PDA

View Full Version : Some questions regarding custom firmware, new user

roylazarovich
July 23rd, 2007, 10:46
Hello Everyone.

I'm thinking of buying a PSP, the store already does the downgrading and they want to put in Devhook 0.46 but I want to ask them to install a custom firmware instead.

I've got a few questions:

1. What is the best custom firmware I should have them install, I realize newer CFW have more features but are probably less stable and more prone to bugs than established CFW, all I really want is a stable firmware that will run PS1 games.

2. Are there differences between CFWs in regards to PS1 emulation compatibility? if so, which is the most compatible?

3. Lastly, Can certain PSP games automatically upgrade my firmware when I first run them? is there a way to block this from happening?

Thank you in advance :)

-Xandu-
July 23rd, 2007, 11:07
1. 3.40 OE is the best one IMO.
2. Not really, 3.40 OE has the best compatibility.
3. Don't worry, Sony doesn't force you to upgrade ;). Plus 3.40 OE has upgrade/brick protection (recovery mode).
4. Enjoy.

V3N0M
July 23rd, 2007, 11:54
Check out my 'PSP Custom Firmware Feature Reference' thread here.. http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=68856 for information on every custom firmware available for the PSP! I'm working hard to keep it as up to date a possible with the all recent interest in custom firmwares.

Oh and I would recommend M33 it has all the features of OE and more. It also receives frequent updates that are stabilizing any issues that currently exist.

roylazarovich
July 23rd, 2007, 12:00
Thanks for the replies guys.

Is it easy to update the M33 firmware or does it involve downgrading to 1.5 and than installing the updated version?

EDIT: @V3N0M - Great list, thanks!

parkermauney
July 23rd, 2007, 16:46
To update to m33 is just like cfw, accept a little bit simpler. Upgrading m33 itself is just running one of the updates.

But I've never done it before.

kjetil1991
August 2nd, 2007, 01:11
upgrading to 3.52m33 is easy more easy than daxs OE