PDA

View Full Version : Dosbox V0.7.0 Ported to PSP- Test Release - DOS Emulator For PSP

wraggster
July 22nd, 2007, 20:41
CrazyC (http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=3179&start=240) has today released a Test Version of the DOS Emulator for the PSP (Dos Games are all the games from around 8 years and more ago, many fantastic games too)

Heres the release notes for this version:

Well, this could work, but it'll take some amount of work, so don't hold your breath as I've been busy with something else....

Thanks to dosbox developer c2woody who pointed out that it is possible to run most dos protected mode games with a vastly reduced address space and that a new portable dynamic recompiler has just been checked into CVS, I can put this out for people to test.

dosbox-0.70 (http://home.wi.rr.com/crazyz/dosbox-0.70)
dosbox.conf (http://home.wi.rr.com/crazyz/dosbox.conf)

I'm still trying to iron out a few more bugs (I know there's no sound) and when I do I'll put a source tarball up.

As usual with DOSBOX Releases let them that understand the file system and settings help the newcomers to this but enjoy what could be an awesome release for the PSP.

Download Above and Give Your Feedback And Compatability Reports Via Comments

parkermauney
July 22nd, 2007, 21:05
Awesome. I'll wait for the stable release though.

Tesseract
July 22nd, 2007, 21:19
Any chance that a version could be put together that doesn't require posession of an Enigma Machine to type text? ;)

Sterist
July 22nd, 2007, 21:43
baaazing!

so far there's been about 5 awesome homebrews released intime for my flight on tuesday

only thing better that could happen now is daedalus R13 getn released tomorrow :)
__________________________________________________ ________________
FOR THOSE IN THE DARK

add the extension .elf to the dosbox download and launch it in a shell (such as Filemanager++)

remove the .txt extension from the config file and place it in the same folder as the above file

Axelius
July 22nd, 2007, 22:08
Hah, this thread contains already two cool slogans:

Dos Games are all the games from around 8 years and more ago
and

Any chance that a version could be put together that doesn't require posession of an Enigma Machine to type text? ;)

I like these lines: They both criticise something, but are rather funny. The first one making fun of those youngsters, who are not aware of the past of computers. And the second one ridiculing the terrible keyboard of DosBox...

gelon
July 22nd, 2007, 22:13
http://s1.massmirror.com/f8065681eb7fdca792d7355dbea7f73b.html

Here is a couple mirrors 4 pack (ebooted elf file)

Sterist
July 23rd, 2007, 01:05
the terrible keyboard of DosBox

i cant believe im sayin this either, but i disagree

just print out the .gif of the keyboard and it only takes a few hours to memorize the letter combos

as long as you avoid numbers in your executables, its perfect

the keen's require numbers to save your games, so i printed out the .gif of the keyboard, got a 3x5 index card and cut it to ~2x5 and taped it on there. now heres the best part.... fold it in half to 2x2.5 and its a perfect fit in your umd drive

SpacemanSpiff
July 23rd, 2007, 01:23
So basically, you're defending something that requires you to memorize around a hundred different key combinations when you should be able to bring up an on-screen keyboard with a single button press instead?

aTomIC
July 23rd, 2007, 01:46
Okay, big thanks to CrazyC for the fine release and Wraggster for the news. Here is the eboot thats works fine :)

http://www.emunews24.de/dosemus.html#sony%20psp257

Welshboy
July 23rd, 2007, 03:50
The real question I want to ask is will it play blake stone?????

Tesseract
July 23rd, 2007, 04:42
as long as you avoid numbers in your executables, its perfect

And avoid playing any games that require you to input a number, like... oh... just about most of the games folks would care about from the DOS era. (Civilzation can't even get STARTED unless you enter numbers.)

That was my main issue. I was looking forward to playing something like Fallout on my PSP, and was using Civ to test things out to see how they work. Heh... No Dice. I'm not even going to TRY Fallout with this setup.

An OSK shouldn't be too difficult to implement, and can go pretty quick once you get used to it. It would also cause an already grateful fanbase to hail you as a God Among Coders. The fact that DosBox uses the normal folder structure of the MS and not some disk image is beautiful. I'm already considering writing a bunch of Autoexecs to make launching favored games a tad easier.

But I can't get behind that until I can actually taste of the fruits of my labor. ;) C'mon, CrazyC... Prove your worthiness of godhood!

Sterist
July 23rd, 2007, 05:17
So basically, you're defending something that requires you to memorize around a hundred different key combinations when you should be able to bring up an on-screen keyboard with a single button press instead?

last time i checked theres only 26 in the english language

idk which language you speak lol

well, it will be however the coder makes it. dont like it? cry some more. very disrespectful to demand a feature from the people who make it or say how it ought to be

and besides, who cant memorize 26 combos? we all know wut the human mind is capable of, and 26 is a very..... very small number

if you actually look closely, the key combos are strategically mapped so that r's or s's follow e's or other common letters easily

And avoid playing any games that require you to input a number

read the very next part of my post, after what you quoted

SpacemanSpiff
July 23rd, 2007, 05:46
last time i checked theres only 26 in the english language

idk which language you speak lol

There's a lot more than 26 characters on a keyboard you know, plus you have to memorize how to capitalize stuff which basically doubles the number of combinations.

