PDA

View Full Version : getting windows XP on your psp (BOCHS)

murgero1
July 19th, 2007, 04:43
to get windows XP on bochs you need the embedded version of windows XP needs little minimum requirements. ram, mem, etc..
so might work and itt is not illegal since it should be free if you have evaluation ver.

jamotto
July 19th, 2007, 05:20
The embedded version of XP still requires too many resources to run on a psp.

murgero1
July 19th, 2007, 05:37
no, if you take out some apps, it will work fine because i have done this already.

jamotto
July 19th, 2007, 05:49
What exactly did you take out?

murgero1
July 19th, 2007, 06:55
windows media player, and internet explorer, i also shrunk explorer.exe, and took out the sounds of XP.
if that does not work for you then.. idk

xg917
July 19th, 2007, 07:10
so you got windows xp on your psp?

Dull Blade
July 19th, 2007, 07:13
you are trying to get xp to run on a psp, right? I dont know if this is relevent, but what about doing it with windows xp fundamentals, the req'd specs are even lower for that. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Fundamentals_for_Legacy_PCs I'm pretty sure that embeded requires 128mb of ram and a 500mhz processor, while fundamentals requires 64mb of ram and a 233 mhz processor. So perhaps it would be easier to use fundamentals.

murgero1
July 20th, 2007, 01:41
Go point never thought of that! thnx for the link

murgero1
July 20th, 2007, 02:12
where can i download winflp?

ICE
July 20th, 2007, 02:19
i want proof.

Dull Blade
July 20th, 2007, 05:05
I have no clue where you'll be able to get a copy of it, I remember a year ago or so it was on the news, and it came to mind when I saw this thread. If you search hard enough, you might beable to seek out a torrent, not really sure though.

nebulator
August 4th, 2007, 01:42
Lets say i was able to get hold of a copy of 'WinFLP', what would i do next ?

Saracchini
August 8th, 2007, 05:02
Lets say i was able to get hold of a copy of 'WinFLP', what would i do next ?

It´s easy, but dont try install Windows FLP or any other SO directly in PSP. It will take ages to install it.
The best you can do is install in Bochs in your PC and transfer the hard disk image to your PSP.

I´ll show the steps.

1)Download Bochs for PC in the official site (Google is your friend so ask him)
2)Extract the executable and place in same folder the following files - "BIOS-bochs-latest" and "VGABIOS-lgpl-latest" . It can be found with the source code files, so download then too.
3)You´ll need the program "bximage" with dont come with Bochs, only the source code so you must compile it with GCC or Microsft Visual Studio.This program is used to creat a file which will be the hard disk of the emulated PC.
4)Execute "bximage" , it will ask for the type of hard disk , i recommend "flat" type.
5)Then , it will ask the size of hard disk, for Windows FLP you´ll need abou 800 MB or more.
6)It´ll ask the name of file, anyone will be fine.
7)Finnaly it will create the file and provide a line which you must copy to put in the Bochs config file.
8)Create a text file nammed WinFLP.txt our any other.
9)Put the WinFLP disk in your Cd-ROm drive. The installation in virtual hd can be done with ISO images but i will not explain here (it´s against Dcemu rules).Just look in the Bochs site if you need.
10)Edit the WinFLP.txt putting this lines:

megs: 64
romimage: file=BIOS-bochs-latest, address=0xf0000
vgaromimage: file=VGABIOS-lgpl-latest
vga: extension=vbe
ata0-master: type=disk, path="c.img", mode=flat, cylinders=1726, heads=16, spt=63
ata0-slave: type=cdrom, path=G:, status=inserted
boot: cdrom
log: bochsout.txt
mouse: enabled=0

But the "ata0-master" line must be the line provided by bximage and the G: is my cd-rom drive, your cd rom drive letter can be other.

