PDA

View Full Version : Finished book

Jackyish
July 22nd, 2007, 12:21
ive finished it..
it is very good!!
the death of Fred, Dobby, Snape, Lupin, Tonks and i think more but i dont remember.. :O
what did YOU think of it?

Raach.16
July 22nd, 2007, 13:33
finished it today..i cried a load when fred died!! argh how could he!

end chapter was nice..had to keep re reading cause his kids names confused me!

hallowsorhorcruxes
July 22nd, 2007, 15:08
For 2 entire chapters i thought harry was a goner! ending chapter was ok though a bit complicated with all the different names and things! i loved the book but now that i finished i regret i because what im i supposed to look forward to from now on! its a real shame we wont be getting anymore of HP! but jkrowlings been brilliant with the ending!

ultrajew11
July 22nd, 2007, 15:50
Yeah, it is sad.

This is all the people who died:
hedwig:(
moody
scrimgeour
pettigrew
dobby:(
crabbe
colin creevy
fred:(
tonks
lupin
bellatrix:)
lots of hogwarts people
snape
technically harry:confused:
and voldemort:thumbup: :D

I don't think i missed anyone...

Itsme0850
July 22nd, 2007, 16:02
Im sure Bellatrix didn't die, she ran away.

I was upset over Snape dying, I always knew he was a goodie, and I was sad about Lupin, Tonks and Fred died too :(

hermione123
July 22nd, 2007, 16:46
did any one notice that tonks and lupin's son, teddy, was still going to hogwarts when he was 19, i thought that they finished at 17.

DAnswer2424
July 22nd, 2007, 16:54
hey can someone explain to me clearer how harry survived the killing curse in the forbidden forest? i still dont get it and ive read dumbledore's explanation dozens of times

can someone please help me and explain....

hermione123
July 22nd, 2007, 16:55
harry did not die because he is the true owner of the elder wand and the wand did not want to kill its owner

laiznicki
July 22nd, 2007, 17:21
belltik was killed by molly wealsly and the reason harry did not die was beacuse the eldr wond belgoned to him

oops89
July 22nd, 2007, 17:30
did any one notice that tonks and lupin's son, teddy, was still going to hogwarts when he was 19, i thought that they finished at 17.

he wasnt going to hogwarts!! he was snogging victoire and when james asked him what he was doing he said 'he said he'd come to see her off'
obviously whichever one of the weasleys brothers have a daughter called victoire and shes still at hogwarts and id teddy's girlfriend so hed just come to say bye to her before she went back to school!

anyway personally i really loved the book was never upset like i was when sirius died though! i still think it would have been a better ending if harry had have died though... but im happy he lived but i kinda wanted him to be able to see all the people that hes lost finaly but i suppose him having a good life is just as good just not really as emotional in my oppinion!

oh and JK Rowling said that she didnt want to kill two of the people that she did anyone have n e ideas who she didnt want to kill? i thort it was mean killing fred and not george... but yeah there i go again lol...

Raach.16
July 22nd, 2007, 18:31
i think victoire might be fleurs kid lol sounds french, no?

Raach.16
July 22nd, 2007, 18:46
omg just a thought, victoire sounds like viktor, and i think fleur prefers krum lol cuz she invited him to her wedding so yeah.
thats if victoire is her daughter ^.^

tuskk
July 22nd, 2007, 19:04
i have a few questions that the book dident explain

what happend to the old profesors at hogwarts? i.e flitwick,mcgonagal,sprout

what happend to charecters like luna,dean,seamus,george and krum

also i would find it interesting to find out what happend to kreacher and if kingsly ended up the minister of magic

Raach.16
July 22nd, 2007, 19:08
the professers were fighting, maybe they stayed there, but im thinking sprout retired later on if neville bacame teacher, cuz there was only one herbology teacher..

kreacher was pretty old so he probably died lol

and the rest probably grew up and had kids, like harry n ron etc

^.^

ew ron and hermione..

Raach.16
July 22nd, 2007, 19:12
oh and JK Rowling said that she didnt want to kill two of the people that she did anyone have n e ideas who she didnt want to kill? i thort it was mean killing fred and not george... but yeah there i go again lol...

maybe tonks? cuz then that kid didnt have a mum and its harry alll over again..and people might want a new story lol

i think she wanted lupin to die so then those 4 (petigrew, sirius, james and lupin) were all reunited in heaven tralala

LoonyLovegood123
July 22nd, 2007, 19:28
what is on the cover of the book? that confused me

Raach.16
July 22nd, 2007, 19:31
when they go into the lestranges vault

muffinman_95
July 22nd, 2007, 19:36
how did fred die again?

Raach.16
July 22nd, 2007, 19:39
a death eater blows a bit of the wall up and it lands on him i think

LoonyLovegood123
July 22nd, 2007, 19:41
yup :(

LoonyLovegood123
July 22nd, 2007, 19:42
are you sure it is the vault? cause I don't see ron or hermione, but I do see Voldemort and I'm pretty sure he wasn't there...

Raach.16
July 22nd, 2007, 19:42
poor george =[ i wonder if they carried on the shop..

LoonyLovegood123
July 22nd, 2007, 19:43
I liked their shop :) they had good ideas...

