PDA

View Full Version : PSP Slim officially gets TV Tuner

bandit
July 17th, 2007, 16:25
With the launch of the official PSP Slim in Japan, Sony will also be releasing a digital TV tuner attachment for the PSP which will be priced at $57 USD (converted price from YEN).

I hope Sony is not screwing over the first adopters of the PSP. These new gadgets better work with the original PSP.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa112/dcemureviews/pspseg1a.jpg (http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa112/dcemureviews/pspseg1.jpg)

DIGG THIS NEWS (http://digg.com/gaming_news/PSP_Slim_officially_gets_TV_Tuner)

http://digg.com/gaming_news/PSP_Slim_officially_gets_TV_Tuner

Hiei311
July 17th, 2007, 16:56
i wounder what type of signal it uses , most likely wifi but get boring channles ehhhhh i would buy it but well there be a tv tuner fee for channles??? is soooo well i be able to hook up tv?????

burrito
July 17th, 2007, 17:05
No, it won't use wifi. It will be like one of those portable 2" tv's they sell at Best Buy. It will work with a few crappy channels. Nothing good.

Dickhead
July 17th, 2007, 17:10
I hope its Freeview compatable as the UK are all going digital Freeview TV very soon. If it is then its a very good move from sony as in the UK theres hardly any portable freeview receivers for sale and it could be used when we go camping or in a caravan etc. If its compatable with my old psp then yes i will get one. PS IT REMINDS ME OF THE OLD SEGA GAMEGEAR TV TUNER!

mike03$$$
July 17th, 2007, 17:38
forget this we can make a homebrew tv tuner with our gps device to capture direct tv channels or dish channels that would be a good idea

Boopop
July 17th, 2007, 17:40
Japan uses a different DVB standard than us in the UK.

mike_jmg
July 17th, 2007, 18:16
kind of good if you're away from home tv, not that I'm specialy eager to get this but I hope it also works with the original psp

Shrygue
July 17th, 2007, 18:17
$57 equates to about £28, although folks in the UK will probably be make to pay something like £35-£40. I wonder if a TV licence will be needed, like normal television sets?

luis_05
July 17th, 2007, 18:32
this is sweet ill hold judgement until more is known :-)

jimjamjahaa
July 17th, 2007, 18:48
if it has a digital reciever i am sold! that will be beyond awesome

dunno/care about the us but free to air digital channels in the uk are brilliant.

BrooksyX
July 17th, 2007, 18:51
This is a cool idea for most people I guess, but I really wont benefit from this because I usually play my PSP in my room. If I want to watch TV ill just pick up my remote and turn of the TV in my room. Id rather watch TV on a 25" screen then a 4" screen.

Gold Line
July 17th, 2007, 18:53
are you sure thats the slim psp it looks like the normal one to me

mckay_95
July 17th, 2007, 18:56
hey any one have any sites how to get psp universal remote for V 3.40?

jay641
July 17th, 2007, 19:36
Even if it does work with the original psp I wonder if it's actually gonna end up being released in the uk?

tvrstl
July 17th, 2007, 19:44
hmm, if this doesn't work though, I kind'a wonder how this will make sony enough mony's , because developing and releasing costs.

and at this point, most PSP owners have the healthy PSP, not the anorectic version.

acn010
July 17th, 2007, 19:45
forget this we can make a homebrew tv tuner with our gps device to capture direct tv channels or dish channels that would be a good idea

that would be crazy!!!!!!!!! lmao!!!!!!!!!!!

ish420ism
July 17th, 2007, 19:59
I wonder if it's digital or analogue. and will it be compatible with the signal in the states

edit:
Never mind. It's digital. Anyway, I still wonder if it will rescale HDTV programming. That would be a lot of processing power taking place. Also, imagine software that would take the incoming DTV signal and capture it to the psps MS. Now that's an awesome idea. The PSPDVR. I LOVE the sound of that. You'd probably need a 8GB stick for something like that. OMFG, The idea is just WILD:eek: I'd get the 8GB and tuner just for that alone

burrito
July 17th, 2007, 20:26
are you sure thats the slim psp it looks like the normal one to me
It's the slim in the picture. The speakers are at the top.