11)Now you are read to install. Execute Bochs and select option 2. It wil ask the name of the config file... type "WinFLP.txt"
12)Now select option 6 and install it like a PC ! :D
13)Change the line "boot:cdrom" to "boot:disk" and restart Bochs.It will boot and Win FLP will start First Agent Boot... it take ages, so it´s better do it in PC.
14)after it, close Bochs and create a file nammed "bochsrc.bxrc" and put it inside:

megs: 20
# filename of ROM images
romimage: file=ms0:/VM/BIOS-bochs-latest, address=0xf0000
vgaromimage: file=ms0:/VM/VGABIOS-lgpl-latest
vga: extension=vbe
ata0-master: type=disk, path="ms0:/VM/c.img", mode=flat, cylinders=1726, heads=16, spt=63
boot: cdrom
log: bochsout.txt
mouse: enabled=1
The parameters of "ata0-master" line ( the numbers things) must be the SAME of the WinFLP,txt
15)Create a folder nammed "VM" in root of the Memory Stick and copy inside the files "bochsrc.bxrc", "c.img","BIOS-bochs-latest" and "VGABIOS-lgpl-latest"
16)Run bochs and be very patient.I´m not sure of Win FLP will run with 20 megs of RAM ...

The same can be done with Windows 3.11 , DSL Linux (sloooooow) and Windows CE .WinCE is best suited to PSP because you can download the Hard Disk Images from Microsoft directly and legally and it have a virtual keyboard. But for this i ´ll explain in another day !

When I have some time maybe i´ll make a optimzed port of Bochs with analog stick support and keyborad since i´m a good C++ programer and Bochs is designed to be portable... but not now for a time.

sourced
August 9th, 2007, 08:09
i want proof that youve already done this. i highly doubt that you have windows xp on your psp

bah
August 9th, 2007, 08:33
Theres a difference between getting it to run (possible) and having the OS, let alone any apps, run at a usable speed (not going to happen). :)

Saracchini
August 9th, 2007, 17:42
PSP Bochs have a great limitation with memory usage... WinCE doesn run since it needs 24 MB of emulated RAM and PSPBochs allocate a maximum of 16 Mb (i think).
It's runs Win 3.11 (serial port acts weird !),95,, DSLinux, Menuet and others... the lack of keyboard is the worst thing of this Bochs... i cant select any option in Menuet boot options or login in Linux.
I havent tested Windows LPC in 16 Mb because it taken about of 8 hours to install in Bochs for PC and it runs too slow with 32 Mb allocated ( the minimum requeriments is 64 MB). Maybe it can run in 16MB but it will put a lot of things in swap and will be really unusable in PSP.
Another problem is ... you must press CTRL+ALT+DEL to login in win LPC and Bochs PSP doesnt have any of this keys !
Win LPC boots but for now is waste of time ! I dont have time to wait it finish the initialization... Maybe when PSP Slim is hacked .

mike03$$$
August 11th, 2007, 06:34
please make a youtube video as i and other people would like to see
btw i had win95 before ran awfully slow it would be nice to see a type of bochs made from ground up for psp and allow extra ram from memory card as what nintendo did with ds webrowser

Saracchini
August 14th, 2007, 06:26
I´ve deleted de disk image with windows installed so I cant make a video...and it will take more 8 hours to do a new one.
In PSP it wont pass of the initial progress bar ... with 8 MB of RAM it fails to start NTFS system and wont load , with 16 Megs it stays forever in a progress bar and reboots again... too sad ! With 32 it runs in PC but not in PSP.
I said it boots, but doesn works . Maybe with PSP Slim the things can change.
Anyway Bochs is SLOW as hell. It needs a lot of optimizarions , since it have a good documentantion and i think it can be converted with good speed . Cant use virtualization technique used in VMware with allows achieve good speed,because PSP has a MIPS processor... i need think in another aproach.

<subzero-owner>
September 5th, 2007, 00:28
How can i turn off my tv with my psp 2.81 pls send me a email @ [email protected] thanks