PDA

View Full Version : PS3 outsells 360 in US

Shrygue
July 19th, 2007, 20:45
via Computer and Video Games (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=168444)

PS3 outsold 360 last week in North America, following the $100 price-drop on the 60GB version.

According to stats collected on vgchartz.com, 41,005 PS3 consoles were sold in the week ending July 14, compared to 360's 35,084 sales.

Wii, meanwhile, still dominated the pack with 76,394 sales.

On Monday last week Sony cut the price of the 60GB PS3 down to $499 in the US, while confirming the release of an 80GB version in August.

The drop seems to have made an impression on sales, but will it last? Sony confirmed to CVG that the 60GB console will be phased out in favour of the $600, 80GB version after July. We'll see what happens then...

Ultima Chocochu
July 19th, 2007, 20:57
That's awesome news
I just don't see the point of phasing out the 60 GB
If they were to release the 120 GB like rumored, I could see why then but I honestly can't figure out why now.

DarthPaul
July 20th, 2007, 04:36
Take that Microsoft! :D
Sony forever!

ICE
July 20th, 2007, 04:39
and wii outsells them both combined ahahahaha!!

$500 is too too much for a videogame/blueray player.
ps3 is blurring the the line between pc and console and i for one dont like it. pc will always have better graphics and more crap to do and will only be a little more.

AvengedSevenfold Fan
July 20th, 2007, 04:54
360 is way better, which is suprising, cuz the rest of M$ sucks.

ICE
July 20th, 2007, 05:20
ps3 is more powerful and it does more out of the box.

ElRazur
July 20th, 2007, 10:29
Another fanboys war coming up in this thread i guess?

reakt
July 20th, 2007, 11:53
360 is way better, which is suprising, cuz the rest of M$ sucks.

wtf dude! Dark_Alex isn't dead! He's just found something else to do! Who knows, maybe he got a girlfriend or something? Good coders come and go. He worked very hard and there's simply s no way he could have kept it up forever.

emuking
July 20th, 2007, 12:06
meh 360 is still better

Demibeard
July 20th, 2007, 20:05
Yawn, if I wanted to play PGR I would have bought a 360, as it is I want to play GT, although as the 'Elite' is coming out soon I might be tempted, there's a spare HDMI port on my amplifier. But could I really put up with only 720p? :-)

ICE
July 20th, 2007, 20:16
i dont own either nor do i want either lol.
im just stating that in raw power ps3 wins.

Gold Line
July 20th, 2007, 20:43
who would you buy a ps3?

1. the price is too f***ing high.
2. its much harder to make game's for the ps3.
3. "but its a bluray player" my ASS who cares, you but a GAME console to play GAMES.
4. the 360 games look better and the wii games are more fun to play.
5. the only good games will be MGS4 and final fantasy...is that it!

Shadowblind
July 20th, 2007, 21:21
:rofl:

Congratulations, PS3! For one week you ACTUALLY beat something! ONE whole amazing WEEK! WOW! This means that up to this point, the PS3 has hardly EVER out-selled the 360 for a week. Hasnt the 360 been out for a YEAR longer?

ElRazur
July 20th, 2007, 23:06
who would you buy a ps3?

1. the price is too f***ing high.
2. its much harder to make game's for the ps3.
3. "but its a bluray player" my ASS who cares, you but a GAME console to play GAMES.
4. the 360 games look better and the wii games are more fun to play.
5. the only good games will be MGS4 and final fantasy...is that it!

Oh please. Go away or something. I cant be bothered arguing with people with such views.

ICE
July 20th, 2007, 23:30
Oh please. Go away or something. I cant be bothered arguing with people with such views.

well lets face the facts here. ps3 is overpriced for the average-moderate gamer.
ps3 is indeed the most complicated machine for dev's to work with in history. thats why so many games got delayed.
ps3 will never be the mainstream system that ps2 was because of the fact that its install base will never be anything to brag about.
if you like what sony does ps3 and want a media hub ps3 is great.

