PDA

View Full Version : Lameboy v0.9 Released - GB/GBC emulator for DS

DanTheManMS
July 15th, 2007, 21:12
New release from Nutki (http://lameboy.ath.cx/?p=16):

Here it comes. Not as many fixes as I expected to put in this release, but did not want to delay it any longer. There is no change to sound core so don’t expect any improvement there.

Remember what I said about no hardware bilinear upscaling in NDS in the last note? Actually I was wrong - you can get it with some simple tricks. So now you can toggle between no scaling / nearest neighbour / bilinear with Y button.

Lameboy DS 0.9

Changelog:

* fixed: joypad register emulation (fixes Wario Blast)
* fixed: GBC hdma (fixes Pokemon Crystal graphics)
* fixed: interrupt flags emulation (fixes Bouble Bobble)
* fixed: V-blank interrupt timing (fixes Altered Space)
* fixed: split window emulation (fixes Donkey Kong graphics)
* fixed: GB timer initialization (fixes Pokemon Pinball)
* added: fake serial interrupts (fixes many early games)
* added: RTC emulation
* added: pseudo bilinear upscaling mode

RTC feature needs more explanation. I tested it with only one game - Pokemon Crystal, so it can be considered beta. The emulated time is always synchronized to NDS RTC and not affected by fast mode. It’s the same behaviour as in VBA and opposite to GNUBoy’s. Also save style is compatible to VBA, with one issue: I think there is no way to check time zone in NDS (as it is not set) so I fixed it to +2h. If your timezone is different you will get timeshift between Lameboy and VBA.

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

wraggster
July 15th, 2007, 21:16
awesome thanks for the newspost and thanks to nutki for another great release :)

blazingwolf
July 15th, 2007, 21:30
Great Release!

I like the screen expand feature and the ability to use ROMS in any folder.

Not to mention improved compatability.

Thanks Nutki!

DanTheManMS
July 15th, 2007, 21:33
The bilinear filtering makes all the difference to me. Makes it look so much better without any noticeable speed loss.

Thanks Nutki.

Echo1
July 15th, 2007, 22:11
An excellent update. Cheers.:)

pizzatacoman
July 15th, 2007, 22:41
Wow, Thanks! Hopefully more updates will add support for even more games. (like Pokemon Puzzle Challenge).

jinqui242
July 15th, 2007, 22:51
The screen zoom is some neat little eye candy. Unexpected from a homebrew emulator (the first I've seen it at least).

funem
July 15th, 2007, 23:14
Love the zoom, the bilinear looks great. Thanks for the update it rocks.

Out of interest games like Wackey Racers and Mickeys speedway flicker an awful lot. What is the cause of this.

Once agian thanks for this, look forward to the next update.

:thumbup:

fook123
July 16th, 2007, 01:35
Thank you for getting rid of the red background. . . . . it was kinda hurting my eyes a bit.

awesomedavid
July 16th, 2007, 05:48
Need some help:

I d/led 0.9 and patched it through DLDIrc and got a lameboy_sclt.nds file for my Supercard Lite DS.

When I run this on my DS it brings up a file directory with white text and a black background and on the bottom screen it says
"fat:/LAMEBOY/
> [..]"

There are two GameBoy roms (.7z) in that folder but it won't show up.

Am I using the wrong DLDI program (DLDI right click) or do I need a different type of ROM than .7z/patch the rom with some program?

pizzatacoman
July 16th, 2007, 06:43
The roms need to have a .gb or .gbc file extension.

Since those have a .7z file extenstion it means you need to unzip them using winrar.

Hyrule_boy
July 16th, 2007, 08:01
Need some help:

I d/led 0.9 and patched it through DLDIrc and got a lameboy_sclt.nds file for my Supercard Lite DS.

When I run this on my DS it brings up a file directory with white text and a black background and on the bottom screen it says
"fat:/LAMEBOY/
> [..]"

