PDA

View Full Version : The final battle (don't read if you havent finished book!)

Novello2410
July 23rd, 2007, 22:19
right so here we are. Voldemort and Harry. Face to face at last.

Even tho harrys allready been killed (sigh) but is back to life again.. suprise suprise

now i was expecting an amazing scene. Hoping that harry had learnt some decent spells throughout the last 7 years. Even that Sectumcepsrespwhatever that was in the half blood prince. That would've been a decent spell to use. Yet no.. here we have the most powerful wizard of all time and some 17 year old who got saved by his mummy. expelliarmus.. expelliarmus is the spell that harry chose to use in what could possibly his dying moments and he still manages to win!

sorry but in my opinion this is absolutely ridiculous. You'd at least use a killing curse or something.

I don't know about you, but i feel this was the biggest anticlimax to the entire series of books. I finished the book yesterday morning and i'm STILL annoyed at this. For some reason it keeps bugging me.. expelliarmus! for god's sake! aaaah!

oh and one more thing. I feel the 19 years later was completely unnecessary! How typical, Harry and Ginny.. Ron and hermoine. And the fact that his kids are named after Dumbledore and harrys parents is even more confusing! It took me about 15 minutes just to read thoes 5 pages because of all the names and stuff.

Now i know it can't be re-written or anything and this thread is probably going to lead nowhere but i just had to get it off my chest!

i've loved the harry potter books ever since they first came out. I even went at midnight (yes i'm cool) to get the 7th one. I was so looking foward to the end of the book. Expecting a huge battle. The death of either Ron, Hermione or even Harry. But no. Voldemort is killed by expelliarmus and everyone gets married and has kids.

i feel really let down. I would actualy have been happier if the book ended with Harry being killed in the forbidden forrest and then neville or someone killiing Nagini and Hermione Killing voldemort. That would've been much more satisfactory. I know that couldn't have happen cause its a kids book and stuff... however thoes of us who are no longer 12 i feel would've been pleased by a much more adult and (although upsetting) satisfactory ending.

It's a real shame i've had to write this. I've loved harry for so long and now i never want to read one of the books again :( ...

Does anyone else agree?

albus-severus-potter
July 23rd, 2007, 22:41
i completely disagree, are u forgetting dumbledore telling harry that he couldnt kill voldermort with hate? Hate would mean using a killing curse against voldermort. I think although i may have read wrong, that because the Elder wand was harrys, wen voldermort tried to use the wand on its rightful owner the spell rebounded and the Avada Kedavra curse hit voldermort. You wanted the death of one of the 3 main characters? The people we have been reading grow up and their death, in my opinion, would be "unnesseray". Also you wanted hermoine to kill voldermort? Why?!?.. The whole time dumbledore was training harry to meet his end, the man who killed his parents and u wanted hermoine to do it? The end, yes was cheesy, was cool in my opinion it showed that harry finally had a family after all those years. Even though it never said anything about other characters, i dont realy care.

Novello2410
July 23rd, 2007, 22:54
i completely disagree, are u forgetting dumbledore telling harry that he couldnt kill voldermort with hate? Hate would mean using a killing curse against voldermort. I think although i may have read wrong, that because the Elder wand was harrys, wen voldermort tried to use the wand on its rightful owner the spell rebounded and the Avada Kedavra curse hit voldermort. You wanted the death of one of the 3 main characters? The people we have been reading grow up and their death, in my opinion, would be "unnesseray". Also you wanted hermoine to kill voldermort? Why?!?.. The whole time dumbledore was training harry to meet his end, the man who killed his parents and u wanted hermoine to do it? The end, yes was cheesy, was cool in my opinion it showed that harry finally had a family after all those years. Even though it never said anything about other characters, i dont realy care.

not hermione in paticular
anyone other than harry
and yes i understand the whole rebound of the spell thing. It's just annoying that there wasn't anything more dramatic than harry getting lucky and voldemort being careless once again.
I know it would've been sad to kill one of the main three but i feel it was stupid how harry could come back to life.
I personally would've been satisfied if harry died in the forbidden forrest (as dumbledor had intended him too, seeing as he was a horcrux) and then neville killed nagini... like in the book
but rather than harry coming back to life miraculously one of the others.. ANYONE.. should have finished voldemort off. Possibly one of the Malfoys as revenge on what Voldemort put their family through.. and as repayment for Harry sparing Draco's life so many times....

i mean i don't really know. I'm obviously not an author..
i'm glad you were satisfied with the ending, i personally was dissapointed and i know you don't share my view but i'm sure there are others who do xxx

albus-severus-potter
July 23rd, 2007, 23:01
harry never truly died! he Wasnt realy "dead" that was all as dumbledore put it, "in his head", and dumbledore never intended harry to die! he knew that by voldermort using harrys blood the protevting from his mother lived on and harry would survive. Another proof ahrry never died was that JKR stated in the book that voldermort was getting helped to his feet and harry knew that voldermort was "out cold" as long as harry was, So Voldermort was dead also?