360 is geared towards to 17-25 year old gamer and they do that very well. lots of shooters and... well 75% of their games are shooters lol. but hey thats what they're demographic wants so they give it to them. if you want depth in your library 360 prolly isnt your thing. by depth i mean original ideas, platformers and non-shooters.

DPyro
July 21st, 2007, 03:34
PS3 is easier to work with than PS2 was. The only complaint devs should have is that the costs for development have gone up. I'm sure once more PS3's are sold the devs will jump right back on board, and the PS3 will catch up to X360.

xg917
July 21st, 2007, 03:41
360 is a cheap piece of shit. all of my friends have it and broke it. dam microsoft cant put a fuking fan on their equipment..

ICE
July 21st, 2007, 03:44
PS3 is easier to work with than PS2 was. The only complaint devs should have is that the costs for development have gone up. I'm sure once more PS3's are sold the devs will jump right back on board, and the PS3 will catch up to X360.

ive read that ps3 is the most complicated yet for devs to work with.
anywho not that i dont think that ps3 is superior to the 360 in almost every way i still think its wishful thinking to say that ps3 will catch up with 360. its ALL about install base and due to the price tag i dont see the install base getting real big for the ps3.
small base means weary devs. why make a game for a console no one has..

DPyro
July 21st, 2007, 03:46
PS3 will get cheaper and games people want will come out. A lot can change in a year, look at Xbox 360 a year ago...

ICE
July 21st, 2007, 03:51
im not sure that ps3 prices will drop enough. didnt it cost $800 to make a ps3? im sure its down now but still.. they cant drop the price much more than they have until manufacturing costs drop.

DPyro
July 21st, 2007, 03:57
PS3 production costs are only predictions from analysts. They predicted Sony would originally be selling the PS3 for $800 USD at launch. Sony has been really pushing to cut costs by removing the Emotion Engine, and making smaller chips - CPU etc.

ICE
July 21st, 2007, 04:02
if they can get the price down to that of 360 or at least close to it ps3 will do just fine. right now their at a point where most people will see the ps3 as being not worth the cash.

DPyro
July 21st, 2007, 04:04
if they can get the price down to that of 360 or at least close to it ps3 will do just fine. right now their at a point where most people will see the ps3 as being not worth the cash.

It's already at the price of Xbox 360 here in Canada.

ICE
July 21st, 2007, 04:29
is the 360 more expensive there or is the ps3 cheaper?

DPyro
July 21st, 2007, 05:20
PS3 and Xbox 360 Elite cost the exact same price.

ICE
July 21st, 2007, 05:30
the elite has the same problems ps3 does only if it doesnt sell it doesnt matter because the normal 360 is still doing ok. elite is an option. its not the only thing you've got to choose from.

Ultima Chocochu
July 21st, 2007, 05:36
Gah, I wanna know why the 360 is supposedly better than a PS3?
Seriously
What does it have going for it besides Halo?
And Gears of War?
WHICH I still think Halo is over-rated, but really
What makes it better?

Yeah the PS3 is more expensive and has no good games out, but there is a decent amount of games coming out 2008

I think PS3 just needs some time, get some good exclusives and it'll be back on top(or almost there).

ICE
July 21st, 2007, 05:39
halo is over rated. its a generic shooter with tight controls. wow.
gears is pretty great.
360= all shooters. REAL gamers need more than that.

it seems clear to even those wii haters that it will be on top. it might not be the best but lets just face it guys. its like the ds. psp is better but ds is TRASHING psp. ps3 MIGHT be better in the future but it doesnt matter because wii is and will continue to trash the competition. like or hate it. its the reality..

DPyro
July 21st, 2007, 05:43
I don't consider Wii competition. It's more of a side dish before the main meal. Might be why so many people own one.