Raach.16
July 22nd, 2007, 19:45
yeah but now theres just one weasley so it couldnt really work..unless thats why lee jordan re apeared on the scene lol, to help george

tuskk
July 22nd, 2007, 19:59
hey i was reading another site and they something that wasent said in the book but makes perfectly good sence

do you think that maybe luna and neville got married?

it makes sence because when the DA kinda disolved for abit only thoose 2 and ginny were the only really lowal followers and him and luna always did seem to spend alot of time together and were fairly close

Raach.16
July 22nd, 2007, 20:01
yeah i thought that, or wanted it to happen!

it talked loads of them being the ones who had checked their coins most in the 6th book...

aww. cute

tuskk
July 22nd, 2007, 20:26
wasent there supposed to be a charecter who performed magic late in life in desperate needs?...unless i missed JK saying she took it out i cant think of who it was

Raach.16
July 22nd, 2007, 20:26
you what? =S

Gurdyroots
July 22nd, 2007, 20:35
Neville and Luna getting married! I suppose it's possible but were any of the teachers at Hogwarts married.

I think its more likely Luna's writing about Crumple-Horned Snorkacks in The Quibbler and far to distracted to consider marriage. Hope she has lots of friends though.

Raach.16
July 22nd, 2007, 20:38
luna wasnt a teacher though?
she probably might have been doing the quibbler..was her dad ever released from prison? if he was he probably was crazy lol.

Gurdyroots
July 22nd, 2007, 21:19
hey can someone explain to me clearer how harry survived the killing curse in the forbidden forest? i still dont get it and ive read dumbledore's explanation dozens of times

can someone please help me and explain....

Totally agree, this was really confusing. Here is my take on why the curse failed.

When Voldemort used Harry's blood to rebuild his body he absorbed a portion of Lily's enchantment. This strengthened him and provided him with some protection (he could now touch Harry) but also meant Lily's sacrifice and the protection it provided Harry would continue to work until it had been completely destroyed/cursed. Therefore, as long as Voldemort lived the enchantment survived and Harry was protected.

Raach.16
July 22nd, 2007, 21:24
its becasue voldemort tried to kill harry using the elder wand, and harry says later that the elder wand cant kill its true master, and harry is the true master

Raach.16
July 22nd, 2007, 21:27
the blood thing as well.. and also that harry had a bit of voldemorts soul in him, and as voldemort was still alive, then harry would be too...something to do with neither can live while the other survives. i think

kintubrehsa
July 22nd, 2007, 21:28
but then there's still something i don't understand about the deathsick/elder wand. If Grindelwald (w/e his name is) stole it from that wandmaker, then he was never its true master... so then how did dumbledore master it?

Raach.16
July 22nd, 2007, 21:31
i dont think the wandmaker killed anyone to get though did he?

Raach.16
July 22nd, 2007, 21:34
ive just found the bit about it..and it only says he stole it, he didnt kill gregorovitch or whatever

i dont know then

kintubrehsa
July 22nd, 2007, 21:35
but still... how did dumbledore then become its master? Or, if Grindelwald did find a way to become its master, how come Dumbledore was able to beat the unbeatable wand?

Raach.16
July 22nd, 2007, 21:37
even though they were evenly matched dumbledore told harry that he always thought he was a little bit more skilled

kintubrehsa
July 22nd, 2007, 21:41
but the wand was supposed to be unbeatable... Grindy-whatsit couldn't have been its true master.

Raach.16
July 22nd, 2007, 21:46
oh wait, harry said that when he disarmed malfoy, he became the new master, so dumbledore must have disarmed grindelwald. and it cant be that beatable if its been claimed over centuries, the preivous masters had been killed over it

hpdhall
July 22nd, 2007, 22:10
i finished just over an hour ago how amazing was it. the amount of deaths innit tho musta been hard for rowling to kill off so many coz she probs got attached to them i would guess. ne hu i just couldnt think of how harry was going to escape death but it happened and its a very clever and thought out ending

the last chapter i liked coz it showed harry happy with ginny and also herm n ron together all with kids which is what they deserved a nice queit life :-)

Raach.16
July 22nd, 2007, 22:13
lol but hermione and ron together..its kinda wierd after they were friends for years..

hpdhall
July 22nd, 2007, 22:15
i know it is wierd but it was obvious at the beginning that if they survived then they'd get together

Raach.16
July 22nd, 2007, 22:17
yeah, i noticed theyre making it more obvious in the films that ron likes hermione more..hm.
i actually had to re read the bit where it said she kissed ron on the mouth cuz i was really shocked lol

muffinman_95
July 23rd, 2007, 00:20
which page was that? i forgot

oops89
July 23rd, 2007, 00:31
in all the books ive felt that JK Rowling was making it clear that they liked eachother but were too nervous it was Ron always being jealous and the looks that hermy sometimes gave him... but yeah i have another question!

i want to know what happened to fudge? did i miss n e thing on him cause im sure he wasnt mentioned and last thing i can really remember about him was in hbp in the very first chapter when he was being de-moted!

also... do you reccon that harry named james- james sirius? cause i would have thought that harry would want to name one f his sons after him due to the fact that he was the only father-like figure that he had ever really had and he did really send him to his death! im so glad it was mrs weasley that killed bellatrix however i would have loved for harry or nevel (or both) to killed her cause she killed the ones that they had loved the most! but yeah...

also do you think george would ever get over the loss of his brother because surley that would have been hardest for him? i want to know what he did...

and also what happened to cho and abberthoth (sorry forgoten how to spell his name...well dumbledores brother) and who became the new headmaster? because i dont think mcgonal would still be there 19 year later would she? cause she was surley almost as old as dumbledore...well not quite but she was old!

oh and i read somewhere about someone showing magical powers too... but i dont think i noticed anything the only thing i put this down to was the magic dobby used on his old masters to get harry ron and hermy out of the malfoys?