Novello2410
July 23rd, 2007, 23:06
despite all of this intricate detail you insit on going into... there's no denying the end was rubbish. I expected more of JKR than a 'harry wasn't actualy dead, harry killed voldemort, everyone lived happily ever after'

albus-severus-potter
July 23rd, 2007, 23:17
true, i agree with you. But i think harry surviving was for the "greater good" xD

akim6890
July 24th, 2007, 00:42
it would have be way cooler
if harry actually died but instead voldemort's soul lived in harry's body so then voldemort would sacrifice his own body and naigini to pull of this huge scandal on everyone making them think he was dead but then he would rise to power again and just killl everyone but that kind of happened already in the 7th book

TheWalrus90
July 24th, 2007, 01:01
harry never truly died! he Wasnt realy "dead" that was all as dumbledore put it, "in his head", and dumbledore never intended harry to die! he knew that by voldermort using harrys blood the protevting from his mother lived on and harry would survive. Another proof ahrry never died was that JKR stated in the book that voldermort was getting helped to his feet and harry knew that voldermort was "out cold" as long as harry was, So Voldermort was dead also?

I think that what happened in the forest is pretty obvious. First of all, both Harry and Voldemort Blacked out, Fainted or whatever and went to this kind of limbo between life and death representer with the station. Voldemort was that poor creature beyond help, that was what remained of hos soul after the Horcruxes and why Harry in the last fight told him to try for some remorfe for he knew what he will become (talking about the creature). Also, you know that voldemort went to that place also because Dumbledore tells Harry:"I know this, Harry, that you have less fear from RETURNING HERE than he does". Which means that both of them were at that place.

xoroxmysoxox
July 24th, 2007, 01:42

Even tho harrys allready been killed (sigh) but is back to life again.. suprise suprise

now i was expecting an amazing scene. Hoping that harry had learnt some decent spells throughout the last 7 years. Even that Sectumcepsrespwhatever that was in the half blood prince. That would've been a decent spell to use. Yet no.. here we have the most powerful wizard of all time and some 17 year old who got saved by his mummy. expelliarmus.. expelliarmus is the spell that harry chose to use in what could possibly his dying moments and he still manages to win!

sorry but in my opinion this is absolutely ridiculous. You'd at least use a killing curse or something.

I don't know about you, but i feel this was the biggest anticlimax to the entire series of books. I finished the book yesterday morning and i'm STILL annoyed at this. For some reason it keeps bugging me.. expelliarmus! for god's sake! aaaah!

oh and one more thing. I feel the 19 years later was completely unnecessary! How typical, Harry and Ginny.. Ron and hermoine. And the fact that his kids are named after Dumbledore and harrys parents is even more confusing! It took me about 15 minutes just to read thoes 5 pages because of all the names and stuff.

Now i know it can't be re-written or anything and this thread is probably going to lead nowhere but i just had to get it off my chest!

i've loved the harry potter books ever since they first came out. I even went at midnight (yes i'm cool) to get the 7th one. I was so looking foward to the end of the book. Expecting a huge battle. The death of either Ron, Hermione or even Harry. But no. Voldemort is killed by expelliarmus and everyone gets married and has kids.

i feel really let down. I would actualy have been happier if the book ended with Harry being killed in the forbidden forrest and then neville or someone killiing Nagini and Hermione Killing voldemort. That would've been much more satisfactory. I know that couldn't have happen cause its a kids book and stuff... however thoes of us who are no longer 12 i feel would've been pleased by a much more adult and (although upsetting) satisfactory ending.

It's a real shame i've had to write this. I've loved harry for so long and now i never want to read one of the books again :( ...

Does anyone else agree?

OK first of all. I loved LOVED how Voldemort used the killing curse and Harry used Expelliarmus. I mean there is no better way of showing the differences between these two characters.

On one side you have the great and evil and completely ignorant voldy. Voldy is the one who chooses what to believe, he believes he is undefeatable so he is, or so he thinks. He only looks at the facts that help him. He obviously doesn't do his research, he made one of the Hallows a Horcrux I mean thats just idiotic.

