PDA

View Full Version : Dave Perry: Wii appeal will wear off

Shrygue
July 19th, 2007, 20:50
via Computer and Video Games (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=168457)

Games industry icon and developer, Dave Perry, says that Wii's popularity will eventually die down as gamers "drop their Wii controllers" in favour of the more graphically advanced experiences offered by Xbox 360 and PS3.

He went on to predict: "When a game comes out - a game like a Halo or something, something they haven't seen before - they'll drop everything and they'll drop their Wii controllers when it does."

He doesn't seem to be referring to the non-hardcore gamers to which the Wii appeals, who generally aren't willing to spend large amounts of money on the high-performance consoles.

He also had a pop at the Wii's controller interface. "The Nintendo Wii isn't the final solution to that sort of interactive interface. I think we'll always see more and more interesting approaches to interface, and I really don't think the Wii is the ultimate solution to that," he told Disposable Media.

JesusXP
July 19th, 2007, 21:26
Ooookkkk... David Perry may need to be quiet.. I've heard this guy speak his mind on many videogame related issues, but where does he get all this credit? Given - Earthworm jim was awesome. MDK2 - was OK.. Messiah was rarely purchased or played, Enter The Matrix was a total p.o.s (though I enjoyed parts of it)... His company went bankrupt... He's spoke about PS3 I believe, and now has something to say about the Wii... Well I have something to say about David Perry - Shut the F*** up, and write a good video game. How about he starts contributing more to the industry than bullshit prophecies. I wanna see this guy turn something new out, instead of live lavishly off of his critically acclaimed mediocre gems of yester-year.

That's right David Perry - I'm calling you out!

Zaneblade
July 19th, 2007, 23:40
He went on to predict: "When a game comes out - a game like a Halo or something, something they haven't seen before - they'll drop everything and they'll drop their Wii controllers when it does."

err.. most of the stuff in halo will have been seen before... just seems like an odd game to pick...

i can see where he is coming from... alot of games will want to swap there Wii-motes for games on the 360 and PS3... but when new games that have not been seen before come out on the wii.. then im sure the same will happen just the other way round.

Cap'n 1time
July 20th, 2007, 00:26
err.. most of the stuff in halo will have been seen before... just seems like an odd game to pick...

i can see where he is coming from... alot of games will want to swap there Wii-motes for games on the 360 and PS3... but when new games that have not been seen before come out on the wii.. then im sure the same will happen just the other way round.

agreed, halo was a really REALLY stupid example. Games we havnt seen before seem to be on the wii.

DKing
July 20th, 2007, 10:45
Another day another prediction by an industry insider or analyst about the demise of the Wii...

bmemike
July 20th, 2007, 13:24
The dumb part is that all these predictions are missing one thing: the Nintendo games are just fun to play.

I don't spend my game time thinking "Wow, this interactive controller system is rather engaging."

I enjoy the game that I'm playing - and making fun games is something that Nintendo excels at.

And saying that this isn't the "final solution" for this sort of control is asinine as well. Who cares? Nintendo did it first and succeeded where nobody else had. They had the vision to strike out away from the classic controllers and implement something new. It's obviously been very successful and of course it will get future attention and be refined. What does it matter what comes in the future? We're talking about the current install base of the current gaming systems - not game systems in 5+ years.

What a bunch of nonsense.

JesusXP
July 20th, 2007, 14:00
Glad I'm not the only one who see's this guy for a pompous ass. The reality is I believe David Perry is out of touch with the Industry. Besides, like we collectively agree - and even stated by many studios - the Wii has yet to reach its full potential. Much of the dev studios decided to hold off on making games for the Wii, and are playing catch up now. The more that programmers optimize their code for the Wii - the better response the controller should give, and the more unique and engaging experience will be born. Everyone is looking forward to the new ways we will be enjoying videogames. The Wii is going to be a conversation piece and an inexpensive party console for ppl who want to have a little fun and socialize while playing - without needing to learn too many control schemes or worry about large long loading times, etc. I picked one up just a few days ago. I haven't exactly fallen in love with it, but owning a PS3 - 360 and Wii now. I see that they all have a special place in my home :) (But I need some games to come out for the Wii and PS3 soon...)

Sports should be the most fun, its just a shame about the graphics..