oh and also i heard something that we would lear about patunia but then i thort that it wasnt tht big a deal that she actually wanted to go to hogwarts cause any child whos sibling was going would want to wouldnt they? i know if my brother had gone i would have hated it if i hadnt got a place! but did i miss something more important about tht?

ok... i seemed to have said a lot and i know i still have loads more...lol but yeah any ideas?

bkzcici
July 23rd, 2007, 01:31
I was upset in the beginning when Hedwig and Moody died (even though I was indifferent toward Moody). I found the middle boring when the three of them couldn't figure anything else out and just keep moving around. I was so mad at Harry because he always messes up (due to his lack of self control and he doesn't seem to think about the consequence of his actions beforehand). Sirius and Dobby, dead because of him. I will never ever forget that! Harry killed off two of my favorite characters grrr! I think I like the near-ending the best because everything is revealed (even though I don't remember some of the details from the other books). Snape and Lily really surprised me but I had faith that Snape was good all along! Except I thought my faith was crushed when Snape died. "the Prince's Tale" is definitely my favorite part of the hp7. I love the confrontation harry gave voldemorte at th end too.. calling him riddle instead :D

It feels weird not having another hp to look forward to! My favorite was hp5 but now it's definitely hp7.. but I'm not sure if I can take reading the whole thing again (bc it's sad how many people died. and the middle was a bit boring)

RIP sirius black, albus dumbledore, hedwig, moody, dobby, fred, tonks, lupin, and snape.

ps the 19 years later section.. a bit confusing with SO many kids and their names. I was mad Harry didn't put Sirius's name in it! How could he not??? Harry's son James will have to go by James Sirius Potter. I <3 Ginny and Harry. I thought it was weird how Ginny suddenly got so outspoken at hp6 but I've gotten used to it in hp7 and it's nice how understanding she is.

btw judging on the day harry's parents passed away.. the story takes place around 1996-7??

acoolword
July 23rd, 2007, 01:48
Questions:

How did Dumbledore defeat Grindewald in a duel and take his wand when Grindewald was in possession of the elder wand that can never be defeated in a duel?

If Harry was the godfather of Ted Tonks, and both of Ted's parents died, why did Harry not care for the baby? We know that Ted did not live with Harry because in the last chapter of the book Harry says "He already comes round for dinner about four times a week. Why don't we just invite him to live with us and have done with it?"

If house elves can perform side-along apparation, and they can apparate into and out of Hogwarts, why has nobody ever used house elves to get into hogwarts? And, since house elves are known to have powerful magic abilities, why do they only attack the death eaters by stabbing their ankles?

What happened when Neville pulled Godric Griffindor's sword out of the sorting hat? Did it just disappear from the Goblin who thought that he owned it? I don't think a goblin would be too happy about that. AND, does anyone else think that it was a strange urge for Voldemort to go get that hat, and put it on Neville's head only to set him and the hat on fire? Why did he need the hat to do that?

This is not a question. But In my opinion, Ron and Hermione's trip to the chamber of secrets should have been left out. It is silly that Ron could suddenly speak Parslemouth, and the whole trip could have been avoided if the diadem and the cup had been destroyed by the fire instead of using a basilisk fang on the cup.

I understand that Malfoy unknowingly took possession of the elder wand when he disarmed Dumbledore in the sixth book. When Harry disarmed Malfoy, the wand became Harry's. But, it seems like a stretch that both of the wands that belonged to Malfoy would be Harry's and not just the wand that Malfoy had been carrying at the time he was disarmed.

What happened to the death eater's giants after the battle at Hogwarts? Was the out of control population of breeding dementors just rounded up and sent back to guard Azkaban even though dumbledore disapproved of using them in that way? Who became the permanent new minister of magic and headmaster at Hogwarts? What happened to Luna? Dursley's? Hermione's parents? Crookshanks? The Room of Requirement? The Weasley's Wizard Weezes???

It was cheesy that Harry, Ron, and Hermione flew out of Gringots on a dragon and landed safely in a pool, and Harry's out of body decision between life or death was made at kings cross station.

The sequel:::: :P

The goblin Griphook is angered because he believes that Harry stole back the sword that now belonged to him. He starts a revolt with other goblins who already dislike wizards for similar reasons. They steal Harry's wand (the elder wand) as payback for their stolen treasure. Well, there is the conflict anyway. I don't want to sort out a resolution. But... neither did JK Rowling! oOOooo. Just kidding :( I liked the book, but i was disappointed in the hasty way she resolved some of the problems.

oooh yea. The cover of the book. What is going on? My guess is that it is depicting the duel between voldemort and harry. Voldemort is falling to the ground, and harry is reaching to catch the elder wand.

bkzcici
July 23rd, 2007, 02:03
I know the elder wand "can never be defeated" but if it can "never be defeated" how did it ever get passed down? I think it still depends on the wand-holder and how skillful she/he is. If somewhere along the line comes someone more skilled and defeated him/her (which is definitely possible), then i would be passed along.

My take on it is Ted Lupin is independent. Plus, Ted had a grandmother when he was a kid (not sure if she passed away..)

I think Voldemort was talking about no more sorting in hogwarts and setting the sorting hat on fire symbolizes that.

I think the elder wand can detect if the owner has been "defeated". wand is not about just holding it, it has feelings. so even though malfoy never held the elder's wand. the elder's wand already transfered ownership (it can sense it!)

And all the questions about everyone else.. obviously jk rowling wanted to keep it short and focused on the main characters at the end. As for the rest of them, I guess it's up to us to guess.