hockey2112
July 17th, 2007, 20:38
I wonder if it's digital or analogue. and will it be compatible with the signal in the states

edit:
Never mind. It's digital. Anyway, I still wonder if it will rescale HDTV programming. That would be a lot of processing power taking place. Imagine software that would take the incoming DTV signal and capture it to the psps MS. Now that's an awesome idea. The PSPDVR. I LOVE the sound of that. You'd probably need a 8GB stick for something like that. OMFG, The idea is just WILD:eek:

That would be awesome! However, you would need a lot more than 8 Gigs. a 1-hour HD program is around 7-9 GB, with a 40-minute show coming in around 4 GB. Granted, often the actual show you are watching is about half that size, but stations transmit multiple subchannels on their HDTV over the air channels, so the PSP-DVR would need a setting to only capture the subchannel you actually want to capture.

CaptainMorgan4
July 17th, 2007, 20:39
When do you guys think we will get more info about this, I was planning on getting the Chotto Shot but I might just wait and see if I want this thing first. I' sure I'll end up buying both but I'm sayin whatever I get it will make my baller PSP even better (check sig).

emuking
July 17th, 2007, 21:11
it would of been better if it was built in, this is just more crap

Cokemusic
July 17th, 2007, 21:13
In the Uk it'll have to be freeview compatible considering channels 1-5 won't be availible on regular TV anymore.

brunobelo
July 17th, 2007, 21:17
If this thing works on PSP Phat (or PSPT for PSP Tijolão. Tijolão is the portuguese for "big brick"), we can put the PSP on a table and use an alternative remote control to change the channel! :-P

shedeus
July 17th, 2007, 21:49
stolen from ign

PlayStation Premiere: PSP TV
New device turns PSP into a portable television.
by Anoop Gantayat
July 17, 2007 - Sony has slowly been upping the functionality of the PSP, taking it beyond just games and movies and into, most recently, the high tech world of global positioning. But it appears that the company is just getting started.

As part of a flurry of announcements from today's PlayStation Premiere event in Tokyo, Sony Japan announced a 1Seg Tuner device for the PSP. Attach this to the PSP USB port in much the same way that you attach the GPS receiver and camera to the system now, and you'll turn the system into a portable TV that's capable of receiving digital television broadcasts.

The 1Seg Tuner will go on sale on 9/20 at a cost of 6,980 yen. It will be compatible exclusively with the new PSP-2000 redesign, so current PSP owners are out of luck.

WTF!!!???:mad:

http://psp.ign.com/articles/805/805622p1.html

Gene
July 17th, 2007, 22:21

Is that possible?

g00gy
July 18th, 2007, 00:09
id love to have that. better than the tvplayer that sony released.

ish420ism
July 18th, 2007, 00:21
I just did some more esearch on the seg1 issue. Apparently,Seg 1 is a mobile terrestrial digital audio/video and data broadcasting service in Japan. Service began experimentally during 2005 and officially on April 1, 2006.

Technical information

1seg broadcasting uses H.264 video and AAC+SBR audio encapsulated in MPEG2 Transport Stream. 1seg, like ISDB-T also uses QPSK for modulation, 2/3 FEC and 1/4 guard ratio. Total bit-rate is 416 kbit/s. Maximum video resolution is 320x240 pixels, video bitrate is 220-320 kbit/s. Audio conforms to AAC+SBR profile, with bitrate of 48-64 kbit/s. Additional data broadcasting using BML (EPG, interactive services, etc) occupies the remaining 10-100 kbit/s.
Mobile reception is difficult, especially in a moving vehicle/train, as the signal quality deteriorates quickly even at speeds around 20 km/h (12 mph). This leaves the majority of the target audience for this service unable to receive it. Handheld 1seg receivers generally do not work well at all in moving cars or trains, even when held by a window because the signal drops out every few seconds. There is minimal or no reception in trains that are underground, or go inside buildings.
Info Via http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1seg

Sounds discouraging. It seems the best place to watch it, is at home , why would Someone do that when you can just watch HDTV on a Big Screen.
Seems easier to hangout at your fave hangout spots with wifi access and kick up the PIMPSTREAMER, it's great, free, homebrew. And still one of the best solutions for streaming media to your psp. (Locationfreewhat???)

gensuke
July 18th, 2007, 01:44
$57 equates to about £28, although folks in the UK will probably be make to pay something like £35-£40. I wonder if a TV licence will be needed, like normal television sets?

