PDA

View Full Version : 120GB PlayStation 3 slated for Europe

wraggster
July 19th, 2007, 16:43
via inquirer (http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=41088)

SONY man David Reeves hinted a version of the PlayStation 3 in Europe could have hard drive capacity of 120GB.
He said it would not be worthwhile for punters to upgrade from 60GB to 80GB but a larger, 120GB version might be something Sony would look at. Reeves justified the fact that Sony released a Starter Pack for its PS3 rather than an actual price cut. He said that in Europe it is unnecessary to reduce the price because punters want "added value". We guess that means that in Europe, customers are dumb enough to pay what ever Sony asks.

Not only does the US get a 80GB version of the PS3 it will continue to get it cheaper while European punters have to pay over the odds for a machine which actually is cheaper to build than the version Sony flogged off to our former colony. Although we may get a 120 GB machine.

jdnation
July 19th, 2007, 17:39
I guess Sony wants to drop the price only if they can strategically place another model at the higher price. The 60 GB dropped and the 80 GB was announced to release a month after.

Maybe the 80 GB isn't feasible in Europe from Sony's point of view so until they finalize the details of the 120 GB for Europe and are ready to release that, the 60 GB price won't drop. Add to the fact that since it's been out in Europe less time due to a delay, it's possible that Sony may wait until a similar time period has passed before dropping the price to 'appease' Europe's early adopters. Until then they'll give you that bundle.

Ultima Chocochu
July 19th, 2007, 17:50
Hmm...Funny how if it is true, it matches the XBOX360 Elite's hard drive size...
Course I prefer PS3 to 360
I just think the only reason to release this is to stick it to Microsoft.