I live but now i'll look like a 'tard because I don't have the newest version of the PSP ( despite the fact that it's not much better at all).

yeah, I think the fat PSP owners are slowly being squeezed out:S

that's just too bad!

Veskgar
July 14th, 2007, 14:59
Although that was a pretty vague quote, it is ridiculous of SONY to think that everyone or most who bought the original PSP is going to run out and get this redesign. SONY has shipped (not sold mind you) 25 million PSP units worldwide so far.

It does suck that they will no longer be manufacturing the older PSP's. Now I know why they haven't released other colors in North America. I just wonder when manufacturing will actually cease. They would want to use the materials purchased that are used in the manufacturing of the current model. So will we see the end of the current PSP in September, October, November, etc.???

Or even worse than a gradual phase out...... Will SONY actually pull the old PSP off the shelves in September in some sort of recall making it extinct in the retail market?

I can't help but wonder if this is the"new "unhackable" PSP with unhackable firmware that SONY was rumored to be putting in stores to replace current ones. We heard about that a couple months ago. Maybe SONY decided to delay that until September.

Also, I hate to compare the PSP to the DS again but Nintendo didn't leave the owners of the DS Phat in the dust when the DS Lite came out. All games and features work the same on the DS Phat as they do on the DS Lite. Will we be able to say the same for this new PSP compared to the original?

SONY should lower the price of current PSP's to $149.99 and give consumers a choice when the redesign is released.

This all could be a blessing in disguise as it already appears that this may be yet another move to piss off consumers and fans of the Playstation brand. It may give birth to a vigorous campaign to hack the new PSP unlike anything we've seen before. SONY is being way too aggressive and heavy handed and that only breeds counter aggression from an angry and talented homebrew community who will stop at nothing to unlock and have freedom with a product we pay our hard earned money for.

How many feet does SONY have left to shoot off?

Cokemusic
July 14th, 2007, 15:29
*LIGHT BULB*

The more unhackable Sony claim to make their firmware the more attention it seems to attract , I believe that people like to annoy large companies and destroy their attempts to increase security in an situation. This new "Unhackable firmware" could bring a surge of new coders and hackers into the community.

Imagine "3.6 Downgrader By the "Russian Hackers"

Old PSP Download Link
New PSP Download Link"

If the new PSP attracts the same kinda attention that the DS lite did then we could potentialy be looking at an amazing community , Sony could have actually made a costly move by release a newer model.

Shadowblind
July 14th, 2007, 15:41
Yes, but still: WHY BUY ANOTHER PSP WITH TH EXACT SAME GAMES BUT SO FAR WITHOUYT ANY HOMEBREW CAPABILITIES WHEN YOU ALREADY HAVE A PSP THAT CAN DO ALL THAT?

I have to wonder: Did $$$ony force Dark_Alex out because $they knew that $they were gonna release a new P$P?

steve520
July 14th, 2007, 15:51
Really I bet the only reason is Sony wants to stop homebrew on PSP which the hacker community will probably hack the new ones to.

Accordion
July 14th, 2007, 16:22
plebs!

it was quite obvious this was the plan.

all those moaning about having to buy another PSP are foolish, this is a refinement for the sake of not ripping off existing customers.
And if third party peripherals dont work with the new unit... what did you expect, this revision isnt needed, or meant for existing customers. \Sony has no obligation to support third party hardware.

[from what i can tell both PSP versions feature a six pin port next to the audio... so who knows.]

Chameleon
July 14th, 2007, 16:38
plebs!

it was quite obvious this was the plan.

all those moaning about having to buy another PSP are foolish, this is a refinement for the sake of not ripping off existing customers.
And if third party peripherals dont work with the new unit... what did you expect, this revision isnt needed, or meant for existing customers. \Sony has no obligation to support third party hardware.

[from what i can tell both PSP versions feature a six pin port next to the audio... so who knows.]

You fail to realize one thing, Sony is suppose to uphold their product and not force their "customers" to get a revised product and banish the old one... whether it be for the homebrew user or the media center users they still have a product to uphold and they are forcing them to buy a new one by developing incompatible firmware updates... Is that fair to the average user? NO

burrito
July 14th, 2007, 17:03
I'm not buying the new one.

LilSwish722
July 14th, 2007, 17:07
Well...I'm gonna be a genius about it lol. I'm gonna keep my current PSP, and buy the core pack of the new PSP. Keep my mem stick, play homebrew on old PSP, wait for hacks on new PSP, switch mem sticks over.,..play new PSP more lol

Accordion
July 14th, 2007, 18:31
You fail to realize one thing, Sony is suppose to uphold their product and not force their "customers" to get a revised product and banish the old one... whether it be for the homebrew user or the media center users they still have a product to uphold and they are forcing them to buy a new one by developing incompatible firmware updates... Is that fair to the average user? NO

PLEB

why does SCE need to support homebrew? this is exactly the same as my point on third party peripherals, its not SCE's problem as they dont condone the use of such things.

Chameleon
July 14th, 2007, 20:51
But they do need to cater the the non- homebrew users!!!!!!

beefypotatoes
July 14th, 2007, 23:48
I don't see why some of you think this will affect old PSP users. The game format isn't changing (UMD), you will still be able to play games that come out. The new PSP doesn't have more firmware space, so you wont be left out of new features (except video out). The new PSP has more memory for the use of pre-loading UMDs for faster load times, not for games to take advantage of.

A long time ago Sony released a refined PS1. Did people who owned the old one have to buy a new one to play new games? Sony also refined the PS2. Same thing, none of the old PS2 users got hurt.

