PDA

View Full Version : thoughts?

marsbarluvr
July 23rd, 2007, 14:06
does everyone who fall in love at hogwarts get married and have children and live happily ever after (unless they die)? it's bad enough I had to accept the fact that harry was not gonna end up with luna and probably date ginny again and then rowling is cruel enough to write that 19 years later thing and brood on how happy they are together even further. she's so cruel to shippers...

but on the whole I felt the book was at times going to fast and at times really slowly. it was either find out about everything at once in one long speech/article/memory or nothing, that sort of bothered me. perhaps she was stressed when she wrote it and preassured to fit it all in the LAST book because it's the LAST one, but I know I wouldn't have minded an 8th one...

anyway, it's so cool that James was gemini...so I was close, I thought Sirius was gemini and James saggitarius but they were like bros anyway so that's cool.

also, everyone who knew harry was a crux does this :thumbup:

Vendelay
July 23rd, 2007, 14:26
I think the book would have been much better without the "19 years later" part. I hate too happy endings.

I don't agree with you about finding out everything at once or nothing at all. I think that the one thing that made this book really good, was how secrets where revealed in small portions, and not just everything at once. I also liked that I almost always figured things out before Harry. I really admire writers who can make the reader understand with just a few hints. It makes me believe in the story much more, than if I have to wait until someone explains it.

I didn't know he was a horcrux, but I had definetly thought of it as a very possible theory. But since I didn't think Harry would die, I couldn't really believe in the theory...

oops89
July 23rd, 2007, 14:26
i think harry and ginny were sole mates but me and my mum were discussing how we thort that luna was the only person who truly understood harry but i dont tink they should have been a couple but i felt that luna could have been a bigger part of the book?

i wanted harry to die! is that wrong?? i only realised it after he lived but i was so convinced that he would have to die to kill voldemort then he came back to life i was disappoint but yeah and i wanted someone who was a propper main character who in the book it built up a bond with so that when they died you were really sad i think the closest was lupin and fred but neither were as emotional as sirius! which brings me to another point...lol

in the 19 years later harry had 2 sons and a daughter james, albus-severus and lilly potter do you think he named james, james-sirius? because id really annoyed if he hadnt cause he was the one who caused sirius death and the only father (parental) kinda figure he really knew i know the weasleys kind of took him as a son but he had a different type of bond with sirius! what you think?

Dobby
July 23rd, 2007, 14:38
Harry is a Horcrux - Blew me away. The one reason that convinced me of Harry not being a Horcrux was that would mean he had to die.
So now you may all feel Smug that I was wrong!!

I would have liked to have seen what Happened to Luna. Maybe she continued her fathers paper the Quibbler - no lies.

I felt the book was slow then fast then slow then fast. But that was the point that JKR was making - This is what Harry has been dealing with over the past 6-7 years. Large amounts of information, then nothing at all. We just had to cope with what Harry has had to cope with.

There wasn't much explination of the Letter that Petunia had recieved from Dumbledore - Remember my last. I was suprised to learn that the correspondence that JKR talked of between Petunia and Dumbledore was before Lily had even started at Hogwarts. I was correct in thinking that the boy that Petunia refferred to was Snape rather that James when they had discussed Dementors.

But what of the Arch/veil - Well it was in the department of mysteries, so I suppose that is why it will remain a mystery.

JKR says she may write a Potter encyclopedia - just so she can give us all the information she has been unable to reveal within the books out of fear of making them too big. So maybe some of the mysteries will be solved - However I feel content that there is still much that can be discussed. Answers that can still be asked.

