PDA

View Full Version : Interesting things in Redesigned PSP

burrito
July 14th, 2007, 16:15
via 0okm's Blog (http://0okm.blogspot.com/2007/07/some-interest-thing-in-psp-200x.html)

it use TA-085 PCB
it has 64MB main memory
(PSP-1000 main memory is 32MB)
it can use USB to charge battery
1200mAh battery can play about 3-6hours
(same as PSP-1000, but PSP-1000 use 1800mAh battery)
can't use PSP-1000 remote in PSP-2000
TV output
WLAN switch on top

I was hoping that the new psp's battery would last longer..

Chameleon
July 14th, 2007, 16:26
too hard for him to find? LOL

and this is all pretty common information ( at least to me i guess)

-Xandu-
July 14th, 2007, 16:31
I guess 64MB main memory means that Sony won't do any more firmware updates for the old model due to its limited flash memory.

burrito
July 14th, 2007, 16:35
On 0okm's blog, he posted images to prove all of this (except for the WLAN switch part), but when this thread was moved to the News forum, wraggster deleted the images.

wraggster
the battery power is interesting, if i use my 2600mah battery i should get some great usage on the new console

Axelius
I guess 64MB main memory means that Sony won't do any more firmwares for the old model because of its 32 MB flash memory.
I hope not! Sony has been the best source for new features in the firmware, even if the firmware had to be "reorganized" a little...

wraggster
July 14th, 2007, 16:36
yeah the images didnt show up, only thing to do is attach them.

burrito
July 14th, 2007, 16:37
the battery power is interesting, if i use my 2600mah battery i should get some great usage on the new console
We aren't sure yet if the battery size will be the same. The old ds batteries don't fit in ds lites. It could be the same for psp.

wraggster
July 14th, 2007, 16:38
one worrying thing is are we to have a two tier PSP ownership one who can get full functionality out of the redesigned PSP meaning tv out and extra memory and those on older PSPs who may miss out on future games because they require the extra memory.

wraggster
July 14th, 2007, 16:39
We aren't sure yet if the battery size will be the same. The old ds batteries don't fit in ds lites. It could be the same for psp.

i didnt think about that to be honest

lilbart90
July 14th, 2007, 17:09
if sony is making the main memory 64mb, they will pretty much be forcing all psp lovers to get the slim. Sony will definitely be making more updates better and better for the new psp, and not so many important updates for our old ones. I wouldnt be surprised if they made UMDs that can only be played on the SLIM psp. Sony is intelligent, just really bad a marketing strategies....

xg917
July 14th, 2007, 17:19
"it use TA-085 PCB"

can anyone else agree that this is downgradable? lol
ta-082 - ta-086 werent supported for any version bellow 2.50 until the id storage key change. seems like sony didnt patch that. so yay im sure 1.50 is supported still, im going to get me a new psp!

nielsss
July 14th, 2007, 17:31
wrag u double posted again, that is the second time i saw u do that LMAO

PenguinMaster
July 14th, 2007, 17:36
I am not sure why 0okm thinks there is no WLAN switch. It was just moved to the top.

I think the switch on the top is the UMD door opener.

burrito
July 14th, 2007, 17:52
I think the switch on the top is the UMD door opener.
No, it is the wifi switch. Look at the video of the redesigned psp. The thing to open the umd door is just an indent. And go to 0okm's blog. One of the images labels the thing at the top the wifi switch.

Cokemusic
July 14th, 2007, 17:59
Sony won't make games that play only on the new PSP , that's suicide . The old PSP owners will still be at least the 75% majority for at least the next year so any PSP lite favourtism is still a long way off.

Another thing , i'm assuming that the PSP to PSP lite situation will be like PSP PHat to PSP slim situation , it may even turn out that the PSP lite isn't as reliable or efficient as the old one ( I know this will be true for homebrew) The slim PSP had all kinds of technical issues with it, I know the power adpater for my slim psp went faulty to months after buying it.

-Xandu-
July 14th, 2007, 18:00
I wouldnt be surprised if they made UMDs that can only be played on the SLIM psp. Sony is intelligent, just really bad a marketing strategies....

That will never happen..
Have you ever seen a Nintendo DS Lite title for example? Or a PS2 Slimline one?

Jelly4000
July 14th, 2007, 18:12
Yep, sony aren't going to make games just for the lite. They said it themselves in an interview at E3 (not that i can remember which one).

However, the new games may load faster on the slim one, as developers are told to make them work on both, the extra memory will allow more umd data to be cached.

Shoesy
July 14th, 2007, 18:38
Emmmm sorry, but the psp2 has a WLAN-switch. Its on the upper side on the left of the usb-port.

Sousanator
July 14th, 2007, 18:39
if they were going to abandon the PSP Phat, then they would have gotten rid of the UMD format

The PSP Slim will just have a few extra features

brainpan
July 14th, 2007, 18:40
I read somewhere that the extra memory was there just to improve UMD load times. I dont think Sony intends developers to use it therefore making old PSPs obsolete thus cannabilizing an already small user base. What the homebrew community does with it is another story....;)

Accordion
July 14th, 2007, 18:42
im repeating myself , but im bored so here it is:

the new PSP revision is not intended as a replacement for the older PSP, this will be the only PSP available from retail after september. the major market is not existing PSP customers.

PLease dont confuse "main memory" with "flash memory" the 64mb is the main memory for loading data, not the firmware.

It also seems possible that the main memory is split into two 32mb parts, one part will function as normal, the second will pre-load data off the disc to cut down disc load times as data will load into the ram before usual.

even if the above is wrong [and probably is] the fact this PSP revision is not a PSP2 means that all games will only use the original 32mb for the running of the game.

