PDA

View Full Version : GMDL questions-zoom and changing/merging maps

lofarkas
July 20th, 2007, 11:15
Hi there...

So, in GMDL zoom level 1 is the most detailed, right? And it's automatically and irreversibly checked. My version is 04.18a, dunno if there are versions w/ different options.

Is there a way to get rid of it? It's too detailed and thus pointless in road maps. It just takes up a bunch of dl/processing time and then memory space... It also makes it more or less impossible to download maps of large areas. Say, all Europe. I'd like to have an overview map of the continent which wd take up like 5MB at the zoom I need... but at zoom 1... I don't even have enough HDD space for that :)

Also, can you merge maps dl-ed at different times? I guess you can't just copy the gpsfs files into the same folder because of the naming.

Plus: (how) can I edit the gpsfs files? Remove zoom levels, tiles, compress tiles, whatever. Any freeware prog that can do it?

Thanks.

cydus21
July 20th, 2007, 14:34
please use search function. its been ask countless time.

click on advance at the bottom left
a panel will pop out.
move the map to where u want
click on get numbers (third row first button in the panel)
set the min zoom to 1 (1 would remove 1x, 2 would remove 2x, 3 would remove 4x.. so on)
and pull tiles.

read the FAQ for GMDL.. its useful

i'm not sure what mergin u r referrin to but u can sure repair a map. u have to extract them from gpsfs first. again read the FAQ..

to edit, which wat u wanna do is remove the 1x zoom, u can extract the gpsfs, delete the 1x folder, follow the instruction to create a NEW map without the 1x zoom den repair it. Note that even u state no 1x, the map will still generate with a 1x folder. only that it is 2x stuff in the 1x folder

ONCE again.. read the FAQ it has all the answer to ur question

lofarkas
July 20th, 2007, 17:13
THX

Sorry, this page/forum is pretty messy so don't expect people to find stuff automatically.
Just finding out what the newest program versions are, what they contain and where to dl them is quite a task... E.g. it wouldn't hurt to tell people to download v4.0 first as the others are just updates, not full versions...
And the GMDL UI is not exactly intuitive.

Which is all fine for the price I'm paying, it's just my excuse for not being able to locate things.
Reading the 82 page GMDL thread is not really an enticing option...
Case in point: where is the GMDL FAQ? Not on the first page of the forum FAQ stickies in this forum or in a salient spot on deniska's or in7ane's site. Ya know putting it somewhere visible would stop threads like this one.

BTW I have to say I'm amazed at some of the features and how easily they work. E.g. downloading and displaying POI was increadibly fast and easy. These are great programs but not always user friendly.

BTW2: merge as in unite 2 maps into 1 so you don't have to switch between them when you actually use them.

smoot2poo
July 20th, 2007, 17:41
BTW2: merge as in unite 2 maps into 1 so you don't have to switch between them when you actually use them.

map cruncher

cydus21
July 21st, 2007, 01:12
haha.. for the GMDL u do not have to locate the newest version will update itself. as for mapthis! yeah i've been findin a way to know the lastest version without scrollin thru pages of threads.

the FAQ is sticked. http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=51440

view the last part of the first thread. for repair, use the forum search function. theres alot of thread with it