If anyone read this book in 6 hours (as I have heard) then they must have skipped details - It took me two days, and I was taking my time).

oops89
July 23rd, 2007, 14:48
it frustrates me when i work something out before the actual characters like when they were talking to luna's dad and he mentioned the wand and i automatically remembered voldemort attacking the wand makers!

but yeah it didn't really cross my mind that harry was a horcrux but i did think that to kill voldemort he would have t sacrifice himself...

but yeah it took me a solid bout 20 hours to read the book i may have slept for about 3 of them cause i was dithering and one point but i wanted to finished the book before sunday because i had to work and i didn't want to risk over hearing the ending before i read it myself which happened with the last two books which really annoyed me! if i hadn't have had to work Sunday i probably would still be reading now because i would have loved to have taken my time im not re-reading slowly so i can take it in properly i would have never been able to read it in 6 hours however i know someone who reads really fast who probably will have done and he doesn't miss anything i think it depends on the person but most people who read it in 6 hours must have missed a lot of points out!

Vendelay
July 23rd, 2007, 15:06
it frustrates me when i work something out before the actual characters like when they were talking to luna's dad and he mentioned the wand and i automatically remembered voldemort attacking the wand makers!

I also worked the wand ting out and there were a lot of other things too, more important things. But Harry always seemed to realise it just a chapter after me. So J.K probably wanted the reader to understand those...

I don't think she wanted us to know for sure about Snape until the end though, but when they found the sword I was 100 % sure it was Snape's doing.
It was so obvious. It had to be someone alive, since there were no way Dumbledore could have known they would visit that place. And only Snape would have had the possibility to switch the sword into a fake one and give the real to Harry.

oops89
July 23rd, 2007, 15:15
yeah... i didnt realise it was snape though until it told you about his pretrous! but yeah i knew it couldn't be dumbeldore because JK had made it mire than clear that he was dead i was interested about who was helping them but yeah...

i was almost certain snape was a good guy because he wavered so much between good and evil but i felt that there was a reason that he killed dumbledore not just for himself to live but he had to kill him or he would have died and yeah now i understand lol but yeah i didnt want to like snape but i felt there would be an explanation how all the things that he did were for the greater good!

do you think that in the 1st book when he is saying the counter-curse from quirrel that he is actually doing it to save harry because james saved his life like dumbledore said in the book or for lilly? or a bit of both??

Vendelay
July 23rd, 2007, 15:30
do you think that in the 1st book when he is saying the counter-curse from quirrel that he is actually doing it to save harry because james saved his life like dumbledore said in the book or for lilly? or a bit of both??
I don't know really. I think it was mostly because of Lily, but also because he actually cared about Harry. I don't think he ever hated Harry. He hated the memories which Harry reminded him of. He hated James, who looked so much like Harry.
But I'm sure he saw in Harry the qualities he liked in Lily and that he actually liked Harry. He might not have loved him as a son, but he liked him.

I don't know why he was so mean to Harry. But I think he had problem with admitting that he liked Harry, even to himself. Sometimes people reject the people they love most.
He might have been afraid of showing love again after what happened with Lily. Or Harry just reminded him too much of things he didn't wanna think about... something like that.

kmk
July 23rd, 2007, 17:27
something that really jumped out of the book at me was that riddle thought he was really clever, and the only one who could find the room of requirment. were the mountains of hidden junk not a clue that people for hundreds of years knew how to get in there? not really the safest place for a horcrux maybe? was i reading this right? i was really tired at the time. even the drunken div teacher got in there.

oops89
July 23rd, 2007, 17:40
yeah i think so but you have to remember how long ago was it that tom riddle put the cup in that room? because half of the stuff in it might not have been there! however the room gives you what you need the most so he may have worked this out and thort that the other stuff in there was simply incase any1 ever did find the room and the only thing in it was the diadem they would have worked out what it was? so the other stuff was to help hide it? i dunno?

well if you think about it it only appears when you need it the most and if any1 ever went back to find it they wouldnt be able to get it because they wouldn't know how like harry did! so no one would talk about it incase people thort they were mad!

but Tom was arrogant and thort that he was superior to everyone else and must have presumed that he could only get into like he could only get into the chamber?

i dunno really but yeah i was pretty tired when i read that bit too!