Chameleon
July 15th, 2007, 02:54
You bring up no point... ps1 and ps2 have no system software updates, and therefore if the previous versions of the system didnt satisfy the user then they could just upgrade to the revised version!!!!!

DPyro
July 15th, 2007, 03:58
If your thinking theres not gonna be any firmware updates to the old PSP in order to play the newer games, your wrong.

mike_jmg
July 15th, 2007, 04:37
this is really stupid from $ony, this new psp is sort of psp 1.5 (better than the first but not enough to make it to 2)

The point of releasing the slimmer console is having the same features on a smaller package.

with this any older psp on stock will just get more and more dust on the shelves, since everyone will be waiting for the new one (hahahha $ony you're stupid as hell)

mike_jmg
July 15th, 2007, 04:48
You bring up no point... ps1 and ps2 have no system software updates, and therefore if the previous versions of the system didnt satisfy the user then they could just upgrade to the revised version!!!!!

Actually there is some sort of point in that

I have a ps2 that is like version 1003 or something like that, a friend of mine had like 1001 and then bought another one, he gave the older one to his cousin, the new one was 1005 and he noticed that it had smaller loading times, it is also better than the slim one cause it has some issues with the ps1 memory cards.

Well my point is: sony has been doing this since before, they have improved hardware in the latest versions of their systems, it is just that with psp is more notorious because we have the FW updates and then the hardware update

CaptainMorgan4
July 15th, 2007, 05:01
Sony will probably make some deal to trade in your old PSP to get a new one, maybe to kill some homebrewers to be arrogant. I doubt it but that's if they want to force us to move to the newer model.

beefypotatoes
July 15th, 2007, 05:04
In my first paragraph I tried to explain why the old PSP should be fully capable of playing all new games and installing all new software features in the future.

My point in the second was that in the past, Sony hasn't screwed over the people who'd bought the first generation of their system. The older systems are slower, but they can still do everything the newer ones can.

Johnny Rash
July 15th, 2007, 07:06
I find it funny that so many people have anticipated the coming of a PSP2 and it's arrived...and everyone is bitching about it. The new system will be hacked!

Video_freak
July 15th, 2007, 14:36
And to all the people saying the old PSP won't get updates- Sony didn't mention the size of the PSP's flash memory for firmware storage. For all we know it's exactly the same as the old. And if it isn't, I highly doubt they will leave 15 million people or what ever out of new software features.

I think what's happening is that the people who are getting one (like me) are calm, because they know they'll have both versions anyway. But the people who aren't getting the new PSP want it, but are giving themselves reasons to not want it because they can't blow the cash on it or something. Trust me I know how that feels. I'll see something I really like but can't afford and I make myself think it sucks even though I know it doesn't.

My point is that old PSP users shouldn't feel like they'll be left out of anything. Plus, they have guaranteed homebrew (so technically, new PSP owners may be missing out, we'll see).

ICE
July 15th, 2007, 22:51
unless its hackable i wont touch it with a 10 foot pole.

Solidsnake3000
July 15th, 2007, 23:42
wat does sony mean by pulling back all old model psp's so does that mean they forgot about us?

and i think if sony does pull the psp off the shelves they should atleast let people trade in oldones for new ones and someone should hack the new psp to make it better anywway so what does that mean for us is there no more upgrades for phat psp's

mike_jmg
July 16th, 2007, 03:03
I find it funny that so many people have anticipated the coming of a PSP2 and it's arrived...and everyone is bitching about it. The new system will be hacked!

The thing is this is no way psp2, sort of 1.5 version if you ask me, that's why we're bitching

mike_jmg
July 16th, 2007, 03:03
unless its hackable i wont touch it with a 10 foot pole.

LOL :rofl:

Safari Al
July 16th, 2007, 03:06
Yeah i can see it now "I just got my new psp and i'm gonna update it everyday!" ha noobs..

callsignAPOLLO
July 16th, 2007, 08:16
Umm, I'm new here, but I have IMPORTANT NEWS! there is a new psp, just released, what does this mean for homebrew!?!?! will it be able to be downgraded? will it have some sort of build it block to prevent hombrew no matter the firmware version? Is the new psp worth getting?? decide for yourself! (http://www.gamespot.com/features/6173974/index.html?tag=topslot;title;1) this link may cease to work when gamespot next updates its cetral tab frameset, so just search gamespot for E3 info. or, go here (http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3161034) I would really like to post this as a thread, but it won't let me; I suppose because I am a new member. I've used this ssite for years I'm glad to finally be a member. I think I'm the first to post about this new PSP and what it means for the homebrew community; I believe that the new PSP will be homebrew compatible and that it will provide a fantastic boost to the PSP-homebrew and PSP-mod communities. Power to the people enjoy! ~~~(extended information)(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_Portable) (something fun)(http://www.amazon.com/Horatio-Hornblower-Collectors-Ioan-Gruffudd/dp/B000AYEIW2/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/105-0780911-7893268?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1184568971&sr=8-1) -SISKO have fun wid-it! (((I took the liberty of posting this once in every new thread, I think the importance of this new psp to homebrew is astronomical and that we simply haven't had enough dialogue anywhere in the homebrew community to reflect the importance of the new psp to the future of homebrew. I would've posted a thread but evidently I can't 'cause I'm new, hopefully this will start things moving though, I wonder, will sony release this psp with its own newest firmware, the next official update, or will it have its own line of firmware, after all it has capacities that the old psp can't ever do, the tv related features for example. -Sisko