ICE
July 21st, 2007, 05:50
I don't consider Wii competition. It's more of a side dish before the main meal. Might be why so many people own one.

the thing is the market really isnt that hungry. they dont want a huge meal of gaming as much as they just want a sweet piece of gaming pie.

the wii. its appealing, its casual when it needs to be, its hardcore when it needs it (mps, smg, ssbb, bwii.. etc) and its not $400-up!!:D

Ultima Chocochu
July 21st, 2007, 06:00
halo is over rated. its a generic shooter with tight controls. wow.
gears is pretty great.
360= all shooters. REAL gamers need more than that.

it seems clear to even those wii haters that it will be on top. it might not be the best but lets just face it guys. its like the ds. psp is better but ds is TRASHING psp. ps3 MIGHT be better in the future but it doesnt matter because wii is and will continue to trash the competition. like or hate it. its the reality..

One word
Amen
Another thing is 360 owners can only say for soo long that the graphics are better, because the next(or a future) firmware release is suppose to raise video/audio 30-40%
I think PS3 just need's a long time to get going
I also expect Wii to be on top for a LONG time

I'm not soo sure about that
The Wii isn't soo amazing on the power side
But it has many exclusives gamers know and love
THE only time the Wii might go on the down-side is when they don't have any new Mario, Zelda, Pokemon or other Nintendo exclusives coming out.

DPyro
July 21st, 2007, 15:42
I'm not soo sure about that
The Wii isn't soo amazing on the power side
But it has many exclusives gamers know and love
THE only time the Wii might go on the down-side is when they don't have any new Mario, Zelda, Pokemon or other Nintendo exclusives coming out.

The problem is, all the gamecube really had was 1st party games to go by, and look what happened. Sure they've sold tons of console this time, but if they still only have 1st party games they better be good. So far, all the 3rd party games have been thrown together in order to make a buck or two. Nothing has really utilized the Wii Remote well with a few exceptions...

ICE
July 21st, 2007, 15:47
The problem is, all the gamecube really had was 1st party games to go by, and look what happened. Sure they've sold tons of console this time, but if they still only have 1st party games they better be good. So far, all the 3rd party games have been thrown together in order to make a buck or two. Nothing has really utilized the Wii Remote well with a few exceptions...

what do devs want? success. the gamecubes problem was that no one had one. it simply wouldnt make sense for 3rd party publishers to put forth any effort to make games for a system no one had.

the wii has been sold out woldwide since its release so its safe to say that install base will not be a problem for wii.

at this rate the wii will be the best selling console of this generation VERY soon. i think it would be a bit naive to think that 3rd party publishers arent going to make games for the wii. theres reason for them not to..

Cap'n 1time
July 21st, 2007, 15:57

That is sort of why it is the competition. It isnt really in the same class as the 360 and the PS3 in terms of games, graphics, and all that jazz, I'll give you that. In terms of sales, however, it seems to be dominating at the moment.

Accordion
July 21st, 2007, 16:36
i try not to pay much attention to the sales trends and competition. All i care about are the games being released by christmas and onwards and what i think has been the best launch games in a long time with Resistance and Motorstorm being outstanding titles.

Little big planet, MGS4, Folklore, Uncharted, Ratchet, Lair[?], Heavenly Sword, Unreal[mouse control on 40inch screen!], etc.

my memorys a bit fuzzy, but i can remember the PS2 having such an array of games within the same time.

ICE
July 21st, 2007, 16:45
i really dont see most of those as being very big. little big planet looks fun and mgs4 of course is great along with lair and ratchet but the rest is kinda meh for me..

if you want to talk about big titles coming out at once thats kinda the wii's thing right now with MP3 (dubbed as having the best controls of any fps console game ever), SMG, SSBB, zack and wiki (the return of the point and click adventure!) wii fit, bwii, RE:UC, plus SEVERAL more that i am looking forward to like endless ocean and nights.

maybe you think that some of those arent any good but you have to concede that the big 3 are going to be huge and the fact that their all coming out in a 4 month period is insane.

Accordion
July 21st, 2007, 17:47
i dont want to go down the path of console wars… but i could not resist posting this video.

step game!

http://www.youtube.com/v/_iYBmAVuBns

ICE
July 21st, 2007, 17:53
lol you do realize that wii fit will pretty much solidify the wii's dominance right? im not too keen on it but come on its going to be HUGE.
i want a tony hawk or ssx that uses the balance board.