There are two GameBoy roms (.7z) in that folder but it won't show up.

Am I using the wrong DLDI program (DLDI right click) or do I need a different type of ROM than .7z/patch the rom with some program?
LOL you can't use roms that are in 7zip format or any other format besides .gbc So you need to unzip the roms with 7zip.

DanTheManMS
July 16th, 2007, 08:05
Actually if the games are less than 2 MB in size you can have them in ZIP format. Larger games must be uncompressed. But yeah, 7zip is not supported, so you'll need to extract that.

skipboris
July 16th, 2007, 08:10
Awesome release but theres one drastically needed feature: button mapping. I have NDSL and those start/select buttons are terrible! Playing start/select heavy games like all the zeldas is really annoying. Please change start and select to x and y. Or, better yet add a feature to allow custom mapping. :thumbup:

andersonoscar5
July 16th, 2007, 12:23
Sweet, glorious specs of the 11.6 millimeter device (that's frickin' thin, by the way) include a 3.5-inch 480 x 320 touchscreen display with multi-touch support and a proximity sensor to turn off the screen when it's close to your face

spam link deleted

Harshboy
July 16th, 2007, 18:52
wow, this is my favorite emulator ever. I've been using it ever since the first release and I must say it's great. Keep it up! Finally I can play my favorite Gameboy Color games on my DS.

Do you think Wireless Multiplayer Link will ever exist? That'd be pretty neat.

zauberer
July 16th, 2007, 21:26
This is amazing release, thanks for this.

Keep going your awesome work.

Thanatos 2.0
July 17th, 2007, 18:36
unzip the 7zip files, if you don't have a program for it get Winrar can work with nearly all compressing systems.

iso jussi
July 18th, 2007, 10:20
This is DLDI build right? So does this work with DLDIwiki's M3 CF DLDI, which fails read aligment test?

DanTheManMS
July 18th, 2007, 18:32
You could just try it and find out, you know.

fook123
July 19th, 2007, 02:47
you should add a built in gameshark.

Falseblue
July 19th, 2007, 06:24
Having a great upscaling and downscaling system is great in an emulator. Very happy with the release.

robman84
July 23rd, 2007, 21:55
Anyone got an M3 SD and successfully launched this? If I patch it with the M3 SD DLDI I've got it just gives me a white screen on the lower screen. If I launch it through DSOrganise it loads and works, but no sound and pressing the Y button doesn't change the scaling.

Any ideas? This is an awesome release BTW!! Thanks!

Coire
August 12th, 2007, 17:47
How do you create a savestate? I'm trying to save Laink's awakeningDX, But It doesn't work. Can anyone help?

Sir_Voe
August 12th, 2007, 18:13
How do you create a savestate? I'm trying to save Laink's awakeningDX, But It doesn't work. Can anyone help?

First, save in-game. Then you can create the save on your card by either pushing X or pushing L and R simultaneously.

mikeb
August 12th, 2007, 20:21
his site that he posted his releases on doesnt load anymore....

aparoid_x
August 15th, 2007, 09:50
Is it at all possible to save on Gameboy Color games?

I can't seem to get any to save, but regular Gameboy games (like Kirby's Adventure) save perfectly fine. (However, I can't get to load the game at all!)

What gives?

DanTheManMS
August 15th, 2007, 22:51
I've saved my game using several GBC games. You're saving in-game and then using the X button to send the updated save info to the *.sav file, right? If you do that, it should autoload the save data when you boot up the game again.

RaiderX
August 15th, 2007, 23:35
Awesome! Really glad he's working on Pokemon Crystal. Just waiting for state saves one day, this emulator is great! :thumbup:

gundamman.exe
August 20th, 2007, 17:40
this program is useless, you just need to unzip the game file for GBC gams and uploading them to ur sd cards and play like a gba game.