Then you have Harry who says over and over again that he wants the truth, about the Hallows the Horcruxes and especially about Dumbledore. And if you all remember that after Harry is moved from number 4 he gets chastised by Lupin because all he sent towards Stan Shunpike and the other death Eaters were disarming spells. And Harry replied "I won't blast people out of my way just because they're there, that's Voldemort's job." So you see Harry didn't use the killing curse because he doesn't believe in it.

So I say YAY! Harry for that one, i can't imagine Harry ever using the killing curse.

Ooh but I do agree with the last part of the book. 19 years later was just odd, and why the hell 19 wtf is that. it should be 20 or 7 or something. Idkw but that bugged the hell outta me. And i think one of the MAIN MAIN characters should've died to make it sadder. I like sad books they make me feel connected. I cried for most of the HP books. Like for when DD or Sirius died, but in this one the closest i came was when Dobby was killed, effing Bellatrix god i really hate her. She killed so many that i loved!!!

But overall this book kicked some major ass!!!

:thumbup:

Vendelay
July 24th, 2007, 09:38
I think the expelliarmus was a great spell to use. In case you haven't paid attention to what Dumbledore have said, killing people isn't good for your soul. Harry wouldn't wanna hurt himself by using the Avada Kedavra.

I didn't like the epilogue, though, and I was a bit dissapointed when Neville didn't die. I've always thought he would save the world and get killed doing so. Otherwise I think J.K Rowling did a great job.

oops89
July 24th, 2007, 10:48
if harry had have used a killing curse his soul would have been separated like when dumbledore said to snape about draco not being ready to have his soul separated, i got the feeling that dumbledore was sayin to snape that if snape did it then he wouldnt have hurt his soul because it wasnt so much murder because he was doing it for the greater good? but i probably got that wrong?

but yeah and also at the beginning voldemort was able to tell that harry was harry because he disarmed the death eater instead of aiming to hut because they knew that was 'his trademark' but yeah i think it was good that he used expelliarmus to defeat voldemort because of this and showing that you dont need to aim to kill to actually kill the bad guy? yeah? hmm...

also i think the elder wand would have killed him if he hadnt have done expelliarmus because voldemort said he could preform all the spells he could with his old wand but there was no difference so he would have been able to kill him? well i think he would have been able to...

Dobby
July 24th, 2007, 13:26
OK first of all. I loved LOVED how Voldemort used the killing curse and Harry used Expelliarmus. I mean there is no better way of showing the differences between these two characters.

Ooh but I do agree with the last part of the book. 19 years later was just odd, and why the hell 19 wtf is that. it should be 20 or 7 or something. Idkw but that bugged the hell outta me. And i think one of the MAIN MAIN characters should've died to make it sadder. I like sad books they make me feel connected. I cried for most of the HP books. Like for when DD or Sirius died, but in this one the closest i came was when Dobby was killed, effing Bellatrix god i really hate her. She killed so many that i loved!!!

But overall this book kicked some major ass!!!

:thumbup:

I have to agree with you in general.
But as with many others I did believe the ending to be a bit rushed and possibly cheezy.

I think JKR was trying to leave as much open as possible - so good on her. What we have to remember is that Jo has a load of notes on many of the characters - their parentage, their childhoods, their story line through the books and finally their futures - their are apparently so many notes that it has been impossible to put every detail in the books. She does give out some character details on her own website(JKRowling.com), details that are not contained in the books - Jo has plans for all the characters including Harry, Ron and Hermione.

Your question was however 'Why 19 years?'.
If it had been the aftermath of the battle then she wouldn't have been able to tell us that Harry was Happy with wife and family - we wouldn't know that Albus Severus was named after the two Headmasters and Harry believed Snape to be the bravest man he had ever known - we wouldn't learn that 'All was well', life goes on after death and that the Malfoys, Potters and Weasleys would still hold the same places in the wizarding world as when Harry first started school.

It had to be 19 years because there is a time line to be followed that Jo had already created.
Harry was 17, so add the rest of that year to bring Harry up to the age of 18 then add the 19 years, this will make Harry not long turned 37 and Ginny 36, their eldest son(James) was more than 11 and Albus 11, their daugher younger so their children were born when they were approximately 26+/-. So there is approximately a ten year gap where Harry gets over his ordeal along with the wizarding world, persues his career and marries Ginny. As we have learnt through the 7 years of Harry's life at Hogwarts - A lot can happen in that time.