HP4L
July 23rd, 2007, 02:31
Is anyone else deeply saddened over the death of Severus Snape, or is it just me?! I cried when the "truth" was revealed about him in the pensieve AND at the end when Harry had named his son, Albus Severus, after him. :(

acoolword
July 23rd, 2007, 03:04
I was really sad when Snape died too. I thought she did a really great job with his story. I never believed that he was a true death eater, and I was waiting the whole time to see what would happen to him :)

And, thanks for answering my questions :) It would certainly make sense that Ted's grandmother would take care of him instead of Harry. I am still confused about the elder wand though. Why would it be valuable if the owner could be defeated by a more skilled wizard? I had the feeling that the wand had been taken from wizards by more evil means than an honest duel.

TheAnswer2uAll
July 23rd, 2007, 05:42
well my friends...there are some misleading inquiries in this thread...
firstly harry survives the curse because the curse attacked the horcrux inside of harry which dumbeldore guessed whould happen...the blood thing was quite interesting but irrevelent because he no longer called privet drive home so the protection was lifted...the blood just embelished the connection harry and riddle had.

secondly the cover is the final fight obviously

thirdly the elder wand was obtained by dumbeldore from grinelwald or w/e..unknowning of how dumbeldore became the true owner he was disarmed by draco...once draco disarmed albus he was the true owner of the elderwand but did not have it...then as harry states to riddle at the end harry disarmed draco and is the sole owner of the elder wand...Riddle was never the owner of the elder wand because he never disarmed dumbeldore, draco, or harry. when harry and voldemort connected the charms harrys reached Riddle as his backfired..

lastly the sword obtained by neville was obtained from the goblin by the sorting hat...(no idea im thinking the sorting hat is crazy magical and somehow got it or just apparated it from the goblin) like in the chamber of secrets when harry needs the sword he puts on the hat and asks for it...only a true gryffendor will get the sword in return...neville being the true gryffendor thought the only way to kill nigini was to slice it up thought he could get it throu the sorting hat so he asked...and he got...

any other questions ask

julesphoenix
July 23rd, 2007, 05:44
For 2 entire chapters i thought harry was a goner! ending chapter was ok though a bit complicated with all the different names and things! i loved the book but now that i finished i regret i because what im i supposed to look forward to from now on! its a real shame we wont be getting anymore of HP! but jkrowlings been brilliant with the ending!
Oh don't worry, J.K. Rowling has no intention of discontinuing writing as a whole. Harry Potter's tale may be over, but we must not forget, the brilliant mind who brought him to us is still very much alive.

mastersho
July 23rd, 2007, 06:57
Ok yeah this was the best book of the 7 i think. but it was kinda short(finished in 12 hours) but im glad all the loose ends got tied up.

BookHeart
July 23rd, 2007, 08:13
So noticed it. who was he kissing in the first place? he doesn't sound like his father lupin would be to insecure to do anything as extreme as kissing in public.

BookHeart
July 23rd, 2007, 08:15
I hope JK write more books about the wizarding world even if they're not about harry remus, james, serious and peter would make a cool story

AllInYourHead
July 23rd, 2007, 08:30
I'm pretty sure JK will write more books, but nothing she writes will probably live up to Harry Potter. I mean, it's the most awesomest series in the world.
We've still got the movies to look forward to, I suppose.

BookHeart
July 23rd, 2007, 08:35
the reason harry didn't die wasn't because he was the true owner of the elder wand it was because the night voldemort infused himself with harry's want he also infused himself with a bit of harry so harry was kept alive inside voldemort

LupinTheMan
July 23rd, 2007, 08:38
Rearrange S-E-V-E-R-U-S S-N-A-P-E and you spell.....

PURSUES EVANS

Raach.16
July 23rd, 2007, 10:55
[QUOTE=bkzcici;480224]I know the elder wand "can never be defeated" but if it can "never be defeated" how did it ever get passed down? QUOTE]

the wand is only as powerful as the wizard...

it was repeated a couple of times in the book by a couple of characters

Raach.16
July 23rd, 2007, 11:10
secondly the cover is the final fight obviously

Riddle was never the owner of the elder wand

obviously? not to our english versions im afraid, ours has the lestranges vault on the cover.

funny how riddle was never the owner, he didnt have to kill snape, as snape wasnt an owner either

marsbarluvr
July 23rd, 2007, 13:07
having finished the last books is weird...like christmas is over and will never come again...

anyway...I realize there was a war going on but sometimes it felt like she only killed a bunch of characters for the sake of killing. how coincidental that Harry was close to all of the ordermembers who died. and surely he probably wouldn't react as badly if someone he didn't know died but still...

I feared Lupin would die, he really was my favourite character 'til the end even if his character changed a great deal in the last book. it was shocking at first but it's nice to see that he could be human too.
Also in a way I'm glad that he got to pass on to the next life the same way James and Sirius had and now *sniff* they can be *sob* together forever *cries uncontrollably*

I still don't quite understand how peter died. he was strangled by his own hand or something like that I believe but...why?

when dobby died that was sad to. I never realized how fond I was of him until then. strange, isnt't it? usually you have your faves and that's that...

and you know I feared a weasley was gonna die. it was bound to happen sooner or later, considering how many they were and how close they had been to lose a family member before. but one of the twins, that was just the saddest imaginable. and I'm so glad percy came back, I always liked him.

I'm so dissapointed when JK didn't write a squat about the veil. it's like sirius died for nothing in a way. why didn't he crawl out of it as harry had expected him to, and what was it doing there in the first place? I was sure there was more to it. but...clearly I was wrong.

Tonks pregnant? ohhh boy...:rofl: I thought for sure that was NOT gonna happen because it would be the worst timing to have a baby in the middle of all the chaos, but apparently SOMEBODY hasn't heard of protection...

