PDA

View Full Version : Snape's Patronus

dlevene
July 22nd, 2007, 23:20
Ok, question: in the Pensieve near the end, when Dumbledore told Snape Harry must die, Snape has a bit of a grumble and then produces his Patronus which proceeds to go out of the window. Dumbledore tearily asks: "After all this time?" and Snape answers "Always".

What is this all about?? I cannot figure it out.

Also, while you're here, why was Draco the master of the Elder Wand, and how did Harry know?

Thanks!!

psykke
July 22nd, 2007, 23:27
Dumbledore asks snape if he cares for harry then snape casts his patronus which is a doe, the same as harry mother and says always, meaning hehas always cared for harry because of his love for lily shown in the memories and the fact that he has the same patronus as her.

Draco was the one who disarmed the elder wand from dumbledore meaning it was passed on to him now. You dont have to kill to gain ownership it just must be taken against the will of its current master or something like that

dlevene
July 22nd, 2007, 23:35
Genius

BookHeart
July 23rd, 2007, 09:14
excluding the sixth book can you think the hints jk left to prove that snape loved lily?

Vendelay
July 23rd, 2007, 12:15
Draco was the one who disarmed the elder wand from dumbledore meaning it was passed on to him now. You dont have to kill to gain ownership it just must be taken against the will of its current master or something like that
But how could Harry become the master of the Elder Wand? He didn't take it from Draco, he took Draco's other wand. That wand will be his, but how could he become master of the Elder Wand? I didn't understand when Harry explained it in the book.

Raach.16
July 23rd, 2007, 12:46
But how could Harry become the master of the Elder Wand? He didn't take it from Draco, he took Draco's other wand. That wand will be his, but how could he become master of the Elder Wand? I didn't understand when Harry explained it in the book.

draco has disarmed dumbledore at the top of the twoer before he died, whilst dumbledore was the master of the edler wand, by disarming him, malfoy became the new master, but didnt know this as he never had the wand, it was buried with dumbledore, and so when harry disarmed malfoy, he became the owner of the elder wand. it doesnt matter which wand he took , he still disarmed him so became the new master of it

Dobby
July 23rd, 2007, 12:50
The wands both had the same owner. Both belonged to Draco. Therefore they had the connection. So they wouldn't duel correctly against each other.

My personal explination is that when Harry makes his speech he is claiming the Elder wand from Draco alongside the wand he had physically taken. Making it rightfully his in wand lore. The Elderwand became Harrys just instants before the small duel.

I just can't believe that yet again Expelliarmus saved his life.

Raach.16
July 23rd, 2007, 12:52
the elder wand became harrys when he disarmed malfoy in his house he says 'i disarmed him weeks ago'

marsbarluvr
July 23rd, 2007, 13:24
I love that harrys signature spell killed voldy

although, wasnt snape the master of the elder wand because he killed dd and thats why voldy killed snape? and if draco disarmed dd...and got the elder wand...didnt he keep it or something? harry never got that wand from draco, he got it from voldy. :confused: so much to remember...

bkzcici
July 23rd, 2007, 22:16
DO YOU READ?

Snape and Dumbledore had planned the death scene together. So Snape didn't defeat Dumbledore. Before Snape came along, Malfoy was the one who had Dumbledore down and disarmed him. So Malfoy was the new master. Malfoy never got the elder wand. He knew nothing about it. "Holding" the wand doesn't mean ownership. The wand senses and knows the owner without the owner touching it. So it doesn't matter if Harry didn't get the wand from Malfoy.

xxellexx
July 24th, 2007, 15:46
I am unsure myself how to interpret this particular memory of Snape's.

It could, on one hand, mean that yes Snape had always cared about Harry because he was Lily's son. Dumby asks if Snape did come to care for Harry, Snape says for him, casts a doe patronus (because that was what Lily's was) and when asked 'After all this time', Snape says 'Always' meaning, yes i have always cared for Harry because i cared for Lily.

Or does he mean, when asked if he cares for Harry-No, i just cared about his mum Lily. I think this is more likely because when asked if he has come to care for Harry he says for him. Emphasis on the italics, i.e. he is shocked or scandalised by the fact Dumby even thinks this can be true. He then casts the doe to show and represent to Dumby who he really cares for and why caring for this person (Lily, obv because the patronus is a doe like hers) means that he does not want Harry to die. Not because he likes or cares for Harry but because he cares for Lily and has sworn to protect her son because its what she would have wanted. And when Dumby asks 'after all this time' he says 'always' meaning i have always cared for Lily.

Tell me your views.

i'd like this questions posed to JK herself because its really bugging me! agh

padfoots
July 24th, 2007, 16:24

It could, on one hand, mean that yes Snape had always cared about Harry because he was Lily's son. Dumby asks if Snape did come to care for Harry, Snape says for him, casts a doe patronus (because that was what Lily's was) and when asked 'After all this time', Snape says 'Always' meaning, yes i have always cared for Harry because i cared for Lily.

Or does he mean, when asked if he cares for Harry-No, i just cared about his mum Lily. I think this is more likely because when asked if he has come to care for Harry he says for him. Emphasis on the italics, i.e. he is shocked or scandalised by the fact Dumby even thinks this can be true. He then casts the doe to show and represent to Dumby who he really cares for and why caring for this person (Lily, obv because the patronus is a doe like hers) means that he does not want Harry to die. Not because he likes or cares for Harry but because he cares for Lily and has sworn to protect her son because its what she would have wanted. And when Dumby asks 'after all this time' he says 'always' meaning i have always cared for Lily.

Tell me your views.

well that what i think too^^

padfoots
July 24th, 2007, 16:27
sth is wrong: why didn't malfoy received the elder wand when he said "expelliarmus"??

albus-severus-potter
July 24th, 2007, 16:45

Tell me your views.

disagree, i think it was pretty easily written that Both dumbledore and Snape were reffering to Harry, the doe was just to show why; his love for Lily. Dumbledore wasnt a stupid man, he knew snape loved Lily and knew he cared for Harry hence the italics ure talking about.

xxellexx
July 24th, 2007, 22:40
I want 2 believe that snape cared 4 harry and was refering 2 him but i remain unconvinced

psykke
July 25th, 2007, 03:42
sth is wrong: why didn't malfoy received the elder wand when he said "expelliarmus"??

because expelliarmus doesnt bring the opponents wand to you it only disarms it. by disarming dumbledore malfoy became the true master of the elder wand. malfoy had no idea that it was the elder wand therefore he had no reason to take it and use it as his own.

actually using the wand is not essential in being its master. snape didnt become the new master because the wand already belonged to malfoy when snape killed dd. when harry disarmed malfoy he became the new owner of the wand although malfoy had never even used it.

but yes i too choose to believe that snape always cared for harry very much but he also hated james so it kinda balanced out his attitude and behavior toward harry.

padfoots
July 25th, 2007, 14:24
because expelliarmus doesnt bring the opponents wand to you it only disarms it. by disarming dumbledore malfoy became the true master of the elder wand. malfoy had no idea that it was the elder wand therefore he had no reason to take it and use it as his own.

actually using the wand is not essential in being its master. snape didnt become the new master because the wand already belonged to malfoy when snape killed dd. when harry disarmed malfoy he became the new owner of the wand although malfoy had never even used it.

but yes i too choose to believe that snape always cared for harry very much but he also hated james so it kinda balanced out his attitude and behavior toward harry.

well each time harry said expelliarmus in the story he received his opponent's wand( one exemple: he received the elderwand from voldemort when he sad expelliarmus)
so logycally malfoy should have received the elderwand when he disarmed dumbledore