PDA

View Full Version : The PSP Slim Detail Breakdown

Shrygue
July 16th, 2007, 20:15
via Kotaku (http://kotaku.com/gaming/new-details/the-psp-slim-detail-breakdown-278897.php)

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/9/2007/07/pspguts1-thumb.JPG

Gizmodo (http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/ooohh/new-psp-details-uncovered-278754.php) dug up the FCC filings for the new PSP, PSP-2000. Isn't that the greatest model number ever? The manuals and such have a bit of new details buried in them which they, and I, were able to dig up. Most importantly though, are the specific size and weight details:

The current PSP is 170mm x 74 mm x 23 mm and weighs about 230 grams with the battery in, while the new PSP is 169.4 mm x 71 mm x 18.6 mm and weighs 189 grams.

The new PSP (PSP-2000) doesn't come with a Remote Control and you can't use the original PSP's remote with it.
You can charge the PSP with a USB cable. (It takes about two hours, 20 minutes to charge with AC and five with USB)
Display button: Pressing it changes between three levels of brightness, holding it for more than one second turns off the backlight and holding for more than five switches to video output.
Its TA-085 PCB motherboard is homebrew-conducive.
The battery has been shrunk from 1800mAh to 1200mAh, but retains hour rating.
WLAN switch has been relocated to top.
TV-out cable is not included.
USB cable is not included.

steve520
July 16th, 2007, 20:16
Wow it looks way different than the old psp's insides.

lilbart90
July 16th, 2007, 20:25
what does homebrew conducive mean??

And for that matter, it looks really organized in there, i cant wait to get one to see how i can mod it :D

JAKETHESNAKE28
July 16th, 2007, 20:29
you what does it mean. I was going to ask the same ?

burrito
July 16th, 2007, 20:44
Its TA-085 PCB motherboard is homebrew-conducive.
Probably means that homebrew on a TA-085 works when the idstorage is patched. But an exploit will first need found for the firmware it will come out with.

xg917
July 16th, 2007, 20:56
Probably means that homebrew on a TA-085 works when the idstorage is patched. But an exploit will first need found for the firmware it will come out with.

thats exactly what i said a while ago:

"it use TA-085 PCB"

can anyone else agree that this is downgradable? lol
ta-082 - ta-086 werent supported for any version bellow 2.50 until the id storage key change. seems like sony didnt patch that. so yay im sure 1.50 is supported still, im going to get me a new psp!

NoQuarter
July 16th, 2007, 20:59
I actually am kinda dissapointed the wifi card is no longer removable...
Well I hope the antenna isn't soldered on the board!
We definitely lost all of that wonderfull space behind the wifi card that was great for modding.
Maybe we can use the slimmer screens in the old psp to free up some more room in the old psp.
Funny thing sony never made use of the IR port,guess they decided IR is on the way out :(
That's okay I have 3 old psp's all hacked and some physically modded and wil probably pick up a slim and take it apart. :P
sorry for the broken thoughts,very busy these days...

xg917
July 16th, 2007, 21:05
what did u mod after taking out the wifi card

NoQuarter
July 16th, 2007, 21:11
the antenna,next I'm adding a adaptor so I can use a cantenna I just picked up. Cantenna+psp+targuskeyboard=psp heaven. A psp is almost a viable replacement for a laptop,at least in my case.I do all the heavy stuff at home.
...mac address...

Axelius
July 16th, 2007, 21:31
Funny thing sony never made use of the IR port,guess they decided IR is on the way out :(

Just the same as with the old Gameboy Color. It had an IR-Port, but the was barely one game that used it...
The new SlimPSP isn't as great as I expected it to be, just a little slimmer...The only thing that sounds good is the TV-Out. But I hope some hackers will find a way to connect the old PSP to the TV or at least PC-Monitor.

Actually it is good that the new PSP isn't really different. Thus I do not have to buy a new one :thumbup:

:thumbup: OLD PSP FOREVER!!!:thumbup:

ExcruciationX
July 16th, 2007, 21:36
Homebrew conductive, eh?

