PDA

View Full Version : No More Game Boy?

JKKDARK
July 23rd, 2007, 02:10
via IGN (http://gameboy.ign.com/articles/805/805605p1.html)

Thanks to the incredible success of the DS, it's possible Nintendo may be waving good bye to the Game Boy - which has been going strong since 1989 - as George Harrison confirms the company may never return to one of its best know brands.

Speaking to GameDaily BIZ, senior vice president of marketing and corporate communications George Harrison revealed: "This year in our marketing you really won't see much push against Game Boy itself, so it will kind of seek its own level. It's hard to say in the future if we will ever bring back the Game Boy trademark."

Back in 2005, Nintendo launched the DS as the 'third pillar' of its hardware line-up, alongside Game Boy and its home console. However, the DS's meteoric rise has apparently put the kibosh on any plans to release a Game Boy Advance 2.

However, Harrison noted that dropping the Game Boy name in favour of the untested DS brand wasn't an easy decision. "It was a big risk for us to actually pass on it and call the new product the Nintendo DS," he revealed, "but it was part of Mr. Iwata's philosophy that if we're going to make a radical difference and try to reach a new audience, then we have to change the name... we had to make a break even though we had one of the greatest trademarks in the history of the industry."

Elven6
July 23rd, 2007, 02:14
That's a stupid decision, what the hell were Nintendo thinking?

steve520
July 23rd, 2007, 02:21
Oh im thinking of my first gameboy. I will miss this name.

pt9087
July 23rd, 2007, 02:31
Aww bye gameboy!

pibs
July 23rd, 2007, 02:39
dang no more gba games :(

V3N0M
July 23rd, 2007, 02:49
Well isn't the DS essentially a Game Boy? I mean just because the name is not 'Game Boy DS' doesn't make it something entirely different. What I'm getting at is the Nintendo DS is the successor to Nintendo's Game Boy franchise so why classify it as something totally different?

maxipower90
July 23rd, 2007, 03:18
the GB series will never die, they should of called gameboy DS or some crap like that

felonyr301
July 23rd, 2007, 03:25
DS was never meant to be the next gameboy, it was more of a gimmick but to their surprise it was a success.

If the DS was a fluke the real game boy would of been something to go against the psp. Probably more advanced than the DS in graphics.

Too bad it got to popular and they gonna stick with this for a while. I'm gonna miss it, I was waiting for the new game boy to come out for me to buy it instead of the DS because it was not the successor but that's out the window.

xg917
July 23rd, 2007, 03:31
so in their next generation handhelds they arent going to add gameboy support?? damm..

Nicko01
July 23rd, 2007, 03:52
lol... i dont care about this at all.
I like the name changes.
It's more interesting than sony PS, PS1, PS2, PS3, PSP, PSP slim and lite, PS2 slim....

Veskgar
July 23rd, 2007, 04:23
I sort of think of the DS/DS Lite as the "next-gen" Game Boy anyway.

Although I will be sad when they stop publishing new GBA games. I play a lot of GBA on my PSP thanks to Exophase and the amazing gpSP. It still appears for now at least there are a few GBA games still trickling out each month.

I had just about all the Game Boy systems over the years. All except the Micro because I'd like to keep my eyesight.

The Game Boy will always live on and be preserved in my PSP thanks to the great emulators.

ish420ism
July 23rd, 2007, 04:44
The gameboy name WILL be back. Maybe in the future. I know for certain that if the gameboy dissapears for sometime and nintendo were to release another handheld with the gameboy name, there be a rush bigger than the DS. Am I correct fanboys??
Micro is kind of cool, especially if you get the new flashcarts for it. I think they reach a wopping 16gb. Thats alot of media on a tiny, cute device.

maxipower90
July 23rd, 2007, 05:12
GB will never die, its a legend

Aryn
July 23rd, 2007, 06:05
The Nintendo DS can still offer the same style of gameplay and is also compatible with Gameboy Advance games so this is not a real loss in the end. I hope this means we will eventually see a DS 2 with the same processing and graphics capabilities as a PSP in the near future.

wolfpack
July 23rd, 2007, 06:55
think of it this way, the next gen handhelds that are coming out next will probably have xbox graphics. in my opinion, that would be the ULTIMATE gameboy, if they decided to save the franchise name.

Psychondrius
July 23rd, 2007, 07:27
GameBoy, DS... They're the same, aren't they? Even if gameboy games become obsolete on new systems, you still have the PSP to emulate them.

osgeld
July 23rd, 2007, 08:18
eh gameboy

i didnt get a ol cream and spinach one untill way after the color ones were out but i did get the old style GBA the day it came out

and i remember how dissapointed i was that it couldnt do anything 3d in games (shure theres some awesome 3d demos but those scenes are so tiny ...) wow a 32 bit gb that took me right back to my 16 bit days, but for 50 bucks a pop

same with the ds, not much i want to do with a n64 and 2 touch screens, i got over the touch screen hoopla years ago with my pocket pc's

no im not a nintendo fan, and no i dont want to play on systems 10+ years old, the psp suits me fine, last gen's power in my hand, and its moddable what more can i ask for at this point in time for a portable game system

centralpark713
July 23rd, 2007, 09:18
too badd gameboy n-e ways ds is better

tvrstl
July 23rd, 2007, 11:52
the only thing about ds is that it can't play the good old games for the black & white gameboy only.

sure, i have an old gameboy, and a gameboy advance, but they're going away with the time. so what do we do then?