I had hoped that the crucial thing we were to find out about Lily had been something more original rather than that she had two admirers, instead of one. she was great in every way, I get it. she must be the only character in the book that hasn't displayed any flaws whatsoever (except for ginny maybe, who has a tantrum every now and then but that's about it). and also, how did Snape get that missing piece of her letter to Sirius? And what was it doing in Sirius room, because it seemed as he had recieved it after moving out of there, unless somebody was sent to empty his place once he had been sent to azkaban and dumped all his stuff there. why not throw it away, though? no one expected him to get out of there anyway. :confused: Unless he took it with him to azkaban because he loved her too yeah that's probably it *sarcastic*

and one last thing. the 19 years later thing was just...:rofl: Honestly. sooo dissapointed harry married ginny. I knew they would end up together, but I always really hoped he'd fall for luna...but either way, I can't imagine how Jo could write that happily ever after part with a straight face. same goes for the scene when harry was kissed like never before and oh my god what a kiss that was making every other kiss jealous with it's kissiness...

IMO

Other than that, great book.:thumbup:

Raach.16
July 23rd, 2007, 13:13
I still don't quite understand how peter died. he was strangled by his own hand or something like that I believe but...why?

how did Snape get that missing piece of her letter to Sirius? And what was it doing in Sirius room, because it seemed as he had recieved it after moving out of there, unless somebody was sent to empty his place once he had been sent to azkaban and dumped all his stuff there. why not throw it away, though? no one expected him to get out of there anyway. :confused:

i think becuase voldemort made his hand, and peter had started to show remorse, it just..strangeld him because of it?

and snape could get in the house because he knew where it was..so could take the letter

Dobby
July 23rd, 2007, 13:52
JKR says that she changed the ending.
She gave one character a repraisal and two other main characters die instead.

Who do you think was that main character, and who do you think was supposed to live that ended up dieing?

oops89
July 23rd, 2007, 14:04
i reckon its between fred tonks and lupin of who were not going to die! i think she intended on keeping one of the parents on teddy alive and i think she felt she had to kill a much loved character so lupin and fred would fill that!

but i think harry ron hermy or nevil were the the ones that got there chance to live... i was thinking harry but then shes had the ended planned since the begining anf that would have been a massive change so probibly one of the others? ginny prehaps? someone who harry was really close to i think and would have been hardest on him because he would have blamed himself... i dunno though could have been anyone?

i really thort that mcgonagall was gunna die because that would have been really sad ive always thort that she loved dumbledore i wish that there had been more between them!

Dobby
July 23rd, 2007, 14:52
but i think harry ron hermy or nevil were the the ones that got there chance to live... i was thinking harry but then shes had the ended planned since the begining anf that would have been a massive change so probibly one of the others? ginny prehaps? someone who harry was really close to i think and would have been hardest on him because he would have blamed himself... i dunno though could have been anyone?

Just thought that I'd mention - But JKR has always said that the trio - Harry, Ron and Hermione are not included in this change.

So what it boils down to is who is classed as main characters.
Personally think that Hagrid was to die while Tonks and Fred were supposed to live.
I think Percys return was a bit cheesy, and his death would have had more of an impact - like it's never too late to say sorry.

oops89
July 23rd, 2007, 15:00
yeah but then Percy would not have been able to show that he truly never lost his love for his family, cause she showed this by the fact he didnt want freds body to be destroyed or taken cause he wouldn't move away from it! i thort that hagrid was a goner when he disappeared with those spiders but i reckon that JK Rowling kept him because there wouldnt have been such an emotional thing when hargrid was carrying harrys body!

i think i would have been most upset if it was someone who had helpped harry a lot like nevil who was going to die? but then by killing nevil it would be like saying even if you are brave and go against the things people think about you it might not work and thats not a very good message (moral) to put across but i dunno could have been anyone really maybe she didn't change her mind at all perhaps she said that so people would discuss it and keep talking about her book? but i dunno? hmm...

DJam
July 23rd, 2007, 18:17
I thought the ending was very weak. There are so many unanswered questions about a bunch of characters like: What happens to George and other weaslys, what kind of job do Harry, Ron etc. have, what happens with Tommy Lupin? Is he a werewolf? Who does he live with? What happens with the Dursley's? What about the teachers? etc. I really wanted to know what happened in the hours, days, months and maybe the first couple of years after the defeat of Voldy. Besides that the epilogue was sooo corny, with nameing the kids after the dead people, not to mention confusing as hell...

I was also positive that either Harry or Neville would kill Belatrix(spelling?) and I figured that since Harry was going to kill Voldy, that pleasure would be Neville's. It was set up so perfectly for him to avenge his family, but NOOO it has to be Molly wtf! That was really random.

Then there's the matter of all those deaths. They were pretty bad and uniformative: Fred gets killed by a rock, Hedwig gets smooshed, Moody cursed/ falls, Lupin and Tonks... How did they die?!!! Snape killed by the snake- Was there a hidden meaning in that or something? Like someone wrote earlier these seemed like deaths for the sake of it with no real purpose. There was no need for Tonks to leave her baby and come to fight, I mean come ON, that was clearly just a quick little tie in to have Tonks killed. That leaves another orphan of members of the order...