Accordion
July 21st, 2007, 17:58
lol you do realize that wii fit will pretty much solidify the wii's dominance right? im not too keen on it but come on its going to be HUGE.
i want a tony hawk or ssx that uses the balance board.

like i said, im not concerned with who makes the most money or sells the most consoles, as far as i am concerned i have a brilliant media player with Blu ray movies, a great line up of games for the next year consisting of more than i can afford. all i care about is new games which expand on what a game can be. the industry needs new games not sequels.[excluding ratchet, mgs, and FF, for obvious reasons.

ICE
July 21st, 2007, 18:14
fair enough. my point is just that making fun of wii fit is a bit pointless because we all know how big it will be...

like ive said all along the ps3 offers a lot and if your willing to pay its a good system. i just have a different outlook than you. i think you have to care about how a system sells because the more it sells the more 3rd party support which means more games.

ps2 had dvd so it sold like hot cakes. huge install base meant lots of 3rd party support which meant lots of successful games. thats why i care about how the wii is doing.

Gold Line
July 21st, 2007, 19:26
bulray and media thats all you hear from sony fanboys, its a game console........you use it to play games not dvds or music. but if you really need a media/game console buy a 360 its got better games now and always will.

ICE
July 21st, 2007, 19:46
its not a game system. its a media hub that plays games.

Accordion
July 21st, 2007, 20:04
its not a game system. its a media hub that plays games.

too true.

i have hundreds of photos on my hard drive, i never thought i would, but its so easy to transfer, and if anyone knows a better way to view photos than on a high definition 40 inch plus screen i would like to know.

@goldline:
the ps2 was a DVD player for many buyers, consoles functioning as other forms of entertainment is nothing new, and the added connections which are included which can also be used by games is never a bad thing

of course the price is still an issue, though the current £425 for console, two games, two controllers is very good, i paid about the same for my PS2 at launch…

Gold Line
July 21st, 2007, 20:14
too true.

i have hundreds of photos on my hard drive, i never thought i would, but its so easy to transfer, and if anyone knows a better way to view photos than on a high definition 40 inch plus screen i would like to know.

@goldline:
the ps2 was a DVD player for many buyers, consoles functioning as other forms of entertainment is nothing new, and the added connections which are included which can also be used by games is never a bad thing

of course the price is still an issue, though the current £425 for console, two games, two controllers is very good, i paid about the same for my PS2 at launch…

wrong. people never bought the ps2 because its a dvd player they bought the ps2 to play games, the ps2 was a great gaming console and thats why the ps3 cant sell because its not a gaming console its just an over priced media thing.

Kramer
July 21st, 2007, 20:39
wrong. people never bought the ps2 because its a dvd player they bought the ps2 to play games, the ps2 was a great gaming console and thats why the ps3 cant sell because its not a gaming console its just an over priced media thing.

I didnt buy my PS2 as a DVD player but it made it a much better purchase.

Anyway it's way too early to tell who comes out the best console this gen, my prediction is that PS3 will soon get some good games and the people that now bash the PS3 will later want one. As for the Wii im not sure I dont think it would be the serious gamers console of choice but it's cool none the less.

Also the 360 isnt just FPS it has much more than that, it has plenty of good games but for some reason people think it only has good FPS it pisses me off:mad:

Gold Line
July 21st, 2007, 20:42
Also the 360 isnt just FPS it has much more than that, it has plenty of good games but for some reason people think it only has good FPS it pisses me off:mad:

yep only ps3 fans say that because they must defend sony no matter what.

Shadowblind
July 21st, 2007, 22:48
360 is a cheap piece of shit. all of my friends have it and broke it. dam microsoft cant put a fuking fan on their equipment..

Hey, uh, buddy?

They did.

They also gave all 360s a 3 year warrenty.

Must be a pain not to be able to use that as an excuse now, huh.

Im a little annoyed because mine broke about 2 months ago. But ya know what? If I didn't try to open it like an idiot, I would have 2 360s. Its not Microsofts fault anymore.