I would buy one, except I have an almost brand new PSP (downgraded from 3.03, upgraded to 3.40 OE-A; I take recently discovered delight in downgrading).

Hopefully my old PSP is at Man's residence?

NoQuarter
Axelius,we can already hook the psp up to a monitor using the psptoolchain.You just need a computer and os to go with it.
On the IR subject, it's ahmazing what ahman did with IRSHELL and sony did nothing with it,NOTHING, no universal remote ,nada.What's the deal sony?Ahman might have to rename his app... if he keeps releasing.
The psp has been a hackers and modders dream konsole,let's hope that doesn't change in regards to the psp slim.

Buddy4point0
it says the smaller battery still gives out the same time as the old one, is it the same size? if so ill use my old psp battery with it and get even more battery life

NoQuarter
July 16th, 2007, 21:46
ya know some cell phone batteries are 3.6v too.

Safari Al
July 16th, 2007, 21:53
wow so there is a chance of homebrew on this.

xg917
July 16th, 2007, 21:59
how stupid is sony.. it seems that they still want homebrew on the new psp. otherwise they wouldve updated the MOBO to TA-087 or something. but lucky for us its 085

Axelius
July 16th, 2007, 22:14
Axelius,we can already hook the psp up to a monitor using the psptoolchain.
Really? I only knew this (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=62692) But this seems very complicated...But, whatever, then this new TV-Out-Feature is just like many things: Stolen by Sony from homebrew-coders

firedragon_jing
July 16th, 2007, 22:38
Has it been confirmed yet that it's just the new Slim with TV output, because that seems more like something that a firmware update could do, maybe they'll release cabling for both new and old PSPs.

Triv1um
July 16th, 2007, 22:47
Has it been confirmed yet that it's just the new Slim with TV output, because that seems more like something that a firmware update could do, maybe they'll release cabling for both new and old PSPs.

You know what Sony are like, they will try and scrap the old one and only support the new one.

Shiori
July 16th, 2007, 23:19
Only three worldwide uses for IR.

1. TV remotes.

2. Growing Plants.

3. Overly sized annoying watches that can also control things.

- My psp is psp-1000, it has had heavy use is old and is still going stronger than ever.

PsychoSync
July 16th, 2007, 23:20
If they don't make TV-OUT cables for the old model, then maybe ye can make one ourself.

Though i wonder if TV-OUT feature works only with new hardware that sony put in the slim PSP or the old ones already have the required hardware.

Is there more pins on the Slim PSP's serial port or as much as the old one?

firedragon_jing
July 16th, 2007, 23:28
Only three worldwide uses for IR.

1. TV remotes.

2. Growing Plants.

3. Overly sized annoying watches that can also control things.

- My psp is psp-1000, it has had heavy use is old and is still going stronger than ever.
You guys are forgetting one of the most valuable features of the iR port made used by homebrew apps, iR Keyboard support. ZX has been updating several apps to use an iR Keyboard, and non of them will work on the new PSP if it is ever hacked. Which means no keyboard support at all for the new PSPs unless Sony finally puts out there own, like they showed at E3 a few couple years ago.

xg917
July 16th, 2007, 23:31
i heard that the TV out put only works on HDTV.. is this true or does it work on all other tvs..

firedragon_jing
July 16th, 2007, 23:37
I hope it works on all TVs, we just had to return our HDTV, and are stuck again in the world of Low-Def television.

NoQuarter
July 17th, 2007, 00:01
I definitley did not forget about the IR keyboard but the overall industry trend seems to be moving away from IR and using more rf based stuff like bluetooth and various wifi types.That brings to mind why didin't sony use a faster wifi like g instead of b,it's been around for a while !?

ish420ism
July 17th, 2007, 00:48
i heard that the TV out put only works on HDTV.. is this true or does it work on all other tvs..