It was also quite confuseing when Harry didn't die... again... when he was cursed by Voldy. I got the feeling it was because he had a piece of Voldy's soul in him and that's what the killing curse killed, but a lot of ppl are saying other things like 'the wand was really Harry's so it didn't want to kill him':confused:

What was the whole point of thing with the Goblin, JK already said she probably wasn't going to continue the series, so why add another element with Goblins being angry at wizards? There was no need to make the goblin want the sword in the first place. All it lead to was Ron learning to speak parsel:confused: (even though he was mimicing what Harry said it was a messy tie in) and to Nevelle pulling the sword from the hat (the hat was also a messy tie in. Voldy could have just killed him)

There is also the thing with the uber wand being his because it was Malfoy's and Harry took Malfoy's other wand. That was a really big stretch (yet another messy tie in). Now about the Wand, as many have already said, the wielder of it is supposed to be unbeatable in a duel, so how did Albus win it? You could answer that by saying that the guy he defeated had stolen the wand so it wasn't really his, but then that leads to a whole nother set of problems (it woundn't really have been DD's, then in turn Malfoy's and Harry's). You could counter that argument thought by saying this: Didn't Harry technically steal the wand from Malfoy? Once again I am very confused.

Other than these problems I had with the book, and the rollercoster pace, I actually thought it was a good book, and right now I'm going to stop writing and cry in a corner because... sniff... Harry Potter's done...sniff.

Comments ppl!!!!!

Itsme0850
July 23rd, 2007, 18:51

PURSUES EVANS

Thats really cool! I wonder if J.K had done that intentionally

k188
July 23rd, 2007, 19:07
Ok
The elder wand belonged to Dumbledore because he defeated Grindewald, in the ending of the sixth book, when Dumbledore was very weak because he drank the posion, to get the horcrux, he wanted snape to kill him, as explained in the book, and the power of the elder won would therefore be broken. (because snape didn't actually defeat dumbledore, but only acted on his orders) As far as I remember Draco cast the expilliarmus spell at dumbledore, and did therefore without knowing it become the master of the elder wand. Harry defeated draco, hence he became the master of it. That was why Harry did not die in the forest, and in the great hall. In the forest Voldemort did not kill Harry, but the seventh horcrux placed within him.

Regarding Neville pulling the sword out of the sorting hat, I think that was to prove how brave and how true a Gryffindor Neville had finally become.

I thought the ending was a bit messy too, personally I would have preferred to read more about the time after the battle, for my sake she could have written another hundred pages about the whole reestablishment of the wizarding society, and how everyone was getting along afterwards, the reaction from the world and so on..

Otherwise a really really good book as always :)

TheWalrus90
July 23rd, 2007, 22:42
Totally agree, this was really confusing. Here is my take on why the curse failed.

When Voldemort used Harry's blood to rebuild his body he absorbed a portion of Lily's enchantment. This strengthened him and provided him with some protection (he could now touch Harry) but also meant Lily's sacrifice and the protection it provided Harry would continue to work until it had been completely destroyed/cursed. Therefore, as long as Voldemort lived the enchantment survived and Harry was protected.

And you mustnīt forget that Harry surrendered to death, otherwise the spell would have bounced to voldemort as the second and last time because Harry was the true master of the Elder Wand. If Harry defended himself, the curse would have bounced to Voldemort not destroying the Horcrux, but stripping Harry of his protection making it impossible for him to destroy the Horcrux without dying. In other words, the first one to die at the hands of the other was bound to win.

TheWalrus90
July 23rd, 2007, 22:48
but then there's still something i don't understand about the deathsick/elder wand. If Grindelwald (w/e his name is) stole it from that wandmaker, then he was never its true master... so then how did dumbledore master it?

You donīt have to kill the master of the wand to become the new one, you have to defeat him in duel or yes, kill him. Between the ways of defeating in duel is desarming your oponent or taking his wand, this is what Grindelwald did to Gregorovitch and Harry to Malfoy.

TheWalrus90
July 23rd, 2007, 22:53
but the wand was supposed to be unbeatable... Grindy-whatsit couldn't have been its true master.

Remember itīs a story, a legend, maybe unbeatable was a way of saying that it was a very powerful wand...

albus-severus-potter
July 23rd, 2007, 23:02
Dumbledore stated he Was more skillfull, After all, Dumbledore was the greates wizard of his time

TheWalrus90
July 23rd, 2007, 23:06

PURSUES EVANS

Great idea!!!
The problem is that you are changing an E for a U.
Nevertheless, the anagram may be PERUSES EVANS

TheWalrus90
July 23rd, 2007, 23:18
The are only two questions that trouble me. One is why did Dumbledore said that Voldemort should kill Harry? If the blood thing was true, the Horcrux would have been destroyed if anyone tried to kill him and he wouldnīt be killed because of his motherīs blood running through Voldemortīs veins. In sending him to Voldemort, there was a chance that he would try to defend himself, making the curse of the Elder Wand return to voldemort and strip Harry from the blood protection without destroying the Horcrux.
The other question is why Voldemort was unconcious as Harry after trying to kill him in the woods? He never felt anything for loosing a Horcrux before. Could Voldemort have been unconcious in the same place as Harry (Kingīs Cross) as that creature beyond help?, because Dumbledore told Harry that Voldemort was more afraid of returning there than he was...

leeland12
July 24th, 2007, 06:59
right but it said he came to wish that girl off as she was leaving...so he merely came to say goodbye

Dobby
July 24th, 2007, 14:19
They begin their final year at the age of 17 they can turn 18 within that year or during the summer holidays following.