F2bnp
August 20th, 2007, 20:11
I'm tired of people trying to beat the shit out of other guys.There is only one solution.Either you like it either you not.If you don't just keep it to yourself and you won't hurt anyone or anyone's feelings.

lightningquickguy14
August 21st, 2007, 22:18
this program is useless, you just need to unzip the game file for GBC gams and uploading them to ur sd cards and play like a gba game.

You know, not all of us have that luxury of using SD cards.

myuusmeow
August 21st, 2007, 23:00
:rofl:
dos dot wrk w/ slt 1? datd b schwet!!!

-----------------------------------

I love this emulator, having Wario Land 2 and 3, and Pocket Bombeman on the DS just pwns. (Even though Bomberman runs at 50 FPS. :( )

DanTheManMS
August 22nd, 2007, 04:30
lightningquickguy14, do you mean you're using a NOR-based GBA flash cart? If so, you can use the FCSR method to append a virtual filesystem to this to get it working, though it may be easier to use Goomba Color instead.

iso jussi
August 25th, 2007, 10:34
Tried the newest version with M3CF, patched with PHwiki's DLDI file, and got upper white screen of death and black lower screen.

lightningquickguy14
August 25th, 2007, 20:31
lightningquickguy14, do you mean you're using a NOR-based GBA flash cart? If so, you can use the FCSR method to append a virtual filesystem to this to get it working, though it may be easier to use Goomba Color instead.

OK, thanks. I appreciate it, but I got this to work anyway. This is a great emulator, by the way. Saves work and everything.

wiggy fuzz
September 4th, 2007, 15:52
i think i'm having a problem with "LoZ Link's Awakening DX", after beating the last boss and watching the credits roll by the game hangs on "The End".it doesn't take me back to the title screen or anything - is that supposed to happen? (the FPS counter remains fluctuating between 59 and 60, so i know lameboy hasn't frozen)

i also noticed "battery" was spelled "battety" in the emulator

DanTheManMS
September 5th, 2007, 03:57
I haven't beaten the game myself, but I'd imagine that's intentional. Many games of the time did that.

Enaress
September 9th, 2007, 22:39
Speaking of that game, it seems that it wont save for me. Here is what I did. I started a fresh savefile and played all the way to the beginning of the 2nd level. I hit X to save and I stopped playing for a few minutse. I came back to play it again and I loaded my slot and I was at the beginning again when I was first waking up in the game... Why is it doing it to just this game and not any others I have? Is it because the filename is too long to load or something?

Also I'd like to see a "Save State/Load State" feature in the future, and maybe a "Reverse" feature like NESDS has (hold a button to go back in time, like a VCR but for your game).

DanTheManMS
September 9th, 2007, 23:09
You only press X to update the *.sav file. Since you never saved in-game, there was nothing to update. You save in LA by pressing A+B+Start+Select to open a menu if I'm not mistaken. After you've done that, you press X.

The rewind feature would require lots of spare RAM, which I think Lameboy is rather short of at the moment.

Enaress
September 9th, 2007, 23:31
You save in LA by pressing A+B+Start+Select to open a menu if I'm not mistaken. After you've done that, you press X.

Doh *slap self*. I had forgotten how to save in the game, it's been a while. Thanks.

wiggy fuzz
September 10th, 2007, 18:27
i say more homebrew should utilise the opera ram expansion pack, i'm sure most people have that or a slot 2 device (since GBA carts have on board ram

deatharcher
December 4th, 2007, 18:11
Thank you very much..... Ur da shit xD

kralle
December 5th, 2007, 16:43
We need an update so LSDJ works perfect :D

the_skip
January 5th, 2008, 07:10
I have been having problems using this with my mmd I have dlidi patched it but it never works, along with the other gameboy emus

DanTheManMS
January 6th, 2008, 05:26
Do you have an MMD or the MMP (the 4 GB "gigapack" one)?

Flygon
January 7th, 2008, 10:10
I have to say, apart from certain games that heavily use rastering (I'm looking at you Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets), this emulator is great.