The_It
July 14th, 2007, 19:04
so we will be able to make it run homebrew... its just a matter of time??

Basil Zero
July 14th, 2007, 19:11
TV OUTPUT!!!!!????

Will there ever be a way for the old psp design?

Accordion
July 14th, 2007, 19:12
according* to Tretton, the extra ram for speeding up the loading need to be used by developers for that purpose... meaning current games will not use that function.

again, seeing as this PSP is the same product, not a problem.

Jetkon
July 14th, 2007, 19:18
Interesting tbh!

And I just bought the PSP a couple of months ago :).

Xcliber
July 14th, 2007, 19:35
ATTENTION!

SYSTEM memory and FLASH memory are NOT one in the same so all of you who think that 64mb of memory means bigger better Firmwares are mistaken. or visaversa, Better firmware but no faster/more demanding games or faster load times

gslop
July 14th, 2007, 23:53
im confused if i should get one now or just wait until they find a way to hack the new one then buy it:confused:

Video_freak
July 15th, 2007, 00:04

Nope, a video showed that you can use old batteries for extra juice. :thumbup:

Shiori
July 15th, 2007, 00:58
32MB of usable memory. 32MB of security. (lol)

I'm just really interested if they will swtich to the M2, like they use in all SE new phones... Will they leave duo behind in the new psp?

psp828
July 15th, 2007, 01:29
well if this new psp is hacked we may have 100% running emulators yet. and maybe even new emulators that was never thought possible on the old psp.

Nikolaos
July 15th, 2007, 03:26
32MB of usable memory. 32MB of security. (lol)

I'm just really interested if they will swtich to the M2, like they use in all SE new phones... Will they leave duo behind in the new psp?

That will be almost as bad as their battery incident.

Man
July 15th, 2007, 04:34
I might buy one, and hope to go it gets hacked, early, but im torn weather to buy one once homebrew is implemented, but i may just give in and buy one.

DragonPimpsta
July 15th, 2007, 04:36
i think the new firmware prolly requires more memory and they might have all 64mb filled anyway

xg917
July 15th, 2007, 05:33
i think the new firmware prolly requires more memory and they might have all 64mb filled anyway

Flash = 32mb
System RAM = 64mb

...big difference

Xcliber
July 15th, 2007, 06:00
Flash = 32mb
System RAM = 64mb

...big difference

THANK U:cool:

[Roger]
July 15th, 2007, 06:08
https://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/oet/forms/blobs/retrieve.cgi?attachment_id=814751&native_or_pdf=pdf

this from the FCC and it for the up and coming PSP-2001

pkmaximum
July 15th, 2007, 06:23
Hmmm I'm curious now what kind of new features we can obtain on the PSP now that the system ram is being bumped up to 64mb. How could something like this help hombrew coders, could we see N64 even more of a possibility now?!?! Is youtube support finally possible?? All these things I'm curious to find out =)

xg917
July 15th, 2007, 07:01
if any of those things are possible you will see me with a new psp..

Balthasar00
July 15th, 2007, 08:10
Hmmm I'm curious now what kind of new features we can obtain on the PSP now that the system ram is being bumped up to 64mb. How could something like this help hombrew coders, could we see N64 even more of a possibility now?!?! Is youtube support finally possible?? All these things I'm curious to find out =)

Yeah I was thinking the same.. What could Deadalus do with a extra 32mb? :D

xg917
July 15th, 2007, 08:14
Yeah I was thinking the same.. What could Deadalus do with a extra 32mb? :D

i remember strmnnrmn saying that memory was getting tight... this should definately help! :o

ish420ism
July 15th, 2007, 08:19
Flash = 32mb
System RAM = 64mb

...big difference

where is the cache for the web browser stored, and will this improve performance???:o

xg917
July 15th, 2007, 08:41
i bet im wrong. but the memory stick i think? lol
nah i dont think so..

Video_freak
July 15th, 2007, 10:13
i bet im wrong. but the memory stick i think? lol
nah i dont think so..

No it's somewhere in RAM (at least while you're using it). I doubt it but it may be possible that it stores it on the Memory Stick later for future use.

The_Ultimate_Eggman
July 15th, 2007, 16:09
So any news on a possible vidoe output dongle for psp v1 if possible ? (i know i is with some canabalising of the unit)..

Triv1um
July 15th, 2007, 16:19
Im just glad about the USB charger.

I still wont most likely get the new PSP but if i have some spare cash i will.

There just isnt enough there to over rule the no chance of homebrew.

IUnNamedI
July 15th, 2007, 17:09
heres a idea... wait to buy bricked psp lite's when everyone starts going to town on them... then take it apart for the video output... then figure out how to make it a usb accesory and Im sure a smart man could mod the board on a psp1 to have more onboard memory.... but like i said that takes a smart man

PsychoSync
July 15th, 2007, 23:47
MY BIG QUESTION: Will it be possible to use the A/V cable for TV-OUT with our old PSPs?

If not, does anybody knows why?

Thanks

Joe88
July 16th, 2007, 03:03
MY BIG QUESTION: Will it be possible to use the A/V cable for TV-OUT with our old PSPs?

Thanks

most likely

no

I dont think they would have released it like that and then release a new psp with that feature while they didnt tell anyone about the old one

however, video output plugins were found in both 3.50 and 3.51 firmware ...

Accordion
July 16th, 2007, 09:24

Thanks

seeing as both outputs are different shapes..no
but both feature six pins...