PDA

View Full Version : Holux owners

Skyhawk2
July 20th, 2007, 05:28
Hello:

I am looking to purchase the Holux M1000. But before I do, have a couple of questions.

1. How does this unit compare to:
HOLUX GPSlim240:
HOLUX GPSlim236:
HOLUX GR-231:
HOLUX GR-230:

2. The serial cable w/ the resistor that supports the models listed will also work with the M1000?
Since this is a new unit, is the resistor required?

3. Where can you purchase the ready made cable?

4. Does it function propery in a city environment like New York City?

Valgreen
July 20th, 2007, 05:54
i recently purchased a m1000 and am very pleased with it.

to answer your questions.

1) not to sure as ive never tried other holux models, however the m1000 seems to be very accurate, picks up sats very fast (2min max outdoors, 3-5min indoors).

2)yes the m1000 works with premade cables with the included 1k resistor. I however am using my m1000 on a homemade cable without the resistor and it works just fine.

3) http://www.moby.cn/
http://www.pc-mobile.net/pspgps.htm
im sure ebay as well

4) I use my m1000 with mapthis in Vancouver and it works great, now vancouver is not as large as New York but im sure you would have no issues in NY. Ive tested my unit in downtown van with large buildings around and still get 5-9 sats no problem.

hope this helps

deniska
July 20th, 2007, 06:23
gpslim236-240 - start to act funny when surrounded by toll buildings. You would get great accuracy on FDR or West side hwy but it may throw you off half a block near Empire state building and keep changing directions.. But I guess this would be the same for all other portable gps devices outthere..(My brother had similar issues with his 800$ tomtom in the city.)
The only way to reduce it is to add external antenna (gps236 has a socket for it) OR buy one of those expensive "permanent in-car" units, which have gyroscopes and other stuff to compensate for weak/reflected signal...

Oh, if you live outside Manhatten - you'll be fine :-)

Skyhawk2
July 21st, 2007, 05:53
Thank you for your replies...

This pretty much made my decision. Although I would like to hear from others reguarding their setup and firmware in using this new product. Also, does the m1000 have a socket for ext antenna?

AlexRoxUrSox
July 22nd, 2007, 13:31
Ext antenna?
No, but unless your in the inpenetrable forest of Uganda, all bets are off that you need that high power gps.
As far as I know, No gps recievers compatible with the PSP MapThis! software have sensitivity in the
-160dBW range.

appleappletwo
August 8th, 2007, 01:14
4) I use my m1000 with mapthis in Vancouver and it works great, now vancouver is not as large
hope this helps

Hi, where did u get the m1000 in vancouver for how much, if I may ask:) ?

r2000
August 8th, 2007, 03:10
gpslim236-240 - start to act funny when surrounded by toll buildings. You would get great accuracy on FDR or West side hwy but it may throw you off half a block near Empire state building and keep changing directions.. But I guess this would be the same for all other portable gps devices outthere..(My brother had similar issues with his 800$ tomtom in the city.)
The only way to reduce it is to add external antenna (gps236 has a socket for it) OR buy one of those expensive "permanent in-car" units, which have gyroscopes and other stuff to compensate for weak/reflected signal...

Oh, if you live outside Manhatten - you'll be fine :-)

You should not need external antenna if you are outside of a car, or if it is placed under windscreen. It would not make any difference.
It acts funny, as with many other sirf3 GPS, only when you are stationery or travel in a very low speed, like walking. It is not unusual. There is a way to tweak it with a cable and sirfdemo but I never want to try it.

r2000
August 8th, 2007, 03:11
Hi, where did u get the m1000 in vancouver for how much, if I may ask:) ?
You should find ebay the cheapest.