kmk
July 23rd, 2007, 17:41
on another note, i think snape really hated harry, a lot. since he was a constant reminder of the fact that james got lily in the end. however protecting the children of the woman you love/loved is just one of those things you have to do; especially when the persons dead and you cant dispute it with them! last living reminder of lily an all that.

kmk
July 23rd, 2007, 17:47
yep i reckon your right. best place to hide a tree is in the forest an all that, and it was a bit junky looking. also i suppose he didnt think any1 knew what it was, he did get it in albania or wotever! i still think voldemort's a tit tho lol

oops89
July 23rd, 2007, 17:59
well obviously hes a tit! lol but ah well

moblyblob
July 24th, 2007, 00:03
I also worked the wand ting out and there were a lot of other things too, more important things. But Harry always seemed to realise it just a chapter after me. So J.K probably wanted the reader to understand those...

I don't think she wanted us to know for sure about Snape until the end though, but when they found the sword I was 100 % sure it was Snape's doing.
It was so obvious. It had to be someone alive, since there were no way Dumbledore could have known they would visit that place. And only Snape would have had the possibility to switch the sword into a fake one and give the real to Harry.

Lol well i was stumped! I DID think it might be Ginny! I feel like a turd now, it seems absurd having read the ending, but I thought her Patronus might have changed into something like the female version of Harry's because they're all besotted n all that. And it's mentioned a few times that she's back from Hogwarts on Easter Holidays, I thought she might have followed Ron somehow to the woods but stayed hidden because she knew she'd be in trouble for leaving the house if she was caught...

In hindsight it all seems quite far-fetched now but you know, when you reading your minds goes off on theories of its own doesnt it :o

Penjo
July 24th, 2007, 01:35
i have to agree that 19 years later was so lame....i hated it.....if JK meant that was the part she had written long ago....then she should put it in the shredder!! albus severus potter??? whaaa???

oooh question....how did neville get the sword outta the hat....i thought griphook stole it hmmm???

Lemme know i was half-asleep when i was reading...mighta missed something hehe

oooh i knew harry was a horcrux:thumbup:

albus-severus-potter
July 24th, 2007, 01:42
true gryffindor pulls the srowd out the hat?

btw his name wont be albus severus potter like you people are making out! it shis middle name. So his name will be Albus Potter. Does everyone call u by ure middle name lol?

Hodster
July 24th, 2007, 07:17
Neville could pull the sword out of the hat because he was being brave by chargeing at voldy to kill the snake and since voldy was dumb enough to bring the hat out and put it on Neville's head the hat was right there so he could pull it out.

I loved that part when Neville killed the snake!

sibbie
July 24th, 2007, 07:27
I think the book would have been much better without the "19 years later" part. I hate too happy endings.

I don't agree with you about finding out everything at once or nothing at all. I think that the one thing that made this book really good, was how secrets where revealed in small portions, and not just everything at once. I also liked that I almost always figured things out before Harry. I really admire writers who can make the reader understand with just a few hints. It makes me believe in the story much more, than if I have to wait until someone explains it.

I didn't know he was a horcrux, but I had definetly thought of it as a very possible theory. But since I didn't think Harry would die, I couldn't really believe in the theory...
i usually hate happy endings myself but i think rowling is completely justified by the journey to the ending. the book was really unorthadox in a lot of ways and i thought the happy ending was kind of tounge in cheek. btw who else felt totally prepared to let harry die, that it would be alright if he did near the end?

Lily Evans
July 24th, 2007, 07:55
i wanted harry to die too, before i read the book. but now having experienced the moment when i thought Harry was walking to his death to save the people he loved - ( i was sobbing uncontrolably) - i realised i would not be able to cope if harry died, the injustice of it would haunt me forever- more tragic than shakespeare. it would just be too tragic to endure.

Even having finished the book last night, and knowing "all was well", I started crying at random moments throughout the day ( though silently, not shaking uncontrolably as i had done whilst reading) by simply remembering the moment when harry thought he was walking to his death in the book.