If we go with Harry's birth dates also Albus-Severus was born between Sept 1st '06 and Aug 31st '07 so is either a small baby or not born yet. The scene on the platform will not take place for another 11 years, on September 1st 2017. I feel that for some reason Albus Severus Potter was probably born on 21st July 2007 (The day the book was released). And therefore that is the reason it 19 years later rather than 7 or 20.

padfoots
July 24th, 2007, 15:40

Does anyone else agree?

well i do aggree with you.the end deceived me.
i havn't been able to read entirely"19 years laters"-quite useless-...
and effectively voldemort death was quite fast for a great great wizard like him.
also i expected the death of a main caratacker:ron,harry ,hermione, ginny,or luna.
so i am as deceived as y are

padfoots
July 24th, 2007, 15:42
though , finishing harry potter books with a very sad death could have been quite too sad^^

DJam
July 24th, 2007, 16:20
I agree that Voldy's death was probably too quick but I don't think any more characters should have died. I think the problem is that J.k just isn't good at writing those kinds of scenes. She is a children's book writer and although her books became progressivly darker she just wasn't that great at killing characters off. I know that Serious and the DD deaths were pretty well done but that's because they were the only major deaths in their respective books. In the DH I think the prospect of killing off so many characters was difficult for her. When you look at just about every death in the book they were over and done with really quickly with the exception of Dobby.

Novello2410
July 24th, 2007, 16:30
right i agree it was good harry didn't use a killing curse etc becuase he's a good boy and what not. I just feel that after going through 7 years of harrys life, the big battle at hogwarts, harry missing death twice, people dying to protect him, his godfather dying shortly after meeting him... well to be honest i expected the final battle to be much better than it was. Seriously... 7 books all finished off with about three sentences of battle. dissapointed to say the least!

I understand it's a childrens book but i just feel for thoes of us who have matured along with the books.. we deserve a more adult ending rather than the happily ever after we've been given.

albus-severus-potter
July 24th, 2007, 16:47
but we know harry never had the skill to evn be close to match Voldermort. If the dueled and it lasted 20 minutes this would be realy realy stupid. A 17teen year old lasting 20 minutes then killing the darkest wizard of all time? When many Skillful people in the past had failed before harry?

padfoots
July 24th, 2007, 16:58
may be he could have finish him off at 3 bs 1 with ron and hermione

Koblizzy
July 24th, 2007, 18:58
why didn't ron or hermione die? this is so cheesy and happy ending-ish. this is the last and darkest book here...

zeth
July 24th, 2007, 19:46
If u guys were disappointed with the last book, try reading this..it's a fake version of book 7 but I think the author seems to know what he's doing..LOL

here's the link:
http://www.phoenixsong.net/fanfiction/story/3517/

If you're sad and hate that the HP mania would end, didn't like the last book, or you're just simply bored and got nothing to do..try reading it.. ;)

Novello2410
July 24th, 2007, 21:14
why didn't ron or hermione die? this is so cheesy and happy ending-ish. this is the last and darkest book here...

exactly!

padfoots
July 25th, 2007, 14:47
well on the over 200 chapter rowling has made on harry potter she messed up the last and more important one

shame

7thBookAFailure
August 9th, 2007, 22:33
Im with those against the ending of this book.

When i was reading through the book and got upto three-quarters with so much left to clarify, i began to wonder how on earth JKR would be able to finish off explaning everything in 'this many pages', (the last quarter or so)... obviously, it was all rushed and i soon realised the ending would be a great shame to the whole series of HP books...

Ron spoke parseltongue and made 'stupid hissing sounds'... ridiculous! It made the whole sinister concept of Parseltongue sound like child's play: the language that harry had learnt to speak due to the horcrux of Voldemort in his body, the horcrux of the darkest wizard of all time... and here's Ron making it look as easy as 1..2..3, nonsense...

Then, Nevile's head set on fire from the hat with the Body-Bind Curse and yet he musters the strength to life the curse and chop the snake's head off... what a freakin surprise that the 'magical protection' had lifted just before this was to happen!

Also, we've had 7 mighty books leading up to ultimately: the ultimate battle between the greatest dark wizard of all time and the only person who's eluded his killing curse ever... and what happens? 3 sentences of utter jiiberish, the sort of duels that first-years would have except with different spells.