Gah, I wanna know why the 360 is supposedly better than a PS3?
Seriously
What does it have going for it besides Halo?
And Gears of War?
WHICH I still think Halo is over-rated, but really
What makes it better?

Bioshock.
Mass Effect.
Fable 2
Halo 3 (I dont really like halo)
Warriors Orochi.

If I cared more I'd go down a much longer list. Not to mention all the used-2-B Sony exclusives coming to 360.

better question: What makes you THINK the PS3 is better?

Accordion
July 21st, 2007, 23:23

have you even played any PS3 games?

ever seen a full HD movie?

i understand the many faults of the PS3, but its integrity as a games console is definitely not one of them.

Cap'n 1time
July 22nd, 2007, 00:03
have you even played any PS3 games?

ever seen a full HD movie?

i understand the many faults of the PS3, but its integrity as a games console is definitely not one of them.

Yes and Yes. Both are vastly over rated, cost way too much, and over all arnt worth it to me. Everyone varies I guess...

ICE
July 22nd, 2007, 00:04

lol im so sure that the dvd had NOTHING to do with people returning their dreamcasts for ps2's..

DPyro
July 22nd, 2007, 00:33
PS2 was my main DVD player for 5 years. It is also the reason DVD's became more popular at Blockbuster....and it's starting to happen again with Blu-ray.

ICE
July 22nd, 2007, 00:39
lol it better happen again with blueray or sony is screwed.

Ultima Chocochu
July 22nd, 2007, 01:56
Okay, the easiest way to put things
Announcing what is good about the PS3, that being Blu Ray/ect.
Doesn't make you a fan boy
Anyone could as easily claim saying the XBOX360 has better games/can do what the PS3 can or whatever can easily be claimed as a fan boy(but doesn't mean they are)

IT just means people or giving their opinions on why it's better, and showing it has more to do
Thing is
There are some games that could only possibly be made by using what the PS3 has
Same with the Wii in a sense
I'm not big on the 360 but I do like a few games
You forgot Dead Rising by the way
BUT ANYWAYS

Basically why people will probably claim a PS3 as better is because it just has a lot more too it than a 360, it doesn't have many games at the moment, but it can still do a lot more
The disc can even hold more than 360's
And how long will it be before Microsoft makes another console to just compete with Nintendo and Sony?
I'm honestly expecting 2 or more new XBOX's before a PS4.
...I talk too much.

ICE
July 22nd, 2007, 02:22
each system is so different from the next that theres not real point in comparing games.
however its still fun to point out how the wii is trouncing the rest :D

DPyro
July 22nd, 2007, 02:57
each system is so different from the next that theres not real point in comparing games.
however its still fun to point out how the wii is trouncing the rest :D
Yes, your a Wii fanboy. We know.
(I have both PS3 + Wii BTW)

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1436/582394401_7f2c78aed9.jpg

Ultima Chocochu
July 22nd, 2007, 03:21

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1436/582394401_7f2c78aed9.jpg

Is it just me, or do the Wii and PS3 seem like such good friends?
I think so.

ICE
July 22nd, 2007, 03:43

i have several issues with the wii but i have more with 360 and ps3.
my rankings go like this:
1st- wii
2nd- ps3
3rd- 360

fyi i would love to have a ps3. i just dont have the money to spend that much on anything but maybe a car lol.

DPyro
July 22nd, 2007, 03:51
I find it hard people can't afford a PS3. After 4 days of work, I completely recouped the money I spent on a PS3. Granted I don't need to pay bills at this time in my life, but if people really want something they can find a way to save the money. When I bought my PS3, I didn't even have a job.

ICE
July 22nd, 2007, 04:22
lol sorry i dont have lots of money to throw around..
i dont have a job and it would take me months to get that much money.

DPyro
July 22nd, 2007, 14:01
It took me 7 months to save up enough money to buy a PS3 without having a job, and 4 days with a job :rofl:

Accordion
July 22nd, 2007, 14:06
student loan!

Ultima Chocochu
July 23rd, 2007, 03:29
XD
I'm just asking for an 80 GB for Christmas
WOO PARENTS!
XD