PDA

View Full Version : Ok, this is just getting tiresome.....

Elmarco
July 23rd, 2007, 18:56
Is anybody else sick of the fact that game industries somehow never tire of trying to shrink down their consoles? Thats not exactly the problem, the problem is they take a console that already exists, change the name to something like slim or lite and bump the price of it to even higher than the chunky original. I don't get the point. Why waste money buying the slimmer models when we've already bought the original? :confused: what do you guys think?

Shadowblind
July 23rd, 2007, 18:59
Yes. Thats why I still use my DS Phat.

gu3
July 23rd, 2007, 19:00
yer i agree, i meen i still have an xbox 1 and they are masive! but it is an awesum console and i wouldnt like it any better if it was abit smaller.

Gold Line
July 23rd, 2007, 19:03
i agree. like this new psp it looks the same as the old one! cant we just keep the one we have, i'm happy with it.

ICE
July 23rd, 2007, 19:05
lol i had a ds fat and bought a lite the day it came out..

i agree to a point. going from ds to ds lite was great. the first ds looked like a beta.

psp to psp slim.. eh not so much. it looks the same..

what im saying is if they slim down the consolee correctly then i have no problem with it. what sony did is.. kinda crappy lol

steve520
July 23rd, 2007, 19:15
Thats what I dont get to I got my PS2 first day it came out then I heard of the PS2 slim and everybody wanted to get one and I was like whats the point you already have one. Thats what they get though overheating. haha

Shrygue
July 23rd, 2007, 19:21
Same here, I prefer the old PS2 over the slim one. As for the redesigned PSP... well I most probably won't get one of those as I have 4 units of the current ones.

Elmarco
July 23rd, 2007, 19:29
I prefer the older more chunkier consoles, as they seem to be more sturdy and hard waring. Ive dropped my DS, bitten it in frustration :D and left it in dusty places for long periods of time, and the ol' gal is still up and runnin'.

steve520
July 23rd, 2007, 19:42
Oh yeah definantly the olds are alot harder to break Ive done the same thing with my DS phat it hasnt broke once and I my PS2 has worked since the day it came out and no probelms at all and trust me i have dropped it a few times.

Evon von Vampdragn
July 23rd, 2007, 20:34
I understand your point but some people get bored easily, thats why i don't get a new console for a while because they make a new one based on the complaints they get, everything needs a second look at it.

I prefer the older more chunkier consoles, as they seem to be more sturdy and hard waring. Ive dropped my DS, bitten it in frustration :D and left it in dusty places for long periods of time, and the ol' gal is still up and runnin'.

You gave it a gender?:confused:

Sonicboy 101
July 23rd, 2007, 20:37
Same for me.
All the consoles I have are the first ones and not the remakes.

ninja9393
July 23rd, 2007, 20:37
i only have a ds lite cause i didnt have a phat and the lite seemed worth the extra $20.00

BrooksyX
July 23rd, 2007, 21:07
I think half of the reasons companies remake consoles is because it is a lot cheaper for them. If they can make a console for half of the size and charge the same price as the bigger one they are going to make more money.

This may not always be true because smaller components can cost more money but usually advancements in technology allow components to be made smaller and cost less money than a larger one that performs the same task. One example would be when the Xbox 360 finally recieves 65nm CPUs and GPUs. Microsoft is supposed to save a considerable amount of money on each 360 made with these smaller processors.

ICE
July 23rd, 2007, 21:32
am i the only one here that thought the first ds looked like a beta? like they werent done with it yet? lol

Elmarco
July 23rd, 2007, 21:33
am i the only one here that thought the first ds looked like a beta? like they werent done with it yet? lol
I'm looking at mine right now. Yeah it kinda does.

PLZKLLME0080
July 23rd, 2007, 21:41
omg i hate when they do that. they should just make a whole new consol instead of taking one and making it smaller.

Elmarco
July 23rd, 2007, 21:59
The thing that annoys me is that, most of the time, they don't even add anything new. No new features or anything. It just......... smaller and thats it.

Evon von Vampdragn
July 23rd, 2007, 22:02
Well you know what they say, the bigger they are the harder they fall. So maybe the fall won't be as damaging.

Gold Line
July 23rd, 2007, 22:02
the ds light is ok because its brighter, louder and has a much better d-pad also the mic is in a better place.

Elmarco
July 23rd, 2007, 22:06
the ds light is ok because its brighter, louder and has a much better d-pad also the mic is in a better place.
Yeah, thats one thing i can agree with, but what was the point in slimming the PS2? Again, no added features, just reduced size.

Accordion
July 23rd, 2007, 22:10
Yeah, thats one thing i can agree with, but what was the point in slimming the PS2? Again, no added features, just reduced size.

WRONG!

it has inbuilt ethernet port.

seriously though, if you have a problem with companies making better, cheaper hardware aimed at new consumers then there is something wrong with you.

¿STAND STILL?

Shrygue
July 23rd, 2007, 22:11
There was the removal of the expansion bay to house a 3.5" IDE hard drive inside the orginal PS2...

Elmarco
July 23rd, 2007, 22:13
I never knew that. It might help for me to do a little research before i say something then. and i don't have a problem with them making things better. JUST DONT FIX WOT AINT BROKEN!

WRONG!
ARGH!! Me ear drum!

Evon von Vampdragn
July 23rd, 2007, 22:36

Which clearly makes it much better then the ds phat. This whole thing is like weight watchers.

Accordion
July 24th, 2007, 00:03
I never knew that. It might help for me to do a little research before i say something then. and i don't have a problem with them making things better. JUST DONT FIX WOT AINT BROKEN!

ARGH!! Me ear drum!

I think if each revision adds value to the product[not cost] then it is a good thing. the ps2 slim was a massive size difference, removed a underused port[which took up half of the old machine] and added internet compatibility straight out the box.

even with not so drastic changes, its important to note the intended consumer is not those who already own an earlier revision of the product.

of course the DS was rushed into production to dampen the impact of the PSP, and the success of the lite, only adds to the evidence that the original DS was a prototype and shouldn't of been a consumer product

Just be glad consoles dont undergo an ipod-like production cycle…

Evon von Vampdragn
July 24th, 2007, 00:08
Oh crap an i-pod production cycle, god videos games wouldn't exist

ICE
July 24th, 2007, 00:11
if you dont like the remakes dont buy them. theres no real right or wrong here its just whether or not you think the value of the remake is worth the money.

Elmarco
July 24th, 2007, 00:15
I think anyone who is considering buying a remake should check around on the net for its features, or better still look at a friends. That will save someone a lot of dissapointment if they find out nothings changed except size. Thats unless the buyer wants it PURELY for the size reduction. There we go, case closed! :D

Evon von Vampdragn
July 24th, 2007, 00:19
Yet so many things still opened.

kcajblue
July 24th, 2007, 03:49
the only reason i got a ds lite was because my first ds's screen had horrible calibration, so i got it exchanged for a new one.
then that ones screen randomly cracked and you couldnt see anything on the top screen.
and that meant i had to get a new one.

and then, the lites came out and that means no more old ds.
because they always get rid of the old console/handheld/whatever when a new version comes out.

Elmarco
July 24th, 2007, 14:21
Thats sucks. My friend has a DS phat, and the top screen has completely came off on one side. This is due to the fact that he ripped it off in anger.

Mr. Shadow
July 24th, 2007, 14:32
I destoryed me ps1 by putting it on a train track, then i just sit back and watch the fireworks.