PDA

View Full Version : WiiConnect24 breaking Wii consoles

Shrygue
July 19th, 2007, 20:47
via Computer and Video Games (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=168462)

WiiConnect24, a system built into Wii to keep the console constantly connected to the internet when on standby, is reported to be causing consoles to develop faults.

A number of disgruntled gamers are hitting internet forums saying their consoles have broken after being left on standby with WiiConnect24 enabled for long periods of time.

Although Nintendo says the console only consumes a tiny amount of power when in WiiConnect24 mode, supposedly comparable to a small light bulb, the console gets very hot - far hotter than when the console is on and being played - because the internal fans are deactivated in WC24 mode.

is suggested that this heat is cooking the main CPU, causing it to become faulty.

Nintendo has told CVG: "we've had no reports in the UK of anything like this happening," and advises users to contact the Nintendo Service Centre for further advice on 0870 60 60247 should a fault occur.

In the meantime, if you're worried about your Wii burning up, just deactivate WC24 - it's proved to be a non-essestial feature so far anyway.

steve520
July 19th, 2007, 21:33
Wow for real im gonna shut mine off right now.

*Layzie*
July 19th, 2007, 21:38
wow i jus chekd mine and it was pretty warm

i shut it off

Accordion
July 19th, 2007, 21:39
having the fans off in WC24 is not very clever, i noticed the overheating the first week of owning it and it got me worried.

unfortunately having connect24 turned off seems to disable all the non-gaming functions of the console like news and weather.

BlueCrab
July 19th, 2007, 21:43
As long as the room its in isn't extremely hot (i.e., hotter than the Wii, since then heat won't escape), I don't see how it could cause widespread problems.

In order to actually fry the CPU, it would likely have to get to quite a hot temperature, a temperature that shouldn't be reached if the system is operated within the stated temperature ranges.

I've left my Wii in WiiConnect24 mode the whole time I've owned it, and I haven't had any problems (I have a release day model, by the way).

Junixx
July 19th, 2007, 23:15
I haven't had this problem at all....

-Xandu-
July 20th, 2007, 00:27
Yeah, the Wii tends to get hot real fast when it's on standby. I never leave it on for that reason.

ICE
July 20th, 2007, 01:04
lol my wii has been on wiiconnect 24 since i got it last christmas with no problems at all.

i think the problem is that wiis are prone to overheating in standby so just keep it in a cool place. DUH.

AuroEdge
July 20th, 2007, 01:58
I imagine what is heating up is the WiFi card. I keep my Wii in a well ventilated, air-conditioned area but it definitely feels warmer than it should. A couple of things to consider would be if the WiFi card is located near any critical components and how much the lifespan of the machine is shortened by since it is always on putting out significant heat. I've read reports of GPUs getting messed up on Wiis old and new from this but who really knows; my Wii is still working fine.

Heero808
July 20th, 2007, 04:25
Wow did not know that. Turned off WC24 on my wii and its hot. It sucks to live in Hawaii. Oh yeah had mine since last week friday

ICE
July 20th, 2007, 04:34
gaah of course it will be warm on the right side of the console. thats where the wifi card is and its supposed to be like that. if it gets HOT then turn it off. WARM is normal.