The issue with rastering is that it flickers a whole lot, in a bad way.

But the fact that this emulator runs the game "properly" at all is great, so I must say, this emulator is great.

the_skip
January 9th, 2008, 01:09
mmd with 2 gb scan disk card

DanTheManMS
January 11th, 2008, 23:47
Try copying the data off your card and formatting it. That's the only thing I can think of unfortunately.

Some jerk
January 16th, 2008, 01:11
RTC doesn't work for me, it randomly jumps 3 hours (after 10 seconds), and after I save it turns to 8:53pm...
Anyone know why?
And when will they release another version? It's been ages!

Desolace
January 27th, 2008, 23:51
so it can run on a cyclo ds evoloution? how do i put roms on the program

DanTheManMS
January 27th, 2008, 23:53
Copy lameboy.nds to your card.
Copy your games to your card.
Launch lameboy.nds

Fairly simple.

Desolace
January 28th, 2008, 00:04
wait how do i save i clicked L+r on crystal and it restarted. what other emulators are on cyfclo

DanTheManMS
January 28th, 2008, 00:10
When you return to the rom menu, it automatically backs up the SRAM to the *.sav file. You can also do this manually with the X button if you want.

The other GBC emulators for the DS that work on the CycloDS Evolution aren't really worth looking into. If you want other systems, look at the sidebar of the DS section of DCEmu.

Desolace
January 28th, 2008, 00:25
okay thx i heard 1 snes emulator works on cyclo too. also i heard cyclos are really hard to find now is that true

DanTheManMS
January 28th, 2008, 00:50
Technically two work, but you'd be best off with SNEmulDS. CycloDS units are harder to find than usual, yes, though you should be able to find some somewhere.

starboardman
January 29th, 2008, 23:40
this method "You save in LA by pressing A+B+Start+Select to open a menu if I'm not mistaken. After you've done that, you press X." just reboots the game for me... it takes the game back to the starting screen. I can press X and it says it makes a sav file but everytime I reload a game it just starts at the beginning... what am I missing?

DanTheManMS
January 30th, 2008, 02:05
I haven't played LA in a while, but shouldn't A+B+Start+Select open up a menu where you can save the game, not reset the entire game?

starboardman
January 30th, 2008, 09:51
I haven't played LA in a while, but shouldn't A+B+Start+Select open up a menu where you can save the game, not reset the entire game?

It's the first time I've used it and it didn't open a menu for me...

mafta
February 1st, 2008, 08:14
it doesnt work on R4 :( is there any that work on R4??

DanTheManMS
February 1st, 2008, 21:59
it doesnt work on R4 :( is there any that work on R4??
Please specify your error so we can help troubleshoot it. "It doesn't work" doesn't help us figure out what's going wrong.

mafta
February 1st, 2008, 22:19
sorry nevermind i got it to work now :)

mafta
February 1st, 2008, 22:23
and um could u make a GBA emulator for DS if so how long will it take???

kralle
February 1st, 2008, 23:10
Damn im tired of all those noobs.
Read the ****ing posts and try it out!

There's no gba emulator and no one will make one, because of cheap slot 2 cards

Keitaro Urashima
February 3rd, 2008, 14:32
Thanks for releasing it.:D

Velda
February 11th, 2008, 00:07
thanks a ton for this little emu.

Is there any way to re map the start and select buttons to Y and X?

ChaoticanarchyX
February 12th, 2008, 00:34
This emulator is the shizz!!! Keep up the hard work!!

dkfan
February 18th, 2008, 02:22
I am playing Pokemon Blue on this Emulator and it works great, but Is there anyway to trade with other games, becuase i want all 151 pokemon. Also what is the point of "X" if you can save in game. I always save in game and press X just in case is this neccesary.

DanTheManMS
February 18th, 2008, 02:28
I am playing Pokemon Blue on this Emulator and it works great, but Is there anyway to trade with other games, becuase i want all 151 pokemon.
You can't trade, no.