It was obvious that the young James Potter hadn't expected to see Teddy at the station so with a little maths - Teddy would have been at Hogwarts from September 2009 till July 2016, a whole year will have passed before the station scene and Teddy would be 19 now and his 20th birthday will be in the next 6-8 months - quite correctly I would say he is saying goodbye to Victoire(which we suspect is Bill and Fleurs daughter that is possibly in year 6 or 7, two or three years younger).

xxellexx
July 24th, 2007, 15:01
I think JK meant that she didn't want to kill Lupin and Tonks, but obv she did at the very end. Also, the fact that Harry didn't die when Voldy used the AK curse in the FF was because of the link Harry shared with Voldy after Voldy took Harry's blood during his re-birth. The fact that Lily's sacrifice lived on in Voldy meant that Harry couldn't die because his blood and that magic was still alive in Voldy...Ooh so confusing!!

DJam
July 24th, 2007, 15:59
I really think killing off Lupin and Tonks was kind of pointless. She didn't go into any detail about how they died and it didn't move the story on or add to it in anyway. It may just be me but I actually think that detracted from the book. I mean if you're going to kill off characters like that, at least go into detail about how it happened (eg. Fred died when he got hit by exploding wall, and that part actually went on for more than a single paragraph, with Percy trying to protect the body...). With Tonks and Lupin it was kind of like 'Oh look Tonks and Lupin are dead.' and that was it.

dumbledoresman7
July 24th, 2007, 16:51
I was kind of dissappointed to find out that Dumbledore, who i thought was this benevolent ideal mentor with a penchant for sweets as his only flaw, was indeed a troubled individual who was power-hungry and once considered muggles to be inferior.
I understand that this is to make his character more human-like and rounded, but the fact that he was taking advantage of Harry's orphan predicament to motivate him to take down Voldemort and die in the process was hard for me to accept.
Although, in the fourth book when Rowling says that Dumbledore had a look of triumph in his eyes when Harry came back from the graveyard, this might mean that he knew Harry didnt have to die in the end.
I also always thought that perhaps the Dursleys wouldnt remain so naive and cruel right up through the end of the series. At least Dudley attemped to make up for all those years of torture, but his aunt and uncle? unnecessarily horrible people. I am glad thought that they were forced to move out of their house, uproot their lives, and never bother harry again.
All in all, i thoroughly enjoyed the book.

Hodster
July 24th, 2007, 17:04
The reason that JKR didn't go into detail about Lupin and Tonk's death is because Harry didn't see how they died.

mizzPotter
July 24th, 2007, 17:17
Im sure Bellatrix didn't die, she ran away.

I was upset over Snape dying, I always knew he was a goodie, and I was sad about Lupin, Tonks and Fred died too :(

mrs weasley killed belatrix

mizzPotter
July 24th, 2007, 17:18

no! they come of age at 17 but they stay at school that's why in the last battle those of age stil stayed.

mizzPotter
July 24th, 2007, 17:23
Questions:

How did Dumbledore defeat Grindewald in a duel and take his wand when Grindewald was in possession of the elder wand that can never be defeated in a duel?

If Harry was the godfather of Ted Tonks, and both of Ted's parents died, why did Harry not care for the baby? We know that Ted did not live with Harry because in the last chapter of the book Harry says "He already comes round for dinner about four times a week. Why don't we just invite him to live with us and have done with it?"

If house elves can perform side-along apparation, and they can apparate into and out of Hogwarts, why has nobody ever used house elves to get into hogwarts? And, since house elves are known to have powerful magic abilities, why do they only attack the death eaters by stabbing their ankles?

What happened when Neville pulled Godric Griffindor's sword out of the sorting hat? Did it just disappear from the Goblin who thought that he owned it? I don't think a goblin would be too happy about that. AND, does anyone else think that it was a strange urge for Voldemort to go get that hat, and put it on Neville's head only to set him and the hat on fire? Why did he need the hat to do that?

This is not a question. But In my opinion, Ron and Hermione's trip to the chamber of secrets should have been left out. It is silly that Ron could suddenly speak Parslemouth, and the whole trip could have been avoided if the diadem and the cup had been destroyed by the fire instead of using a basilisk fang on the cup.

I understand that Malfoy unknowingly took possession of the elder wand when he disarmed Dumbledore in the sixth book. When Harry disarmed Malfoy, the wand became Harry's. But, it seems like a stretch that both of the wands that belonged to Malfoy would be Harry's and not just the wand that Malfoy had been carrying at the time he was disarmed.

What happened to the death eater's giants after the battle at Hogwarts? Was the out of control population of breeding dementors just rounded up and sent back to guard Azkaban even though dumbledore disapproved of using them in that way? Who became the permanent new minister of magic and headmaster at Hogwarts? What happened to Luna? Dursley's? Hermione's parents? Crookshanks? The Room of Requirement? The Weasley's Wizard Weezes???

It was cheesy that Harry, Ron, and Hermione flew out of Gringots on a dragon and landed safely in a pool, and Harry's out of body decision between life or death was made at kings cross station.

The sequel:::: :P

The goblin Griphook is angered because he believes that Harry stole back the sword that now belonged to him. He starts a revolt with other goblins who already dislike wizards for similar reasons. They steal Harry's wand (the elder wand) as payback for their stolen treasure. Well, there is the conflict anyway. I don't want to sort out a resolution. But... neither did JK Rowling! oOOooo. Just kidding :( I liked the book, but i was disappointed in the hasty way she resolved some of the problems.

oooh yea. The cover of the book. What is going on? My guess is that it is depicting the duel between voldemort and harry. Voldemort is falling to the ground, and harry is reaching to catch the elder wand.

teddy stayed with his grandmother which was tonks's mum as he wsa in her care during the battle.

mizzPotter
July 24th, 2007, 17:26
i was disappointed when dumbledore came to harry at charing cross. that was abith pathetic and i also think one of the malfoys should have been killed instead of fred.

mizzPotter
July 24th, 2007, 17:26
all the bits about dumbledores sister were irrelevant and confusing.

