PDA

View Full Version : Resistor question.

Valgreen
July 20th, 2007, 00:54
So im currently running my holux m1000 without the 1k resistor, my question is have there been any comfirmed bricks of people using holux gps's without the 1k resistor? either gps or psp bricks? any info rould be great. thnks.

deniska
July 20th, 2007, 03:54
so far I have not heard a single complaint.

Art
July 22nd, 2007, 01:56
Most mice style GPS units use a 5 Volt variation of the
RS232 standard where the PSP uses 2.5 Volts.

If this is the case and you don't use the resistor, you are delivering twice the voltage to the serial line of the PSP than Sony expected from devices connected to it.

It may still work.

AlexRoxUrSox
July 22nd, 2007, 13:43
It may still work without the 1K resistor, but you risk damaging the audio controller part of the psp.
This may lead to unwanted discharges or outputs to GPS devices or the psp, hence this might also lead to unwanted problems on the PSP.
But just to let you know, no one has been stupid enough to go without the 1K resistor.
I doubt it will brick, Proceed at your own risk.

Art
July 22nd, 2007, 13:51
I would have thought you could go much higher than 1K actually... unless maybe the output on that device is 3.3V instead of 5.

There is no reason not to go close to the highest possible value that doesn't work, and then lowering the value from there.
resistors are still only 5 cents in Aus.

AlexRoxUrSox
July 23rd, 2007, 08:21
Lol, I can get 500 1K Ohm for about 3 bucsks.
2 bucks cheaper than 5cents for 1

Art
July 23rd, 2007, 08:27
Well I won't tell you how many I have.
Let's say I'll never buy any for the rest of my life
lest there's some tech breakthrough in resistors,
or I start an electronics assembly factory.

AlexRoxUrSox
July 23rd, 2007, 08:33
lol, I have like this array of almost all microtech used resistors. I got it for like $100 and theres over 3 million resistors, even micro transistors, the type you click into place of some processors.
I doubt im ever gonna use them all, but ah, at least im prepared xD
Im not showing off btw, Im just saying that I have 3 million almost useless power stopping devices...if your lights are out...be on the look out for me xD