7 years of training from Dumbledore and the rest of Hogwarts teachers to Harry and he can think of nothing but Expelliarmus! All of a sudden the greatest dark wizard ever falls back onto the ground and is... well dead! One little curse and thats that... the great Voldemort who has destroyed so many in the past dies so swiftly and boringly it made me quite upset. Voldemort who took out 3 hogwarts teachers with a flick of his wand before starting his warm and cosy conversation with dear old Harry is destroyed by a little spell like Expelliarmus!
Everybody then cheers and shouts and they all go and shake his hands and hug him and its all so happy and joyful wow-wee! What an anticlimax, a real shame really.

And the amount of sheer luck that Harry had to find those horcruxes and defeat Voldemort was insane! The way everything which seems so difficult and challenging just happens so easily and readily its unbelievable. Like its all there laid out for him.

And the epilogue, omg what was JKR thinking??? The ridiculous names made me laugh my head off! Lily Potter junior with red hair and James Potter! They are brothers and sisters with the same names as their grandparents, how awkward is that!!

And the predictability of Ron & Hermione, and Harry & Ginny! How cheesy and happy happy happy. Such a weird anti-climax its really disappointing. We didnt hear about George, the rest of the Weasley brothers apart from the Ron, (Percy was mentioned too but i was confused there), we didnt know what happens to Arthur and Weasley, Fleur and Bill... kingsley? The Dursleys? The hogwarts teachers??

We didnt even find out where Harry, Ginny, Ron and Hermione worked?

And most of all, what happens to that room where Sirius slipped and where (i think) Harry heard sounds of the dead talking??? JKR didnt clarify that at all! (this was in the previous book i think)

I cant even believe how jolly old Molly went in and took out Bellatrix, the closest servant to Voldemort!

This was meant to be the most sinister book of them all, a terrifying conclusion to the battles fought between good and evil over the years, decades and even centuries but what we get a happy cheesy ending where all is so well its like Voldemort never even existed... 19 years his scar didnt hurt? Awww so sweet... *rolls eyes*

andy.m
August 13th, 2007, 04:21
totally agree
experlliumus was a let down to end on one of the greatest Wizarding battles ever.

But in saying that I really enjoyed everything about the book. I was enthrawlled and gripped by each page.

Didn't bother reading the end bit though. It was just not needed and should have been left open.
Much better I thought to have Snape appear in one of the portraits next to Dumbledore with a smile for Harry.

Swimkid
August 13th, 2007, 19:19
I was totally for the ending of this book. Totally unexpected the way harry lived and came back ect. Ron and Hermione. Bound to happen eventually. I thought it gave the book a nice little sideplot thing.

The final spell from Harry. Complete let down but I guess it was to be expected from Harry.

SnesR0X
August 15th, 2007, 08:23
At least swimkid seems to have some sense. Kill Ron and Hermione? What the hell are you on? Why would you KILL the people that you read the book for? It didn't matter very much what spell Harry used, because he knew the wand wasn't going to work for Voldemort anyway. It was obvious he was going to try to kill Harry again, no matter what he was told. If Harry had done any other spell, Riddle would be on his face dead before it hit him.

Swimkid
August 16th, 2007, 17:33
At least swimkid seems to have some sense. Kill Ron and Hermione? What the hell are you on? Why would you KILL the people that you read the book for? It didn't matter very much what spell Harry used, because he knew the wand wasn't going to work for Voldemort anyway. It was obvious he was going to try to kill Harry again, no matter what he was told. If Harry had done any other spell, Riddle would be on his face dead before it hit him.

Im behind you 100% SnesR0X. And I guess the spell that Harry used aagainst Voldemort is a good symbole for how he doesn't beleive in killing even when he is faced with suure death. Perfect way to show a battle between Good and Evil.

7thBookAFailure
August 16th, 2007, 22:31
yea i agree with Harry being a goody goody and not using the AK curse, but cmon... expelliarmus getting rid of the greatest dark wizard of all time??? Thats just disappointing

SnesR0X
August 16th, 2007, 23:01
yea i agree with Harry being a goody goody and not using the AK curse, but cmon... expelliarmus getting rid of the greatest dark wizard of all time??? Thats just disappointing

I think you are missing the point. Expelliarmus didn't get rid of him, it just made the wand go over to Harry. He could have just stood there and Voldemort would have owned himself.

7thBookAFailure
August 17th, 2007, 16:46
ok, so after all of this, he ends up just killing himself right? Even lamer :-/

Cloudhunter
August 18th, 2007, 00:14
You fail to get the point of the book.

The point is, you can defeat someone without trying to harm them and that there are other ways than violence to beat people.

I liked the ending, a little unexpected but alright.

Cloudy

7thBookAFailure
August 18th, 2007, 16:24
yea but its still an anti-climax to this massive build-up of tension between harry and voldemort