Raach.16
July 24th, 2007, 17:40
to most of these threads above, its all been answered previously...

thetruemastermind
July 24th, 2007, 23:16
here's a question that i have not quite been able to figure out by myself, so hopefully you all can help me... :)

Harry had become a 7th horcrux to voldemort, without either of their knowledge when voldemort tried killing him as a baby because his soul was already so weak and torn from before it easily broke again without his awareness...

but, as Harry and dumbledore and the rest of the gang found out, their are only a few ways of destroying a horcrux properly, and a killing curse was never mentioned as one of them.

how come then, voldemort was able to destroy his own horcrux in harry (that he did not even know existed) by hitting it with a killing curse???

was it because the curse was extended from the elder wand? but even still that doesnt seem logical because it was still voldemort issuing teh spell and not the wands rightful inherited owner harry...

anyways, if a simply killing curse could destroy a horcrux in a living being.... why did neville have to pull the sword of gryffindor randomly out of the sorting hat to kill Nagini... he could have just used a killing curse and spared us the dramatics and the mystery of how the hat had the sword from the goblin in the first place...

TheKingsDaddy
July 24th, 2007, 23:52
I believe that Harry was not a horcrux in the sense that all the other horcruxes were. The others most likely had very strong enchantments and curses placed on them by voldemort. And the way to destroy a horcrux is to destroy the physical object that encases it. By using the killing curse on Harry that is what voldemort did.

TheWalrus90
July 25th, 2007, 05:07
here's a question that i have not quite been able to figure out by myself, so hopefully you all can help me... :)

Harry had become a 7th horcrux to voldemort, without either of their knowledge when voldemort tried killing him as a baby because his soul was already so weak and torn from before it easily broke again without his awareness...

but, as Harry and dumbledore and the rest of the gang found out, their are only a few ways of destroying a horcrux properly, and a killing curse was never mentioned as one of them.

how come then, voldemort was able to destroy his own horcrux in harry (that he did not even know existed) by hitting it with a killing curse???

was it because the curse was extended from the elder wand? but even still that doesnt seem logical because it was still voldemort issuing teh spell and not the wands rightful inherited owner harry...

anyways, if a simply killing curse could destroy a horcrux in a living being.... why did neville have to pull the sword of gryffindor randomly out of the sorting hat to kill Nagini... he could have just used a killing curse and spared us the dramatics and the mystery of how the hat had the sword from the goblin in the first place...

Here goes my answer again...
Well, when Harry that was able (I think, never proved) to perform a killing curse to Nagini, the snake was very protected, and Neville didnīt use it because Voldemort took his wand and also because he never was very good with spells, do you really believe Neville to be capable of performing a killing curse??? Nevertheless, I am shure that if someone killed Nagini with a killing curse the Horcrux inside her would have been destroyed.

mizzPotter
July 25th, 2007, 12:18
I believe that Harry was not a horcrux in the sense that all the other horcruxes were. The others most likely had very strong enchantments and curses placed on them by voldemort. And the way to destroy a horcrux is to destroy the physical object that encases it. By using the killing curse on Harry that is what voldemort did.

totally agree. and cozx voldemort didnt no a piece of him was in harry there were no enchanments and special spells to break.

adz888
July 25th, 2007, 13:03
Originally Posted by TheKingsDaddy

Yes and the Elder Wand knew he couldn't attack it's master so it attacked the little part of Harry, which wasn't Harry, which was of course Voldermart.

paddfoot2
August 23rd, 2007, 14:30
harry did not die because he is the true owner of the elder wand and the wand did not want to kill its owner
wrong! in book 4 voldi takes some of harrys blood, and by doing this he also takes some of lillys blood protection so it lives on in him so i think as long as voldi lives harry cant die

natalia
November 14th, 2007, 11:52
God!! I needed a forum desperately!!! I finished the book yesterday, I've never been able to wait for the Spanish translation... I've always read them in English... though sometimes I had to come back and re read some of the pages because I was reading so quicky that I missed some important things...

I.e... I can't understand very well where the diadem is hidden... because when harry asks the room of Requirement become the place where everything is hidden, everything hidden in hogwarts comes out or what??? I don't know if my problem is because of the language or because actually it's not very clear...

Well, I think it was the best way to finish, the best book... but I couldn't stop crying... loads of years with harry... at least there are the films yet...

mariii ♥
November 29th, 2007, 00:51
ohh my... ive read the book about three times! All the ppl who, like me, grew with harry, probably is hard to you to realize its all over, for me it is. This book is darker and creepy, and i really liked the ending, athough the epilogue was quite the typical story of forever happy but well... I guess some of you had guessed harry will be an horocrux since the sixth book, and well, snape wasnt bad at all. I think my favorite part is when harry discovers he is an horcrux in the memories of Albus Dumbledore. The kids.. well i think Albus Severus is an awful name! but well its in honor of 2 of my favorite characters so... It so cute harry married ginny... i mean that was kinda obvious but aww! they are the best couple! unlike ron and hermione! no they do make a nice couple i guess, Ron is not that bad! When i finished the book I felt like an important part of my life had just ended, harry potter was the first book I read completely! This last book has many deaths, but life also! For me is like the most realistic of the whole seven books! I am a big harry fan! And Yeah its over, but ppl smile! There's still the movie I die to watch! haha i wanna see Ron and Hermione's kiss! hilarious! well comment!
:rolleyes: mariii