It should work on older rca input TVs. Yellow,red,white connections. It may actually look better on an older tv, than on a hdtv. on hdtv you might see the pixels, on older tvs, it just the right rez:thumbup:

Cokemusic
July 17th, 2007, 00:54
It should work on older rca input TVs. Yellow,red,white connections. It may actually look better on an older tv, than on a hdtv. on hdtv you might see the pixels, on older tvs, it just the right rez:thumbup:

There's no point in high rez PSP video out.

ExcruciationX
July 17th, 2007, 01:16
You can also use Infared to control stop lights (illegally).

NoQuarter
July 17th, 2007, 01:29
lol,probably couldn't do that with a psp unless you had some amplification.
The IR port is all the more reason to never get rid of my original psp's.
The video out is a good new feature though.If it is coming with 3.5 preloaded I wonder if the lumines exploit will still work,I mean they probably already have a few boxed up and ready to ship.

Jonesyxxiv
July 17th, 2007, 03:03
I used the ir remotes built into irshell. but only rarly and only to fool around. I might buy a slim PSP but only if some good games come out that wont run on my PSP.

Psyberjock
July 17th, 2007, 03:24
I don't think the PSP is going to be homebrewable JUST because the motherboard's number is TA-085. Yes it is a smaller number than 86, but that doesn't mean anything. It's obviously a very different board. Things have been moved to completely different places. I don't think this is going to be what you guys are expecting. Maybe Sony is hoping that they can fool people into buying it by making the number 85 and giving them a false hope of immediate homebrew.

Personally I don't think it will be as simple changing the idstorages. There're going to be extra safeguards that haven't been around yet.

Numbers can be very arbitrary things at times.

cypressice
July 17th, 2007, 04:49
well i can understand that they don't condone hombrew for copy protection reasons but they have to know how much of a financial hit they would take without us (the homebrew community). im not stealing isos, every game i have i have bought the umd. and those games are ok but without the homebrew on my psp i would never play it and i damn sure would have never gotten any of my friends to invest in one.

as far as the new psp, tv out sounds kinda kewl but only so i can play my old SNES games on the tv, but im not made of money and i can't just go out and buy another psp so hopefully the old psp will be just as compatible with everything (except TV out :( )

i just wonder how the improved flash space will tie in the it all, unless is was a just to be safe thing.

mike_jmg
July 17th, 2007, 05:21
Is there more pins on the Slim PSP's serial port or as much as the old one?

Sadly there are more pins on the new model, maybe through some mods tv-out could be achieved

r2works
July 17th, 2007, 05:39
where's the Bluetooth? A slimmer size and TV output just doesn't seem enough to upgrade.

xg917
July 17th, 2007, 06:11
bluetooth wouldve been a great addition...

Psyberjock
July 17th, 2007, 08:26
Sadly there are more pins on the new model, maybe through some mods tv-out could be achieved

Well, there is already a mod that gives you video out. Its the PSP2TV thing or whatever. You have to change the case of your psp so it slides into the little cradle and it costs a lot, but it's there. Maybe we could figure out how to do it without having to buy that thing. Then it would be a cool little mod. Maybe just figuring out how to pull the signal from the right pins on the ribbon connector.

It would be something worth researching.

i just wonder how the improved flash space will tie in the it all, unless is was a just to be safe thing.

There is no expanded flash memory. This has been repeated many times. The RAM has been increased to 64 Mb. (main memory means RAM) The flash memory remains at 32Mb.

Video_freak
July 17th, 2007, 13:18
I uploaded these files a couple of days ago and no one gave a rat's ass when I posted it. :(

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=68589

Man
July 17th, 2007, 14:16
Good job video freak, that should be front page !

drEDN4wt
July 17th, 2007, 22:09
so where do you plug in the headset?

and is it actually still a serial port or just av?

and is this a direct result of deniska's success with 3rd party gps recievers?

edit:
oh you there is a remote just for the lite, sold seperatly.
so i guess it is a serial port.