Also what is the point of "X" if you can save in game. I always save in game and press X just in case is this neccesary.
Good thing you do, as this IS necessary. You can save in-game as much as you want, but unless you press X, the updated save info won't get written to the *.sav file on your card. Note that pressing L+R to go back to the rom menu also automatically saves it to the *.sav file.

dkfan
February 18th, 2008, 03:27
dang so i cant get all the pokemon unless i do the mew glitch but it might be hard get all the pokemon to the certain amount of special thanks for your help

mana child
February 24th, 2008, 20:45
can someone help me, i use games n music and i downloaded and patched lameboy, but it just says 0 fps in the corner and i have like 7 roms... so... what do i do?

pizzatacoman
February 25th, 2008, 00:55
Is there anyway to play Pokemon Puzzle Challenge on the DS?

Lameboy can't play it.

DanTheManMS
February 25th, 2008, 02:31
You can play Panel De Pon DS, or Planet Puzzle League as it's known in Europe/USA, which is the basic game that PPC was based off of.

You could also try emulating the game in Goomba Color, if you have a slot-2 device that is, but I don't know if the game is supported.

I would suggest trying Tetris Attack in SNEmulDS, but I know it has a cursor bug that cannot be fixed with the way SNEmulDS emulates things. The cursor rises, but the stack doesn't change until the next row is supposed to fully appear.

dave auto
February 25th, 2008, 15:16
Or try TetattDS, a very polished homebrew clone.

earthy
February 27th, 2008, 21:05
I have a problem with Super Mario Land 2.
When the game enter the Pumpkin Zone, LAMEBOY restart itself.

Does anyone have the same problem? :(

jtegnell
June 1st, 2008, 10:37
Is it possible to use Lameboy or any other GB emulator from the DS Slot-2?

I don't have an R4, but I do have a Supercard.

DanTheManMS
June 2nd, 2008, 07:04
If you get a slot-1 NoPass like a Superkey to launch the Supercard in DS mode, then you can launch Lameboy. If not, use the latest version of Goomba Color by building your games into the *.gba file with the Goomba Frontend and save-patching the *.gba file with the Supercard patcher program

jtegnell
June 2nd, 2008, 09:30
Hmmm....

Would it be better just to simply get a slot-1 card?

People here seem to say nice things about Lameboy.

DanTheManMS
June 2nd, 2008, 18:12
It's your choice, really. A slot-1 card can act as a NoPass itself, so it might be a good idea to get one and then use your Supercard for GBA-based media.

jtegnell
June 4th, 2008, 08:17
Well, I got GBC Goomba and used it to bundle a bunch of GB and GBC ROMs and put it in my slot-2 card, and I must say Goomba works like a charm!

It saves just like a GBA ROM on the SuperCard, no tricks, nothing extra to do.

Goomba gets the 2 big thumbs up!

DanTheManMS
June 5th, 2008, 04:52
Glad you got it working. Be sure to look into the Speedhacks menu if your games start slowing down. In particular, changing the GBC speed from "double" to "timers" often results in a huge speed increase if it's not already at full speed.

cag93
September 21st, 2008, 22:12
I Love You

BibleMan
December 29th, 2008, 00:09
Works great. A+ The only bugs I noticed were some discolorations in some spots in certain games.

It would be nice if it was set up like some of the SNES DS emus, so that you can save at any point and/or choose a different game.

Hope to see some more updates for this program soon!

Kiriashi
June 29th, 2009, 03:11
This is an awesome program! Thanks soooo much.

I downloaded it awhile ago from another site but never understood how to save. Now, after reading this topic, I have discovered how.

Now I can enjoy Pokemon Crystal with the comfort of my DS.

Thanks again!

Blitz913
June 29th, 2009, 23:29
how do u get the emulator patched? mine's isnt and its not working.

Dark10
August 28th, 2010, 02:05
can like anyone give me the link to download ds r4??