I don't think JKR could have finished it in a better way, but i can hardly bear the thought i'll never read a new adventure about harry ron or hermionie, and all the characters i loved.

yes, i've fallen in love with fictional characters.

gah. how embarressing. i'm sure i'll get over it.
does anyone know who hugo and rose are named after?? and who victorie is in the end??

Lily Evans
July 24th, 2007, 08:07
and why does aberforth have sirius's other mirror?? is that explained?

Lily Evans
July 24th, 2007, 08:30
and remember the locked door in the department of mysteries?? what happened to that??? Dumbledore said it contained the source that could defeat voldy.... i wonder why JKR put that in there.

Dobby
July 24th, 2007, 13:56
The room I think you are refering to was in OotP. The room was said to hold Love - the one quality that Dumbledore believed Voldemort lacked, the one quality that would be his down fall.

Just because the room wasn't mentioned in the final book does not mean that its relevance went unnoticed.

Dobby
July 24th, 2007, 14:02
true gryffindor pulls the srowd out the hat?

btw his name wont be albus severus potter like you people are making out! it shis middle name. So his name will be Albus Potter. Does everyone call u by ure middle name lol?

Just by coincidence - My sister is called Leisa Marie and we all call her Marie - My Daughter is Amy Jade and everyone calls her Jade.
So its not uncommon to be called by your middle name.

Severus isn't the bad part of the name - it was Snape.
In order to destinguish which Albus we are talking about I believe it is necessary to add the Severus or Dumbledore to aviod confusion.

Hodster
July 24th, 2007, 16:06
Aberforth had Sirius's mirror because it was one of the things Mundungus stole from his house and Aberforth bought it off Mundungus. Dumbledor then told Aberforth what the mirror was and what it was for.

padfoots
July 24th, 2007, 16:13
anyway i think too that sth doesn't wk with it
i also think that voldmort should have prevented all risks and take it away from hogwards.
and why did voldemort use the elder wand with all the risks he may have? ??e could have taken any other wand!! harry didn't have any more his phenix wand!

Koblizzy
July 24th, 2007, 22:07
If anyone has read my thread "Ending God or Bad?" you will know my thoughts. Here is what I said though.

"the epilogue was a bit cheesy. did anyone but me also notice that if it was nineteen years later. Harry was 36 and already had an eleven year old son? isn't he a bit young? and that means that Ginny was 35. I still thought that it was too predictable that Ron would marry Hermione and Ginny would marry Harry. J.K. Rowling could've killed off Ron, and that would make an interesting chick-fight over Harry I think that Hermione would've won..."

I think that the whole 19 years later thing was pretty pointless. This is supposed to be the last book, which is the darkest, and there shouldn't be a happy ending...

xxellexx
July 24th, 2007, 22:36
yea i'd like 2 think he'd called james, james-sirius, it only seems the right thing 2 do. I love that he called Albus, Albus Severus 2

paddfoot2
August 15th, 2007, 11:07
i think the thing voldy was arter in OOtP was the eldar wand

Swimkid
August 15th, 2007, 23:29
If anyone has read my thread "Ending God or Bad?" you will know my thoughts. Here is what I said though.

"the epilogue was a bit cheesy. did anyone but me also notice that if it was nineteen years later. Harry was 36 and already had an eleven year old son? isn't he a bit young? and that means that Ginny was 35. I still thought that it was too predictable that Ron would marry Hermione and Ginny would marry Harry. J.K. Rowling could've killed off Ron, and that would make an interesting chick-fight over Harry I think that Hermione would've won..."

I think that the whole 19 years later thing was pretty pointless. This is supposed to be the last book, which is the darkest, and there shouldn't be a happy ending...

This isn't supossed to be the darkest just the most intense and emotionally charged. I thought the 19 years later thing was put in there quite well. It shows the new beginning of the wizarding age now that Voldemort is gone.

I agree with hermione winning the chick-fight... She's a freaking hottie.