According to the law every equipment or device able to receive a terrestrial TV signal needs to pay a license.

Even a metallic clothline connected to a coaxial cable.

Google about the tv license law in uk and probably you will end up in the website of a men that refuses to pay and that pointed out the clothline thing to the bbc... :)

Regards

Psyberjock
July 18th, 2007, 02:23
Not only does it not work with the older PSPs but it also runs on stupid 1seg? Sony can kiss my ass.

If I want 1seg I'll just get a new phone. With the points I have saved up at Softbank, they'd probably give me one for $5!

Oh, and that sucks about the TV licensing law in the UK. I didn't know about that. That's worse than the NHK thing here in Japan. (probably got the idea from the UK, gee thanks guys) At least with NHK if you don't pay no one does anything about it.

Uberman
July 18th, 2007, 02:42
"I hope Sony is not screwing over the first adopters of the PSP. These new gadgets better work with the original PSP."

Just count on it. They want the PSP-1000 to just go away. At least, that will be the attitude until/unless the PSP-2000 is hacked.

CaptainMorgan4
July 18th, 2007, 02:47
Yeah this new one better get hacked or they better help us and make this TV tuner compatable with our systems.

Safari Al
July 18th, 2007, 03:06
That would be the best thing ever! Th old psp should have tv out!!!!!

osgeld
July 18th, 2007, 03:58
so current PSP owners are out of luck.[/I]

**** sony, glad i got my psp for free (1000 peices in a box, works perfect not a scratch on the casing heh)

hd_
July 18th, 2007, 07:21
It probably has to do with the 64mb ram the new system has- how else would it be possible to stop old PSPs from running it?

dark heart
July 18th, 2007, 07:36
looks awesome, but yer, they'd have to be a bunch of jerks if it would require the new psp slim

tvrstl
July 18th, 2007, 10:41
It probably has to do with the 64mb ram the new system has- how else would it be possible to stop old PSPs from running it?

maybe the anorexic can also run things from usb, wich makes this not compitable with our healthy ones.

Damn, sony can just go **** them selves:(

V3N0M
July 18th, 2007, 12:37
Well I'll be picking up a PSP Slim on it's launch date. I just hope it will be hacked quick. :rofl: As for Sony screwing over the older Phat PSP I think it’s just another way for them to try to convert PSP Homebrewers over to the new console. Because it will have all this stuff that just happens to be incompatible with the older Phat PSPs. But we will see how their console holds out. I’m willing to bet that it will be hacked and running Custom Firmware and Homebrew within its first month of release!

Zin0099
July 18th, 2007, 17:34
if it has a digital reciever i am sold! that will be beyond awesome

dunno/care about the us but free to air digital channels in the uk are brilliant.

me too i'll be sold on it too
plus if we are able to record tv onto the psp that would be cool :thumbup:

Zin0099
July 18th, 2007, 17:39
That would be awesome! However, you would need a lot more than 8 Gigs. a 1-hour HD program is around 7-9 GB, with a 40-minute show coming in around 4 GB. Granted, often the actual show you are watching is about half that size, but stations transmit multiple subchannels on their HDTV over the air channels, so the PSP-DVR would need a setting to only capture the subchannel you actually want to capture.

i took my dvd 1hour anime compressed it to 350mb
sony would make a way for us to record under less quality

hockey2112
July 18th, 2007, 19:01
i took my dvd 1hour anime compressed it to 350mb
sony would make a way for us to record under less quality

DVD and HDTV are totally different things. It probably took you a bit of time to compress the DVD to 350 MB anyway, maybe as long as an hour on a slower PC. I don't think a device like the PSP would be able to take a 7-9 GB HDTV over the air signal and compress it on the fly for recording onto the PSP's memory stick... it is just not possible... it takes my fairly fast PC about 2 hours or so to convert and compress a 30-minute (3.5 GB) HDTV transport stream to a 233 MB DiVX file.

Basil Zero
July 19th, 2007, 06:33
indeed I hope we 1st adopters of the PSP get a tv tuner