Klaus2
July 23rd, 2007, 12:01
the only thing about ds is that it can't play the good old games for the black & white gameboy only.

sure, i have an old gameboy, and a gameboy advance, but they're going away with the time. so what do we do then?

Use an Gameboy Emulator for DS/Advance, who wants fat outsticking Gameboy carts.

Greets
Klaus

tvrstl
July 23rd, 2007, 12:17
Use an Gameboy Emulator for DS/Advance, who wants fat outsticking Gameboy carts.

Greets
Klaus

Actually I want:D

doin' it the original style:P

blackrave
July 23rd, 2007, 12:55
The PSP can emulate all Nintendo machines, except DS and Wii, so that's a good alternative. :p

jinqui242
July 23rd, 2007, 13:26
I just finished Zelda: Minish Cap on my PSP. Such an excellent game! I could have played it on my DS, but the screen is so small (but nice and bright) and you can't remap the buttons like you can in gpSP. I still have to get around to finishing Golden Sun 2 and Sword of Mana, on my PSP of course.

HumanIce
July 23rd, 2007, 14:58
they should have made DS an "Gameboy DS" that would be awesome, so the name would continue.. but I think the games that came out for gameboy advance were better than any of the games for DS or PSP..
I use my PSP to play PS1 games or GBA all the time.. GBA is an awesome console.. I personally think they should continue with the 2D metroid games since gameboy advance, they were so awesome.. and make it online with battle mode and capture the bag.. in an 2D Metroid.. just think about how awesome that would be..

Sonicboy 101
July 23rd, 2007, 15:03
No more game boy? :(

The PSP can emulate all Nintendo machines, except DS and Wii, so that's a good alternative. :p

Yup! :D

alucard001
July 23rd, 2007, 18:14
R.i.p. Gameboy

Gold Line
July 23rd, 2007, 18:43
maybe Nintendo will make 2 handhelds like they did with the GBMicro and DS

you naughty pirate! :rofl:

Shrygue
July 23rd, 2007, 18:54
What's this? Nintendo wants to drop the Game Boy brand? That is such a bad move to do... :(

JKKDARK
July 23rd, 2007, 19:11

Virtual Boy...

Gold Line
July 23rd, 2007, 19:21

Virtual Boy...

game and watch...

Elmarco
July 23rd, 2007, 20:01
Gameboy is going? THERE IS NO GOD!
Totally unrelated-------> I used to call it GayBoy. God knows what it must have sounded like when i told the santa at the mall what i wanted for christmas...

felonyr301
July 23rd, 2007, 20:09
I hope they do bring it out in the future a true next gen gameboy that will probably be as strong as the xbox or a lil better or at least an dreamcast lol maybe not that far but obviously it would mean stronger than the psp!!

JKKDARK
July 23rd, 2007, 20:25
Their next handheld should be with similar graphics to the Gamecube. The DS is very similar to Nintendo 64 ;)

Freeter
July 24th, 2007, 02:07
OG Gameboy owner, SML and Tetris were too good :thumbup:

DS as a 'third pillar'....:rolleyes: That's the same as Kutaragi saying the PS1 and PS2 can 'co-exist' :rofl: DS was a business tactic from Nintendo, if it tanked then they would've rolled out a GBA2 to compete with PSP's specs. Fortunately, DS not only succeeded, it skyrocketed, and thus GBA2 is no longer necessary.

GB will always remain a legend, but DS truly is the future :cool:

ish420ism
July 24th, 2007, 03:05
Gameboy is going? THERE IS NO GOD!
Totally unrelated-------> I used to call it GayBoy. God knows what it must have sounded like when i told the santa at the mall what i wanted for christmas...

I hope Santa didn't get wood.:eek:
Your such a ***.:rofl: Just Joking:rofl:

mcdougall57
July 24th, 2007, 23:57
farethewell gameboy pocket

skipboris
July 25th, 2007, 00:21
The DS is the perfect combo of price, innovation and power. Its all in balance. With future technologies, and prces dropping, however, I doubt you will need 2 screens to pull off what the DS does. So, I kinda think the "DS" might get dropped by the next iteration. I do think that the touch screen is here to stay tho. I think a worthy follow up to the DS and the gameboy would be a device with all the buttons of the DS, and 1 huge touch screen. It would need to be even bigger than the psp screen, and more powerful than the psp itself. Stick with cart based technlogies for speed and battery life. If they changed the acronym to "TS" (Touch Screen) it would still remind people of the "DS," AND they could bring back the gameboy name, effectively combining the two. "Gameboy TS." The one issue is that you would need the one huge screen to fit both ds screens for much needed backwards compatibility. Throw in the mic and some new built in features like gyro and/or rumble, and you would have one awesome gaming device on your hands (pun intended). If nintendo could do all that with a compact size and great price point, well, you know what would happen. ;)

Dull Blade
July 25th, 2007, 06:27
The PSP can emulate all Nintendo machines, except DS and Wii, so that's a good alternative.

Virtual Boy...

game and watch...

they remember the Virtual boy, but not the Game Cube!?! I thought there were supposed to be some fan boys on this site... (sigh)