Deshevy
July 23rd, 2007, 07:37
stop your pansy bitchin
its very annoying just to read it
sterist is right and im sure an onscreen keyboard will be released in the next version
if its true that the emu is now dynamically enable then
at least alone in the dark will run full speed

Tesseract
July 23rd, 2007, 07:50
read the very next part of my post, after what you quoted

I did, and that's way more trouble than it's worth. Besides, even WITH the gif staring me in the face on my PC, I couldn't figure out how the hell to manage numbers.

stop your pansy bitchin

'pansy bitchin'? No, no... That would be if I was saying something completely useless that didn't have anything to contribute to the thread. or if I was complaining that it didn't emulate WinXP perfectly or something stupid like that. Also, I don't think anyone who's had the balls to downgrade their PSP and risk bricking a $150 piece of hardware could be called a pansy.

If it annoys you to read valid discussion, then there are plenty of other forums on the web that would be much easier on your eyes. Otherwise, grow up.

osgeld
July 23rd, 2007, 08:55
question : whats the speed approximation on this, when i ran dosbox on linux it could barley run programs that my i386dx25 smoked

this was on a pc more than 6x faster than the psp and a gb of ram, which was a cupple years ago but im wondering if i wanna fuss with this

what would you all say? 286 386 486 pentium?

hope its half way decent i could go for some portable wing commander and space quest action

BloodLust8
July 23rd, 2007, 09:19
stop your pansy bitchin
sterist is right and im sure an onscreen keyboard will be released in the next version
if its true that the emu is now dynamically enable then
at least alone in the dark will run full speed

you tell them dog.
the author that ported dosbox to psp is doing a great job. i can't wait to try this new version.

dgila
July 23rd, 2007, 12:07
wow Fuzzy's world of miniature space golf is working!!

but this dosbox version runs very very slow and no sound
I'll have to wait the stable version

tvrstl
July 23rd, 2007, 12:52
does Ports of Call work on this:D?

Ambirion
July 23rd, 2007, 12:55
Simultaneous pressing of keys does not work = (

[Update]
I do not understand the nature of occurrence of this error on DN start:

Exit to error: DynrecCore: Illegal option in DYn_grp_eb

[Update]
Crashing at attempt to increase value of parameter memsize=4

Murdock
July 23rd, 2007, 15:28
have u guys already tried this? I mean I didn't d/l the two files from the first post, but I took the reday-to-go version of the 4th or 5th one ...

I mean I can start this, but it doesn't work pretty well. An app (or game) takes hours to load and when I want to exit the DOSBOX by hitting home it crashes ...

hmm, this does not seem to be an advancement to me ... I mean the last release was cool since some games began to work .. but this one ... but maybe I'm just doing sth. wrong ...

dgila
July 23rd, 2007, 19:20
it is slow but I think it will be solved when the "final" release comes
it can load more games than the older version
supaplex is full speed in game (not in the menu)

Deshevy
July 24th, 2007, 09:01
I did, and that's way more trouble than it's worth. Besides, even WITH the gif staring me in the face on my PC, I couldn't figure out how the hell to manage numbers.

'pansy bitchin'? No, no... That would be if I was saying something completely useless that didn't have anything to contribute to the thread. or if I was complaining that it didn't emulate WinXP perfectly or something stupid like that. Also, I don't think anyone who's had the balls to downgrade their PSP and risk bricking a $150 piece of hardware could be called a pansy.

If it annoys you to read valid discussion, then there are plenty of other forums on the web that would be much easier on your eyes. Otherwise, grow up.

anyone who thinks they have balls because they risk bricking their psp is a bitch in my eyes

valid discussion does not include whining about a beta program

If anyone has to grow up its you pussy

Ive tried alone in the dark 1 and 2 and they are running perfectly
just no music

Ambirion
July 24th, 2007, 20:00
Ambi Pack 0.4 with Dos Navigator

http://rapidshare.com/files/44536576/_PSP_...k_0.4_.rar.html
http://stream.ifolder.ru/2762198
http://depositfiles.com/files/1293396

Ennohex
July 24th, 2007, 20:26
Hmmm... I wonder if this will be able to run the dos based romconverter for mvspsp? It would save a lot of space if you could create the cache before playing a rom and then deleting it when you're done.

Just a thought

Vindicare
July 25th, 2007, 07:51
Thanks to CrazyC and anyone working on Dosbox for PSP...
For me, this is the most anticipated emulator/homebrew ever. Ever since it's first release a couple of weeks ago, I considered it the greatest thing that ever happened to my PSP.

Keep on rocking.

stika
August 9th, 2007, 19:56
The real question I want to ask is will it play blake stone?????

the REAL real questio is: will it play dune 2?

jurkevicz
August 9th, 2007, 20:19
Any Speed increasements?